main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discuss BP with Kathy -- Spoilers Welcome

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Shmi52, Oct 31, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skywalker2B

Skywalker2B Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 8, 2000
    Hello again Kathy! Isn't it wonderful to see so many Christians here? I just read Andur's last post and would think that your secular books (i.e. SW) would be like some of the Christian music now a days (like Christian rap or rock or alternative). As I've heard how Petra (I think that was the band) said at a concert that their music was not ment for believers, but non-beleivers that listen to hard rock music (some call it metal now). They say that they are trying to win the lost through their music. I personally like contemp. Christian myself. But, anyway that's how I see your secular books. Give them enough to ask questions. Keep up the good work.

Oh, I finally got CROWN OF FIRE 2 weeks ago. However, I went ahead and started reading ELI by Bill Myers before I start your books. I must say that ELI is a very good book. It's like the gospel happening right now instead of 2000 years ago. Myers really shows the love of Christ for man personal! Several times I've found my eyes watering from the emotional impact of seeing His love for me displayed on the pages. I can imagine (sort of "feel") myself falling into His comforting arms when one of the characters in the book does. I would highly suggest this book to anyone.

I am looking forward to your answer as to how much about the future of NJO you know. Here's a question: Do you know if there are any plans for post-NJO?

Skywalker2B

2. Shmi52

Shmi52 Author of New Jedi Order: Balance Point star 3 VIP

Nov 20, 1999
    Uwanna Buyer -- Thank you. IIRC is "if I remember correctly."

_Andur_ -- Humility? I wish!

darth_paul -- At first I was surprised to find the SR's home world moved so much closer, but it changed no important plot points. I'm fine with it. There was a touch of deja vu, naturally.

Kadue -- Thank you for reading the thread! I'm a little befuddled that it has gone on so long, but I appreciate the general friendliness.

Some of my favorite novels: LOTR, hands down. More recent releases include FATHER ELIJAH by Michael D. O'Brien and just about anything by Francine Rivers.

Jedi Trilobite -- Thanks and congrats! I've got advice for beginning writers on my website, http://www.kathytyers.com -- IIRC, it's under the "interview" section. [edit: go to the FAQ page and click on the "basic interview" link]

RingoJuna -- I hope to keep growing a writer for as long as I'm in the business, so I'll take that as a compliment. Thank you. NJO: I knew what the "big events" were planned to be, two years ago when I was brought in. I do NOT know how we'll get there, and I do not know whether the story arc has drifted. I haven't been invited to write any more of it. I was honored to be asked to write one hardcover.

Sache8 -- No, I haven't seen the trailer yet! My computer's too slow, too. Drat --

I found a link (at Imladris, I believe) to a site with all the photos for New Line's LOTR calendar. Galadriel blew me away. I find that encouraging, since the Blanchett interview I read showed her as very unfamiliar with Tolkien.

As a storyteller, I wouldn't miss Tom Bombadil (as a fan, I would!). That episode is a stunning bit of mythmaking, but Frodo's quest isn't changed or impacted by his stay there. In a LONG book, there's time for details like "In the House of Tom Bombadil." Not in an already lengthy film. So I guess we agree.

No screen name at Imladris. If I started posting there too, I'd have even less time to write the next book. Besides, the people who post there have the books memorized MUCH better than I do . . . :)

_Andur_ -- I don't write allegory or evangelical tracts. I write stories. Call them parables if you'd like. A parable can illustrate a spiritual point without stretching every detail to "mean something." Stories can show spiritual truths operating in lives that resonate with reality. The Firebird books, if I've done my job, are equally accessible to people of many faiths (or lack of faith) precisely because they aren't allegory or tract-writing. Some readers may not be comfortable with cultural details, particularly my attempt to show a pre-messianic but plainly Judaic culture, but I hope they can still like the characters and enjoy coming alongside them in their adventures.

