main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discuss BP with Kathy -- Spoilers Welcome

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Shmi52, Oct 31, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Neo

Darth_Neo Jedi Master star 1

Jan 17, 2001
    Hi Kathy! I would first like to say that I loved BP. Ok, now on to my question. I'm not sure if you can answer this, it's not really BP related but the entire NJO. There is a thread in JC where they are discussing the most powerful jedi in the NJO. Now obvously, Luke is the strongest, but I was wondering if Mara was supposed to be just about Luke's equal in strength or not? I know Kyp's up there too, but I thougth Mara was almost as strong as Luke. Thanks Kathy! :)

2. Ramsen

Ramsen Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 23, 2001
    Hello Kathy! Loved the book, and might I say that I love the fact that you are taking time to answer fans questions on this chat page. I am sure that there are other authors that do this, but, this is the first time that I have seen it. Forgive me if you have already answered these questions, but I kind of skipped to the end of the thread (over fourty pages!). I just finished reading the book, and wanted to wait until then to post here. So without further ado, my humble questions:
    1) Obviously there was someone or some people who plotted the over all flow of the NJO storyline and co-ordinated the authors so that lets say Chewbacca doesn't show up later on in the series after Vector Prime. Who came up with and co-ordinated this whole storyline? How much influence did you have in events within the storyline?
    2) What did you use for references to describe some of the newer Yuuzhan Vong (sp?) technology that other authors came up with? I haven't seen many pictures of things like corralskippers and thud bugs although I would like to. If there are sketches or full pictures, will they be made available?
    Thanks for taking the time to read and answer all of the fans questions!!!

3. Gharlane

Gharlane Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 30, 2000
    Kathy Tyers is a two-bit hack. She is nothing compared to JMS, Gene Roddenberry, Neil Gaiman, Alan Moore, Michael Reaves, Paul Dini, Christy Marx and Greg Weisman. Both Balance Point and Truce at Bakura are unreadable. The dialogue between Mara and Luke is sickening. The only redeeming quality of Truce was that it didn't have such a big impact, but this piece of crud actually has some effects on the NJO. Why are SW fans praising this story?

4. Grand_Admiral_Jaxx

Grand_Admiral_Jaxx Jedi Master star 5

Dec 23, 2000
    Hey Kathy!

Just out of curiosity, but are there any plans for you to write any more SW novels? And how do you feel about the bad rap the NJO has gotten because the New Republic hasn't had one major victory yet?

I haven't read the entire thread because the task is quite intimidating (seeing as I put up 50 posts per page and there's 22 pages. I don't have the time to read 1,000 posts, lol.

But anyways, hope you're doing good and alls well, and I hope the cash is rolling in because of BP because you deserve it- awesome book!

5. Darth_Neo

Darth_Neo Jedi Master star 1

Jan 17, 2001
    Um, Gharlane, I don't think it is wise to come to this thread and flame Kathy. If you don't like the books that's fine, but don't come here calling people, especially Kathy, a two-bit hack. I would like to apologize to Kathy for Gharlanes comments also. It was totally uncalled for. She has spent tons of her time to be here and answer our questions and doesn't deserve to get flamed if you don't like the books.

6. Shmi52

Shmi52 Author of New Jedi Order: Balance Point star 3 VIP

Nov 20, 1999
    Stoned Rose -- Thank you. Regarding the future: All I can say is that I'm not currently on the "future SW authors" list.

MJ. Frodo -- That's generous of you. I don't think I do well "live" . . .

Darth_Neo -- Good question, and I don't know the answer. I suspect she has considerable talent, but that she may never be able to tap it all because of her upbringing. But that is ONLY a guess.

Ramsen -- Yes, other authors pop in from time to time.
    1) The story line was planned by a committee of DR & LFL people plus writers. My influence only extended to the events in my own book.
    2) Only my vivid visual imagination! -- and the previous books, of course.
    Thanks for writing.

Gharlane -- One of the occupational hazards of writing Star Wars fiction, and then sticking around to communicate with other SW fans, is that anyone and everyone is free to take pot shots at you. Fire away, but please do it in a mannerly way, and refrain from cussing on this thread. MTFBWY.

