main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discuss BP with Kathy -- Spoilers Welcome

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Shmi52, Oct 31, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    Hey kathy, I like the way to presented Han and Leia's faces with streaks of gray in their hair. You were able to show that Leia was still beautiful, a clear sign that she's starting to age gracefully. My question si: whom did you use as models to present Jacen's face and Jaina

2. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    Ms. Tyers had nothing to do with the cover art. Few authors do.

3. Mad Jedi Master

Mad Jedi Master Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2000
    Forgive me if this has been asked already (I don't remember it having been), but besides vetting your pages for Mara, has Timothy Zahn had any consultation about the NJO?

I'd love to see him write Star Wars again, but I suppose that's probably wishful thinking. I'm going to read the Icarus Hunt when I get time... but that's another thread...

4. JEDIAKASH

JEDIAKASH Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 2000
    I really like your signature, Mad Jedi Master, it's very appropriate, but that's off topic...

5. Ganner_Rhysode86

Ganner_Rhysode86 Jedi Youngling

Nov 9, 2000
    Anyway, back on topic.....

6. Shmi52

Shmi52 Author of New Jedi Order: Balance Point star 3 VIP

Nov 20, 1999
    Just back from a wonderful trip to hear my son's first collegiate choral concert. In a word, exquisite. Oh yeah, he looked pretty good in a tux --

JanzWalker -- Thanks for the soundtrack recommendation. I'll have to look that up.

Freyja -- That comment about Jaina was from NA's POV. Don't take it as gospel.

gwjedi - No, I haven't.

Vergere -- You're very kind.

JEDIAKASH -- I've put my best possible interp of Force use into BP. You're also welcome to drop in at my website, if you want to know where I'm coming from (spiritually). Thanks much for your comments.

Dewlanna -- And bouquets to the Wookiee Mom!

Ana V -- Thanks for posting those references.

Nom Anor -- Sunulok's smaller than a worldship. Beyond that, I don't know much. Great q, though. Query Del Rey about the guide idea --

noitsart -- Look for Jim Luceno to emerge as DR's next "continuity czar" (your term, and a good one).

Evil Solo -- I like "good form" better than all your other comparisons put together. Do I detect another JM Barrie fan?

Thanks for your kind wishes -- please avoid "kicking" references in future posts -- and yes, the ending was DR's suggestion (not mine own), but I'm delighted that people enjoy it.

JediSmuggler . . . stay tuned.

JediAlly -- Good thought on the lightsaber issue. But yes, I think she clobbered a few underlings when Jacen with busy taking care of Mom.

Destiny -- I didn't have Thanas picked as a mate for Gaeri -- just as a sympathetic tharacter -- but I liked Roger's idea of pairing them off.

I'm glad you like that Jacen quote!

"Destiny" -- I actually named a minor character in my Firebird novels "Destia" with that connotation in mind. I wish I could say she'd survived and succeeded, but her death certainly galvanized the series's heroine --

Crystena77 -- Thank YOU.

ArnaKyle -- Ah, a Jacen fan. Thanks for the kind words.

The Gatherer -- I'll look forward to your comments.

MJM -- No, Mr. Zahn isn't currently consulting regarding the NJO.

Now we'll see if the boards will post this or give me another error message --

Kathy

7. Darth Penguin

Darth Penguin Jedi Youngling star 1

May 3, 2000
    Kathy---

First of all, BP was wonderful, one of the best SW books ever in my opinion. (I hope you aren't sick of hearing that yet from us :) )

One of the things that you handled best that (I felt) hasn't really been done this well in the past is the Jacen/Jaina relationship. Having three sisters myself (no twins but they're all pretty close to me in age), the scenes with these two were even better because the banter, light-hearted name calling, and occasional arguing were exactly like real siblings would act around each other. Great job with everything else too, but that especially.

Oh yeah, my question... forgive me if this has been covered in this thread already- I might have missed it in a thread this large- but was the chase scene where the twins flew a hoverpod through the streets of the Duros city inspired by the similar scene in ROTJ where another set of twins jumped on the back of a speederbike for a chase with stormtroopers through the forest?

That chase scene in BP was one of the best scenes in the book for me, I might add- "Are you sure your vision is back?" "Tell me if I'm about to hit anything small!"

Thanks!

8. Darth420

Darth420 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 14, 2000
    Welcome back Kathy!

I have just finished my second read-through of BP, and I have to say that I think that this was easily the most enjoyable Star Wars reading experience I have ever had! I have NEVER read a SW book straight through twice before.

