main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discuss BP with Kathy -- Spoilers Welcome

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Shmi52, Oct 31, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chewbacca of Kashyyyk

Chewbacca of Kashyyyk Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 17, 1999
    Chewbacca of Kashyyyk just picked up his copy.

CoK looks forward to joining this thread when he finishes the book.

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Hi Kathy,

Couple of Q's:

Is the Tinian mentioned as a Jedi the same character as in the short stories you've done? One of those little details that people wonder over.

Can you say anything about the setting of Keyes duology in terms of time, without giving away any plot info does it pick up after BP? A yes or no should evade the implant restrictions, unless you've been fitted with an upgraded model. :)

Regards

p.s. no spoilers from me I've been doing the spoilers info for two days and I'm feeling whacked :)

3. Shmi52

Shmi52 Author of New Jedi Order: Balance Point star 3 VIP

Nov 20, 1999
    Jedi Ben --

Yep, that's Tinian I'att of Druckenwell, now married to Daye and the mother of his son Tam. I never did write that reunion, did I? Some day. . . .

Can I say anything about the Keyes duology? In two words: sorry, no.

Good try, though! ;)

Kathy

4. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Kathy,

I haven't picked up BP yet -- I'm getting it this afternoon. But I was wondering, if you had to pick one song or CD (besides an existing SW soundtrack) that would best accompany Balance Point, what would it be?

Also, this isn't really BP related, but are you thinking of writing any short fiction for Star Wars Gamer magazine?

Thanks,
    Mastadge

5. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Hey, 50% success rate on two Q's ain't bad, besides you did answer the second Q, from a certain point of view:

You have got the upgraded version of the implant! :)

Thanks for the Tinian info though.

Best wishes,

p.s. too bad I can't be around tonight for when the fun starts, accursed be time zones!

6. Shmi52

Nov 20, 1999
    Mastadge --

Good heavens, what an excellent question! And I don't have a clue -- let me take a rain check and get back to you. Something film-score or classical, very dark & dramatic, I think. With dissonant moments but glimmers of triumph. You've really got me thinking! "Night on Bald Mountain"? Nah. Maybe a Mahler symphony? Ooo I know I know . . . how about "The Pines of the Appian Way" from Respighi's "The Pines of Rome"?

I'll keep thinking about that. Different tunes for different chapters, certainly.

Right now, it's my turn to head for the bookstore and see it for myself!

Kathy

PS Oops Mastadge, I missed your second question! No plans to do short fiction at the moment, but that's always subject to change.

7. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    Kathy,

I just picked up BP and all I have to say is...

WOW. This is simply now my favorite book. I'll admit that I haven't gotten all the way through it yet. I've just read all of the Luke and Mara stuff <big grin>. Seriously, that is the best I've ever seen them. And they're *happy* and they're *together* and it's just a really nice thing to see. And...nice job on the innuendo. Or am I reading a little too much into this? ;-)

Now, for my question(s?): Who made the decision on the sex of the baby? Was it your idea specifically or was it a collective decision on the part of DelRay and the folks at LFL?

That's all I can think of for now. If and when I get through the whole thing (I hate college life), I'll be back. But for now...THANK YOU! for writing such a wonderful book.

MTFBWY,
    ~taramidala~ (aka "T")

8. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Thank goodness it's not Moussorgsky! That's not very good reading music!

9. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    I'm home sick from school :( so I'm here checking out the discussion. I know a few spoilers, and I've read the excerts... and I'm here reading this thrwad. :D

Call me weakminded, but I'm just too excited to wait any further (another 5 hours until I can hold BP in my hands!). So, I think I should just thank you, Kathy, and everyone else that desirves it! Thank you, so very much. I can't wait for BP! I'm bouncing in my seat right now dispite my injured feet!

Come on Tuesday! . . .err, you know what I mean! :p

10. Shmi52

Nov 20, 1999
    T, you caught me before I could get away to the bookstore!

Regarding the baby's gender: my decision, but subject (as is everything) to DR and LFL's approval. I was thrilled when they didn't ask me to change it!

Kathy

11. Shmi52

Nov 20, 1999
    Feel better quickly, Wedge88!

12. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Not really related to BP, but are you planning on writing any short fiction for SW Gamer magazine?

13. Scott

Scott TFN Founder star 2 VIP

Jun 25, 2000
    Kathy;

Thanks for the compliment on the book review! I really did enjoy the book and I thought you did a fabulous job. I was going to hit you up for an interview, but this forum thread is much more fun. It's good that you're letting everybody ask their favorite questions.

I'm glad you pushed them to introduce Luke 2.0. :) That's something I've wanted to happen since the earliest books. It would have been a shame to see the Skywalker name die with Luke. I'm curious as to when the Higher Authorities were originally planning to have this happen. It is sadly ironic that R.A. Salvatore is slammed as "the guy that killed Chewbacca", but you'll be praised as the one who introduced Luke 2.0. You're both equally good authors, but those were things that Lucasfilm had the ultimate say about. I pity any author that has to kill any other characters off. Anyway, I'm glad you convinced them that sooner was better than later.

Did you intend to have Mara's pregnancy be viewed with a kind of "pro-life" view? Whether you did or not, I applaud it. It fit in perfectly with Mara's character. As a Jedi, she's so attuned to every cell in her body, she knows exactly when a new life begins to form. I like how she immediately called the baby a "he" rather than an "it" and she identified equal parts of Luke and her own life force in it. I can't recall any other Star Wars author giving such an intimate insight about anything.

Anyway, I'd better get back to work. Thanks for spending time in the trenches with the fans! :)

Scott

14. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    Wow, Kathy, that was fast! :) Thanks for your answer. Now for my next question, LOL. Why did you decide to have their child be a boy?

