main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Did the Jedi lose their way?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by HolyKenobi93, May 1, 2021.

?

Did the Jedi lose their way?

1. Yes

17 vote(s)
    38.6%
  2. No

9 vote(s)
    20.5%
  3. yes and no

18 vote(s)
    40.9%
  1. HolyKenobi93

HolyKenobi93 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 15, 2020
    I've been thinking about this question a lot lately. There seems to be two main common schools of thought that I have encountered on this forum. Apologies in advance if I misrepresent anyone here.

One group argues that the Jedi did not lose their way but were simply deceived by Palpatine and failed to discover his plot until it was too late and, even then, only because of Anakin's betrayal.

The second is that the Jedi did indeed lose their way, at least to some extent.This line of thought tends to hold up Qui Gon and Luke as examples of what a "true Jedi" should be. Qui Gon goes against the council in TPM by insisting to train Anakin while Luke goes against Obi Wan's instructions in ROTJ and tries to save Vader. The argument goes that the Jedi council lacks compassion in comparison and have become detached by the time of the prequels and that this contributes to the rise of the Sith. Luke is then able to restore the true values of the order after ROTJ (though obviously this doesn't work out in the ST).

Given what we see in the films I am partial to the second interpretation but I would like to hear counter arguments.

Last edited: May 1, 2021
  2. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    What I see is that, ''the power'' should be controlled, or ''the power'' will control others eventually. The Jedi have the power for no doubt, they can do things that other people can't do. Yes, it's not a exactly a super power like Hulk or Thor has, they can't alone go against the armies on their own, but they still have a power, they call them ''space wizards'' for a reason.

So when they don't fight ''evil'' Sith, and when there is no Sith, or dark side to fight, they almost become useless, and in time they have become political. The director also mentioned this, he didn't say why, but he said they have become political, and except for Qui-Gon, and later Yoda, they lost their ways.

But as I said, this is also because I believe, Sith decided to go hiding instead of fighting Jedi directly in open war, which kind of lead Jedi to become political during this 1000 years gap without Sith.

Iron_lord likes this.
  3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    I voted yes and no because I agree with argument/perspective 1 in that the Jedi were manipulated but the reason why they could be so easily leads me to espouse perspective 2. They've become locked into not being guardians of peace and justice so much as the extension and mouthpiece of the politicos/Senate. And the more corrupt the Republic becomes the more imbalanced the Jedi's overarching mandate.

4. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    There's nothing in Lucas's movies, or in Lucas's own comments on this topic, that supports the idea that the Jedi lost their way.

Qui-Riv-Brid and Subtext Mining like this.
  5. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I'd say that in the PT they went from being guardians of peace & justice to heading off the overthrow an entire elected government on their own initiative demonstrates that they had, indeed, lost focus. Yes, they were played by Palpatine, but he exploited flaws that already existed, in both individual Jedi (like Ani) and the Order as a whole.

6. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Oh they most certainly did!

Iron_lord likes this.
  7. KappaK

KappaK Jedi Youngling

Apr 23, 2021
    I'm not sure the Jedi lost their way, but those in control of the Jedi Council probably did. Overly beaureacrat, dominated by a few strong personalities, and dissenting opinions not welcome. Classic case of group think and yes men. That's my impression anyway.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

8. No I believe Prequel Jedi is what humans should be in real life

devilinthedetails likes this.
  9. Watcherwithin

Watcherwithin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2017
    There’s a widespread conception that the Jedi forbiddance of attachment is inhuman, sociopathic, or not the “true Jedi” way.(like the idea that Qui-Gon opposed Yoda’s philosophy or Yoda changed his beliefs on Dagobah) they are consistent in their beliefs in both trilogies. This teaching is based on real world beliefs about how humans are to prevent suffering knowing that you and everyone you love will inevitably die and George Lucas made the Star Wars prequels to show this

Last edited: May 2, 2021
  10. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Mace Windu: The boy has exceptional skills.
    Obi-Wan: But he still has much to learn, Master. His abilities have made him... well, arrogant.
    Yoda: Yes. Yes. A flaw more and more common among Jedi. Too sure of themselves they are. Even the older, more experienced ones.

I think this bit of dialogue (as well as earlier dialogue showing Mace Windu in particular to be arrogantly wrong about a bunch of stuff) establishes the Jedi as having lost their way at least in one sense.

