main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Did Vader/Anakin actually deserve forgiveness?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Rivenblade, Dec 15, 2020.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    That fits with most later Legends and Newcanon work - with Vader's obedience being not a matter of rank, but of Palpatine's instructions - when on the Death Star (and only on the Death Star) do what Tarkin says, to keep things running smoothly.

Earlier material, however, did paint ANH-era Vader as Tarkin's henchman, rather than the Emperor's - even after ROTJ came out. It wasn't till quite late, that the situation on the Death Star was painted as "Vader and Tarkin are equals, but Vader, for diplomatic reasons, obeys Tarkin".

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Most casual fans don't read the EU. I certainly don't.

3. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I always assumed Tarkin ran things/had justistiction on the Death Star, which is where most of ANH takes place for Vader. He does seem to respect Tarkin.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
  4. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Whose forgiveness did Anakin need?

Luke, Leia, Obi-Wan and Yoda and that's what is important, whether your average audience member forgives him is irrelevant to the story.

5. darthvader88

darthvader88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 2005
    I am not aure Leia has forgiven hi., or ever will

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

6. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    It's never shown on-screen, though it might be inferred from the way she behaves towards Kylo/Ben in the ST. In the old EU, it took years before she even acknowledged that, maybe, there was more to Vader than she suspected. See the novel Tatooine Ghost for a very good story on how she slowly is able to look at the situation differently.

7. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    As far as Alderaan goes, I'm perfectly fine with assigning significant moral culpability to Vader for it. Tarkin deserves moral responsibility for it as well, of course, but there is more than enough blame to be shared between them and other Imperials.

Vader's objection to the Death Star isn't that it'll blow up worlds, killing innocent people in the process. It isn't that it's a weapon of mass destruction on an almost unfathomable scale meant to enforce a reign of terror over the galaxy. His only disagreement with it is that the Force is a stronger weapon. The Death Star isn't wrong because it would kill millions or even billions of innocent children. That's absolutely okay--just another day at the Imperial office for Vader--but it is only important that Vader emphasize that he wields the greatest weapon of all, the Force. he wants to prevent the other Imperial officers from getting too big-headed basically. That is the point of all his cutting comments to Tarkin and the other Imperial officers. He's just trying to put them all in their place, which he obviously sees as beneath him in the only power that truly matters (the Force). Everything else is insignificant compared to the Force. Even the Death Star that will blow up millions or billions of children.

He also holds Leia back when Alderaan is blown up and doesn't desert after, which he'd have done if it actually gave him any qualm. We see in Claudia Gray's Lost Stars, for example, how the destruction of Alderaan is a catalyst for other Imperials to question the Empire's methods and desert the Imperial armed forces. Vader continuing to serve the Empire in a high capacity is his moral seal of approval to the destruction of Alderaan. To the deaths of millions and possibly even billions of innocent children.

As far as Leia's forgiveness goes, I got the impression from Claudia Gray's Bloodline book that she hadn't forgiven Vader and I kind of like that. Vader really hadn't earned her forgiveness in the way he had Luke's, and she would've had Bail Organa to be her father. It's very hard to forgive your father for holding you back while your entire planet, including the adoptive family that raised you from the time you were a baby, is blown up. It's certainly not something Vader is automatically owed by her or any sort of moral failing if she doesn't forgive him for it. So I've increasingly come to prefer a Leia that doesn't forgive Vader while still respecting Luke's right to forgive Vader on a personal level. It can show how complicated forgiveness is and how moral people within the same family can reach different conclusions about it and neither can be in the "wrong."

A big yes to the part I bolded. I think Anakin's downfall in the PT is a sort of cautionary tale about unhealthy, selfish types of attachment that produce all these dark emotions--fear, anger, and hate--that ultimately result in more death and suffering. Even Anakin's obsession with saving Padme from dying while relatable to the audience is ultimately a selfish one rooted in his own fears and desires rather than Padme's. Padme in the PT is never afraid of dying. In TPM, she is unflinching when she tells Palpatine that her fate will be the same as her people's when he warns that the Trade Federation will kill her if she returns to the Naboo, and in AOTC, before she and Anakin are taken into the execution arena, she tells Anakin that she is not afraid and just wants him to know before they die that she loves him. Then in ROTS, when he shares his vision of her dying in childbirth, her concern is for her baby, not herself. So Anakin's desire to save Padme from death is really all about his own fears and desires, not about her welfare. In that way, it is unhealthy and selfish.

That is different from the self-sacrificing attachment or love that he ultimately ends up showing for Luke at the end of ROTJ when he is willing to die for Luke. He is saved both by his son's self-sacrificing love for him and by his own self-sacrificing love for his son.

