main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Dinner Party - AU Romance (Anakin/Padme, Sola, Bail, Barriss...) Author announcement 8/21

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Reihla, Sep 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthYong789

DarthYong789 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 30, 2003
    great posts :) I really like how you have more characters that other authors made into a story, you just dont see them a lot.

2. Aiel

Aiel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Newbie reader here. Ahhh! I agree with everyone one else, FERUS?! Eww. I hope it doesn't become anything nasty, poor Ani. :_|

3. Reihla

Reihla Jedi Master star 3

May 17, 2002
    Thanks for your patience everybody! I?m back and hopefully back to a regular schedule of Wednesday postings. Belated thanks to DarthYong789 and welcome to Aiel :D Glad you guys are reading!

Dinner Party. Ch. 6. Longing and Surprises.

?? and their father used to say - ? Sola stopped mid-sentence, suddenly self-conscious, as if only just realizing she?d been talking nonstop for the better part of an hour. ?You know I think I?ve rambled long enough.?

?What did their father say?? Bail encouraged. He was listening to the stories, but was even more fascinated by Sola?s changing expressions. Love and pride in her family shone from her eyes and for a moment he found himself wishing those emotions could be directed his way.

?He used to say that they were far too mischievous to be so pretty.? The words were happy, but there was sadness in her voice.
    ?Knowing what I do of their aunt, and now their mother, I?m sure he was absolutely right.? Bail was surprised by the wistfulness that had crept into his tone. ?You must miss your husband deeply.? Now where had that come from? He certainly had not intended to bring that subject up. The last thing he wanted her thinking about right now was her lost love.

He felt more than heard her sigh. ?The pain never really goes away, but it has dulled with time. We grew up together, Darred and I. The love we shared was special, filled with shared experiences and familiarities. I?m sure some part of me will miss him for the rest of my life.?

?I - ? he broke off, suddenly uncomfortable with the direction his thoughts were taking. Once he made a statement like that there would be no going back.

?What?? She probed quietly, turning her head to see his face. What she saw there obviously intrigued her, though he couldn?t imagine why. Her eyes widened almost imperceptibly.

?I think we?d better get you back to your suite.? For the first time all evening Bail felt himself closing off, putting up the walls he?d spent a lifetime perfecting. It was obvious Sola saw it too and if her frown was any indication, she wasn?t pleased. He took the now empty glass from her hands, sitting it on the bench next to his as he turned towards the door.

?Please,? her softly uttered plea, stopped him in his tracks, ?I?d like to stay just a little longer. The view really is spectacular.? He almost relented, only to turn back and find she wasn?t even looking at the city.

She was looking at him - really looking at him - with an intensity that could see far too much. A sudden flash of insight told him that with very little effort this lady could knock down every one of his painstakingly erected barriers. Caring for her would be easy, but in the end it would leave him too exposed, too vulnerable to being hurt. It was bad enough that when she went home to Naboo he?d be left wanting, no, needing something he hadn?t even known existed until tonight.

?I don?t think that would be a good idea.? He tried his most commanding Senatorial baritone.

Sola lost none of her resolve. Evidently she could tell an untruth when she heard it. ?On the contrary, Your Highness, I think it is a wonderful idea. The best I?ve had all evening.? She grasped the edges of his cloak, purposely wrapping it tighter around her as she turned back to the night sky.

The meaning of her action wasn?t lost on Bail. The deliberate gesture told him loud and clear that she would welcome a more intimate embrace from the owner of the garment. His heart skipped a beat as he found himself consumed with envy for an article of clothing. For the hundredth time that evening he had to remind himself to breathe. He wanted to hold her more than he wanted the next sunrise and the intensity of that longing scared him to death.

His head was shouting common sense, telling him to run the other way even as his feet moved toward her. He could not become involved with someone right now, not when tensions in the senate were running high and the galaxy

4. Dally

Dally Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    Wonderful chapter! I'm glad Padme is figuring out the truth.

5. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Yay! You go Bail!!! [face_love] Ohhh juz to imagine his arms... Ack! [face_blush] shame on me! *snrk* hrmmm but to have him whisper by your ear... hrmmm ;) hehehehehe

Yay! Glad to see that Padme is realizing who it was she kissed! hehehehe *whew* that would have been a catastrophe if she assumed Olin!! hehehe

Yep that's Anakin all right! Taking his joys in flying ;) already planning to get Padme as his hehehe yep that's Anakin to a 'T' all right!

Great job!!! Glad to see Sola relax ;) and see Bail on the edge hehehehe

6. qtrhrs78

qtrhrs78 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 1, 2003
    Great update! So Barriss didn't realize it was Anakin that Padme was referring to? I've been waiting a while to be evil and judgmental, but I guess she's okay. :) After all, she did clue Padme in, even if it wasn't on purpose. I'm looking forward to next Wednesday.

