main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Did the LEGO Holiday Special influence your ST thoughts?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by 2Cleva, Nov 17, 2020.

1. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    I was looking forward to the LEGO Holiday Special as it being the first post-ST canon work on screen (TV/film). I've ignored the books and comics because its clear to me that those narratives have to fit what's on screen and can be overruled.

Observations
    - It starts off with some consistency from the ST movies. Rey, even while training, begins as a butt to Finn. Had to laugh at that.
    - A strong attachment to the OT in the time travel scenes.
    - I didn't know whether to laugh or facepalm at the Luke/Milk jokes.

The general feel I had - things seemed to reset to TFA. Kylo/Ben back to villain mode, Rey/Finn close again, there is supposed to be a real relationship between Luke/Rey.

2. reyvision

reyvision Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2017
    It's a special for kids, that I'm pretty sure isn't meant to be canon, but I thought it was fun. I liked that Rey was training Finn, that she's having doubts about how to be a good Jedi Master. I enjoyed the call backs to all the previous movies. I thought it was funny. I liked that Rey had to learn over the course of the special that she should be a better friend to her friends, LOL.

The one thing that did bother me was the lack of Leia, though. They really built up Rey and Luke as having been this amazing master/padawan thing when canon just didn't give us that, lol. I get that for "Rey Skywalker" to land, they do have to sort of pretend it did, but they should've given some attention to Leia, considering she's the one who actually did teach Rey.

Oh and I'm sure the Kylo/Hux shippers enjoyed the bone the special gave them. I laughed. [face_laugh]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
  3. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    It's just a silly fun special for kids with logic you probably shouldn't think too hard about.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
  4. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    maybe you've just described star wars as a whole. Love it!!

lovethedarkside likes this.
  5. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I was concerned at the use of time travel again. Sure, it's Lego animation, but I really don't have any appetite for either seeing the ST re-written (and I say that as someone who does't like the ST... but it is what it is) or, for example, Palpatine being saved from the DS2 by Snoke etc. But I keep telling myself... 'it's only a cartoon. It's only a cartoon'...

Shadao and EHT like this.
  6. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Its not canon. none of this stuff will suddenly be brought up later on. and if it was, it would be messy. they just had fun playing with time travel and didn't really think that hard about it. its just a comedic fun little animated special

Shadao, Awushi Awere and Lord Exor like this.
  7. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    who is claiming it’s canon? the op is just asking if it influenced anyone’s views on the actual ST.

anyways I haven’t watched it yet, but I have nothing else to do this morning so may as well give it a try, looks fun enough

2Cleva likes this.
  8. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I usually take stuff like this as semi-canon. It's an exaggerated depiction of a scenario I can buy.
    Maybe Rey really just had a series of visions that helped her better understand how to tackle the burden of being a Jedi Master.
    Maybe the gang did go to Kashyyyk for Life Day and Poe did get emotional, just without the knitted holiday sweater :p

I don't know if it affects my thoughts on the ST, though. It's just a bit of fun post-trilogy lore!

True. That is bothersome. Granted, Leia was never a Jedi apprentice in the movies, but they could've showed her being trained by Luke inbetween trilogies - and maybe one of Rey's own training sessions with Leia, to give Rey a new perspective on it.

Of course, this film is just an excuse to have fun with scenes we're familiar with across the Saga, but it's a little unfortunate that it ends up being just Rey and the boys.

Which brings me to:

Indeed! Why not balance things up a bit and make it even more hilariously complicated by involving characters from the first trilogy in the actual story? Have Sidious from two different eras, plus Vader, Maul, Obi-Wan, young Anakin etc fight over past/future betrayals and failures. A recipe for some epic fun! [face_party]

BTW: I'm not very fond of Poe's reference to Jar Jar's Senate speech. It's nice that he's at least mentioned and I know it's meant to be in good fun, but to do it in the context of him bringing disaster upon the galaxy is still pretty meanspirited. It just adds fuel to the flame and is especially nasty coming from an official Lucasfilm product. Give the character a break, already!

Shadao likes this.
  9. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    That was my intention. I did use the word canon but I didn't mean in it being strict to the story. Yes - the holiday special is kids focused but that's the money Disney wants from SW - to loop in the kids which drives the families. How they represent their characters to kids is one of if not the biggest decision everyone makes at Disney each day.

The summary of what the ST was and how the galaxy stands post-ST does mean something. It reflects what Disney is trying to sell (like the first on-screen talk about Batuu/Galaxy Edge). Dismissing it would be a mistake.

All imo of course.

Shadao, Chémus, Glitterstimm and 5 others like this.
  10. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    yes, this is a good point to keep in mind, having just watched it I think it did a decent job of that.