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yes and no. I think they got too dogmatic and set in their ways, and could not perceive the idea that maybe they were being played, because ‘the Sith have been extinct for a millennia.’

But ultimately their demise can be blamed on no one but Palpatine, and Anakin for his role in it.

12. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Filoni, who of course was given story direction during TCW from GL, said that the assessment that they had lost their way and were in the trawls of the Dark Lord, as being a correct assessment.

Erkan12 likes this.
  13. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I'm familiar with Filoni's opinion on the matter. More importantly, I'm also familiar with George Lucas' opinion and the differences between the two.

There's a difference between being trapped/deceived and losing one's way. The Jedi didn't lose their way, anymore than the few honorable senators within the Republic lost their way. They were simply trapped in their positions of servants.

14. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    This presumes a level of pacifically on the part of the Jedi which borders upon the incompetent and complacent, which I would argue amounts to losing one's way given their stated mission. They were all together far too uncritical of the situation going on around them, or if they were critical, they were unwilling to act decisively due to a misplaced sense of duty and honour to serve a decaying system.

Last edited: May 3, 2021
  15. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    In what way were the Jedi incompetent, complacent, or uncritical of the situation going on around them? Keep in mind that the Jedi, or any character for that matter, are not omniscient nor do they have the knowledge the audience has.

Qui-Riv-Brid and Riv_Shiel like this.
  16. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    They are aware that the state which they are serving has become corrupt and ineffectual, giving rise to a constitutional crisis in the form of threatened separatism. When the crisis escalates to civil war they take the side of the loyalist by commanding an army of slaves against what is acknowledged to be people with honest grievances against the system. At this point it's arguable, by not abstaining from an active part in the prosecution of the war effort (and not taking the role of negotiators, like a neutral party or the Red Cross in our world), how they are serving peace or justice in the Republic? By wars end Padme is outright saying that the Republic effectively no longer exists, which means that the Jedi are, for all intents and purposes, lending their abilities to a proto-fascist state.

Kenneth Morgan and Iron_lord like this.
  17. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Incorrect. The Jedi serve the Republic, not those who decide to leave it. And the war didn't start because the Separatists simply decided to leave, but because as Dooku (the leader of the Separatist movement) revealed, they were planning to attack the Republic.

The Jedi, as servants of the Republic, were drafted into service as generals of the Republic's army. And they never treated the clones as slaves. They served alongside them and treated them as individuals.

The Jedi are not in the war because they endorse it. They are in the war because they are servants of the Republic they swore to serve. A Republic that for all intents and purposes (as far as everyone but the Sith knew) was under attack. And their only goal is to end the war and restore peace.

Padmé may "recognize" that by the time the war ends, but the totalitarian power was given by the senate and its senators, not by the Jedi, years before. The Jedi are not happy that there is a war, and they are not happy with the Chancellor either, specially with the growing amount of power he obtained throughout the war. That's completely beside the point.

As Lucas explains, it's not the role of the Jedi to get involved in the political process. They can't stop the senate from willingly giving away its power to the Chancellor, nor should they. The Jedi need to let the political process go, and they do.

18. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    "Life creates the Force, and makes it grow." Jedi are supposed to be servants of the Force, and life, which means people first, not republics or senates. By becoming servants of political entities, they fell from their duty to people.

19. HolyKenobi93

HolyKenobi93 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 15, 2020
    This is the key exchange, I think, which serves as evidence that the Jedi lost their way. Let me try to break it down:
    a) Individual Jedi becoming arrogant is not sufficient to prove that the order, as a body, has lost its way.
    b) To show this you would need evidence that either, the core tenets of the Jedi's teachings have changed OR
    c) The leadership (ie. the Jedi council) has become corrupt.

There is no evidence for (b), at least as far as I'm aware so the core of the debate should center around (c).

So is there evidence that the council has lost their way? Some common accusations are:
    1) The Jedi express belief that Dooku cannot have turned because he is a former Jedi and "its not in his character."
    2) Mace is prepared to execute Palpatine on the spot without a trial.
    3) Yoda's "Failed, I have" and later "Wars not make one great" are interpreted by many as admonitions of guilt/regret.
    4) Obi Wan believes that Vader is beyond redemption, Luke proves him wrong.