The reason Balance Point was such a unique experience is that unlike other authors who post here on occasion, you are one of us. You are here for the same reason as the rest of us- your love of Star Wars and the EU. I believe that you would post here whether you were a Star Wars author or not. Thats how I'll always remember Balance Point- as the book by one of us.

Anyway, I do have a few questions.

First, how did writing Balance Point with all of the years of EU history that you had to incorporate compare to writing Truce at Bakura which only needed to reference the movies?

And second question is how do you believe Mara looks back at Palpatine? With fondness toward a father figure, or as an insane maniac who she should have offed when she had the chance?

9. Shmi52

Nov 20, 1999
    Darth Penguin -- sick of THAT? You must be kidding -- ;)

I'm glad you liked the chase scene. I didn't deliberately copy that chase on Endor, but I have watched RotJ so many times that it's possible I imitated it unconsciously.

Darth420 -- Let me assure you there are other SERIOUS SW fans among NJO authors, even if they can't spend the time to post here. But I do enjoy hanging out with other SW fans. My current problem is that I need to get focused on my next book project (so I can definitely sympathize with those who don't hang out as much)!

Good call on the difference in research that was necessary this time around. It was intimidating. I'm thankful for good help and guidance -- a lot of it right here.

I suspect Mara's recollections of Palpatine are along the lines of your second guess!

Kathy

10. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    Hiya Kathy!

I finished BP over the weekend and I thought it was exceptionally well. As I mentioned earlier, I hadn't read any of the NJO books before reading BP, so I think this was a good beginning/start for me. You got my interest, so now I'm reading "Vector Prime" (I'm on pg. 100 now) and I'm going to finish it on up to HT and JE, and basically get caught up.

Ok--There were so many things I liked about this book. What was the best thing? Luke and Mara's relationship. It was such a joy to read. Luke and Mara were very content with one another, which was nice. I also enjoyed how they seemed to know what one another was thinking and feeling without actually saying it. They knew each others' facial expressions and moods, and gestures. Not by using the force, but just because they knew one another. It was simply nice to see, two people content and at peace with one another. And, Luke was so romantic!!! He knew when to hug her, when to draw her near and whisper in her ear rather than say it out loud. How romantic! Luke's passive devotion to Mara was also a pleasure to read; though Mara slipped back into her reticent and withdrawl stage of noncommunication at times, Luke respected this. I liked how Mara had the freedom to poke fun at Luke, by still calling him "Skywalker" rather than just "Luke", yet Luke passively going along with it.

Jacen's coming to terms with the force. This definetly had suspense. I was a bit irked by Jacen's attiude by the 3rd quarter of the book. His arrogance at how he shouldn't use the force, his pride in his own dogmatic image of his intregrity for not using it. So when he finally decided to become one with the force again it was a relief. I cheered at that moment and said out loud, "Well, it's about time!" I'm glad he didn't throw away his natural right and talents with the force. And glad he realized he wasn't Mr. Perfect either.

I enjoyed seeing Jaina in Rogue Squadron. Only sixteen, she is already a capable and strong young woman. I liked the friction between Jaina and Leia, and the confusion in how they thought about one another. That one scene where Mara casually snapped at Jaina for her attitude toward Leia was a nice little twist. Mara made it known that though Jaina thought herself mature enough to be a woman, she wasn't one yet (well, not one with ample life-experinece, anyway).

I don't know what happened between Han and Leia in the last NJO book (cuz I haven't read it yet), but I thought that how they came to terms with one another was also well done.

Randa's death. She wasn't a likeable character at the beginning of the book, in fact, I hated her. But I grew to like her. As I saw her repent, feel sorry for her careless actions and then saw what the Vong did to her, I realized just how saddened I was at the Hutt's death. Randa was just like any other Hutt; self-centered, ect. It didn't mean she was a bad-person/Hutt necessarily. Just an ordinarily Hutt trying to survive.

What shocked me? Leia shaved her hair!!! Nooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well, ok...I guess it'll only take her like, what, ten years to grow it out to the same length? Unless there is some sort of super-duper chemical shampoo that Leai can purchase at the intergalactic salon to make it grow faster.

Oh, and what exactly happened to Leia's legs? I reread that part several times. Where they smashed or cut? You lost me here, I lost myself here. I know a Vong creature was sucking on them, stopping the bleeding. I don't know.

