main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Did the rise of VHS lead Lucas to want to make the Special Editions?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by darklordoftech, Dec 17, 2022.

1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Was he worried that now that people could pause the movies, they would notice things like Greedo not shooting and flaws in the special effects?

Tosche_Station likes this.
  2. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    That could be, but I think it was more the success of the films in general. George procured the finances, time, and technology to have the Special Editions made. Even if home video barely existed, he probably still would've made the Special Editions. They did premiere in a theater before coming to VHS and Laserdisc.

Guidman likes this.
  3. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    [​IMG]
    In 1994, I went to a benefit showing of the OT at Union County Arts Center in Rahway, NJ. It was a total blast. They had a big crowd, and showed the movies, the trailers, an old March of Dimes Walkathon PSA with Mark Hamill, and even the old General Cinemas "Feature Presentation" bumper. It was, reportedly, the last public showing of the original OT, and it's success was one of the reasons that Lucas decided there was still an audience for theater showings of the OT. (Remember, this was back when "Star Wars" fandom was at a low ebb, with no new material coming out.) So, he decided to go ahead with re-doing the movies according to what he had wanted to do, and brought them back.
    And the rest is history...

AndyLGR, Tosche_Station and Sarge like this.
  4. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    No, I'd say it was the progress made in digital FX that made him realise he could improve a few things, but then he got carried away.

5. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Correct. Lucas has long felt dissatisfied with how ANH came out, effects wise. The strides made with T2, "The Abyss", "Jurassic Park" and "Forrest Gump" gave him the desire to go back and make the changes.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2022
  6. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I think it was a few reasons, they were in the process of beginning to work on the prequels and the new digital effects could be used to 'improve' those things he thought needing improving. Plus the fact they were back in the cinemas and back on home video was perfect promo for the upcoming prequels because SW was in the wilderness then.

7. Wookie Cookie

Wookie Cookie Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 16, 2022
    I believe it is because technology has advanced and he wanted to do stuff.

I personally think it is better if Greedo doesn't shoot at all. Certain special effects were pretty bad though. Like Obiwan's dying lightsaber versus Darth Vader. Honestly, the whole choreography in that scene is pretty terrible.

8. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    There was a quote from Lucas talking about how SW would never be released on home video, because he didn't want people going through the film slowly looking for mistakes. I wish I could find it.

9. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    I know for sure there is a quote where he said the VHS tapes of the original cuts weren't exist forever.

"Even the 35 million tapes of Star Wars out there won't last more than 30 or 40 years. A hundred years from now, the only version of the movie that anyone will remember will be the DVD version [of the Special Edition], and you'll be able to project it on a 20-foot-by-40-foot screen with perfect quality. I think it's the director's prerogative, not the studio's, to go back and reinvent a movie."

George Lucas in 1997

10. RogueDianoga

RogueDianoga Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 11, 2022
    No, I think it was more just tech progress and also wanting to do some trial runs on new tech to see if prequels, as he envisioned, might be possible yet.

11. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    It had nothing to do with VHS. It was because in the early 90s, 20th Century Fox wanted to do a theatrical re-release in celebration of the 20th anniversary. And when they went to Lucas with that idea (and because the movies required a restoration job to be put into theaters again), he took advantage of that opportunity to not only restore the picture but fix and add things that he wanted ever since he made the movies.

RogueDianoga likes this.
  12. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    That quote just makes me want to transfer my Avenger VHS boxset to DVD, bonus features and all.

Darth Dnej likes this.