main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Disable the ignore function

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Ender Sai, Jun 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    How about an "Ignore" button with a Mod override, to prevent abuse? I dont think its our place to really tell users who they can or cant view. However, would an "ignore" button impact thread continuity?

2. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    That is so true. We don't invite annoying people to spend time with us. If we are at a club and somebody is bugging us, we usually leave and it ruins our day. It would be great to be able to push a button and that drunken annoying lout suddenly disappears.

We can't avoid all annoying people all the time, but we can try. I have one person at my gym that bugs the hell out of me. She isn't doing anything against the gym rules...she's just annoying and talks all the time. My solution is to wear my iPod earbuds constantly and pretend I don't hear her when she talks to me. It is sort of like an ignore button.

I'd say keep the ignore button because people are using it. I have a couple people on ignore and not seeing their posts has made using these forums so much more enjoyable.

3. Malcolm Reynolds

Malcolm Reynolds Jedi Master star 5

Sep 2, 2013
    is the ignore button a problem now?

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    This thread got started because a guy in the JCC ignored everyone he disagreed with, which was most of the people in a particular thread, and therefore ended up having a really long conversation with himself while the rest of the thread happened around him.

That was my understanding anyway.

So...no. If that is considered a problem, I still maintain that it solves far more problems than it solves.

I can't imagine what "abuse" would look like, and the impact on thread continuity has been very isolated as I see it.

I would certainly rather keep the button with mod override than have it disappear altogether.

And yeah, repeating myself a bit here but I don't think you all forcing people to talk to each other is going to make this community any better or make your jobs easier. Letting people make each other disappear would.

V-2 likes this.
  5. Malcolm Reynolds

Malcolm Reynolds Jedi Master star 5

Sep 2, 2013
    I guess an alternative is for a user to notify a mod. This seems like an unneeded extra step though.

6. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Of course this could all be fixed if everybody else in that thread ignored Mr. Hyper-ignorer. Then the thread would look completely normal to them.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  7. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    I like the ignore function, I have been in some heated arguments and I found it best to just ignore the other user, don't want to give them that satisfaction of getting myself banned, so I prefer "the out of sight, out of mind solution".

8. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    That's what they're there for. We functioned fine for well over a decade with no ignore feature, and nobody died.

9. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    And you can always take someone off ignore once things cool down or you've just forgotten about it or whatever. I've done that plenty. It's not surprising that a lot of people will chill out once they realize you're just ignoring them. It's great for putting an end to needless bickering when people just can't let a subject drop, when everyone just has to have the last word, one final snipe.

For me, the ignore list is rarely a life sentence, unless you've got nothing to offer except the same old spam.

I usually take people off ignore after a couple weeks or a month or whatever, and give them another shot.

Darkslayer, Rew, V-2 and 2 others like this.
  10. Ewok_Slayer

Ewok_Slayer Jedi Master star 2

Nov 24, 2004
    That's a good point.

Also, we functioned fine for well over a decade with no "Like" feature and nobody died. Are we going to get rid of that? How about every other new feature in this site? That's not really a good argument. We have the Ignore feature now. Some people use it and like it. I see no reason to disable it.

11. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    As though there aren't good arguments against the "like" feature. :p

12. Ewok_Slayer

Nov 24, 2004
    Darth Guy I saw somebody in another thread arguing the "Like" button made people lazy and less likely to comment on posts they would have in the past. It decreased person-to-person interaction. That was their argument at least.

13. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    I have a question: is it possible to ignore a mod?

"Academic curiosity, you understand." -Daffy Duck

14. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Answer: No.

15. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It's not possible, no. Even if it were it'd be a terrible idea because you wouldn't see their warnings.

16. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    That might've been my comment. It does make me lazy, but I want to keep it. I do see the good in having it, as it allows me to gauge reactions. If a number of people like my comment, then I said something right. If I like someone else's comment, then they said something right (at least to me). Yes, it makes me lazy, but I see that as a good thing, as I'm not cluttering a thread with a stock "I agree" when I agree with someone, but have nothing more to add.

