main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Did Tyrannus himself know that his Master was the Chancellor?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Strilo , Jun 20, 2018.

1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    So Dooku, who was an intelligent Jedi Master, would just join Darth Sidious without knowing who he was and just trusting him based on that alone? You're really devaluing him as a character. He's not like Nute Gunray who joined out of fear and greed. Even Maul knew who Palpatine was.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  2. Christus Regnet

Christus Regnet Jedi Master star 3

Mar 10, 2016
    When we see Sidious with his cloak on, we can only see the lower half of his face. This is not the case for Dooku, who actually lives in the fictional universe, and has met with his master...and seen his entire face.

If Dooku doesn't know Sidious' secret identity, he must find it curious that his master is identical in every way to the supreme chancellor.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  3. Defensor

Defensor Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 23, 2015
    It is evident that Dooku was in on the whole plan.

I don't think it far-fetched that Dooku could be granted a nice package upon brokering peace. He thought he would be apprehended, and then his capture would be used by the Republic as leverage to make the Separatists surrender. Punishing Dooku could alienate the Separatist systems.

There is historical precedent for treating the enemy leaders nicely, it was fairly common until the modern age. For example, Napoleon got a pretty nice island for exile the first time he was defeated. He came back, overthrew the government installed by the British, waged war again, and they still sent him to a nice island to live out the rest of his days in peace, just farther away.

Jedi Knight Fett and Iron_lord like this.
  4. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Yes, but Napoleon was exiled from his homeland. My impression is that Dooku expected to regain a prominent position in the Republic/Empire. Given the central role the vilification of separatists played in Palpatine's maintenance of his rule, I find it hard to believe Dooku would ever fit into that scheme. And of course it's not necessary that he would have, given Palpatine's penchant for making false promises. But I'd think Dooku would be smart enough to realize the implausibility.

5. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    =D==D==D= Beat me to it!

YES it does!!

So does this:

In fact the reason Padmè knows Dooku is fishy is because according to AOTC novel her intelligence caught him in one of his "dealings" and she tells him as much in the following deleted scene:

THIS CONFIRMS IT:

But the way is set up in the movie ..its easy to see why the Jedi remain clueless and accept the Clone Army despite the murky circumstances that got them said Army. I believe it also makes clear that Dooku more than likely was the one to kill Sifo-dyas, and I never understood why some fans get hung up over this; some people can't do subtlety I suppose.
    Its one of the reasons I LOVE AOTC and fact that TCW ruined this aspect, makes wish for a reboot of the show like ..yesterday.

@Christus Regnet Your GIF-[face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]-Thanks I needed that.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  6. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Actually, what she's referring to in the deleted scene is what Obi-Wan discovered on Geonosis and stated in his report (the same message she retransmitted to Coruscant and is played in Palpatine's office).

7. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    With Palpatine backing him, it wouldn't take much to sway enough people to believe that he was a victim in this as well. His greed and arrogance was why Dooku believed in Palpatine's plan.

8. Lady_Skywalker87

Aug 4, 2008
    True @Alexrd, but Padmè knows the truth before hand and part of reason she went to Coruscant in the first place ..but of the diplomat that she is she wants to make formal investigation; hence her claim ..

"I think Count Dooku is behind it'

and her insistence later,
    "...I need answers, I want to know who's trying to kill me."
    The novel made this clear I thought.

All her attempts are shot down until the night attack.

By the that Kenobi delivers the information its too late as everyone is being played masterfully by Sidious.

My take on things anyway.

9. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I just didn't imagine Dooku would order a clone army and wait ten years for it to be ready, and in the meantime work to orchestrate a whole war behind the scenes with Sidious without knowing the truth of what's really going on. Generally from what we've learned in the GFFA, Sith apprentices are pretty aware of what is going on with their masters-partners almost, at least in terms of these plots and schemes. Plus if there were instances of knowledge that Sidious had that only the Chancellor could've known over that decade, it would make sense Dooku could've put it together. That's a long time to be so deceptively involved with one person to not know who they truly are, and what their true plan is.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  10. Christus Regnet

Mar 10, 2016
    A big plotline during the Clone wars era is how the Jedi's sense in the force is clouded. They are operating half blind because of some kind of dark veil placed over them.

