main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Did you Know... Tibits about your fic!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by KrystalBlaze, Dec 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KrystalBlaze

KrystalBlaze Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    I was pondering the other day about the drafts a story goes through. Personally, I don't usually go through structured "drafts." I go through deleted sentence after deleted sentence. There are some, though, that I have taken time to draft and then scrap. There are ideas that were put on Word and then erased.

So I'm wondering...

What have you scraped that you think those who read your story want to know?

This is a thread for the interesting ideas you had before you posted your fic, and in general things you think others may want to know.

I'll start...

Did you know...

The original title of Breathe was Epiphany because of this verse of the Staind song by the same name:

Cause I can't take anymore
    Of this, I want to come apart,
    or dig myself a little hole inside
    your precious heart

2. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Did you want to know about interesting ideas in the fics or ideas so bad that they had to be buried so they would never see the light of day?

3. djcati

djcati Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2004
    Harder to Breathe originally had a different ending. and it sucked SO BADLY. o_o!

Celebrations originally was supposed to be from an OC's PoV, and I wrote it as a challenge to myself, but then it turned into K/J. . .

As for The Right Idea, there are a fair few scraps of info on my OCs (<3 the Dozen) that may work into the fic at some point. And there was a post that was originally from Kyp's PoV, but worked much better as Jaina's PoV (but also meant that there was a lack of decent Kyp-ness for a while).

And there was supposed to be a lot more info about Alli before now. . .

andthenextpostisbeingwritteniswear

4. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Let's see. Bennie was going to end with Qui-Gon walking away and letting Obi-Wan sit there alone, crying - but I just couldn't see Qui doing that so I changed it.

In Betrayal Qui-Gon Jinn and his wife, Le'orath were going to have a red-haired, green-eyed daughter named Mara. Bad idea. Too cliche for words. I spit on that one! Luckily, I changed my mind before people hunted me down.

Most of my other stories are pretty much as I envisioned them....for good or ill!

5. Happy_Hobbit_Padawan

Happy_Hobbit_Padawan Jedi Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Krystal - You're just using every chance you get to taunt us about Breathe, hmm? :p

I erase nothing. I keep all drafts, even sentences that I've rewritten. So looking through my old files is kinda funny; I can see the thought process I went through (although my notes are often messy and I can't decipher them at times :p).

But - now on to the topic.

In my Dark Mirage series, I'd originally planned for Obi-Wan and Xanatos to become rivals at some point. I hadn't decided if Dooku was going to be good or bad, so when I decided on him being a villain it made more sense for Obi and Xan to stick together.

6. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    HHP You keep everything??? Wow, if I did that, I'd need a bigger hard-drive. I delete about 3 times the volume of what my readers see.

7. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    In To Serve My Master, Obi-Wan was originally supposed to kill Shmi. I even had the scene written out and it was very, very dark. Obi-Wan was not at all nice in it. He sort of "played" with her like a cat plays with a mouse. But then again, he was a Sith...

8. solojones

solojones Winner, JCC Word Whiz star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 27, 2000
    This isn't a change, but in 2000 I wrote a series of two fics entitled Rebel Strike. When the recent third Rogue Squadron game used that same title, I felt very slighted. Come on, where are the royalties?! :p

All right, I had to go back to late junior high/early high school for this one...

Originally the gang of Earth 1939 was going to be sent to some time in the OT and the dilhemma was not to screw up the original success of the rebellion. I decided it was too out there and also too boring to have three characters played by Harrison Ford and two each by Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill. So instead, I changed the setting of the timewarp to Alderaan during the PT.

[hl=white]-sj loves kevin spacey[/hl]

9. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    When I started writing my ancient fic, Journey's End, I started off writing it in present tense. After a few headaches I decided to knock that off real quick. ;)

10. JDH3

JDH3 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    In The Sith Insurrection, Anakin Solo was originally going to have a romantic relationship with my OC Chiss, Frasta. :eek:

More to come...

JD.

11. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    Let's see...Shadows of a Past Long Forgotten was originally going to be titled Padawan. Armand Naberrie was originally going to be a girl, Helaine Trillium meant for Jacen Solo. :-D

12. JaersteinCysse

JaersteinCysse Jedi Master star 1

Apr 21, 2004
    my story Veiled Fate was originally going to be a Obi/ Siri / Qui/ Tahl/ Xantos/ Dooku story ... but then I realized every single other story on the Before the Saga board is that same thing.

Its a beautiful thing. But Change of Plans and When Tomorrow Became Today were both written for a creative writing class in high school ... that's why there so rushed and terrible. And Veiled Fate was originally going to be an off-shoot of the KOTOR Video Game, until I realized that game is more AU in my opinion and I only write stories that have absolutely no conflict with established EU and movie canon. Oh yeah and I wrote the first two chapters at 4 in the morning after getting home from a rager ... lol good times

13. Lilith Demodae

Lilith Demodae Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 1999
    The Right Place at the Right Time was started in first person, the whole first 20+ pages of it. o_O But something that happened later in the plot, that ocurred to me late one night at Estrella War, made it necessary to change it. Half-way through writing it my compter crashed and ate 80 pages of it :_|, 70 of which I managed to recover.