For those of you who would like to see your SW fiction in print some day, read Gharlane's comments and then ask yourself, "How would I feel if someone reacted this way to MY story?" It happens, friends. Publicly.

GAJaxx -- See answer to Stoned Rose. As for the lack of major victories: there are good reasons why this is called a "story arc."
    Thanks for your good wishes.

Darth_Neo -- Thanks. That's kind of you.

Kathy

7. Ooryl Qyrgg

Ooryl Qyrgg Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 25, 2000
    Have a go why don't you Gharlane?

Tell us what you really think.

8. Shmi52

Nov 20, 1999
    Thanks, Darth Ludicrous --

9. Anakin SkySolo

Anakin SkySolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 1999
    Kathy--

I should have posted here a while ago, I just never quite got around to it.

Anyway...I picked up your novel after work on Halloween and read it straight through to about 3 am. Not really the best way to read a book, but I just had trouble putting it down...I was looking forward to it, and I wasn't disappointed.

So thanks much for an excellent novel. I happened to read your two Star Wars novels back to back..I had just finished re-reading Truce at Bakura as part of project of mine. I wanted to see how the six sequential books Star Wars, Splinter of the Mind's Eye, Empire Strikes Back, Shadows of the Empire, Return of the Jedi, and Truce at Bakura worked as a series...They actually held together well. Truce works well as a sequel to Return, and I enjoyed it the second time around much more than the first (I still enjoyed it the first time--just not quite as much).

Anyway...back to Balance Point. I really enjoyed your characterizations. I loved seeing Mara get such a strong, central focus. She's a cool character. I can recall particularly enjoying the way she guided Anakin in their search for the YV on Coruscant. That stands out right now three months later...Mara's got a good rapport with Anakin. I enjoyed seeing that in DTO, and I enjoyed it again here.

Also, on the pregnancy...maybe your pro-life sentiments came through in Mara's decision to keep the child, but that wasn't obvious to me when I read the book. She made a decision to keep the child, overcoming her fears about the child possibly being born with her disease, or having to grow up facing the YV invasion. I thought that was great...and I'm pro-choice. Maybe what's puzzling to me is why anyone might think that a pro-choice reader would have trouble with Mara's decision.

Anyway, I'm glad to see the baby Skycrawler forthcoming. I'll be looking forward to seeing how he does battling the Vong, lightsaber in hand, at age two, just like Jacen in the Jedi Academy trilogy.

um...that's a joke...any Del Rey editors or LucasFilm people, please don't take that seriously...

The other characterization I really enjoyed was your depiction of Jacen. I really thought the lad would go over to the dark side...and I'm just as glad he didn't. I think you did a good job of depicting his inner struggle. And I loved the vision at the start of the book. I was one of those who thought the Voice was Anakin Skycrawler--I mean, Skywalker! Skywalker! Either way, I'll be interested to see how future authors make use of Jacen's prophetic visions.

One of the parts that I love about the NJO is the partial generational shift in focus. In other words, I'm glad to see the Solo kids take on larger roles. That's one of the things I wanted to see with this series, and I'm satisfied at least.

Finally, I think Balance Point compares very well to the other books in the NJO. As a hardback, I thought it made an excellent companion piece to Vector Prime, which I loved. It also stands up well after Dark Tide and Jedi Eclipse.

I did have ONE QUESTION regarding events. Please forgive me if this has already been asked. This is a long thread, and it's been some weeks since I've read any posts in it.

On page 286, Luke is trying to decide which course of action to take. He gets a sense of Leia and danger, and that Leia is being held captive. Right at the bottom of the page, the text reads:

"[Luke] tried to get some guidance from the Force. Surprisingly, his clearest impression was that this wasn't Leia's moment at all. Her destiny was established, but within the next hour, Jacen must stand firm...or fall utterly."

I understand what the reference to Jacen is, of course. What I'm confused about is Leia. This may not be her "moment," but what does it mean that "her destiny was established"?

Does that mean Luke knew she was going to live? If so, how would that have been possible if Jacen had fallen to the dark side? Jacen's decision to use the Force again seems like a key factor in the fact that Leia lives.