Don't tell me you can't find Christian themes in Star Wars. There are elements of many faiths. Mr. Lucas tried to draw an enormous, inclusive circle when he created "the Force."

I started writing a Peretti-style novel several years ago. I may finish it some day.

Skywalker 2B -- Great parallel with music. With my son's help, I've recently discovered Earthsuit and The Echoing Green (yes, I'm a little late, but I like the music -- and the lyrics. My current favorite is "Supernova" by TEG).

"Give them enough to ask questions." Yes. ;)

I've heard good things about ELI. I need to get a copy.

I have no idea if there are SW books planned post-NJO. That's up to the publishers!

Kathy

3. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Thank You! I loved the part where Anakin and Mara took out that Vong on Coruscant. That was great! I also like the part where Jacen goes back to the force.

4. Shmi52

Nov 20, 1999
    You're welcome, JT. Minor correction: to reach "advice to beginning writers" at my website, go first to the FAQ page and then click on the "basic interview" link.

I hope it's useful.

Kathy

5. Bubba

Bubba Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 10, 2000
    Mrs. Tyers, are you a fan of the Harry Potter books? ;)

6. eeyore

eeyore Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    Hello, Ms. Tyers. I can't believe how lucky the fans are to actually be able to communicate with an author of the books. Thank you for being so generous!

I haven't had the time to read the entire thread, so I'm sorry if my questions have already been asked.

Here's my questions:
    1. What do you expect to happen to Leia after BP? Will she go through any character changes after coming so close to death? My hope is that she'll give up politics and spend time with her family.

2. Why did you choose to have Leia try to work things out with Han, and why was Han so unwilling to work it out? Does he not love his wife as much as she loves him?

3. Why didn't Han have much of a reaction to seeing Leia so badly injured? Do you think he went down to visit her after the Falcon went into hyperspace, or did he stay in the cockpit and let Jacen go?

7. MAD6121

MAD6121 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 18, 2000
    Hi Ms. Tyers, I just finished Balance Point and I really enjoyed it. It is a great book, thank you. Keep up the great work.

8. MaraJadee

MaraJadee Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 13, 2000
    I have read Balance Point and I love it sooo much(especially the hidden picture on the cover)!! Your work is wonderful! Its also very inspiring because I'm working on a novel myself. I'm not sure if someone has already asked this question or not(probably has) but here goes anyway: Do you have any idea what Mara and Luke are going to name their child? I'm curious...

9. Hunter Of Winds

Hunter Of Winds Jedi Youngling star 5

Dec 5, 1999
    Kathy: Thanks for doing an interview for JediTalk. You sounded great on the program. I listened to it live, with my husband. We loved hearing you talk about your FIREBIRD series. ;-)

The show is archived here for anyone who is interested: http://www.jeditalk.com/archives/89.html

10. Ooryl Qyrgg

Ooryl Qyrgg Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 25, 2000
    I got it today, so I'll be getting back to you about it.

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Ooryl Qyrgg

Feb 25, 2000
    Kathy, I wanted to read all your responses to each question just in case it had already been answered, but I got 10 pages in and realised I could never do it.

So here goes:

I just finished the book and have thought about it. I couldnt put it down and did like it, but it felt as though there was something missing. I think this other plot lines. Basically you have Mara, Jacen and Leia pov's, but they are all in the same system. Its fairly tightly focussed on Duro. There is nothing happeneing elsewhere, no other developments. It just felt as though perhaps more could have been made of some other characters, as i believe the NJO should be about bringing in the new and putting out the old. Hence Leia and Han are not as important to the story as say Kyp Durron or other Jedi.
    It is the New Jedi Order, so I thought that more Jedi could have been used. I applaud the use of Kenth Hamner and the like, Jedi I hadnt heard of, but there could of been more going on with the Jedi.

Please correct me, or tell me what I'm mistaken about. I know that Dark Tide had a big focus on the Jedi, but that was mainly Luke and the Solo's. I like Luke now, as he has matured and deepen in faith, but others should be pushed into the limelight.