7. Jazz_Skywalker

Jazz_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2002
    Yay! I'm so glad that you had Barriss mention that Anakin was the one she was on the balcony with, not Ferus. I can't wait to see what happens next!

JS

8. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Yup, barriss has got it PEGGED!

9. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    awesome and Barris has figured it out more soon :D

10. Aiel

Oct 14, 2004
    Fantastic update. And ohh, Padme knows it Anakin :D, I'm glad you didn't drag out the thing with Ferus. More soon, please? [face_praying]

11. darth_daydreamer

darth_daydreamer Jedi Youngling

Oct 6, 2004
    I'm bouncing... happy that Padm~{(&~} figured out it was Anakin! Smirking at her disbelief. Great writing and I can't wait for your next post!

12. Alderaan21

Alderaan21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 1998
    *waves at fellow AS Homepage poster* :)

Been lurking on this story for a while, but since I've taken to posting at the JC again, I decided I owed it to you to speak up now and say how much I've been enjoying this story, Reihla. :) Lovely job with both romance plotlines, and with the characterization of all involved - romantic fluff is nice, but it's even nicer when the characters are handled so well. Definitely looking forward to more!

(Also finished 'Naboo Rain' after an extended hiatus from that story - fabulous work there as well!)

13. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Go Sola! That's how you should handle a situation like that! I'm with her, if you see someone you want, let them know!

I loved Anakin's high spirits. He certainly is flying high now that he's exchanged kisses with the lovely Padme.

?I don?t think that would be a good idea.? He tried his most commanding Senatorial baritone.

Sola lost none of her resolve. Evidently she could tell an untruth when she heard it. ?On the contrary, Your Highness, I think it is a wonderful idea. The best I?ve had all evening.? She grasped the edges of his cloak, purposely wrapping it tighter around her as she turned back to the night sky.

Loved this exchange! :D

14. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    Things definitely seem to be warming up between Sola and Bail. [face_love]

Whew! Glad that Padme has figured out the identity of her mystery man. Anakin's reaction by taking the speeder was so, well, Anakin.

Hope his little night time ride doesn't land him into trouble...

Excellent chapter!

15. leia_naberrie

leia_naberrie Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2002
    Anakin where goest thou? [face_mischief]

So this is definitely AU? Great! :D I'd love to see how it goes! :D

16. Reihla

May 17, 2002
    Dally ? I'm glad Padme is figuring out the truth.

You and me both! :)

Kynstar ? Yay! You go Bail!!!

He surprised me a bit in this story by the ease with which he came across as lonely and wounded. Of course, Sola being compassionate and caring (not to mention a bit lonely herself), she can?t resist.

that would have been a catastrophe if she assumed Olin!!

Some possibilities are too horrible to contemplate!

Yep that's Anakin all right!

Where else would he go to clear his head? Unfortunately he has to settle for the tamer speeders, but I bet he would?ve loved a good pod race about then.

qtrhrs78 ? So Barriss didn't realize it was Anakin that Padme was referring to?

Well, Anakin had already told her they were old friends? Would he lie ? er, exaggerate? ;)

Jazz_Skywalker ? I can't wait to see what happens next!

I confess to being a little anxious about that myself!

DarthIshtar ? Yup, barriss has got it PEGGED!

And it isn?t easy when no one is being straight with you! [face_laugh]

JediFalcon ? Barris has figured it out more soon

She?s perceptive, our Barriss.

Aiel ? I'm glad you didn't drag out the thing with Ferus.

That whole Padmé/Ferus tangle was far too cruel even for me - though it could?ve been fun watching a jealous Anakin Force-twist him into a pretzel.

darth_daydreamer ? ..happy that Padme figured out it was Anakin! Smirking at her disbelief.

I just kinda figured she would have trouble taking it all in. I?m glad you?re enjoying the story!

Alderaan21 ? Hi Aeryn! So glad you dropped in! :D

romantic fluff is nice, but it's even nicer when the characters are handled so well.

Thank you! I?m a big fan of fluff with a purpose. Thanks, also, for letting me know you liked ?Naboo Rain?. :)

VaderLVR64 ? Go Sola!...if you see someone you want, let them know!

Well, it took her a while to settle into that mind-set, but in the end she truly is Padmé?s sister ? very perceptive about people and not one to let a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity go by.

You?re right about Anakin. He?s ecstatic. I hope he can hold onto that feeling.

Gina ? Things definitely seem to be warming up between Sola and Bail.

Definitely!