Or does the phrase "her destiny was established" mean th

10. Pellaeon69187

Pellaeon69187 Jedi Master star 5

Dec 28, 2000
    I'm sure many people have asked you this but, are you going to be writing any more SW novels?
    I hope you write more in the NJO but if you don't I hope you write at least one more SW novel.
    Also, I loved BP, TAB is also a great book dispite what Bantha Fodder... I mean Gharlane says.

I can't belive Kathy Tyers is reading this!

11. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    Kathy, it was a good novel, and I liked it, but I have to be honest in saying that it wasn't the novel I wanted to read. Unlike most people here, I knew a lot of what was going to happen in Balance Point, long before it came out, including Skycrawler which I kept secret for months. And perhaps that is what led to my unfair expectations. I knew a lot about the novel, but not everything.
    I did not want to really read about Jacen and his intense inner struggle against the Force. I don't know why... it just seemed silly to me, but then most teenage, rebellion/angst
    I was far more interested in Jaina's struggle to come to terms with the fact she may never see again, and more than likely never fly again. I was disappointed that Jaina's blindness was hardly dwealt upon, mostly forgotten, and really just a way to seperate her from Rogue Squadron and insert her into this story. In fact, I am disappointed she heals at all. A permanent disability to a character least expected is the perfect way to add drama and toss a wrench into things.
    I can't say I'm disappointed by Skycrawler, however. That was a good an interesting development, long over due.
    I still must say my favorite part of the novel was Mara and Anakin hunting Vong on Coruscant. More of these two and less of Jacen's selfishness would have been cool.

12. Han Soho

Han Soho Jedi Youngling

Oct 3, 1998
    I didn't like Jacen in these books either. Not that the characterization was bad-I don't think I was supposed to really agree with his decision. But of course, since the author is here she can tell us, can't she?

I loved this book. For some reason, it was just more interesting than any of the other NJO books so far. Even though no one died like in Vector Prime, it seemed like more was happening, and that the events would have more of an impact on the story.

I also like that Kathy Tyers is actually on this board. I like authors who I can reach and talk to about their books. Orson Scott Card and Kathy Tyers are two of my favorites, and they both post on messageboards. So, Kathy, please continue to post here, even if, um, people like the one who posted above can't appreciate that you actually listen to your readers.

13. Grand_Admiral_Jaxx

Dec 23, 2000
    Oh, and Kathy, I wanted to ask you...

This doesn't have to do so much with SW, but with writing itself... when you write, how do you make it so good? (For lack of a better way of asking.) Do you just let it flow on the page, close your eyes and type, pure and simple, or do you force yourself to add descriptions here and there? Or is it a middle ground?

And out of curiosity, do you ever read the fan-fic section? (No, this does not mean I want you to read my fan-fic, don't take it the wrong way, please) If you do read it, then is it interesting to see how others do it?

14. Rouge Null

Rouge Null Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    Someone probably already did this but I'm reporting Gharlane to the EUDF. Say good-night you son of the sith.

15. Red-gold03

Red-gold03 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 9, 2000
    Sorry about that, Kathy. Gharlane was totally out of line.

Once again, loved the book and I hope to see more of your writing in the EU soon. Take care and May the Force Be With You!

16. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    Gharlane- Kathy is an excellent author who, like others, have her ups and downs with her profession. You shouldn't expect every book of hers to be great and wonderful. If you don't like it and want to comment your opinions about it, at least have some decency to leave intelligent comments on why you dislike it.

One thing I have always gone by when it comes to criticizing works, is never compare a piece of literature with another. You'll find yourself being disappointed.

<bows graciously and walks out>

17. Evil Solo

Evil Solo Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 1, 2000
    Kathy, Gharlene, and everyone else ~

Before his comments cause the focus of this thread to shoot off on some Defend Kathy/Gharlene is satan tangent, everyone should remember that Ms. Tyers writes novels for a living. This means she has a publisher and more than likely, an editor. If she hasnt heard it by now, she never will. "Two-bit hack" ? Is that all you got Gharlene ? I bet Kathy laughed her arse off after that grand critique.......

