main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Toronto Did You Know That It's Illegal To Drag A Dead Horse Down Younge Street On A Sunday???

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Boba_Fett_2001 , Apr 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    That's what it says right here

2. JediJeff13

JediJeff13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Ahhh crap. And I read here hoping for a killer punch line.

Real life just ain't that funny sometimes.

3. THEREALSHMII

THEREALSHMII Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    Actually, we a thread dedicated to odd laws about a year ago and this one came up.

Ya gotta wonder who draged the dead horse down Yonge Street in the first place to get this law created.

4. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    A politician?

Oh no, wait, thats beating a dead horse...

5. TheGrandePoobah

TheGrandePoobah Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    Well, with Mel around you can never be sure what he'll get up to next.

6. The_Last_Warrior

The_Last_Warrior Jedi Youngling star 2

May 6, 2002

Actually, I'm sad to say I already knew that. :(

The purpose behind that law was that every other day of the week it was ok to remove your dead animals, but because Sunday was God's day, and because most were dressed in their best on Sundays' for church, it would be "courtesy" not to drag the dead animal, saving others from the stench and any pieces/blood that might land on their clothing.

That's what you get for being a history major....

Actually, there's tonnes of them;
    Toronto:

1)If you arrive at ANY hotel in Toronto, even today, in a horse drawn carriage, the hotel MUST house and feed your animals. (LOL, I've always wanted to go to the Four Seasons in Yorkville doing that one. ;) )

2)If the tenants of a LandLord grow any food, the Landlord is entitled to no more than one courtesy meal.

3)The Queen of Great Britain is allowed to request housing from any citizen in Toronto, but NOT in York region, that person must vacate their place, punishable by death under treason.

But Canada's not the only place. There's a town in Venezuela, called Nahino. When two people get married and embark on their honeymoon, the mother of the woman must be in the room to watch the "consumation" of the relationship.

Kind of a mood killer, huh? "Mom, get outta here!"

:eek:

7. THEREALSHMII

THEREALSHMII Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    There in the room? Ewww..that's too much information. Blah!

8. TheGrandePoobah

TheGrandePoobah Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    Jake, the hotel one you mention is one of quite a number of so-called dumb laws that I'd really like to either test or break.

Like in Ottawa, it's illegal to eat ice cream on bank street on a Sunday. Been wanting to break that one for a while now.

9. JediJeff13

JediJeff13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Okay.....I gots a question: Didn't you guys kick the Queen out over a century ago? You wacky Canadians still coddle to the old broad. :)

10. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    If you arrive at ANY hotel in Toronto, even today, in a horse drawn carriage, the hotel MUST house and feed your animals.
    Did they have to do this for free or could they charge an extra fee?

The reason why I ask is what the law, in spirit, says is that the hotel must provide care for your transportation to the hotel. Extend that into modern times and it means they must provide "housing" for your car.

As that law still exists, I wonder if you can use it to get free parking at a hotel? Are hotels that charge for parking breaking the law?

11. The_Last_Warrior

The_Last_Warrior Jedi Youngling star 2

May 6, 2002

Those are good questions, Woofer, to which I have no answers to offer.

I'm guessing that 'back in the day', "housing" the "transportation" meant that they had to have adequate facilities for feeding and caring for the animals, otherwise they couldn't have received a hotel license. I wonder if they charged a fee, or if it was a latter day mini bar....

12. Cow_Girl

Cow_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 15, 2001
    )If you arrive at ANY hotel in Toronto, even today, in a horse drawn carriage, the hotel MUST house and feed your animals. (LOL, I've always wanted to go to the Four Seasons in Yorkville doing that one. )

LOL!I wish I had know that rule earlier! I so would have tried that out...

She gets a flake of hay and sweet feed in the morning, Bran mash and her vitamins at night...

Too bad it seems to only apply to Horses that can actually pull carriges ;)

13. Jarsis_Stolle

Jarsis_Stolle Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 15, 2003
    Hi from the Perth Chapter!

I was at the dumb laws site not so long ago to read one about australia and something similar to the housing and feeding horses.

And not having hay in the back of the carriage or something was illegal. In context of when the days that australia had horse drawn carriages etc.

Its a giggle reading them.

Jace

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.