Sorry if it sounds I'm jumping down your throat, but remember I did like the book.

12. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    I hope you're still reading this Kathy, I just finished BP and all I can say is "OH MY GOD, WHAT A STORY!" I liked the Skycrawler development, how you've brought out Mara's vulnerable side (even though she'd never admit it) and maternal instincts; both the baby and Jaina. The scary part is how much Mara is sounding like my girlfriend; but at the same time I'm appreciate it somewhat.
    Great job with the Solo family reconciliation, we've been waiting for this for a while. I heard in one of these discussions that something happens to Leia's legs; but reading this I still was fearing for her like she's a close friend of mine or something. You made what was going on seem real, nice work.
    I could talk your ear off for a while, but I doubt you're still listening. In short, great job...hope you keep writing New Jedi Order books.

13. marajadeskywalker50

marajadeskywalker50 Jedi Youngling

Dec 16, 2000
    Kathy,

I think it's wonderful that you are talking to the fans. I've been following this thread with interest. Kudos.
    I have a couple of questions.
    1. If you had had more time, would your book Balance point been longer? And would you have changed anything major?
    2. In Jacen's vision (my favorite part by the way), the voice is deep and male. If the vision had been Leia's or Mara's, would the voice have still been male?
    3. When Jacen started using the Force again, he used whatever he had available to fight the Vong-- tables, lamps, etc. Is there any reason why the Jedi haven't been using the rocks and other non-lightsaber tools to kill the Vong? It seems that they are fighting one-on-one and getting killed doing it while they could fight from afar and have far fewer deaths. Any comments?

I think that you have really written a wonderful romance (about time) and were able to write Luke and Mara as they should be written. I thoroughly enjoyed it (although I wished it were a lot longer...). I can only hope that they ask you to write another one...

Mara

14. Shmi52

Nov 20, 1999
    To all -- I'm sorry I've been absent for a while. I've been working steadily on a new project -- not writing but prewriting, which includes character design, worldbuilding, and expanding the outline. One of my friends calls this part of the process "composting," and I like his description: add ingredients, let them cook for a while, add a few more, stir the pile . . .

Bubba -- No, I haven't read them.

eeyore --
    1) I honestly don't know what will happen to Leia after BP. I'm watching anxiously too.
    2) Han wasn't at all unwilling to work things out with Leia. Leia was one of my major viewpoint characters, and Han wasn't, so I simply couldn't show as much of his thought processes. (I thought I was being very sneaky to get away with using him as a POV character in a few short scenes). I was specifically asked to stick with those 3 viewpoints as tightly as possible. Also, I was asked NOT to complete their reconciliation, but leave it for the next book. Believe me, I am an incurable romantic, and that scene would've been great fun to write.
    3) Ending a scene with Han seeing Leia's injuries was meant to be a powerful statement of the emotional depth of his reaction (scene-end is strong positioning; think about its impact. It's the last thing you see from that viewpoint). After that, he was busy saving all their lives (and I returned to my assigned viewpoint characters). Of course he went down to be with her after they hit hyperspace! Hey . . . it's him!

The style of writing that I use is called "limited third-person point of view" (POV to the initiated). One of its strengths is that it gives a deeper penetration and stronger reader association with the viewpoint characters who are featured. One of its weaknesses is that "other" characters aren't featured as prominently. In a series with a large, well-established and well-loved cast of characters, it is VERY hard to decide who to feature. Some of that choice was made for me . . . since this was to be Jacen's book, he had to be the POV character for "Han's group."

Trust me: I love writing Han. I was as excited as any of you would be when I spotted Harrison Ford at the airport cafe in West Yellowstone, Montana! No, I didn't ask for his autograph on a placemat . . . but I thought about it! :)

MAD6121 -- Thank you!