However:
    1) It could be argued that this misplaced trust in Dooku arose from the Jedi's personal relationship with him as opposed to an arrogant belief in their own infallibility.
    2) This could be justified given the grave consequences if Palpatine escapes and considering that he has control over the senate and the courts.
    3) These statements could easily be interpreted in other ways. The former as a simple statement regarding Yoda's immediate failure to defeat Sidious, the latter as a broad statement on the ugly nature of war.
    4) Yoda does not tell Luke that he must destroy Vader, only confront him. This is a blind spot for Obi Wan and not necessarily indicative of a lack of compassion on the part of the council or the order large writ.

I am a little on the fence myself as much of this is a matter of interpretation. Does anyone know if Lucas has said anything about these scenes specifically?

But they do get involved later when they agree to remove the Chancellor from office if he won't give up his emergency powers.

20. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    I voted "yes and no" in the poll because I tend to think that the answer is kind of a nuanced one.

The Jedi weren't totally deceived by Palpatine. As far back AOTC, Obi-Wan was warning Anakin about not trusting Palpatine too much, and it's Anakin that is arguing Palpatine is an upstanding guy. It's also clear pretty early on in ROTS that the Jedi Council does not trust Palpatine, and that there is little love lost between Mace and Palpatine in particular. Indeed, that is the whole reason that the Council has Anakin spy on Palpatine for them in the first place, and Anakin fulfills his role as a spy and informant when he reports back to the Council that Palpatine is a Sith Lord. So, the Jedi definitely smell a rat where Palpatine is concerned. They don't sense that he is the Sith Lord, but they are suspicious of him arguably as far back as AOTC and our actively taking steps to monitor him and even planning to depose him if necessary should he not surrender his emergency powers after Grevious is killed. Therefore, I think it would be unfair to act as if Palpatine completely pulled the wool over their eyes and they never suspected anything rotten with him when their actions and words throughout ROTS make it clear that they did indeed mistrust him and were making moves to counter him.

Beyond that, it should be noted that Palpatine manages to deceive a vast majority of the Senate. After all, it is the Senate that greets Palpatine's rise to Emperor with applause, cheering as their Republic turns into an Empire. As Padme astutely observes, "So this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause." So, the Senate has obviously lost their way much more than the Jedi. The Senate, as a whole, are cheering the rise of the Empire, and it is the Jedi, who would be opposed to the rise of this Empire, whom Palpatine must eliminate because they would be a threat to his stranglehold on power. It seems to me, therefore, that the Senate and democratic, representative government as a whole has lost its way far more than the Jedi, who still uphold their principles enough that they do not applaud this new Empire with Palpatine at the helm. So it is interesting to me that the Jedi get dumped with a majority of the blame for the collapse of the Republic when the Senate was cheering as the Republic fell and in many ways it was the corruption of the Senate that Palpatine exploited to gain power. In the PT, the Jedi come across as pillars doing all they can to support a crumbling structure that is rotting from within, but ultimately, the structure cannot be held up forever. The rot eventually destroys the structure, but the Jedi are not the rot in the structure. Nor even is Palpatine really. The rot set in even before Palpatine came to power and was what allowed him to rise in the first place. It's the rot we know from living in democratic and representative governments in our own world. When the structure inevitably falls, it's probably nice to pretend that the pillars are at fault and had failed in their job as pillars after millenia of filling that role very well indeed, but the truth is it's probably more on the mold and decay than anything else.

I don't really agree with any school of thought that puts Qui-Gon on too much of a pedestal to be honest. TPM Qui-Gon had flaws, blindspots, and was capable of misunderstanding things just like any other Jedi or any other individual in a galaxy far, far away or on our own planet. It could be argued that Qui-Gon makes a mistake going against the Council's wishes and insisting on training Anakin. If Anakin hadn't been trained as a Jedi after all, he might not have fallen to the Dark Side or not have been able to do as much damage as he did if he had never been trained as a Jedi. So, I don't see it as a clearcut situation of Qui-Gon being in the right to oppose the Council in this regard. Given that Anakin eventually grows up to become Darth Vader, I don't think Obi-Wan is exactly in the wrong to insist that Anakin is dangerous. Nor is the Council wrong to be concerned about Anakin's attachments or his fear. Yoda is one hundred percent spot on when he cautions Anakin that fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, and hate leads to suffering. Anakin has a deep fear of loss that he cannot control and indeed doesn't even want to control despite his years of Jedi instruction, and that is what leads not only to his own suffering but the suffering of the galaxy as a whole here. And even if it is a case where Obi-Wan is so incompetent at teaching Anakin that Anakin couldn't help but fall to the Dark Side (which I don't believe, because I could easily see Anakin choosing to remain on the Light Side even as late as the farewell scene between Obi-Wan and Anakin when Obi-Wan is going off to hunt Grevious), then it can't be ignored that the only reason Obi-Wan initially decides to train Anakin is because he promises a dying Qui-Gon he will. So, if Obi-Wan is such an innately terrible teacher, that would kind of be a flaw in Qui-Gon's judgment in itself. Which is why I do not see Qui-Gon as perfect and don't put him on a pedestal. I see him as a good Jedi, a good man, and a good mentor to Obi-Wan, but really not any more of a true Jedi than Obi-Wan or Yoda. To me, Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Yoda, and Luke as well (except in TLJ, where I think he is the clearest depiction of any Jedi who hasn't fallen to the Dark Side losing his way that we ever saw in a Star Wars saga film) were all true Jedi in their own ways. Each of them was different, but each strove to live according to Jedi principles as they understood them.