I was actually surprised at just how much ST focused this ended up being. Like the whole story is basically just Rey learning/realizing she needs to be a better friend. What a cool message.

also I loved seeing Max Rebo, it’s now my head canon that he survived the sail barge.

2Cleva likes this.
  11. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
    As I see it, Finn leaves the party with Rey: as the audience; we are Finn and, just like Finn, we don't get it at the end.

What's 'it'? It doesn't seem to be time travel. Rey doesn't travel to the future, since it's always in motion. And the past is not changed. If anything, Rey helps the past to happen as it did.

It's a metaphor about identity. Anakin made that same journey -he became his pre-Vader self after dying- and stayed there. Then he was 'purified': he's 23 as a FG. As if Vader never happened.

This little story happened after Exegol but before Tatooine, right? But in Tatooine the weapon goes from green to blue just before being ignited. Like that time travel crystal.

We see Anakin in ROTJ, but Ben is not seen again after disappearing in Exegol.

As if Jake Lloyd had been made a part of episode VII, with the past sleeping inside of him.

At some point (90s) Lucas woke 1983 Anakin up - after recognizing him. He had been there all along.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/screenrant.com/star-wars-anakin-built-c3po-george-lucas-1977/amp/

jaimestarr likes this.
  12. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Yes - the story did become more ST focused as it went on. Four of the biggest debates of the ST post-mortem are the relationship of Rey with Finn, Luke, Kylo/Ben, Palpatine. This film addressed all of them in depth.

Rey/Finn - focus throughout highlights how Rey wasn't a friend to Finn in need - issues observed of the ST in the last 2 films. This seemed to rectify it.
    Rey/Luke - could also add Rey/Leia. Despite minimal training by Luke in the films, this work still makes it clear that Luke is Rey's master.
    Rey/Kylo/Ben - although Rey calls out for Ben to do good, this work doesn't put any illusions that Kylo was a sympathetic or good character or that the kids watching should feel sympathy for him. Him being Supreme Leaders is what it wanted to establish. In fact - Anakin/Vader gets that nod again as the sympathetic Skywalker.
    Rey/Palpatine - no reference at all to their relationship.

Side note - that 45 minute cartoon did a better job of Palpatine being the big bad guy than TROS.

13. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    While the Special didn’t influence my thoughts on the ST, I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Palpatine was brilliant and there was a bit of a Robot Chicken feel to some scenes. Time travel was a nice device for combining the different trilogies. Most importantly, kids will enjoy it. For kids who only really know the ST, it might spark some curiosity about the PT and the OT.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  14. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    loved it made the sw world a united happy world in my head.. love seeing the three trilogies interlock so well and so funny... which is the main thing

15. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    I do not think Vader got a nod as sympathetic. Infact i notice with Vaded in these lego specials he is often a joke. Palpatine wants to replace Vader with Kylo, Vader is left irritated about being replaced. And there is another lego special made years ago that did something similar with Maul where Vaded was the jealous younger brother type figure when Maul comes home.

I mean there is even a moment where Vader is all "i'm coming my master" when palpatine is in trouble and next he is throwing him off into the reactor for being a mean to him.

So when you say sympathetic if you mean we are meant to feel bad for him getting replaced. Then yeah sure.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
  16. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    We love this special. It's a lot of fun and has some SW lore between the humor and silliness.

Simply put, I liked that we saw Rey start training someone, particularly Finn and Chewie actually getting to go back to Kashyyyk (which was needed). It was like a silly fun but meaningful epilogue.

17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I enjoyed it. I liked that Rey got called out for not being a good friend to Finn and for hurting his feelings. And I liked that it pointed out the importance of relationships over “by the book” training.

And it had some good funny moments.

Parts I could have lived without:

Rey calling Kylo “Ben.”

Emotional Poe in the holiday sweater.

Luke constantly drinking milk.

Overall nice special though. As far as influencing my thinking, the Rey/Finn scenes felt...validating.

18. alwayslurking

alwayslurking Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 21, 2019
    Random thought: I realize that this is just a silly lego special, but one thing I hope LF doesn't do is make the Jedi texts into a deus ex machina. Oh look, I figured out to heal things thank to these old books. Oh yay, now I figured out how to time travel thanks to these books. I don't want the Jedi texts to become a license to introduce all kinds of super powers out of the blue and with minimal explanation.

19. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    i love
    Love the milk drinking joke

20. Awushi Awere

Awushi Awere Jedi Knight star 2

May 11, 2020
    Influence on my view on the ST? Almost nothing. But: I had fun, I finally saw the golden lightsaber in action plus now I can better imagine how Rey teaches Finn a bit after TROS.

darthfettus2015 likes this.
  21. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    No not really. It was funny though

22. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    I did watch only about half of the holiday special so far. Will probably watch the other half at some other point. I've got sort of mixed feelings about it.