Mara Jadee -- Thank you, too. Nope, I'm not in the Skycrawler naming loop. :(

Hunter - Thanks, and thanks for posting the url.

Ooryl Qyrgg -- Thanks for the thoughtful review. Again, keeping everyone together was part of my assignment. It's frustrating to wait months to find out what's happening in other parts of the galaxy, but believe me -- it takes months to write a book that you'd care to read! (And only one day to read it, sometimes -- unfair --) Seriously, that's why people who discover a good series late in its shelf life are lucky in a way: they can read it all in one swell foop. OTOH, those who can follow it as it unfolds, anticipate the next volume together, and talk about it are also very lucky. (It wasn't that long ago that there was no internet, no bulletin boards, no egroups) And if no one discovers a good series early in its shelf life, the early books won't sell well enough for stores to keep them on their bookshelves, or for publishers to keep bringing out new volumes. This is a very tricky marketplace. At least at its heart it's driven by a love of good art and exciting characters.

Krash -- Thank you -- and give my best to your girlfriend. ;)

marajadeskywalker50 --
    1) Sure, it'd be longer if I'd had more time. Change anything major? I really haven't thought about it.
    2) Wow, excellent Q! Yes, I think it would -- but that's another good thing about limited third-person POV. You don't have to know everything about everyone in order to write the book. Those of us who are a little less godlike (and so can't write mind-of-god POV) have a fair shake at becoming authors . . .
    3) Also intriguing.

Thanks a kajillion.

Kathy

15. Austin_Solo

Austin_Solo Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 8, 2000
    "To all -- I'm sorry I've been absent for a while. I've been working steadily on a new project -- not writing but prewriting, which includes character design, worldbuilding, and expanding the outline. One of my friends calls this part of the process "composting," and I like his description: add ingredients, let them cook for a while, add a few more, stir the pile . . . "

Exactly what I'm doing with my novel.

16. eeyore

eeyore Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    Ms. Tyers

I know that you were asked to leave the reconciliation incomplete, however I was quite unsatisfied with the way it began. I did not think it should have stemmed out of coinscidentally bumping into each other and the kids setting it up, and I did NOT think Leia should have apologized first. I think, after treating his wife so callously, Han should have been the one to go to her and ask for forgiveness. I felt the reunion went like "Sorry. Yeah, me too. Wanna get back together? OK." I think between such two dynamic, fiery individuals their reunion should have been much more passionate and explosive after ten months apart. I suppose the biggest complaint I have heard people say is that there was no "I love you", and the comment about Han's breath ruined the moment. I was also frustrated that they were not even given an hour or two alone for some private time together after their reunion. Especially in light of Leia's injuries, Han and her will probably not be spending too much time alone now. I know that a ten month relationship problem cannot be solved in a couple of minutes.

I know that the scene had to be told from either Jacen or Leia's point of view, but Luke's love for his wife was quite evident through Mara's eyes. After the AOC series which was told mainly from Han's point of view, it appeared Han could care less if Leia lived or died, while his wife was heartbroken. I would have liked some reassurance of his love for his wife in Balance Point. If Han and Leia's romance took a backstage to Luke and Mara (which it definitely has) in any book, it should not have been the one where they were just reuinted after a long, painful separation I felt. I do wish that you had been able to write their full reconciliation, as female authors tend to be much better at romance than male authors, but I look forward to reading the complete one in the next book.

I'm sorry if I offended you with the above comments (I expect you can take critism, being an author, but I apologize if I went overboard) , I do think you are one of the best SW authors of the series, and had great characterizations, but I just wish Han and Leia were not given such a dim light in this book.

17. Ooryl Qyrgg

Feb 25, 2000
    Okay then Kathy, thats fair enough. You are saying the assignment handed to you was that it had to be based ONLY on the same ol' characters. This is unfair on you then, as to write a complete book I would have thought other things had to be happening. Whats your opinion on this?

