main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Discussion Time: Let's Talk About Drafts - next draft?

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthIntegral, Sep 13, 2007.

1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I think we could do a mixture

Sixteen rounds of traditional snake drafting and then maybe a massive quasi free agency. One pick up per gm every four hours or something for the last nine picks.

Or, if we do the franchise mechanism from this Basketball Draft, you could literally have four rounds go concurrently.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
    heels1785 likes this.
  2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yeah, was gonna say, just do the franchise method -- and only a few teams are left out after 25.

3. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    Well, then do the rounds with 1 player and 1 pitcher each round until the pitcher slots are all taken up, then switch to 2 players per round to make it more even.

4. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

This possible version intrigues me the most; the every-four-hours thing wouldn't work smoothly on some days.

Regardless of the exact setup, it would be rather splendid if this were to happen.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  5. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Here's my thought on an expedient draft

If we do 6 GMs, every GM gets to nominate four Franchises and pick from every spot four times. We could literally have six rounds going at the same time - yes, madness, But I get to coordinate that madness.
    That takes care of 24 of 25 roster spots
    We can then do one "free for all" via PM round where everyone selects a player from a franchise not posted. If there are duplicate claims, nobody gets that players, and those GMs continue to send in desired picks until everyone has their 25th.

If we do 8, that's three GMs each, and we have a little unbalance in the ordering of things.

If we do 12, that's 2 each and the most simple way to balance, but a) that makes for a long game and b) that seems like a lot of people to get/stay interested in a game.

DarthTunick likes this.
  6. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
    I think everyone should just pick one franchise and field your best 25 from that. Most franchises have been around so long that most every team can field a competitive all time team. If we have 12 owners, the top 12 franchises are going to be taken. But in the rare case someone might want expansion era teams, they could be paired together.
    The other thing is, to DH or not? Or DH in AL only (6 AL and 6 NL teams).

7. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Not to get too far ahead of ourselves, because I really like the Comic Book Draft idea @a star war put forth. But I got, what I think is a good idea, and wanted to put it down in writing before I forgot about it.

Thinking about the way we constructed lists in the last MTV and Comic Book Drafts where each GM and each judge brought their characters and that's where the list came from ... what about a Multiverse draft, where each GM/Judge gets to bring in from a different set of fictional characters? And, once that medium is claimed, the other GMs have to pick from a different one.

For example, the first GM to sign up claims Animated Characters, the second one claims Comic Books, the third Video Game characters ... so on, and so forth. Then, the list is 20 characters (minus any vetoed by the Commish and Judges) from Animated, 20 from Comic Books, 20 from Video Games, 20 from Shakespearean Literature, 20 from Movies and Television, 20 from Broadway, etc. And we mash them together into one big list and do a fun draft that crosses several mediums.

Thoughts?

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Inty -- love it but didn't we try this with the Draft of Drafts, or is this sufficiently different enough? Also, would Broadway characters ever get drafted?

What if we had the lists BUT then snake-drafted like you did with the Basketball one:

DRAFT SIGN-UP:
    1) dp4m
    2) heels sucks
    3) Wang Chi's gonna win
    4) a star war's gonna snark

dp4m claims Broadway, heels claims Marvel, Wang Chi claims Movies, a star war claims Video Games, etc. until we get through however many lists.

DRAFT ORDER:

And then you randomize draft selection for rounds like you did basketball and whomever picks first in a round picks the list to draft from and everyone has to pick from that list, etc.?

heels1785 likes this.
  9. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I mean. I'd draft Broadway characters. Because I care about having good characters on my team. And who doesn't want to see Jean Valjean TRUMPED with Wolverine?

I think this is different enough from the draft of drafts as that was a) just a giant free-for-all b) had no finite list of characters that could be drafted and c) mandated one pick from each category. Here, you just pick from a smorgasbord. And, with only 20 characters (maybe less when someone tries to sneak, say, Mistress Death or Galactus onto the Comic Book List) per, you would only have maybe 3 from each genre on a team. So, you've got to look at other mediums to get to a 12-character roster. at 8 GMs plus 3 judges, 11*20 = 220 available characters and 96 drafted to get 12 man rosters.

10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I mean, I'm up for whatever except Basketball (or Hockey)... :p

11. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    I’m not sure I’m understanding. A single person is responsible for an entire medium? So if I want to add literature characters I can therefore not add any movie characters?

Could we not simply break up the X characters in total from each of the mediums evenly? Or at least allow swapping of slots between participants?

12. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    [​IMG]

dp4m likes this.
  13. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I'm certainly not opposed to some different methods of creating the draftable list. My chief goal here is to get a draft list that crosses several mediums - ideally, as many as possible. If that looks like "every GM and every judge get to add x characters, have to pull from at least y sources, and get at most z in any single bucket", I'm cool with that, too.

That said, I'd like to try your idea for the next Comic Draft first, any ways.

But, with the basketball draft ending, I want to talk about the baseball draft.

A few things:

• As best I can tell, "dream teams" do not use the Designated Hitter, so adjust thinking/strategy for that
    • Rosters are 25 deep
    • Starting Lineup/Strategy consists of: Setting the 1-8 batting order (pitcher to hit ninth), assigning each player to their spot in the field
    • To be eligible, players must have reached a minimum of 50 at-bats or 25 innings pitched

I think the way we managed this last NBA Draft makes the most sense - limiting each round to a specific franchise. I'm willing to bend that rule a bit and allow for the same Franchise to be put up multiple times (that way, we get more than 6ish Yankees drafted, which seems criminal). If we have 6 GMs this works out nicely, as each GM would pick from each position 4 times and nominate a franchise 4 times, and then I would as commissioner, nominate a franchise for the 25th spot, and have everyone PM me with their top choice. Anyone who picks a player no one else picks gets that pick, any duplicates - nobody gets that player, and the GMs who submitted for contested players need to resubmit. And we continue on until everyone has their player.

(ex: six GMs and in the 25th Round, I put forward the Montreal Expos/Washington Nationals. dp4m wants Tim Raines, heels wants Bryce Harper, Tunick, SSP, wang, and Lloyd all put in for Pedro Martinez. dp gets Raines, heels gets Harper - nobody gets Pedro, and those four send in again. This time, Tunick wants Andres Gallaraga, wang wants Dennis Martinez, and Lloyd and SSP both want Ken Hill. Tunick gets Gallaraga, wang gets Martinez, and SSP and Lloyd submit again. This time, Lloyd wants Moises Alou and SSP wants Larry Walker. And we're done).

Another option is to go to the next multiple of GMs up (30 roster spots for 6 GMs, 32 for 8, etc), and allow for a "farm team" to be established. I'm okay with this, too.

For in-game mechanics:

I'd like to set it up with a "calendar" with a series of 3-game sets between teams, and some scheduled off days. I'd like to mandate that no starting pitcher can be used again until three rest days (other games or a travel day for his club_.

And, I envision top-four teams go to the playoffs, with best-of-seven series in a 2-3-2 format.

Thoughts?

DarthTunick likes this.
  14. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    OK, so this isn’t a draft game, but if anyone is going to help me figure if this idea is a goer/or has been previously tried - it’s you lot.

Has there ever been a battle royale/fortnite style game played at the JCC?

15. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
  16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    comet1440 I think once threatened to do that if he saw us at a convention...

Point Given and heels1785 like this.
  17. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Comic Draft is wrapping up - let's get serious about a baseball draft.

Raise your hand if your interested.

Would like to do 8 GMs, do the one franchise per round to keep us going quickly, and then a free-for-all for the last roster spot (similar to the Marvel Draft with a dead list). I would like to waive the limit on franchises only being put up once (because, honestly, only drafting 8 Yankees seems a crime).

I'd like to see a round-robin with each team playing a three-game series against every other team, both home and away. That's a 42-game season. Each team announces their rotation for the series, and then each team announces their lineup for each game, then I sim as a group. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Anyone have an objection to needing to use a four-man rotation? Or, rather, minimum three "days" between starts for a starting pitcher? I'd like to bake in a few "travel" days, to simulate the real baseball season, so you could theoretically pitch someone quicker than every four games on rare occasion.

No DH, as outlined above. 25 man rosters.

heels1785 and Point Given like this.
  18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I'm down.

19. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    sounds fun, i'm in.

20. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    affirmative.

21. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    one question i have is what year we would be starting with, in other words if we are going to be restricted to the live ball era?

22. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    What if Sports goes back to 1885 for Dream Teams.

23. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    dibs on mordecai "three fingers" brown

tom and DarthIntegral like this.
  24. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    they did that on purpose so i couldn't have old hoss radbourne's 59 win season where he pitched 73 complete games. just try to restrict me to a four man rotation when i got old hoss. sigh.

DarthIntegral and heels1785 like this.
  25. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I'll work on an OP and get it up sometime this week, then.

heels1785 likes this.