It's light, it's fun, and it doesn't seem to take itself too seriously. It's Star Wars that isn't afraid to poke fun and laugh at itself. The last of which makes it a sort of weird show for me to watch and leaves me with kind of a weird lingering feeling that is a bit hard for me to articulate. I'd probably find it hilarious and great fun if produced by someone else like Robot Chicken (Robot Chicken Star Wars content often makes me feel like I'm going to die laughing at it) but the fact that it was produced by Disney just made it feel sort of strange.

It's very meta like the ST itself is. Star Wars commenting on Star Wars again. Star Wars being oddly self-aware of itself. Star Wars trying to make itself the punch line to its own joke. It's a concept that at least for me works better in a children's special than three major saga blockbuster movies, so I guess that's a plus, but I can't say I'm a fan of the meta style. Even in the light children's special. Meta just isn't really my style especially in Star Wars, I suppose. Of course, that is my personal perception, and I am sure it is great fun for others.

I also wasn't a fan of the sheer amount of rehashing moments from earlier Star Wars films and inserting Rey awkwardly into them. I would just rather Star Wars move forward with its new characters from the ST (Rey, Finn, Poe, Rose, etc.) and have these characters go on new adventures (perhaps even together--le gasp) instead of focus so much on being a highlight reel trying to capitalize on my past positive memories and feelings about previous Star Wars films. Give me new positive memories and feelings instead of just trying to tug at my heartstrings with a series of, "Remember when..." moments. Because if I want to remember when I can watch the OT and the PT on the exact same streaming site of Disney Plus. What I wanted was a new story with new characters going on new adventures. It's Star Wars that is too rooted in nostalgia and remember when moments to move in a new, exciting direction with the ST characters, which I thought was a problem with the ST, and this special just sort of reinforced that opinion for me.

At the same time that it is oddly rooted in nostalgia, the ST and the holiday special both seem to share this strange need to deconstruct past Star Wars film and sort of make a mockery of them. Deconstruction and mockery like that can land well in a Robot Chicken video, but to me is weird to watch in something produced by Disney for the official Star Wars brand. It's like watching someone scrawl all over their walls with Crayola markers. You wonder why they are ruining their own property and maybe chuckle awkwardly at the insanity of it all. But deep down you feel sort of sick inside and guilty for even laughing at all. So, I guess I relearned that I don't like watching Star Wars deconstruct or mock itself whether in the ST or the holiday special.

I felt Rey also came across as very much like a fan inserted into the OT and PT moments, which made it seem like Rey was indeed just used as a vehicle for the fan experiences and emotions, reacting like a fan inserted into the Star Wars universe would. Experiencing the Star Wars universe more as a fan than a character. This was a criticism I remember being leveled against the ST, and it sort of shows itself to have merit in the holiday special where Rey is given these sort of gushy lines that made me cringe listening to them.

So, I'd say that the holiday special reinforced a lot of my major issues with the ST: how meta it is; how it is too attached to nostalgia at the expense of new characters and adventures; how it paradoxically also too much of a deconstruction and mockery of what came before it; how Rey is too often treated like a fan dumped into the Star Wars universe than an actual character within that universe. Basically, a list of things that break the fourth wall for me as an audience member.

However, there are positives to it. As I said, the part I did watch was light, fun, and didn't take itself too seriously. I also liked some of the moments that were shown between Rey, Finn, Poe, and Rose. Those moments were the best moments to me. I wish the holiday special had focused more on those moments with the new characters instead of the weird time travel concept as an excuse to have us relive the saga highlight reel. So, on the positive side of the ledger, the holiday special showed that I'd be interested in more new stories and adventures about these ST characters if Disney ever wants to really commit to producing those.

In a nutshell, the holiday special mainly reinforced my main issues with the ST and why I found the ST flawed in its core conception and approach to telling Star Wars stories.

Bottom line: I really wanted to like the holiday special. I went into it wanting something light and fun, and I sort of got that. But in a way that left a weird taste in my mouth, and that weird taste was oddly reminiscent of the ST and underscored many of my problems with the ST.

Am I overthinking a simple children's holiday special?

You bet, but that's what I do. Overthink things. It's in my nature.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    alwayslurking and mtt02263 like this.
  23. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I can't say it changed the way I look at at the ST at all, but I did enjoy it. It was silly and fun and cute, and I really liked seeing more of the ST characters, and that we got a hint of what might happen post-TROS. I now want a canon animated show about Rey training Finn.

Shadao and devilinthedetails like this.
  24. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    @TCF-1138 I do agree that a canon animated show about Rey training Finn would be cool. Really anything that focuses on the new ST characters doing new things (ideally together) would probably work well for me.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    TCF-1138 likes this.
  25. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Thats kinda what the ST is in a nutshell.