99.9 % of us who frequent TF.N would like nothing more in life than to be, if even in a small way, a part of the Star Wars expierence. Maybe not as an actor in the film, or an author of one of the books. But closer in the sense that since its much more to us than just a "movie about aliens", we want to touch it, the way it has touched us.

With that in mind, let me say this. Gharlene's comments werent bad because of his opinion of the authors work ( he offered no constructive arguments that I could see ) or of her personally; they were bad for another reason altogether. I think it escapes him entirely that for the past few months, we have all had the opportunity to touch an actual piece of what we all love the most. Kathy's participation in this forum is as close as most of us will ever get to interact with someone who had a part in creating and furthering Star Wars. Her time here has been without limit, and as I scan the more than 40 pages of this thread, I see that she continues to answer EVERYONE personally.

Folks, she is a gift to us. I wish that Gharlene could have seen that before he took off on his rant.

Now dont go grabbing your ropes just yet. Last time I checked it was still America, and he has the right to say whatever he wants.....well okay you know what I mean. His comments were subjective, maybe somewhat crude, but it was still just his opinion. He will kick himself one day, when he matures a little more, wishing he had spent his time a little more civily. And I bet it wouldnt be a stretch if Ms Tyers recieves some heartfelt apologies sometime soon.

In either case, he had his say, she had hers, lets just move on. ( By the way, did you see how Kathy handled him ? Nothing to it ! )
    Lets not let this thread turn away from where it started from.

Kathy..... CARRY ON !!!

Evil Solo

18. Grand_Admiral_Jaxx

Dec 23, 2000
    And Gharlane, while it's good to express your opinion, just don't do it so rashly. Think before you speak. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, and mine is that BP is the best NJO book in the whole series. (HONEST!!)

19. Ganner

Ganner Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2000
    [It is interesting to note that Gharlane is only the sockpuppet of someone too cowardly to post as themselves - he only has 1 post to his name.]

But I digress...

Back to the BP discussion!

20. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Grand Admiral Wettengel Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 10, 2000
    Haven't been on this thread in some time and I'm glad I didn't see the unedited version of that negative comment.

Criticizing an author for his/her writing style has to be one of the least credible attacks on a book possible. Everyone writes differently.

Now, I'm a major critic of Vector Prime and I believe that I did refer to RAS as a "no talent hack" or something along those lines at one point, but at least I actually took the time to articulate my points as to why I believe VP was a poor novel and I have discussed my reasoning for my poor opinion of Vector Prime at length.

DL, AniSS, DEW--feel like going another round? J/K of course.

I totally agree with you, DL. Enough of Jacen's internal struggle already because it has gotten silly. Carrying it on for one book was all right, but up to now Jacen's internal struggle has been a major sub-theme of the NJO since Onslaught. Its time to resolve this. This is total war--no time for morality.

And more Vong hunting would have been very interesting. And Jaina's going blind would be nice--show us these Solo brats aren't invincible. They're 15, 17 and 17 and yet they can do anything. How annoying. They need to fail several times--I'd personally like them all to die, preferably being eaten by the Vong.

And talk about drama. Han loses Chewie, then he loses all his kids. Luke, Han and Leia would be devestated.

21. Shmi52

Nov 20, 1999
    Anakin SkySolo -- Thank you. The Vong-hunting sequance was fun to write because I've been a teacher, too -- though never as gifted and competent a teacher as Mara. And I think you're right: I was not trying to beat a pro-life drum, so Mara's POV here worked. "Preaching" one's own sentiments is generally death to good fiction writing.

Re your question about Leia's destiny: It's well asked. I'm not sure Luke knew the answer himself. Sometimes the Force can be maddeningly vague (but there I am again, forgetting that these aren't real people . . . sorry . . . ).

Pellaeon69187 -- I'm not in the sched for another SW novel. Thanks for your kind words, though.

Darth Ludicrous -- I'm amazed how many people knew, as you did, and said nothing in public. Amazed and very impressed. Thank you!

I think you've brought up a good point about Jacen. A lot of people posting here didn't identify with him. You all know this was my assignment. As a formerly-somewhat-angst-ridden youngster (and -- at the time BP was written -- the mom of a HS senior), I also knew there'd be people (at both ends of the age-group spectrum) who would identify.

