main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discuss BP with Kathy -- Spoilers Welcome

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Shmi52, Oct 31, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drfc

drfc Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 5, 2000
    The time is gonna run out so better do this quick.

Congratulations on a great book.It was good to go to a traditionle story line with the heroes in the same place(for a while).
    a few questions I hope you could answer.

No.1:Who is your favourite expanded universe character.

No.2:Did you create tinnian from your bossk story or some one else?

No.3:would you consider writing a book in the prequal era if offered the chance.

Oh yeah,your FIREBIRD series rocks.

Goodluck in the future
    Cheers
    aidan.

2. drfc

drfc Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 5, 2000
    Crap hoe the hell did all that happen? Oh well

3. Charlemagne

Charlemagne Jedi Padawan star 4

May 15, 1999
    Hey Kathy how do you see Leia reacting to all the stuff that has occured in your book?

Not just the *sniffle* hair but also her injury and betrayal and Han me boy.

4. Grand_Admiral_Jaxx

Grand_Admiral_Jaxx Jedi Master star 5

Dec 23, 2000
    Oh!

I finally remembered what I wanted to ask after so long...

Who came up with the idea of the Yuuzhan Vong and their ideas and methods? While I'm sure RASalvatore came up with a lot of the subleties that are used, he couldn't have come up with the whole thing...

I guess I'm asking- who created the Vong? A group of SW writers in a meeting, GL himself, or an obsessed editor for Del Rey in a dark corner? (j/k on that last one...)

5. Shmi52

Shmi52 Author of New Jedi Order: Balance Point star 3 VIP

Nov 20, 1999
    womp_rat208 -- You're right: I can't post fanfic. :(

Charlemagne -- To be honest, after the SR got trounced I cheerfully put them out of my mind and got to work on other characters.

jedimasterED -- Thanks from me too.

Rouge Null -- I wish I could help with fanfics, but my sense of fairness says "help one, help all." In other words, once I started, there would be no stopping, and I need that time to write my next book. I apologize, and I wish you all the best with it.

Asyr Handor -- Those scenes existed in my mind, of course! But I got "the word" to minimize their reunion before I got to write that part of the story. This isn't all bad: surely you've scripted those scenes in YOUR mind, too . . . exactly the way you'd like to see them played out.

drfc: 1) Sure! I can imagine a lot of things that probably won't be offered to me.
    2) I don't want to play favorites.
    3) Tinian first appeared in the SWAJ story, "Tinian on Trial."

Thanks for the good word re FIREBIRD. I appreciate that.

Charlemagne again -- With her usual grace, poise, courage, and intelligence.

G_A_Jaxx -- D) Several of the above. ;)

Kathy

6. Grand_Admiral_Jaxx

Dec 23, 2000
    Several of the above. hmm, so (trying to see if I can get it straight) Lucas said, "Create aliens."

Del Rey said to Salvatore "Create biological aliens who hate technology and are from another galaxy and are immune to Jedi"

Then Salvatore did that, and pushed the boundaries?

And the next authors improved it. Sounds like Del Rey is giving you guys a lot more creativity than I thought (assuming I got the thought process correct)

7. Grand_Admiral_Jaxx

Dec 23, 2000
    Up... I don't want to see this thread fall to an early demise

8. Wildwookiee

Wildwookiee Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2001
    Hey Kathy,
    I'm new to this entire site, and being a Music Major, I just have one question,

-do you write while listening to music? And if so, what would your favorite genre be?

9. Shmi52

Nov 20, 1999
    GAJaxx -- I honestly don't know how much to attribute to whom. I wasn't there.

WW -- Hello and welcome! I sometimes write rough draft to music, which could be just about anything from film scores to Christian Contemporary to Irish folk to classical. But I can't edit with music playing. I find myself too easily convinced that I've written effective prose if the music stirs my emotions.

Kathy

10. Xun_Tsarea

Xun_Tsarea Jedi Youngling

Mar 28, 2001
    Well first of all I'd like to say well done and thank you for BP. I am enjoying the NJO greatly at the moment and your book added to the enjoyment.

Okay, question time (apologise for taking up your time or if the question has been asked before):

How attached are you to your own personal characters? For example were you upset by Gaeriel Captison's death?

Oh yes and now I've read BP your added to my list of authors who's other works I want to read. Got. To. Find. Time. Somewhere. Ah curses to revision, who needs uni anyway (Joke).

11. Shmi52

Nov 20, 1999
    X_T -- I do get attached to my characters, but Roger Allen asked for my permission when he wrote Gaeriel out of the saga, so I wasn't completely surprised. Thank you for adding me to your list. I know EXACTLY what you mean about having to find time. In fact:

To all: I hate to say this, but I must take a sabbatical. I've just been offered a contract to write a new novel for Bethany House, and I need to concentrate my creative efforts on that novel for a while. It will be a non-SW, non-Firebird, stand-alone book. I'm not going to vanish completely, but please understand if I don't answer many posts or even many private messages until September or so! I'll try to post updates on my website every now and then. Until then, MTFBWY all, and thanks for a great time!

Best,
    Kathy

12. Darth Pikachuwbacca

Darth Pikachuwbacca Jedi Master star 4

Jan 22, 2000
    While I am not about to sit here and read through 46 other pages, what I have read, I've noticed, is mostly positive.

Well, I have to say, I was very disappointed in this book. I felt a lot of it just fell flat.

What seemed like a HUGE ommission was the ending. The heroes go to hyperspace, and we don't see them again. A scene back on Coruscant or on the Falcon with all the characters would have helped immensly. How did Jacen feel about finally using the Force, now that he's had time to reflect back on it. What happened to Droma? Will Leia's legs be saved? What happened to the last Duro city? Another chapter would have tied up many of these loose ends.

That was the main problem I had with the book anyways. I had trouble following it sometimes because I had just lost interest.

13. Grand_Admiral_Jaxx

Dec 23, 2000
    Darth... as for the loose ends... they're cliffhangers, so it keeps your interest and makes you want to be more eager to shell out those bucks for the next NJO book. I know it sounds kinda cold, but GL and company didn't make SW to tell a story, but to profit from it. Besides, I liked BP because of it not tying up the loose ends... it made me think about the situation the good guys are in... Leia's legs... the Duro city... Droma... it makes me think a bit. It (imho) limits your imagination when the author has to spell it out for you.

As for the book losing your interest, that's not my fault ;) Every reader and writer is very different with their writing style. I found the book immensly interesting, but you didn't. It's just a matter of personal preference. Hope that answers your questions for now (for Kathy's busy)

14. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Jaxx I think has it about right. And style is a very subjective thing. Sometimes an author has one that you just don't mesh with.

15. Alderaan_

Alderaan_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    Wha-??? I had thought this thread was locked long before I read BP. ?[face_plain]

Oh, well, anyways, I loved it! it was realistic, the characters were protrayed perfectly, the plot kept me awake late at night reading, and the internal battle was one of the best I've ever seen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.