main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Discuss BP with Kathy -- Spoilers Welcome

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Shmi52, Oct 31, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shmi52

Shmi52 Author of New Jedi Order: Balance Point star 3 VIP

Nov 20, 1999
    This first post is long, but please read it.

If you like anything about BALANCE POINT, then please direct a full share of your thanks to Mr. Lucas for creating the GFFA, and then to Shelly Shapiro, Sue Rostoni, Lucy Autrey Wilson, Allan Kausch, Jim Luceno, Mike Stackpole, Bob Salvatore, Tim Zahn, Aaron Allston, Troy Denning, and Dan Wallace! The NJO is a team effort. Every one of those people contributed directly to BP, especially to the parts that you folks have complimented already. Also, I want to publicly thank the Lord I serve: for the gift of imagination, for so many new friends, and for joy in the middle of those seemingly interminable labor-pains of producing a book. He is light, and in him is no darkness at all!

Regarding the biggest spoiler: if you?re pleased, then you really do need to thank Shelly Shapiro, who liked my proposal and said she?d go ahead and suggest it to LFL. Thank Sue Rostoni, who approves or disapproves just about everything in the EU, and thank anyone at LFL Sue consulted before she approved my final outline. Mara?s pregnancy was my suggestion (and yours), but later I learned that Shelly, Sue, and the others were already considering it for later in the series. I urged them to move it sooner, believing the NJO needed more bright moments early on. And, selfishly, because I wanted to write it!

I have read the "Thank You, Kathy" thread. I bounced up and down on my chair and hollered for joy and scared the living daylights out of my poor cats. You?re welcome!! Now thank those other folks, too ? and our own administrators, and all the TFN Books people who knew how to keep secrets ? not to mention the other internet reporters, who have been awfully Good about Holding back Entertaining News Till Zero-hour. Thank YOU, those of you who have already said kind things about BP, TAB, the Firebird books, and my other works.

I?ll try to give a good answer to every reasonable question, even if the answer is only, "I don?t remember!" ? but in return, I ask that you read the previous questions before you add your own. If it?s already answered, please don?t post it again.

I'm sorry, but I can't comment on (or endorse) your websites or fanfic stories. I see that as a fairness issue -- how could I possibly get to them all?

Another request: no cussing or vulgarity. If you want to know why I?m sensitive on this issue, go to http://www.kathytyers.com and follow the link on the bio page. I know BP isn?t perfect, and I can take honest criticism (if I couldn?t, I would not survive as a professional writer). Every author has strengths and weaknesses. I won?t wilt if you take thoughtful exception to something I wrote (and I won?t stop liking you for it, either), but I do have feelings. That?s why I?ll confine myself to this thread for a while.

And now, please don?t feel compelled to read any farther if you?d rather not have the book spoiled. I plan to check this thread regularly for weeks, and there?s a chat coming up at JediNet (November 17, '00 -- a detailed announcement will appear). You can ask questions later. I think it?s much more fun to experience a story along with the characters, as it happens!

Okay, friends. Fire when ready. SPOILERS AHEAD.

2. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Hey KT. Not too many online this early. I haven't read it yet (stupid bookstores), but I plan on picking it up in a few hrs. You ginna be here tomarrow?

(You may have mentioned it in your post, but I didn't read it for fear of spoilers. Are there spoilers in your first post?)

3. jedimasterED

jedimasterED Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 10, 1999
    WOW! Am I the First one?! Yay!

oh... *regains composure*

I haven't picked up BP yet, the mall doesn't open for another two hours, but I do know quite a bit about the book. That said, I'd like to ask you about Han and Leia's reconsiliation. Was this also something you proposed for BP, or was it suggested to you? And, where do you see Han and Leia going in the NJO?

Thanks! This is great!

4. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    I was first:D

5. jedimasterED

Oct 10, 1999
    Punk! J/K! =D We're in the same boat, you and me, wild_karrde. Going to buy the book in a little under two hours! =D I'm very excited! I'm sure the conversation herein will continue over into tomorrow. =)

6. Talon_Karrde_

Talon_Karrde_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2000
    Does anyone know if the paperback comes out today?

7. Shmi52

Nov 20, 1999
    w_k -- Yes, there are spoilers in my first post. Apologies.

jedimasterEd -- H/L's reconciliation in HC2 was part of the original NJO outline. I can't take credit, but I sure was glad to know I'd be writing one of the series' bright moments.