One more question before I sign off, what exactly is a villip? Since I hadn't read any previous NJO books, I was hoping you could shed some light. It sounded like a living bio-communication device of some sort. Am I on the right track? Why do the Vong place it in their bodies, in circles? Why do villips morph into the forms of the other person on the other side of the reciever, or not?

Well, great job Kathy. I certainly enjoyed it. I hope you do another NJO book. TAB is still my favorite, but BP was a great start for me, as being one who is just entering the NJO st

11. WormieSaber

Oct 22, 2000
    Hiya Kathy!

I finished BP over the weekend and I thought it was exceptionally well. As I mentioned earlier, I hadn't read any of the NJO books before reading BP, so I think this was a good beginning/start for me. You got my interest, so now I'm reading "Vector Prime" (I'm on pg. 100 now) and I'm going to finish it on up to HT and JE, and basically get caught up.

Ok--There were so many things I liked about this book. What was the best thing? Luke and Mara's relationship. It was such a joy to read. Luke and Mara were very content with one another, which was nice. I also enjoyed how they seemed to know what one another was thinking and feeling without actually saying it. They knew each others' facial expressions and moods, and gestures. Not by using the force, but just because they knew one another. It was simply nice to see, two people content and at peace with one another. And, Luke was so romantic!!! He knew when to hug her, when to draw her near and whisper in her ear rather than say it out loud. How romantic! Luke's passive devotion to Mara was also a pleasure to read; though Mara slipped back into her reticent and withdrawl stage of noncommunication at times, Luke respected this. I liked how Mara had the freedom to poke fun at Luke, by still calling him "Skywalker" rather than just "Luke", yet Luke passively going along with it.

Jacen's coming to terms with the force. This definetly had suspense. I was a bit irked by Jacen's attiude by the 3rd quarter of the book. His arrogance at how he shouldn't use the force, his pride in his own dogmatic image of his intregrity for not using it. So when he finally decided to become one with the force again it was a relief. I cheered at that moment and said out loud, "Well, it's about time!" I'm glad he didn't throw away his natural right and talents with the force. And glad he realized he wasn't Mr. Perfect either.

I enjoyed seeing Jaina in Rogue Squadron. Only sixteen, she is already a capable and strong young woman. I liked the friction between Jaina and Leia, and the confusion in how they thought about one another. That one scene where Mara casually snapped at Jaina for her attitude toward Leia was a nice little twist. Mara made it known that though Jaina thought herself mature enough to be a woman, she wasn't one yet (well, not one with ample life-experinece, anyway).

I don't know what happened between Han and Leia in the last NJO book (cuz I haven't read it yet), but I thought that how they came to terms with one another was also well done.

Randa's death. She wasn't a likeable character at the beginning of the book, in fact, I hated her. But I grew to like her. As I saw her repent, feel sorry for her careless actions and then saw what the Vong did to her, I realized just how saddened I was at the Hutt's death. Randa was just like any other Hutt; self-centered, ect. It didn't mean she was a bad-person/Hutt necessarily. Just an ordinarily Hutt trying to survive.

What shocked me? Leia shaved her hair!!! Nooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well, ok...I guess it'll only take her like, what, ten years to grow it out to the same length? Unless there is some sort of super-duper chemical shampoo that Leai can purchase at the intergalactic salon to make it grow faster.

Oh, and what exactly happened to Leia's legs? I reread that part several times. Where they smashed or cut? You lost me here, I lost myself here. I know a Vong creature was sucking on them, stopping the bleeding. I don't know.

One more question before I sign off, what exactly is a villip? Since I hadn't read any previous NJO books, I was hoping you could shed some light. It sounded like a living bio-communication device of some sort. Am I on the right track? Why do the Vong place it in their bodies, in circles? Why do villips morph into the forms of the other person on the other side of the reciever, or not?

Well, great job Kathy. I certainly enjoyed it. I hope you do another NJO book. TAB is still my favorite, but BP was a great start for me, as being one who is just entering the NJO st

12. WormieSaber

Oct 22, 2000
    Ooopss, somehow it posted twice. Yikes!

13. Rokangus

Rokangus Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 18, 2000
    Hey, Kathy!

Just finished BP, and well...you know the rest! =) Definetly worth a second go-through!

Glad to see Jacen finally got his head back on right. I must say i was worried about him there for a second. Too bad he didn't get to kill ol' Tsavong. That would have been particularly satisfying. Oh, well.

