main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LA, CA Digital screenings in LA? where?

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Leftymo, May 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leftymo

Leftymo Jedi Master

May 14, 2002
    Where can I find the limited digital screenings of the film in Los Angeles?

Ebert said the digital photography doesn't do it justice, especially on large screens, the images are fuzzy or distorted. His recommendation is to watch it on digital or a smaller screen where the image is not expanded.

So again. Digital theaters in the LA area (Orange county is alright too)...

Can't seem to find listings...

2. scatfro

scatfro Jedi Youngling

Apr 8, 2002
    Check the post about the El Capitan or the post about the best theaters too see it at.

3. scatfro

scatfro Jedi Youngling

Apr 8, 2002
    Oh yeah by the way what Ebert was refering to by the DIgital being blurry was that when transfered too analog projection {instead of digital} the digitaly filmed Star Wars becomes very blurry.

4. acr-de

acr-de Jedi Youngling

Apr 8, 2002
    Hi,

how was the digital picture in the Chinese theater? Looking forward to see your impressions.

Bernhard

Germany

5. ahecht

ahecht Jedi Youngling

Oct 26, 2000
    The digital at the Chinese wasn't the best i've seen. The color alignment was slightly off, so on certain objects the right border was red and the left border was green. This was only distracting in really high contrast scenes. I'm going to go see it at Universal today to see if it is any better.
    BTW, here is the updated list of theaters confirmed to be showing EPII in Digital in LA:
    • Grauman's Chinese
    • Lowes Magic Johnson
    • Lowes Universal Citywalk (Universal City)
    • Lowes Century Plaza
    • Pacific Stadium 14 at The Grove
    • Pacific Stadium 16 at The Galleria (Sherman Oaks)

And slightly outside of LA:
    • Edwards Irvine Spectrum 21 Megaplex (Irvine)
    • AMC Santa Monica 7 (Santa Monica)

And in San Diego County:
    • AMC Mission Valley 20 (San Diego)
    • Edwards Mira Mesa Stadium 18 (San Diego)
    • UltraStar Del Mar Highlands 8 (San Diego)
    • UltraStar Poway Creekside Plaza 10 (Poway)
    • UltraStar LaCosta 6 (Carlsbad)
    • UltraStar Chula Vista (Chula Vista)

6. klingklang

klingklang Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 12, 1999
    So how was the digital projection at Universal ahecht? If it stays there long enough, that is where I hope to see it in a few weeks.

7. Manifest_Lun

Manifest_Lun Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2002
    Citywalk's digital projection is utter crap. I'll stick with the chinese.

8. klingklang

Jan 12, 1999
    Is it really? How is the Chinese Theatre's better by comparison?

9. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    I've now seen it twice digitally at Mann's Chinese Thater. I love the presentation there; the screen is huge and they have about 500 seats total. So you can watch it digitally with a huge crowd of people.

10. Manifest_Lun

May 22, 2002
    Again, they have over 1000 seats total.
    The experience at the chinese is better in the case that the loews at citywalk is run like crap. The theaters are always trashed, last time I was there the film was out of focus for a good ten minutes, there was a cord of some type hanging in front of the screen the whole time, and the theater was like sitting in an ice box, even after several people complained. Plus the staff isnt near as cool as it is at the chinese. (sound is better there too, sit between row numbers 10-15 for an awesome sound experience.)

11. klingklang

Jan 12, 1999
    Thanks so much for the details Manifest_Lun! I guess I'll go to the Chinese then next week when I'm in town. I haven't been to the Citywalk theatres in nearly two years (before Loews took over), so I didn't know it had become a horrible place to see a film just in general. Thanks again for the info.

12. rookie

rookie Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 27, 1999
    well i saw the movie on the dlp at the citywalk and had a pleasant experience. not as many seats, but 500 people is a little too much for me.

the image and sound was perfectly fine.

oh but go to the chinese anyway. i'm not fond of the area ever since the whole hollywood & highland fiasco, but it's much better than the lameness that is citywalk.

13. klingklang

Jan 12, 1999
    Hi rookie! :D See the thing is, during the day I'm in town, I'm near Hollywood & Highland (which I agree is a questionable thing...but I won't get into that). But then in the evening I'm going to Universal Ampitheatre, so then I'm near the cinemas. Thus, the confusion of where to go. I guess it'll be a surprise to me.

