main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussing a Merge of the Games Forum into Community

Discussion in 'Communications' started by The2ndQuest , Mar 19, 2019.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Like many of our secondary forums, the traffic in the Games Forum has declined over the years. even though we still maintained a small group of regulars, driving traffic to the forum has always been an issue even during our most active years. The dissolution of LucasArts and the reduced output of Star Wars titles under EA has only furthered the situation.

A solution that has been proposed for increasing forum activity would involve merging the Games Forum into Community as a new sub-forum tag (likely "Gaming" or "Video Games"); and, following some initial feedback from the Games Forum denizens, we'd like to get further input from the wider user base on the idea at this time.

The main reasons for merging it into Community is that video games would pair well with the other entertainment medium sub-forums currently under Community, such as Amphitheater (film/TV/books) & Arena (sports). Additionally, there is already a gaming-related thread in JCC that has an active user base with only partial overlap with the Games Forum regulars, so there's already opportunity to expand/combine the level of interaction on the subject.

Even though Community has generally operated under a non-Star Wars subject matter rule, the feedback from the Games Forum users has made it pretty clear that people do not want to see the SW and non-SW gaming threads divided among forums (as would be the only solution, should we adhere strictly to that guideline). As such, a limited amount of Star Wars threads would be moved over/permitted for video games only, with future threads taken on a case-by-case basis and likely under mod approval only.

The overall process would be similar to what was done years ago when the Amphitheater & SFAF forums were merged into Community: key/major threads would be brought over into Community and continue as normal, while the rest are moved into an archived forum (with threads being able to be moved over by request through a mod).

Lastly, should this merger occur, the existing Games section of Community would be renamed to avoid confusion (something along the lines of "JCC Games", "Thread Games", "Forum Games", etc- actual tag title TBD).

What are your thoughts on this possibility? Any concerns that this proposal may have overlooked? Are you in favor of bringing the gaming discussions under the same entertainment roof? Or would you like to keep things separate?

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  2. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    These are my thoughts from the Games thread:
    So I guess the one thing I'm not aligned with other Games forum members is allowing SW games threads for the reasons I stated above.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  3. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    As I also wrote in the quoted thread, I suggested years ago that Games be merged into the JCC, and have always been very much in favour of it. But with the minimal output of SW games we have had for the past years, I think what little discussion there is in threads for SW games would soon die out completely if it's stowed away into obscurity in the EU section or some such. So my preference would be to move the whole thing or keep it where it is.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019