And do you think the New Jedi Order is an 'out with the old, in with the new' series?

18. MJ.Frodo

MJ.Frodo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 1, 2000
    Hi Kathy! :) I know this is off topic,but we are so curious about that picture you've spoken on JediTalk! Please could you tell us if you've meant that picture Tara once had posted in the Lit.Forum??

"I have on my bulletin board I keep near my computer for inspiration -- I have a picture that someone had posted of Luke and Mara.

Luke in his Return of the Jedi costume and a slightly altered Shannon Baksa picture, side-by-side.

And, at first I thought, that?s not the way I see her, and then with time, like any other thing ? it?s definitely grown -- and I can see them together."

Here's the picture! Wondering if that could be the one!! :)

http://www.geocities.com/taramidala/lukeandmara.jpg

19. Darion_Blade

Darion_Blade Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 25, 2001
    hey kathy,
    Darion from Jeditalk, here thought I would drop you a public thank you. Just a note to all the fans the thing that makes the expanded universe so great is authors like kathy who are willing to give up an hour on a sunday night to talk on a internet talk show. Thanks agian kathy, and once agian you are welcome on anytime on jeditalk.
    You can even call in with a fake name if you just want to be a fan!
    Darion

20. Austin_Solo

Nov 8, 2000
    Kathy, a question...do we annoy you by asking all these questions? :)

21. Shmi52

Nov 20, 1999
    Austin_Solo -- Then you understand how time-consuming this phase of writing can be, and how little there seems to be to show for it! I spent hours and hours on my project today, and I've still got only 3 pages of marginally coherent outline. Argh.

eeyore -- I'm really not sure how to write back, out of respect for your viewpoint (and fear of being misquoted). Let me say that I appreciate your deep love for the characters, and that your description of the scene could have been a viable alternative.

Ooryl Qyrgg -- As a parallel, there's a ton of important stuff going on in this world every day that doesn't make the papers or the evening news. Here's another -- I used to pore over the paper and news magazines, looking for reports about my favorite musicians, only to be frustrated about 99% of the time . . . and these guys were VERY famous.

M.J. Frodo -- Great photo, but that's not the one! Sorry -- it's the one that uses Mark Hamill's image as he looked during the filming of RotJ. I hope I didn't sound too incoherent during the interview.

Darion -- You're welcome. It was fun.

Austin_Solo -- Nah.

Kathy

22. Austin_Solo

Nov 8, 2000
    "Austin_Solo -- Then you understand how time-consuming this phase of writing can be, and how little there seems to be to show for it! I spent hours and hours on my project today, and I've still got only 3 pages of marginally coherent outline. Argh. "

Most definitely! Except my problem is getting down in front of the computer and forcing myself to WRITE. *mutters*

23. StonedRose

StonedRose Jedi Master star 2

Jan 20, 2001
    Hi. This is just another generic and boring post about how I liked your book. But I really did. It was great. Definitely one of the better SW novels out there. You have probably answered this question a thousand times over all ready, but this thread is so long that, well, you understand....will you be writinng any more SW books in the future? And would you if you could?

Thanks,
    Stoned Rose

---hey Austin, I find that I can only write when it's like past 11 at night. Don't know why. I was like that in college with papers too, so of course I never slept. But I guess that's why they invented coffee. :)

24. Austin_Solo

Nov 8, 2000
    "---hey Austin, I find that I can only write when it's like past 11 at night. Don't know why. I was like that in college with papers too, so of course I never slept. But I guess that's why they invented coffee. :) "

Hehe, I do my best in the mornings.

25. MJ.Frodo

MJ.Frodo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 1, 2000
    Ah well it's a pity,hope I can find that picture you meant somehow.
    And no I don't think that you sound incoherent in your interview at JediTalk.Hunter was able to write an trancript of that interview.There are alot of interesting points you mentioned.Thanks so much for your interview and for BP of course!! :)

CURE MARA!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.