So, to me, the PT is about the dangers of unhealthy types of attachment driven by possessiveness and fear that leads to tragedy and the OT is about self-sacrificing love that leads to redemption.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
  8. Rivenblade

Rivenblade Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 21, 2020
    I needed this this morning. Thank you.

devilinthedetails likes this.
  9. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    It isn't important for the audience to forgive Anakin, it's important for Luke, Leia, Obi-Wan and Yoda to forgive him. If they can forgive him after all he's done, who are the audience to disagree?

darthfettus2015 and Shadao like this.
  10. mtt02263

mtt02263 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 29, 2020
    I think one thing to keep in mind is that in Star Wars, regular Dark Side use is addictive and influences your actions to a great degree, so it isn't the same as a character in our world committing the same acts, it is essentially a fairy tale after all. I don't think Anakin is forgiven by anyone really, Luke simply believes that there is good again, allows him to break free of Palpatine's hold and save his son. Anakin is redeemed from his dark journey, but had he lived he would have been either executed or imprisoned for an eternity, death was really his way of paying for everything he did.

Shadao, Lobot's Wig and CampOfSorgan like this.
  11. Lobot's Wig

Lobot's Wig Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 13, 2020
    I agree. It is the perfect ending really. There isn't really a forgiveness shown, but there is a mutual acknowledgment before Vader pays the ultimate penalty. He is free from the dark side, but not free from his part in it. He is resigned to the 'justice' that is then served to him, his death. That he is then shown as restored to his former nature in the light side of the Force is just a wonderful conclusion.

Shadao likes this.
  12. CampOfSorgan

CampOfSorgan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2020
    In the EU novel The Truce at Bakura, there's a great moment where Anakin's force ghost appears to Leia and asks for forgiveness. She doesn't grant it and is understandably hostile to him.

Anakin even ridiculously warns her not to give into her anger. Coming from him, even as a force ghost, I found that particularly rich.

Darth Chuck Norris likes this.
  13. Billy Budd

Billy Budd Jedi Padawan

Jan 5, 2021
    If you look at forgiveness in the Christian sense, the offender's actions are not what matters. What matters is what's in the person's heart. Some actions are simply unforgivable from a 'squaring the ledger' standpoint, but everyone is forgivable in the eyes of God. Maybe the Force is the same?

14. Merrin

Merrin Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 12, 2019
    If we see the Jedi as truly good then the possibility of forgiveness and redemption should always remain.

15. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    This life, not the afterlife (that's out of anyone's control). The actual quote:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  16. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    I literally said, "FORGIVING PEOPLE IN THE AFTERLIFE" so it's not like I wildly misquoted anyone. Plus the original question, "Did Vader/Anakin actually deserve forgiveness?" doesn't specify life or the afterlife. It sounds like you're trying to correct me, yet you're just repeating what I said back to me so I'm very confused.

17. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    Could he have not warned her to not give in to her anger because he learned his lesson and didn't want to see her go down that path?

I've made mistakes and many times have turned around and begged my daughter to not make the same ones.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  18. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I'm saying that forgiveness is given in life from the living, not in the afterlife which is out of anyone's hands. And as an addendum I posted the actual quote for those that would like to read it.

19. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    Says who?

20. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    The movies and the audience that the movies are for.

21. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    When did any of the movies state this? You're talking about concepts that are beyond our understanding like they're something from a math textbook. How can you speak about these things with certitude?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
  22. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Concepts beyond our understanding?! These concepts are pretty simple and clear. It's the characters that are alive that get to show forgiveness. It's the audience that is alive that is receiving that message. The message of being selfless, compassionate and show forgiveness. That message is for the living, when they are alive.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    Darth Chuck Norris likes this.
  23. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Because from Leia's perspective, Anakin learns his lesson too little too late. He stood right there and watched Tarkin blow up her homeworld. He stood right there and oversaw the torture of herself and her friends and family. He helped the Emperor orchestrate the death of the Republic, the destruction of the Jedi, and the rise of the Empire. He caused untold suffering to billions and billions and he has the gall to tell her not to make the same mistake?

Yeah, because Leia is absolutely going to do all that if she 'gives in to her anger'.

Look, we've all made mistakes. We all want to warn our loved ones to not go down the same road we went through. However there's mistakes and there's... wow, yeah, everything Vader did.

24. darthvader88

darthvader88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 2005
    Just becsuse Luke has forgiven him does not mean everyone else should

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

25. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No, everyone else should hold a grudge. That's exactly the lesson Lucas wanted to convey with Star Wars.

/s

wobbits, Qui-Riv-Brid and Sarge like this.