main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian Did the show just end? (Narrator: It didn't.)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Dec 18, 2020.

?

Is the show over?

1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    10.3%
  2. No

78 vote(s)
    89.7%
  1. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    Exactly w/o Din and Grogu there'll be a different dynamic. Honestly, I'd have preferred Grogu w/anyone but Luke because we know how that turns out. I was hoping he'd go the Mando route to be honest. It'll be interesting though....Boba and Fennec on Tatooine? That's still going to be cool.

Jaxxon- likes this.
  2. EntechednReformatted

EntechednReformatted Jedi Master star 2

Oct 17, 2009
    I'm surprised The Mandalorian went in the direction it did, but I'm not displeased. Din's character needs some work, and hopefully season 3 will cover that.

Here's what troubles me. We've had two complete seasons of this show, and I still don't know the answer to a very fundamental question: What does Din want out of life?

Characters in a franchise like SW need to want something. It informs their decisions and defines their challenges. Luke wanted to follow in his father's footsteps. Han wanted money. Leia wanted to save the galaxy. Finn wanted to be free of the First Order. Rey wanted to find her family and place in the galaxy. Anakin wanted to hang on to what he saw as his. Kylo wanted to be worthy of the legend of Darth Vader. Maybe they want the wrong thing and need to realize that.

But what does Din want?

We know he's protective of Grogu, likely because he recognized that he was a foundling, and the bond grew. But what do we know about him before that? What drives him? Did he want to be the greatest, most notorious bounty hunter in the galaxy? Honestly I don't know if he really even liked bounty hunting, or if he just fell into it because he had the skillset and needed money. Most of the series so far has been him doing what people told him he should. Don't take off your helmet. Take that kid to a Jedi. Go to this planet. Find this person. Take off your helmet if you want to. Go to this other planet. Congrats, you can lay claim to the throne of Mandalore. Not even a little interested. Huh. It seems the only thing that gets him a little fired up is a threat to the kid.

What I need in season 3 is to finally find out what it is that really drives this character. His quest with Grogu showed him first that his professional ethics as a bounty hunter were of secondary importance, and then later showed him the same was true of the code of his religious cult. But thinking on it, I'm not seeing how much farther the creators could take that without it just being more of the same. Hopefully the end of this quest will give the series the chance to finally show what makes this guy tick. A big part of me thinks this would have been a stronger series if they had firmly established some major ambition in Din first, and then let Grogu throw a monkey wrench into that.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
    Darkslayer and Sarge like this.
  3. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Well Dins whole motivation was the child. he didn't really have much to him before the child came along. he was just a bounty hunter

Zoe Con likes this.
  4. SevPrince

SevPrince Jedi Master star 3

Nov 4, 2016
    Yes for all intents and purpose. Show was about Grogu and Mando's relationship and bond. I'm sorry but Baby Yoda WAS the show. The show as we know it and fall in love with it is over. However they continue it is whatever to me. This was such disappointing finale.

5. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    Yeah, I feel I'm back at square one with this show. Definitely interested in the spinoffs and such but I'd be totally ok if this was the series finale for The Mandalorian itself.

6. EntechednReformatted

EntechednReformatted Jedi Master star 2

Oct 17, 2009
    Agreed, and I think it was the foundational misstep of the narrative. I don't dislike the show. I was entertained. But when it comes to SW, I'm extremely story focused, and this show could have been more. I want to root for this character, but root for him to do or get ... what?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
  7. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Actually, we have no idea whatsoever how Grogu being with Luke turns out, because this is still 20-25 years prior to things going south again.

It certainly is a bold choice to remove Grogu from the show, as he was very much essential for its success. At this point it is kind of unclear where things go though. Does the show move into a different direction, will Grogu return eventually, or might he even be back as soon as next season?
    Wouldn't be the first time that a show teased a character as being gone, only to make it about bringing him back again.

8. ThisIsTheWay

ThisIsTheWay Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 24, 2019
    Maybe that was the point?