Where do I see them going? Er . . . *that* I can't discuss. :D

Kathy

8. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    I hope so. I went to the bookstore yesterday, and they were just starting to unpack the new releases. But I don't think they would have liked it if I started tearing open all the boxes.

9. Shmi52

Nov 20, 1999
    Talon -- I haven't found out the paperback's release date, but I suspect it will be several months. It's, er, a marketing decision . . .

TAB's paperback came out almost exactly a year after the hardcover edition. I believe Del Rey is accelerating that with NJO.

Kathy

10. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    One question that isn't going to spoil me:

Was the "face" put there on purpose? Whose idea was it?

11. Talon_Karrde_

Talon_Karrde_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2000
    <luke scream> NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!</luke scream>

I'm am now forced to buy the hardback. ACK! It's ok though. Kathy, I'm sure you did a great job, I'll be back

12. Shmi52

Nov 20, 1999
    w_k -- When you hold the actual book in your hand and see the "face" on the cover, you'll see so much detail that you'll realize it couldn't possibly have been put there accidentally.

As far as I know, the idea came from Cliff Nielsen, the cover artist. But I could be mistaken. And the cover, like everything else in that book, had to be approved by Higher Authorities!

Kathy

13. Dev Sibwarra

Dev Sibwarra Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 1999
    "I hope so. I went to the bookstore yesterday, and they were just starting to unpack the new releases. But I don't think they would have liked it if I started tearing open all the boxes."

Didn't that happen with Heir to the Empire? :)

I can't wait to get my copy, but I may have to.

14. Shmi52

Nov 20, 1999
    Good morning, Dev! Congrats on all those stars -- maybe I'll get another one today? ;)

No, I just checked my count. I'm a long way out. Oh, well.

Kathy

15. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    hmmm, seems whoever released the cover fooled with the contrast and brightness first. That's how we found "the face" ourselves.

I better not come back until I get the book, cause I just know I'm gonna get spoiled.

I foresee a night with very little sleep as I try to finish the book before tomarrow.

16. Shmi52

Nov 20, 1999
    PLEASE, PEOPLE (especially any of you who are students) do NOT stay up all night reading BALANCE POINT just to get in on this discussion! I'll be here for weeks and YOU NEED YOUR REST!!

/mom mode off

:)

Kathy

17. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    I don't want to start up soft cover vs. hardcover. But, my feeling on things is that if I think a book is worth getting, I'm going to go ahead and get something that lasts. I know I've read my other SW books at least twice on average, and some as many as 4 and 5 times. My Rogue Squadron softcovers, especially, are all dog-eared and generally in well-used condition.

I plan on buying my BP hardcover later on this afternoon!

18. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    I was probably going to stay up watching TV anyway. Don't worry, the only class I *have* to go to is at 4pm.

19. jedimasterED

Oct 10, 1999
    Thanks, Kathy, for the reply. I'm glad you got to write it, too.

I think Del Rey said something about trying to get the Paperbacks out a month or two after the Hardbacks, but I could be wrong.

wild_karrde, "the only class I *have* to go to..."
    LOL! I'm going to read BP in my 2:00 Political Science class! =D

20. Shmi52

Nov 20, 1999
    Hope you enjoy it, G12!

w_k, you must have a mighty nice schedule on Wednesdays! That's the day my poor kiddo goes from 9 to 3 with only a one-hour break at 10AM. No lunch. The mom in me cringes.

Kathy

21. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    Actually, I'm pretty far ahead. I got 2 weeks to get 2 projects done, and each one only takes 2 days to do. That's why I'm here so often.

22. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    Poodu says "Hi Kathy" but he can't be here, cause he doesn't want to get spoiled.

23. Shmi52

Nov 20, 1999
    w_k -- Very smart. That's the way I liked to operate. Thank goodness I work well under deadlines, though.

Kathy

24. Shmi52

Nov 20, 1999
    Then please greet Poodu for me, and say that I'm honored by anyone who'd rather read the book before the spoilers!

Kathy

25. Poodu

Poodu Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 3, 1999
    Hey Kathy! Ol' karrdey told me that there weren't any spoilers here yet, so I thought I'd drop in and say hi! Thanks to wild_karrde for helping me out too!

Can't wait for Amazon to deliver your book to me! Very excited, especially seeing as I have no idea what lies in store! *nervous chittering*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.