15. Charlemagne

Charlemagne Jedi Padawan star 4

May 15, 1999
    I love Mara really I do and I love Mara as a mother....the oddity of this statement might be lost on you miss but I must state I am grateful for you able to convince me she is both a lovable character and a great mom to be.

As for some questions...

1:) Was it REALLLY anakin, come on, share share.

2:) Which do you prefer as your work in Star Wars...Tinian, TAB, or BP?

3:) Do you as an author think Leia is going to become a full fledged Jedi...her wounds may mean alot either direction.

Forgive the directness of the questions but I loved the book.

16. ThePhantomMaster

ThePhantomMaster Jedi Youngling

Oct 27, 1999
    Yes, do please tell us, given that the gender of the baby was your decision, why did you make it a boy? And why did Luke seem to want it to be a girl?

Thanks for answering our questions, Kathy--you're awesome. :)

TPM

17. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    Oh, wow - I just finished BP, and it was awesome!!!

18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Another pair of questions, this time a light/serious pairing:

The heavy, serious one: Were you influenced by recent historical events in writing of the fall of Duro? Because as I read BP I had in mind tragedies like Bosnia and Rwanda, a particular example being the fall of the Bosnian town of Srebenica where those with the power to prevent it failed to act. I found this recurring in my mind as the NR Advisory Council dooms the refugees, preferring selfish interests over moral principle.

Now the light: Did you have the movie scrolling text in mind when writing the summary? As last night I read it and in my head I could see it as that writing: Episode VII: Balance Point, They struck without warning... Playing the music mentally made for a fun, brief read.

Best wishes

19. depechemaul

depechemaul Jedi Youngling

Oct 31, 2000
    I've tried several bookstores in Southern California and all state that the book will not be in store until Nov. 3. Anyone else have this problem?

20. Bubba

Bubba Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 10, 2000
    As an aspiring author, I know what's quality. Bravo, Mrs. Tyers!

21. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    Ok, now that I'm not as hyper from having just finished such a great book, I can talk calmly. :)
    I'm glad you finally resolved the question of what happened with Lando and Tendra. I've been wondering what happened to her. And you actually managed to redeem Jacen for me, a character that had been utterly getting on my nerves. Thank you so much for making Mara pregnant (I'm one of those fans that wanted this for a long time) and I also really liked your characterization of Jaina.

22. Gorkos

Gorkos Jedi Master star 1

Oct 31, 2000
    Hi Kathy;

I don't have the book yet, simply because I'm German and our local amazon don't get it until a week or so ;-(.
    But I have a few questions, nonethleless:
    1.) What will happen to Kyp Durron? Will he grow to the great Jedi he could be, oder stay at his current status of immaturity?
    2.) How was it to write again in the StarWars Universe? Better or not than writing TaB?
    3.) Did DelRey really cancel the Trilogy by Michael Jan Friedman?
    4.) What told DelRey you to do, and what were your own decisions?
    5.) I know, you won't answer this question (but it's worth a try): The Yuuzhan Vong don't have much more to conquer, 'cause the galaxy has an end - I just can't imagine that all the other 19 novels will also deal with the YV-Invasion... and the series' name is 'New Jedi Order', not 'Yuuzhan Vong Invasion Series'...

I think, Balance Point could get the best NJO novel ever, and I only read the excerpt...

Gorkos *lookingathisclock-itiss2245*

P.S.: Thanks for answering all these questions, thanks in advance if you answer mine, and thanks for this great book (although I didn't read it yet) (and sorry, if I translated anything wrong or if I ask questions which have been already made - but I didn't read the msgs except yours, to avoid Spoilers)

23. junio

junio Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    Hello Kathy. Is my life horrible or what? Balance Point won't arrive libraries in Puerto Rico until 3 weeks!!! That's horrible! So I decided to talk with my grandfather and ask him if he could let me buy the book through Amazon.com with his credit card, well, you know what? He doesn't have his credit card anymore! He finished the payments and closed the account. I don't know what to do!!! I feel bad, I really want to read this book. And I want it now. Well, I know that a solution will come soon... I hope so.

And talking about seasons, here in Puerto Rico is always summer. Or that's what anyone who's not from here would say. But we notice when the weather changes. For instance, right now is more rainy, and during the night the temperature is less high. And in December temperatures go down even more. But obviously not as much as in USA. Duh! We are a Caribbean country. Well, I love Puerto Rico and it's weather! But I really want to see snow. I've been in France, Germany and Florida, USA, and never seen snow.

Well, see you later. Wish me luck in getting your book. I really want it!

24. Yarua Of Kashyyyk

Yarua Of Kashyyyk Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2000
    Hello Kathy! Hello everyone!

As you all know, me and my fellow Australians probably won't get Balance Point for at least another week or so... :( However, I'm a spoiler-junkie: I was one of those people who read the last pages of an Agatha Christie first (to find out whodunit) and then went back and read the book.

So have no fear: when BP comes out, I'll read it FOR SURE. Even if I know what happens anyway... :)

At this stage, I've only read the online except at starwars.com and the excerpt in Jedi Eclipse. But, at this stage, I've got at least one question.

Kathy, did you choose for Kalarba and Hosk to be destroyed at BP's opening? (I'm asking because I have a soft spot for Kalarba and Hosk since reading the Droids comics...ahh, memories...does anyone else remember the Pitareezes?)

Sorry for the long post, and thanks (in advance) to Kathy.

25. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    I already knew about the big spoiler, and I got a copy at a B.Dalton (to hold me over until my copy I ordered online gets here). Anyway, from looking at the book, I did not see Malinza yet, only a mention; is she actually in the book?

I'll wait to find out, but I'm curious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.