14. DEWGOD01

DEWGOD01 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 30, 2002
    FYI, when I was at Grauman's last weekend they had advertisement all over for "Sum of All Fears". My friend and started to discuss and remembered that back when Episode I came out that they had a special deal with Fox to show it for a shorter period of time then any "normal" theater. So, with that being said you might want to call them or try to see online. Oh, well never mind. I did the work for you. They have tickets and showtimes and you can buy them online if you choose. :)

15. rookie

Jul 27, 1999
    hey klingklang! confusing your situation is.

you could always see it twice, once at grauman's and then again at the citywalk? eitherway, i'm sure you'll have fun.

parking for both places is insane though. at universal, they tried to make us pay 8 bucks flat, before we could get validation if you went to see a movie but i guess not anymore.

most people park at the mta station now and just take the tram up to the citywalk.

16. DEWGOD01

DEWGOD01 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 30, 2002
    Actually I went to Citywalk the same day I went to Grauman's and the guy told me at the parking lot that if we had the ticket they would take two bucks off your tickets. I think the tickets there are like $250 or something so it won't make that much difference. (jk) :)

17. klingklang

Jan 12, 1999
    DEWGOD01: Thanks for the info. :) My luck though, the film will indeed have left the Chinese by the time I make it there.

rookie: As DEWGOD01 mentioned, you do have to pay $8 to park and then when you buy your film ticket, they refund you $2 back but only before a certain time (5 or 6, I seem to recall). But I'm going to have to park up there anyway for the concert in the evening, so that doesn't matter. As for the Chinese parking, I usually park at a lot that is about 3 blocks away off of Hollywood. It's $3, so it's not that bad. And I wish I could see the film at both theatres, but there's not enough time in the day to do that when Amoeba beckons as well ;)

18. rookie

Jul 27, 1999
    klingklang, what concert are you going to see? what a full day that's going to be: episode 2, amoeba, and the concert.

i was just at amoeba today with the same usual problem - never being able to decide what to get and knowing that i just don't have the money to spend! so i left with nothing but a longer list of cd's i want to eventually check out.

i need to know who you're listening to currently...i'm looking for some new stuff. :)

19. klingklang

Jan 12, 1999
    On Thursday I'm seeing Doves & Elbow, and then on Friday I'm seeing Pet Shop Boys (yes, I know...). So I have to spend the night in town, but it's giving me the pleasant opportunity to see AOTC somewhere.

And you sound like me at Amoeba :D I'll PM you with more info on music. Hope it helps!

20. Manifest_Lun

May 22, 2002
    Ameoba rules. The Chinese should be playing episode 2 until MIB 2 comes out. (at least thats their current plan, but things can quickly change)
    I just saw the movie in digital at the irvine spectrum saturday. It was okay, the seats are hella comfortable, but the sound still isnt anywhere near as good as the chinese.

21. pivy

pivy Jedi Youngling star 1

May 12, 2002
    Wow, i saw it at the Irvine Spectrum last week and I thought the sound was amazing...I can't even imagine the Chinese... :)

22. FortyWatto

FortyWatto Jedi Youngling

Jun 10, 2002
    Just came back from the Chinese, and the sound was AWFUL!

Yes, it was very very loud, and the Chinese has the best subwoofers in L.A., but the dialogue was so echo-y it made me yearn for my home system.

Now I sat in the 10th row, and there was nobody in front of me. Could this have made a difference? Someone please explain.

At one point, I went to the back, where the seats were full, and the dialogue did sound a little better. A little.

Also, I found the screen's size to be a problem in the dark scenes, particularly those with Dooku, as there didn't seem to be much differentiation between shades of black.

I've seen AOTC at four different LA area theaters now, and it looks the best at the Sherman Oaks digital screen (but it's not loud enough).

For those who don't know, they've removed a few hundred seats from the back of the Chinese-- I'd say the capacity is closer to 500 now than the 1200 it used to seat.

And has anyone noticed Jar Jar's "Annie, yousa grown" lines have been removed from the digital prints at Sherman Oaks and the Chinese? Though I've heard from people in other cities that their DLP Jar Jar lines are all fully intact.

23. klingklang

Jan 12, 1999
    I went to the Chinese on Friday and sat in the 13th row (well, the row that had a 13 marked on it). And while it was a tad on the echo-y side, I was still extremely pleased with the presentation--especially visually. It actually made me never want to go back to seeing the film in my own local theatres.

24. segask

segask Jedi Master star 1

Jun 15, 2002
    I saw it at Chinese too. Uh, I think the seating capacity there is still around 1400. Up until a couple years ago, before they moved the projection booth upstairs and replaced the seats, the seating capacity was approx. 1443. It doesn't look to me like it lost any seats at all. The popcorn lobby is bigger now, but that is because they expanded it into the space where the projection booth used to be on the main floor.

And yeah the picture was a little dim there. The new DLP projector technology can't throw a bright image on a screen that big yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.