Mando thought the creed & bounty hunting thing were truly important to him until the kid threw a wrench in it. Now that the kid is gone, perhaps S3 will be about Mando figuring out what he truly wants. Maybe that’s the next step in his story before reuniting with Grogu again(which I think he will).

9. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
  10. Fjall

Fjall Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2014
    season 3 is coming late 2022.

11. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Nah i think both coming out weeks of each other. we know season 3 is fimling now. 2022 is when season 4 is coming.

12. Maythe14thBeWithYou

May 26, 2014
    I stand corrected, thank you. Yea, it'll be interesting to see what's next. For instance next season is it all about Mandalore, Bo-Katan, etc. Perhaps seeing Sabine or what?

Yea, he probably lived a pretty vacuous life where the creed was the most important thing. It seems he never met another Mandalorian so he had a limited view of them to his clan. Now he's seen there's more to life and what caring for someone means. So next season who knows. It sure as heck seems he could care less to rule Mandalore and have that headache.

13. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I think we definitely have the answer now and it’s no

cerealbox, Ricardo Funes and RetropME like this.
  14. Maythe14thBeWithYou

May 26, 2014
    I just watched a video on YouTube, I think the channel was Extremely Awesome, and it said The Book of Boba Fett would be a mini 4 episode series followed by the third season premiering around next Christmas.

15. Teo9969

Teo9969 Jedi Padawan

Nov 27, 2020
    If they do this right, I think this is actually a good play as long as they manage to keep Boba Fett around throughout The Mandalorian. Realistically it gives you an opportunity to keep costs down by not having to pay everyone involved with an established show, you get to provide the backstory and character development of Boba Fett (+ Fennec Shand) in a way that does not distract from Din's story, but is very quickly consumed (4 episodes) by anyone who wants to know more about him. You also get to set up some other elements that are clearly going to lead into an "Avenger's team-up" at some point.

Maythe14thBeWithYou likes this.
  16. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    You might be justified in feeling that way if you somehow knew the future, and could accurately predict that Grogu won’t come back to the Mandalorian.

Which is highly unlikely...

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
  17. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Confirmed NO, on GMA Favreau said they are working on pre-prodution but it will happen after The Book of Boba Fett.

18. darth_of_denmark

darth_of_denmark Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 10, 2005
    [​IMG]
    Nah, not over :)

MrDarth0, DarthFixxxer and cerealbox like this.
  19. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Yoda: “Begun the spin-offs have...”

MrDarth0 and Maythe14thBeWithYou like this.
  20. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    It's as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror that Mandalorian was over and were suddenly silenced

RetropME likes this.
  21. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    To be fair I would replace Disney with Kennedy. :p

22. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    When he was trying to get Bo-Katan to take the darksaber, this was before Luke showed up and took Grogu. So at that point, his only concern was the child. I wonder if now that Grogu has gone, maybe Din's interest in leading Mandalore will change. Protecting Grogu was his sole motivation, so who knows where his intentions or interests lie at this point.

23. darth_of_denmark

Mar 10, 2005
    I did not make it, and I am fine with Kennedy. I think she messed up with the Sequels (but she was not the only one messing up). And I understand that she is ofc. involved with Mandalorian and the other Lucas Film projects now.
    In fact I have been battling idiots on the internet for a while now because they refuse to acknowledge when KK is involved with really good stuff simply because they decided to hate on her forever and ignore her proven track record.

RetropME likes this.
  24. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Sexy unresolved tensions time with Bo KaTan, are next up on the Mandalorian’s agenda.

Now since the underage Grogu is gone, it’s time to spice things up and get more...adult up in there.

darth_of_denmark likes this.
  25. darth_of_denmark

Mar 10, 2005
    I been thinking about Bo and Din's "issue"... I know how they can resolve it. In the most soapy cheesy way :) Bo will conquer Din's heart :D

EDIT: Whoops! mixed up the names :D