Jedi don't rely on their eyes to see, or calculating logic to understand, but their connection to the force, and the only way for the Jedi to understand what is truly taking place is to go into the dark side for answers, which they will not do.

Dooku has no such cloud affecting his awareness. He can see clearly. So even if he never saw his master face to face(which he did), he would still be able to see the truth.

11. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I kind of did too. Then I was thinking about it and began to wonder...

12. Christus Regnet

Mar 10, 2016
    @Jedi Knight Fett
    You are the most gracious, comment-liker I have ever met on a forum...in the history of forums. Thank you!

13. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Wouldn’t be the first time someone has said that. :p

14. ThisIsMe1138

ThisIsMe1138 Chosen One star 6

Jun 26, 2018
    Do you like everything? :p;)

15. Captaincrunch1967

Captaincrunch1967 Jedi Youngling

Dec 11, 2017
    I'm assuming that Palpatine took off his robe when he invited Dooku over to his house to sit by the pool and plan out the end of the Republic.

Lady_Skywalker87 likes this.
  16. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    That sounds a lot more dirty then it is. :p

I like a lot of things.

17. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    I wonder if they also took their shoes off and let their toes dangle in the water.

Strilo and Lady_Skywalker87 like this.
  18. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    That's correct. Curiously, some deleted scenes of AOTC refer that Yoda did 'probe' the dark side:

The concept was eventually dropped.

19. Lady_Skywalker87

Aug 4, 2008
    [face_laugh]=D= Crack Fic GOLD guys! Thank you for the laugh!

After some of the replies here...do you stick to that thought Strilo?

christophero30 likes this.
  20. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I haven't seen anything in this thread that convinces me for sure that Dooku knew for sure that Sidious WAS Palpatine. I see lots of stuff that says he knew Sidious controlled Palpatine... unless I am missing something.

21. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The ROTS novelisation's probably the best example - with their conversation immediately before the battle, and some of the extra lines in the Dooku fight:

"Just because there are two of you, do not presume you have the advantage."
    "Oh, we know," Skywalker said "Because there are two of you."
    Dooku barely managed to restrain a jolt of surprise.
    "Or maybe I should say, were two of you," the young Jedi went on. "We're on to your partner Sidious; we tracked him all over the galaxy. He's probably in Jedi custody right now."
    "Is he?" Dooku relaxed. He was terribly, terribly tempted to wink at Palpatine, but of course that would never do.

22. Christus Regnet

Mar 10, 2016
    List of the easiest facts:

-Dooku meets with Sidious face to face in Episode 2
    -Dooku meets with Sidious face to face in The Clone Wars
    -Dooku speaks with Sidious face to face in the episode 3 novelization, before the duel with Anikan and Obi Wan. Sidious is in his Palpatine disquise. They speak about Evil stuff up until the two Jedi arrive.
    -George Lucas said so

So, in summary, Lucas created the characters, wrote these stories, and personally edited the novelization, page by page, and he is the true authority on this question.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    Iron_lord likes this.
  23. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Actually the clue was in the Dooku chapter that I mentioned. You might want to quote that one.

24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I did mention
    referring to Sidious's and Dooku's conversation.

However, for those who haven't read it already:

"Tyranus? Are you well?"
    "Am I . . ." Dooku realized that his eyes had misted. "Yes, my Master. I am beyond well. Today, the climax - the grand finale - the culmination of all your decades of work ... I find myself somewhat overcome."
    "Compose yourself, Tyranus. Kenobi and Skywalker are nearly at the door. Play your part, my apprentice, and the galaxy is ours."
    Dooku straightened and for the first time looked his Master in the eyes.
    Darth Sidious, Dark Lord of the Sith, sat in the General's Chair, shackled to it at the wrist and ankle.
    Dooku bowed to him. "Thank you, Chancellor."
    Palpatine of Naboo, Supreme Chancellor of the Republic, replied, "Withdraw. They are here."

25. Lady_Skywalker87

Aug 4, 2008
    Your answer has been quite enlightening..thank you for your honesty.:)

That line has always been so unlike Dukoo to me..but then again he did spend AOTC movie and Novel basically trolling everyone on the opposing side that he spoke to, so strangely it works.

Iron_lord likes this.