BTW, is anyone (as in author) going to kill off that SOB Nom Anor? Dear God, the guy's like a bad penny. Will he ever go away. I don't care how he goes; Han can land the Falcon on him by accident for all I care. But for the love of cheese, can't some one kill him off, already?

Sorry, Kathy. I know you really can't do anything about that, especially if another author already plans to use him. I'm just venting.

Anyhow, I liked the ending. I imagine now that the senate is going to turn on the Jedi quicker than a Hutt can say "Bo shuda!" it'll be interesting to see how the Jedi handle that.

14. Shmi52

Nov 20, 1999
    WormieSaber -- I hope you enjoy the other NJO novels. I liked your suggestion concerning Leia's hair and the special salon treatment. As for her legs: I didn't show exactly what was done. The scene was shown from her viewpoint, and she couldn't see. Only feel. . . .

I think you'll understand villips after you read VP. Thanks -- I'm glad you enjoyed the book!

Rokangus -- You're right, I can't give away Nom Anor's intended fate. Sorry.

To anyone still reading! -- I had email from Sue at Lucasfilm today, and she confirmed that Mara is two years OLDER than Luke. That's the official word.

Kathy

15. JediSmuggler

JediSmuggler Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 5, 1999
    Well, I'd have expected them to be pretty close in age myself.

Hmmm... maybe I ought to take a shot at an NJO novel... :)

16. Lt_Ketch

Lt_Ketch Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 13, 2000
    I just wanted to say Great Book! Too bad we have to wait so long for the next one.

BTW, what is your next project? Or is that a secret?

17. Jades Fire

Jades Fire Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 1998
    "To anyone still reading! -- I had email from Sue at Lucasfilm today, and she confirmed that Mara is two years OLDER than Luke. That's the official word. "

Mmm. Luke and an older woman.
    I rather liked when they were the same age. I've thought that for so long that I don't think that will change in my mind.

Couldn't have the number of posts at 666 for too long either.

18. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    For some reason that I don't know, I always imagined her as a year or two YOUNGER than Luke.

19. Jeremyguy

Jeremyguy Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 1998
    Not BP (or even SW) related:

Hey, Kathy. I hope you & your son enjoyed his first collegiate choral concert. I just sang in my first choir concert on Saturday and it was a blast. Now if I could convince my director to let us do "Duel of the Fates" from TPM.... (okay, that's SW related). :-D

20. Keira

Keira Jedi Master

Nov 7, 2000
    I'm glad Mara's two years older than Luke.
    It just seems right. Luke's always been mature beyond his years but yet his innocent hopefulness about life seems to make it appropriate that his perfect match is someone a little older, less of a dreamer, more of a doer, a little more 'jaded' about what life has to offer.
    OK, stop right there, did my father just possess my body and make me right that unbelievably corny line.
    Out, oh evil spirit, be gone!

21. Harimad-sol

Harimad-sol Jedi Youngling

Nov 2, 2000
    Hi Kathy,
    I've just been home for a weekend (college is four hours from home for me) and seeing my family for the first time in six weeks has inspired some comments about BP.

I also left the book for my sister to read. I normally don't give her the adult novels because she's only twelve and while she's very mature for her age in good ways, there are things I read at that age that weren't really appropriate. I use my experience to recommend stuff to her now. Star Wars novels are a lot better than most scifi/fantasy in that respects but I let her to stick with the juvenile lines because she usually doesn't want to read the big novels. This time though, she demanded to read about the Skycrawler and the Solo kids. Anyway, the point is that I felt no problem with letting her read Balance Point. No references to L/M or L/H made me uncomfortable and no gratuitous violence. Big points in your favor. :)

From her, Jacen drove her crazy through most of it, Jaina rocks, and she likes the way you wrote all the other characters. Oops, she just told me she's just finished the book. And her final comment is "Jacen, aaaargh." Oh and "she's an awesome author."
    And then she went on to complain about Harry Potter being on the front page of Reader's Digest. Don't ask me, I'm just her big sister. <grin>

From me, from the perspective of just having been home. I love the family relationships. Especially Jaina and Han, and Jaina and Leia. I could really see Han hugging Jaina when she got off the shuttle, rocking back and forth. Nice dad bear-hug. And I can sympathize with J's problems with Leia, it's a sixteen year old thing. And Mara's comment about that is just like something my aunt would say when I get on my mother's case. You even hit the J and J relationship right on the money. My brother is younger than me, but very accomplished and now, size-wise anyway, my big brother. All the ambiguities of that kind of relationship, the love and the balancing act as siblings move from children to adults....perfect. And the observation about everything being better when your parents love each other stuck in my mind for days.