Hope his little night time ride doesn't land him into trouble...

Most of what Anakin does seems to land him in trouble?

leia_naberrie ? So this is definitely AU?

Unless I can justify a memory wipe for all humans involved, yeah, I guess it is. Not having Padmé discover her suitor just wasn?t working for me.

Thanks, everyone, for your patience while I was gone. I?m so glad to find you?re still reading! :D

17. Vivid_Scripts

Vivid_Scripts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2004
    great to see you back, Rei! Did you enjoy your vacation?

As for the chapter... Well its great to see that Barriss didn't keep that game going. Padme and Ferus?
    ...:/ ehhh. The Bail/Sola action is great, and I love the way you can always delve into Anakin's character. That midnight spin in the speeder feels so Anakin, you know. Great post, Rei... next update soon?

18. Aiel

Oct 14, 2004
    Twist him into a pretzel huh? Yep, I'd pay big money to see that. Hope you enjoyed your break.

19. Kazzy

Kazzy Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 17, 2002
    So Padmé now knows it's Anakin. Yay! :D I can't help think though that Barriss may have a point. Bad things will happen. Of course bad doesn't mean that they won't be fun. As long as it's the good type of fun...and I'm talking myself in circles aren't I?

Bail and Sola are so perfect for each other - it makes me giggle to see them together. Lovely! :)

20. Reihla

May 17, 2002
    Vivid_Scripts ? Hi! I did manage to enjoy a bit of my trip :) Thanks for asking.

Aiel ? Yup, pretzelized Ferus. Heck who wouldn?t pay to see that! :D

Kazzy ? I can't help think though that Barriss may have a point ? She usually does. Barriss strikes me as someone with loads of common sense.

Thanks for reading!

Now, for today?s update?.

Dinner Party. Ch. 7. Deceptions & Candor.

Barriss watched as the senator from Naboo stared off into space. Something wasn?t right with all this. She?d expected Amidala to laugh and explain why she hadn?t asked Anakin about the identity of the mysterious, helpful padawan. Instead the pretty senator had turned pale, looking for all the world as if she?d just seen a ghost.

?Anakin told me the two of you were old friends.? Barriss was instantly guarded.

?Yes, I guess you could say that we are. We met long ago. During the Trade Federation blockade on Naboo.? She was still gazing, unseeing, past Barriss.

?That was the only reason I gave him time to speak with you alone.?

Suddenly Padmé seemed to snap to attention. ?You and he planned that?? Her voice had regained its usual strength and she fixed her most intimidating senatorial stare upon the young padawan.

Barriss sat up straighter under the weight of that practiced gaze. She had the oddest feeling she?d just been accused of conspiracy.

?No,? she explained in her most reasonable tone, ?we didn?t plan that. It was just that when I returned from delivering your message I could sense Anakin was out there on the balcony with you. He had already explained that the two of you knew each other. He told me he?d appreciate a chance to speak to you. I didn?t see any harm in letting you have a few moments to talk.?

?Talk.? Padmé?s expression softened a bit and she pressed her fingers gently to her lips. ?Not the word I would?ve used.?

Barriss?s blue eyes widened incredulously as comprehension dawned. The senator?s dazed expression, the unease Anakin had shown earlier as he left the party, Padmé?s unexpected invitation, along with her questions and the surprise she?d showed at Anakin?s name. It all added up to a scenario Barriss would?ve preferred not to give credence.

?Senator, if Anakin?s actions were in any way inappropriate?? Barriss?s voice trailed off, almost as if inviting Padmé to explain.

?Inappropriate?? Padmé laughed, but the sound was strangely devoid of mirth. ?That depends entirely upon your perspective. Let?s just say I didn?t think so at the time.?

She met Barriss?s gaze resolutely and Barriss felt the other woman taking her measure.
    She endured the scrutiny silently. All at once, as if satisfied with what she saw, Amidala continued in a low voice, explaining about Anakin?s concealed identity and their shared kiss on the patio. Barriss guessed she was holding something back but didn?t press.

?I can?t imagine what Anakin was thinking.? Barriss offered wondering to herself if Anakin had lost his mind.

Padmé seemed to have regained her equilibrium with her disclosure. Her eyes were brighter, if a touch sad.

?I suspect he was only playing a game with me.?

?A game?? That did sound like Anakin. ?But why??

Padmé shrugged delicately. ?Perhaps to pay me back for hiding my identity from him all those years ago. See, when we met I was disguised as a royal handmaiden. For security reasons I couldn?t explain that I was actually the Queen of Naboo, not even to a nine year old boy with no political agenda.? She paused for a minute, as if really considering the possibility that Anakin had been engaging in a bit of payback. ?Of course, I?m probably just reading too much into this.?