17. Ewok_Slayer

Nov 24, 2004
    It's still a reasonable argument. My point was there are other new features at this site that we never needed in the past, but we like them, so we keep them. I think the pros of the Ignore button outweigh any cons. From the examples given, the cons appear to be in a few isolated threads, whereas all people throughout TFN could benefit from the ignore feature if they so chose and reap the benefits of not having to deal with annoying barely-TOS-compliant-trolls.

18. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    Exactly my reasoning for asking. Thank you.

19. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I have only used ignore on one individual, even though a fair number of people have annoyed me on these forums at one point or another. The individual was Lord Tyrannus, who was mainly active on the film forums some time ago and was saying some rather bizarre things when he showed up on these forums, but I ended up simply not posting in the film forums in the past few months anyway, so I just decided to unignore him after seeing this thread. I apparently wasn't the only one who used ignore on Lord Tyrannus, because he seems to have quit posting some time ago.

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  20. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Zeta1127, L.T is one of the people I ignore and I've never been in the film forum.

21. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    I think you are missing a category of buffoonery that is not within the scope of a mod's authority. In theory, a mod is limited to taking action that is violative of the TOS; being an idot or jerk is not necessarily a violation. There are enough users that skirt the line, while still acting boorish, misogynistic, and outright jerks to others. Mainitaining the "ignore" function would allow users to avoid the comments of these idiots without haveing to rely on the mods.

22. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005

It does impact conversation, yes. To use the example anakinfan used, there is a senate thread devoted to misogyny. One user made several posts that were sexist and annoying. He apparently placed everybody who disagreed with him on ignore. So, responding to his lengthy posts was futile, because he couldn't see any of the responses. What's the point in having discussion threads when people aren't reading the posts? If a user is being a jerk--sexist, racist, or other, a mod should step in. It's much like the recent infestation of racists in the Episide 7 forum... they get removed by mods. I realize you're new here, and have never seen this place without the ignore feature. Like I said, for well over a decade, we managed fine without it. The mods weren't overworked, and discussion went on with no problems. When jerks popped up, they were taken care of.

Ender Sai likes this.
  23. Estelita

Estelita Jedi Master star 2

Oct 29, 2001
    I agree on this point about the limit to what mods can do. I certainly don't mind talking with people who disagree with me, but after seeing my words twisted and laughed at time and again I'd rather just be able to ignore that person while maintaining the conversation with others. I know I'm free to not respond to that person but just seeing certain things they say causes quite a bit of pain (I've tried the "scroll really fast" technique with mixed results). I also understand the boards have survived a long time and apparently not killed anyone despite the lack of the ignore function but I certainly could have used it in my earlier time here for this reason.

Barriss_Coffee and V-2 like this.
  24. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Not really.

There's about a dozen replies to people who were consistently disagreeing with him, like Point Given, zapdos, Rogue Ten, etc.

So maybe there's something more to it than just disagreement.

Maybe some people from the JCC should take responsibility for constantly mocking this guy? Maybe the JCC did something to deserve getting put on ignore by this guy? Is he supposed to take your mockery and come back for more?

He could see some of the responses, from people he wished to communicate with.

There's always the option to, you know, stop responding to his nonsense.

Fixed.

Oh, and what would the difference be if the ignore button did not exist, and moviefan2k4 decided not to respond to or to even read (to use the skim technique so many have admitted they use) comments from certain users? No difference.

And what does this have to do with using the ignore button? Nothing.

You're free to continue managing without it. I'd like to continue enjoying this site with it.

Again, JCC is butthurt about being ignored. Moviefan2k4 has embarrassed the JCC better than anyone in years.

Moviefan2k4 1
    JCC 1

(JCC gets a point for getting Moviefan2k4 to start his own forum)

V-2 likes this.
  25. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    You assume too much.

That does not always happen. Mods enter a very slippery slope when we try to "censor" unlikeable posts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.