This was basically just a "Huzzah, you're great!" post, but more praise never hurt! :)

Harimad

22. Marie_Jadewalker

Marie_Jadewalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2000
    I finished BP early this morning and absolutely loved it. Many thanks to all responsible, but especially Kathy Tyres. I feel that this book "fixed" several things that were bugging me about NJO like Jacen's self-righteous attitude and Leia and Han's marital problems. I know they were intended for the story arc, but I'm just as glad to have them resolved. I am also VERY excited about Luke and Mara's baby. (I've seen him nicknamed Skycrawler by many fans)
    Thank you also for the information abaout Mara's age. I'm sure you're not at liberty to say, but does anyone know if they are planning to reveal secrets from her past? I know it's exciting for everyone to have his/her own theory, but it would also be nice to know. :) Sorry for the length.
    THANK YOU for a wonderful book!

23. Marie_Jadewalker

Marie_Jadewalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2000
    Yes, I'm posting again. Sorry.
    I also loved the family relationships in this book. The sibling rivalries, their interactions with their parents, and especially the scene between Mara and Jaina. It can be hard to remember that the Solo kids are still Kids, but Ms. Tyres did a wonderful job of portraying them realistically. I also wanted to say I appreciate very much the values you support in your book and on this thread. I agree that the Jedi would be very big on the sanctity of life and I appreciate you asking people to avoid profanity.
    That's it for now, just another GREAT JOB!

24. Artemis

Artemis Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 20, 2000
    There's something I forgot to say on my first post or three regarding the early chapters with Luke and Mara. Kathy, I don't know why nobody's mentioned something like this before, but I'm so glad it was you -- I was absolutely enchanted by Mara's attention to how Luke seems to love water in fountains and springs and anyplace that would be unthinkable in the desert home he left, wow, a quarter of a century ago. It's just a detail, really kind of silly to expound upon given how wonderful the entirety of the book is, but it's this kind of facet of a character that I love reading about. We know Luke well, and Mara too, and we could project details like these ourselves, but it's still magic to me to see in print something as small and lovely as the fact that Luke is fascinated by running water and that Mara quietly observes this about him. So, thank you for that!

(P.S. I always wish my parents could come for my choir concerts, and I know that's something my mom really misses about having me so far away at school! I'm glad you enjoyed your son's!)

25. caliman

caliman Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 26, 2000
    Mrs. Tyers, let me first start out by complimenting you on a fine piece of fiction. It's really quite more then that, but it is late and I'm at a loss for words. I had been looking forward to this book very much after reading the cryptic preview blurb from Del Rey. And I wasn't dissapointed. It's the first book I've read in one day since I read a Hardy Boys book about 12 years ago. I liked the "spiritual battleground". I was very satisfied with the female perspective of Mara, Jaina, and Leia's stories. While i loved the other authors' abilities to capture the characters, I think it is you that has returned these women back into major players in the Star Wars universe. Jacen's trial was very intriguing and well written. The finale with the whirlwind of force was terrific and the cliffhanger really got my blood pumping. It's too bad that there will be no more NJO books for a long while, but I guess I'm happy that LFL and DR are taking an active role in quality control and making sure the story is told right. While I know you must be tiring from the barage of your fans questions, I'd like to ask a couple myself. I apologize if these have been asked before. I've tried to read all the posts, but my brain hemorrhaged:

1. Is Han's use of the word "Junior" for Jacen a referance to Indiana Jones? If it is. I loved it. If it isn't, I laughed for the wrong reason, I guess.

My other questions don't pertain to Star Wars completely but I'm an aspiring writer (well I do it for fun, not nessacerily to get published) and I'm writing a star wars novel. I was excited reading that you had written a fan fiction then changed the characters and some of the details to your own and then found your story published. I would love to do that, but I had a couple of technical questions I'm wondering if you could answer. They're kind of stupid and I know it's the material that matters, but I'm just wondering:

1. What font, and size and spacing do you use when you're writing?
    2. What's your secret to making yourself writing exposition and detail? I find it frustrating to have to explain things to the reader that I already know.I just want to get on with the story. Do you get frustrated?

That's it. Thanks for a great book, and I agree with a previous poster. Should Luke ever have to meet his demise, if you were up too it, I think you're the one who knows Luke like no other. Here's hoping you do another SW book soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.