The whole point behind Crash Course, all 100+ pages of it :eek:, was to have a scene with Qui-Gon in biker leathers. [face_blush]

14. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    The whole point behind Crash Course, all 100+ pages of it, was to have a scene with Qui-Gon in biker leathers. [face_love]

We do appreciate that Lilith! :D

15. Drabbo_Fett

Drabbo_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2003
    "A Simple Business Transaction" started with an in-joke. Fett's false identity, Hal Archer, was named for the character Jeremy Bulloch played in the Doctor Who story "The Time Warrior": Hal the Archer. The idea was that Fett in disguise was Bulloch!

16. Lusa_Thul

Lusa_Thul Jedi Master star 4

Sep 9, 2004
    In my fic "Dawn Over Endless Night" my OC, Deirdra, was origionally going to have red hair and green eyes, before I remembered that that description fits about half of the women in Star Wars. So I scraped it, and went out of the way to make her unique looking. I also planned to have her constantly tormented by nightmares, but later decided to make her mute, instead! :)

17. Vongchild

Vongchild Jedi Master star 5

Apr 2, 2004
    In growing up on yuuzhan'tar, Shoon Mi's unnamed sin flipflopped between the murder of Rae Anor's mother and rape. I ended up never saying what it was he did, but it was probably the latter of the two.

In bottled anger, Lili was going to commit suicide, but I decided that was too dark and angst.

Both Anger and Yuuzhan'tar were h/c fics, if you couldn't tell. :p

For a while with Among the Stars, Jaina was going to remember her surname. Then I decided that it was better for the plot if she didn't. I also considered not including the yuuzhan vong and killing off Mara Jade. As you can read, neither came to pass.

18. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    LOL, in the fic I wrote with Jane Jinn, "Invisible Enemy," there was a scene I wrote that I scrapped. When we went to post it, though, Jane mentioned that it had a cat in it and the readers protested so much that I had to put it back in, even though I didn't think it really contributed anything to the story except fun factor!

Mostly, any little clever allusions or jokes I drop into my fics, my readers pick up on. (My faithful few... you are all so smart, it's really a challenge trying to think how to keep you guessing! [face_love])

19. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003

The whole point behind Crash Course, all 100+ pages of it shock , was to have a scene with Qui-Gon in biker leathers. blush

And an excellent plot it was too Lilith :D [face_love]

20. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Force Ghost star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Errrr...

In the original ploting of Knights and Eros Bound, Schurke was ment to be the one who died.....

:eek:

*runs*

21. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrely Community Mod star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    The whole point behind Crash Course, all 100+ pages of it , was to have a scene with Qui-Gon in biker leathers. -- here I thought it was the sweaty fight scenes? :D

At What Cost? my first kill challenge from the Qui-Gon thread, was originally written with the idea of the antagonist being the last male of his line out on his batchelor party... oh yeah his name was Kenobi. :D

22. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    In my story Live What You Learn my new original character, Eitan Delano started out as a Darksider who was killed within the first six chapters by Obi-Wan. The more I wrote him, the more I liked him so I ended up not killing him. He's now gone on to get two of his own stories. :p

23. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    In a story not posted Durhelediel and I wound up killing off Lana Josel one of our OCs. Jedi weren't supposed to have attachments and so I wasn't sure I liked the idea of her marrying Kyran but now the two are as natural as a pair of peas in a pod :D So we decided to spare her as Kyran would probably never forgive me now if I killed her :p

24. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    The Water's Edge was supposed to be 80 pages long, tops, and wasn't supposed to have much of a complex plot. :p Xanatos was supposed to have a minor role, as was Anakin when he was finally introduced. (Both are now major characters intregal to the plot.) Until halfway through, Padme was never supposed to make an appearance - I even made Elli write her out of something, I think - before I got over my denial and realized it was necessary. 8-}

I almost didn't post the first Temperature Series fic, The Blanket Incident, because I thought Luke was out of character. :p

Redemption was originally going to be canon, but I wanted a happier ending for Obi-Wan, Xan and co., so it wasn't. :p

I pondered several endings for The Cell, including: one of them dying of old age and the other going mad; them accidentally having a child, and not being able to support the child on the set food rations, one killing the other; the two of them killing themselves after a few years; and them starving to death. [face_devil] An early idea for The Cell had Luke and Mara instead of Obi-Wan and Padme - or Obi-Wan by himself. :p

This thread is entertaining. :D

25. lazykbys

lazykbys Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 21, 2004
    Madness started out as the story of a Jedi Master being hunted down by his ex-padawan who had surrendered to the dark side. Then I came up with (and immediately scrapped) the idea of a thousand turned Jedi in Darth Vader outfits.

I mean, no-one would ask "Is he real?" . . . would they?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.