?Hm.? Barriss appeared thoughtful. ?That actually does sound like something Anakin would do.? A light came into her eyes, causing them to sparkle with amusement. Anakin wasn?t easily tricked or embarrassed, so opportunities to return his practical jokes were few and far between. This chan

21. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Hehehe Barriss caught on! *snrk* bright Paddy ;)

OHHHH somebody stop me!!! Fan...where's my fan!!! I'm going to faint... Oh man... Sola is soooo freakin' lucky!!! =P~
    That man can talk... if only...if only I could find a guy like that...

The arms that held her were strongly muscled, but Sola could feel the tremor running through them. For the first time that night she felt a rush of purely feminine power. This man, this prince, was vulnerable to her! Relaxing by degrees, she leaned back against him, hearing his breath catch as she pressed her body to his. She felt him draw a deep breath before he continued.

?You scare me Sola Naberrie. When I saw you tonight it was as if I?d dreamed you, as if I?d been dreaming of you my whole life. Everything about you is perfect. Your wisdom, your grace and beauty, your ability to love, your generosity, your devotion to your family. You make me want things I shouldn?t. Things I can?t have.? His words confirmed her suspicions. He had been just as shaken by the strength of the attraction between them as she was.

Oh isn't she sweet! She speaks the truth though... Bail was known to do all that...

And you?ve appointed yourself the savior of Alderaan and the rest of the galaxy.? She smiled sweetly, finally feeling she understood this man standing in front of her. ?Of course, how could you not? Compassion is obviously so much a part of you.? She raised her eyes to his, lifting her hand to his cheek. ?I believe you and my dear sister are cut from the same cloth.?

At her tender touch his eyelids drifted shut. Almost instinctively he turned his lips into her palm. Though heat of the intimate caress seared her to her toes Sola refused to be distracted. Making him understand was important.

?I?ve got news for you Bail Organa. If you aren?t worthy of happiness there isn?t another single solitary being in the universe that is. Every day you come here and defend not only the Alderaani citizens, but the Republic as a whole. It occurs to me that you, of all people, should have the very things you fight to make possible for others.?

:eek: *Fans self* [face_love] Oi I'm gonna faint!!! If only a man would do that to me!!! And talk the way he did up above...... *dreamy sigh*

Bail, what are you afraid of?? The question was rhetorical, her voice a mere whisper of sound. Alight with a golden fire of their own, her eyes pleaded with him.

His expression remained carefully guarded. ?Be sure this is what you want Sola.? He warned. ?I?m not a man who gives my heart easily and you hold it in the palm of your hand.?

Her lips curled upward in an eloquent smile. ?I assure you, Your Highness, you?ll be safe with me.?

She saw the uncertainty in his gaze, then watched as desire overcame it. The walls he?d been trying to build between them crumbled under the assault. A groan came from somewhere deep in his chest as he pulled her to him.

Theirs was not the gentle first kiss of courtship. For both of them the empty years had allowed longing to collect like dry kindling in a forest. It needed only one spark to set it ablaze and the heat quickly overwhelmed them both.

Ahhh so noble of him!!! *SIGH* So many people do rush into things...

?For once in my life I know exactly what I want, and I?m not going to rush things. I?m going to be sure you regret nothing.? His awkwardness had disappeared but his breathing was slower to return to normal.

He wants to court her!!! How honorable is he or what? [face_love]

Okay... *THAT* was the best chapter yet!!! Excellent job Reihla you juz got me out of my blue mood!! Now I'm in a dreamy mood... grrrrrowl and isn't Jimmy so hot looking to boot!! *sigh*

22. Jazz_Skywalker

Jazz_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2002
    Anakin wasn?t easily tricked or embarrassed, so opportunities to return his practical jokes were few and far between. This chance might never come again. Besides, Barriss thought, she was starting to like this young senator from Naboo.

?Perhaps we shouldn?t let him get by with it.? She suggested.

Padmé?s eyes lit up at the thought. ?What did you have in mind??

Sounds perfect, but I never would have imagined Barriss, of all beings, to plan a practical joke with Padme on Anakin! Awesome!

JS

23. Dally

Dally Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    It's interesting to see the difference in the pace of their romances. Good chapter.

24. qtrhrs78

qtrhrs78 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 1, 2003
    So now Padme thinks Anakin was just joking around? It ought to be interesting to see what she and Barriss have in store for him next. And Bail and Sola finally kissed! They seem so good together.

25. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    ::JUmps up and down on behalf of Sola and Bail.:: I WANT THEM TO GET MARRIED! IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK?

Oh, and Padme/Barriss were cute as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.