Luke goes to Vader in part because Vader can sense him and so as long as Luke stays with Leia and the others, he is something of a liability to them. He also wants to try to redeem his father, and it should be noted that this almost fails and results in Luke's death. It is only a last minute change of heart by Vader that allows this to work. Obi-Wan's advice isn't exactly bad seeing as Padme back in ROTS tries to reason with Vader and save Vader and she is rewarded for her efforts with a Force choke. So, how many of Vader's family members is Obi-Wan supposed to be okay with seeing Vader kill on the off-chance that maybe this time Vader will feel a twinge of conscience and not be evil any more? Remember that ROTS Anakin rejects appeals by both Padme and Obi-Wan in pursuit of his power and the Dark Side on Mustafar. So, it's not like nobody has ever tried to reach poor Vader before.

Luke's actions in ROTJ are noble and self-sacrificing, but the purpose of the Jedi isn't really to redeem lost souls like Vader. It is to serve as guardians of peace and justice in the Republic. That is what the Jedi were trying to do throughout the PT, and they never lost sight of trying to do that.

I was never really convinced that the Jedi Council as we saw them in the main saga films lacked compassion. Most of the time when people accuse the Jedi Council of lacking compassion it is just because the Council didn't bow to Anakin's every wish and whim, but giving Anakin everything he wants is not the definition of compassion. The Jedi Order we see in the PT largely focuses on trying to maintain peace and justice in the Republic, a compassionate mission, and certainly the galaxy seems to be in a better state with the Jedi doing so than with the Jedi not doing so. I'd definitely rather be an average civilian prior to TPM than post-ROTJ or post-TROS so that really shows how much Jedi compassion impacted the galaxy.

As to the Jedi being detached, I think that is in a sense what the Jedi are supposed to be. Detachment, however, shouldn't be confused with lack of compassion, because we see compassion both with individual Jedi like Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, and Yoda and from the Order as a whole as they seek to support peace and justice in the galaxy, but more thought of in the spiritual way that exists in beliefs like Buddhism on our own planet. Key to the Jedi philosophy as far as I understand it would be that attachments produce suffering. In other words, the answer to the eternal question of: "Why do we suffer?" is "Because we are attached." So when a Jedi like Yoda urges non-attachment principles, that counsel comes from a place of compassion. Same as if such advice came from a Tibetan monk in our world. It is all about finding that sense of deep serenity that comes from detachment. We don't necessarily have to agree with that advice. It's even understandable if we do not. However, it would be a bit unfair of us to claim that this belief or philosophy is motivated by a lack of compassion. When really it is a compassion rooted in ending suffering by escaping attachment. Ending suffering is an inherently compassionate objective.

That is why Yoda's advice to Anakin when Anakin comes to him about his dreams of death is not lacking in compassion. Yoda is trying to guide Anakin to a spiritual place where he can accept death. That is why he instructs Anakin to train himself to let go of everything he fears to lose. If Anakin had taken this advice, had learned how to accept death and trained himself to let go of everything he feared to lose, he would not have fallen to the Dark Side. He wouldn't have gone on mass slaughters as if that was the way to save Padme (who, notably, never asks Anakin to save her from death, and from TPM through ROTS, actually reiterates on multiple occasions that she is not afraid to die, so Anakin's fear is all about him and his selfishness and not at all about "compassion" for her). So, really, it is Anakin who has lost his way in selfishness, fear, and possesion here rather than Yoda. Yoda accepts death and loss as a natural part of life. Anakin does not. I'd say Anakin's perspective is the more warped and unhealthy one here.

