main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Digital ID - What Could Be Bad?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Punk , Nov 29, 2022.

1. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    At a recent B20 summit, a World Health Organisation Official pitched the idea of a digital health certificate that would be globally recognised, and help keep people able to travel, and goods being shipped during any future pandemics/lockdowns.

Not the hardest of sells. It makes sense. Why not?

If you’re a Covid skeptic, and reject that, how about a digital ID scheme that will help stop the flow of immigrants into one’s country?

It seems that wherever you sit on the political spectrum a digital ID is being pitched to your greatest fears. Is it inevitable we’ll have them in our lifetime? What are the implications of such a system? What else will be part and parcel of this. Will our credit ratings or purchasing history be part of the data we freely give up to one big global database? How about our money and spending power? Will they be able to switch us off if we become disagreeable like some protesting Canadian trucker?

2. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Will I still be able to buy clone armies in secret?

3. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Will this make Bible Thumpers frighteningly talk about the book of revelation?

Will this scare people who are afraid of being tracked but carry a cell phone everywhere?

Jedi Ben and CT-867-5309 like this.
  4. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    Isn't digital ID kind of the unavoidable future? I mean, technology keeps evolving: before the arrival of PC, laptops and smartphones, everything was being done on paper and was being handwritten. Now, everything can be almost done digitally and on computers. Before, our ID were on cards and papers, so it seems that digital ID should be the future.

I don't think the problem is digital ID itself, but rather what politicians and leaders do with it: either we have check and balances, new rules and laws do avoid abuses in this new digital era, or we do nothing and we can have many slippages and restrictions on civil liberties. The tool itself shouldn't be the problem, but it's rather the intentions and what people can be able to do with it that could be the problem.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2022
  5. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    100%.

6. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    What doesn't?

7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    We already effectively have "digital IDs," though I guess somewhat less centralized than what is being proposed.

8. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    I say yes but with the nonnegotiable stipulation that we also all get our own digital pets we can use to fight the inevitable emergence of some digital tyranny.

9. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    I love the irony of people scared to death a vaccine will ‘microchip’ them like they are wild life at Yellowstone with an ear tag yet they pay a monthly fee to carry around a tracking device that eavesdrops on them and monitors most of their communications and often time even records their vital signs.

10. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    What's even worse is that these people think they're interesting enough to warrant biometric tracking.

11. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    Haha. Yeah. Like watching Fox News or listening to Alex Jones gets them on an FBI watch list.

And then there are the people who ask ‘If they committe a crime’ does this keep them from escaping. To which I’d ask ‘Are you planning on committing a crime?’

How about the 1/6 insurrectionists who not only brought their phones into the Capitol many of them were live streaming and posting images to social media of them breaking the law. How much more can you publicly track yourself than that?

I suppose I see where the problem could come in is we lived under an actual fascist regime. And I would worry for people who currently are involved with peacefully protesting for things like equal rights and healthcare.

If they’re involved in non-peaceful protest they need to be savvy.

12. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    To them, the US government is just as interested, evil, mysterious, powerful, and technologically advanced, as ALIENS from another galaxy.

13. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Humans are bad enough :p

14. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    @KnightWriter

I wanted implantable arm ID’s like 10 years ago that would monitor your health. If we can make it global? Fan-*******-tastic as it would hopefully force the US health insurance/healthcare systems to do stuff. Die horribly i would hope as we get a unified global healthcare system, but more realistically at least adapt somehow to the more social healthcare systems it would be linked to.

Also didn't Justin Timberlake star in this movie?