Yes -- permanent blindness for Jaina would have been a very interesting twist to the story arc.

Thanks for your comments.

I,O,Q,G -- Mmm . . . I think he made the right choice. But that's just MHO. And thanks.

G_A_Jaxx -- Oh, mercy. I prewrite (which I'm doing these days -- outline, character charts, map the book's high points, outline some more, etc etc etc). Then I write a wretched, awful first draft which is mostly "outline with dialog" (for some reason I can usually hear my characters' voices before I see them very well). Then I go back and add description and scene details, and start chopping out slow stuff, subplot ideas that went nowhere -- and adding dialog and events that link the subplots I've decided to keep. I have some close friends who generally critique it at this point, and that means another layer of rewriting and polishing. Among those friends are an MD, former (and current) Air Force personnel, and an Aikido blackbelt.

Now you know why it takes me so long to deliver a manuscript to an editor.

I really can't read fanfic, for reasons I've already mentioned -- time, fairness, copyright issues. That's unfortunate, because I used to enjoy it.

And thank you!

Rouge Null -- Ah, but it was such an intriguing pseudonym.

Red-gold 03 -- Thanks. No apologies necessary, honest (though I'm certainly human and sensitive enough to be grateful).

CmdrM -- Intelligent comments are always food for intelligent discussion.

Evil Solo -- "If she hasn't heard it by now, she never will." Exactly. And sometimes from people who have praised other things I've written. Someone VERY dear to me once read an admittedly slow scene and calmly said, "You've got to admit that even for what this is, it isn't very good." Argh. After that, a person should be able to survive almost anything (though I'll admit that for nearly 10 years afterward, I wrote nothing) (yes, we are still friends)(besides, he was right. . . .).

And yes, as I said, people are free to express opinions & take potshots. But without cussing. -- Here, anyway. Hey -- being an old lady has its perks, y'know? (That makes up for the aches and pains -- somebody hand me my cane and I'll beat off the Sith with it . . . )

Ganner -- Interesting, and not surprising. Possibly created at a party? (I have guilty memories about a group of 10-year-old girls making random phone calls) (no, I didn't participate -- but I didn't stop it, either)

GAWettengel -- re DL, AniSS, Dew: No blasters, no blasters!

re your comments: I think Jacen is ready to settle in and save the galaxy now.

Kathy

22. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Hi, Kathy. I really liked BP. I didn't feel it was up to the caliber of TAB, but then BP is part of a story arc and TAB wasn't. Still it was very good, and while I too tired of Jacen's struggles, the wimp;), I pressed on and must say that I was surprised by the clifhanger ending.

I will just say that on the whole, your novels seem to peter out about mid way through, before taking on another burst of speed. Do you do this on purpose to give us breathing room or is it just me?

(probably just me) Anyway, I admire you very much as an author and hope to see you continue to prosper.

23. junio

junio Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    I have to say that I liked a lot to see Jacen and his troubles of the Force. His problems to chose what to do, what not to do. That was pretty cool. And to finally saw him do what he did! That was great!!!

Kathy, I remember that once somebody asked you why didn't you put names to each chapter, and you answered that it was for lack of time. My question about this is: Would you have prefered to have some more time to name each chapter, or do you like it the way it happened, with chapters unnamed?

24. Han Soho

Han Soho Jedi Youngling

Oct 3, 1998
    I liked what Jacen chose at the end. What I found annoying was how much his not using the Force made me think of a person deciding that sight was evil, and choosing to close their eyes. I think he was right at the end though.

I also liked the way this book got into detail about the Yuuzhan Vong. The other books kind of told about their myths, but not enough for us to understand what really is the driving force in their culture. BP gave us more insight on how the Vong view things.

By the way, this thread is supposed to be a disscussion, right? I mean, we can do other stuff besides just ask questions? This was my favorite Star Wars book yet, and the author being here to answer questions and talk about the book is great.

25. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    I have a question and its sorta off topic.

On average how much do you get paid for a book by a publisher? I'm just curious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.