That being said, I think the Jedi of the PT are diminished compared to their High Republic selves. In the High Republic novels and comics, we are seeing that the Jedi embraced numerous perceptions of the Force and had many Temple outposts that allowed them to effectively serve different areas of the Republic. They also seemed to have certain skills that we don't see from the Jedi in the PT and even let Jedi sort of go of by themselves to find their unique ways in the universe. So, I think relative to that high water mark, the Jedi had lost their way a bit in the PT.

I would be interested in seeing more how the Jedi fell from their pinnacle in the High Republic era to what we see of them in the PT, and I do think we might get that sort of story in the later stages of the High Republic content although probably not for awhile yet.

It wouldn't surprise me though if a large part of that deteroriation came from the onset of political rot and corruption within the Republic. Rot and corruption not caused by the Jedi. That the Jedi tried to stand strong against but that ended up overwhelming the Jedi, resulting in the collapse of not just the Jedi but the Republic they served. I suspect that if the Jedi lost their way by the time the PT rolled around, it was because the Republic they served had already lost its way and become mired in corruption and political rot. The Republic was lost first, in other words. And that was the fault of everyone in the galaxy.

As far as the Separatists go, they were led by beings at least as corrupt as those in the Republic. Palpatine was playing both sides in the conflict. Not like the Separatists were bastions of virtue, and to me, they came across as being dominated by corrupt corporate interests. Be sort of like if some corrupt corporations led a "revolution" against the US government. Like, yeah, the US government has some definite issues, but I think government by Walmart and McDonalds would be even worse. Not sure I'd blame anyone for being opposed to rule by massive corporate interests.

So, that's basically my perspective. The Jedi have their flaws both individually and collectively. They fell a bit from their glory of the High Republic days. However, I think Anakin lost his way far more and that often gets ignored by those who would lambast the Jedi as lacking compassion. As did the Republic and Senate that cheered as the Republic became an Empire ruled by Palpatine.

21. Erkan12

Nov 27, 2013
    Eh, Palpatine is a product of 1000 years of Sith planning, and Sith growing stronger with each generation. I don't think it would be fair to say it's just Palpatine, for the Sith part.

As for the Jedi part, I think their ability to see and predict the future was blinded by the dark side of the Force, mostly because of Sidious and because of his previous Sith lords before Sidious such as Plagueis.

I think Filoni's opinion is based on what he sees in Phantom Menace, he says Qui-Gon isn't part of the Jedi Council, Qui-Gon even declines their offer to take a seat in Jedi Council in new canon novel, because Qui-Gon knows Jedi lost their way. Which is why basically, Qui-Gon was ahead of every Jedi in the PT except for Yoda, and which is why we've seen Qui-Gon's story, and the story of his apprentices Obi-Wan and Anakin, and which is why Qui-Gon even teaches Yoda how to be immortal, as Yoda says ''An old friend has learned to path to immortality''. If the best Jedi that we've seen in the movies is not even part of the Jedi council, then there is something wrong with that Jedi council, that's what Lucas wrote for Phantom Menace.

Sarge likes this.
  22. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I went with no. I think more what really happened is they became too widely integrated and involved in too much. They always had the same basic intentions, but the state of the Republic caused things to get away from them, and they became more or less overwhelmed...watered down...spread too thin.

23. Erkan12

Nov 27, 2013
    I think Anakin joining to the Sith was never on the table until Maul ''seemingly'' died in Phantom Menace, and that was before Qui-Gon believing that Anakin wouldn't turn to the dark side, after the death of Maul, Palpatine was forced to turn another Jedi to the dark side, because he wasn't planning that before because he already had a perfectly trained Sith apprentice Maul.

So what happened in Phantom Menace was a bad trade and tragedy for both sides; Jedi lost Qui-Gon, Sith lost Maul, thus Anakin can become a candidate for the empty Sith apprentice seat, because Maul died because of fighting against Qui-Gon + his apprentice Obi-Wan, and because Qui-Gon died due to fighting Maul, Anakin become even more vulnerable to the dark side, as he lost his father figure Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan could never replace Qui-Gon at that point.

When you consider this; Maul isn't dead, Qui-Gon isn't dead (at least until he fully trains Anakin) there could be no problem at all. Anakin wouldn't be vulnerable to the dark side when Qui-Gon is still alive, and no Jedi can take Maul's place in the Sith since Maul's alive.

Qui-Gon was indeed ahead of every Jedi in PT, except for Yoda. There is a reason that Qui-Gon trained Obi-Wan perfectly, and there is a reason that Qui-Gon finds the way to immortality, and he teaches that to even Yoda.

If Qui-Gon didn't take Anakin as his apprentice, and if he didn't tell Obi-Wan to train Anakin, what would happen? I think the Sith would still succeed.

Yes, maybe both Maul and Qui-Gon would died and Obi-Wan could succeed against Maul again. But then, who could stop the next new Sith Lord, + resurrected Maul in the Clone Wars, + Sidious?

-Obi-Wan failed against Dooku several times.
    -Obi-Wan again failed against Maul in the Clone Wars several times. At one point, even Mace Windu failed against Maul in the Clone Wars (Son of Dathomir comic book issue 03)
    -And we know for sure that Obi-Wan couldn't do anything against Sidious.

And If I remember correctly, Anakin says that he saved Obi-Wan's life more than once (could be 9th time saving Obi-Wan's life in Revenge of the Sith).

So to assume that if not for Anakin, the Jedi would succeed against the Sith is wrong in my opinion.

Remember; even if we act like everything would be the same without Anakin, (without Anakin's success against Dooku and saving Obi-Wan's life several times), and if we assume that Anakin wouldn't be in Chancellor's office to betray Mace Windu to save Sidious, that scene would never happen without Anakin in the big picture.

Because remember; Sidious himself told his real identity to Anakin, and then Anakin told that to Mace Windu, thus that leading Mace Windu + other Jedi to surprise attack Sidious at Chancellor's office, if not for Anakin, Mace Windu and other Jedi could never learn Sidious's true identity, thus the duel between Mace Windu and Sidious wouldn't happen, Sidious would just activate Order 66 at some point and end the war and end the Jedi, with Anakin or without Anakin. So I don't see a way to save the Jedi with Anakin or without Anakin in PT.

And in the end, Anakin betrays Sidious in RotJ and saves Luke, and Anakin plays his role successfully in RotJ. Without Anakin, that would also never happen, so no one could stop Sidious in RotJ and after.

Iron_lord likes this.
  24. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No, Jedi are not supposed to be servants of the Force. They work with the will of the Force, in a balanced way, to serve the people they were entrusted with. In this case, the people within the Republic that give them jurisdiction to act as keepers of peace and justice.

No, they do not agree to anything. They simply discuss what they might need to do if the worse thing happens.

None of that is established in TPM. In TPM, Qui-Gon is a maverick who often clashes with the Council, but there is no animosity between each other. Qui-Gon does respect and follow the will of the Council, even if they disagree. That means he respects the Jedi Order and the Jedi way they all share.

No, it isn't. That's taking Filoni's opinion as fact while ignoring everything the movies present us with. Qui-Gon is not ahead of anyone. Qui-Gon is not "the best Jedi". Qui-Gon is simply a Jedi. Same with Yoda, same with Obi-Wan, etc.

Qui-Gon teaches Yoda how to retain his identity because he learned from someone else, the Force Priestesses, and those he taught were no different from him in that regard and were deemed worthy of the knowledge.

Qui-Riv-Brid likes this.
  25. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I feel that even without Anakin as a Sith-or even being part of the picture, the Jedi were fighting a losing battle anyway. The corruption in the Republic and the emergence of the clone wars came about despite Anakin being part of the picture. By the time we reach the end of the clone wars, IMO there's no way the Jedi would've been able to kill Palpatine and expect to take control of the senate and bring back peace the way they thought they could. There would have been such the backlash. Yoda was right when he expressed how dangerous that was. And order 66 was still in Sidious' plans-regardless of Anakin's actions. Darth Vader was simply a tool Sidious used to help him in this.

I feel that the fall of the Republic, destruction of the Jedi and emergence of the Empire would still have happened, even without Anakin either turning to the Darkside, or even without him in the picture at all. I suppose if Anakin had never turned, he could've helped the Rebellion (and any remaining Jedi) defeat the Empire-and it would've happened in much less time. But IMO the fall of the Republic was too well-seeded by the Sith, and no actions by any one person would've been enough to prevent it by the time of TPM.