main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Disney Buys LucasFilm: Star Wars 7 Planned To Release 2015

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by jaoblias, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    Oh god no. Keep Cameron away from Star Wars too. His ego is out of control, imagine how smug he would be to add a third 2 billion dollar boxoffice film to his list? To say he directed star wars film? No, keep his avatar nonsense away.

Really I can only see someone with artistic integrity or a friend of Lucas doing it.

I am just really against certain "names" putting their spin on star wars. It wouldn't be star wars. It would be their movie first.

Cameron, Whedon, Abrams, Bay, Nolan, etc.

I suppose you can say a spielberg star wars movie would be a spielberg movie first. I am okay with this because of the two's history. Indiana Jones and he was supposed to direct return of the jedi.

2. SithLord_1270

SithLord_1270 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 5, 2008
    Yeah, I agree, Spielberg could pull it off. LikeI said in my earlier post, Disney needs to keep certain things that are just signature Star Wars.

3. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    Knowing Disney, they'll either pick some director no one has ever heard about before, or some journeyman director who can do solid work. The Walt Disney Corporation can be even more tight fisted than George Lucas.

4. BoromirsFan

May 16, 2010
    its still amazes me. A few days ago we would have laughed at this thought. A few days ago the idea of Episode VII was fanfiction!

ThatWanFromStewjon likes this.
  5. ThatWanFromStewjon

ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 8, 2012
    :D

6. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    While I can't speak to his ego, I agree that Cameron's name should be kept out if this.

Besides, he is busy on Avatar 2.

Bay will never be considered - there is no way Star Wars can be Bayified.

I don't know if it is Nolan's thing.

Whedon, I would love him to do it, but Disney have him busy with Marvel.

Abrams - I'd absolutely love if Abrams took the chair on this and Orci and Kurtzman were on the writing team. They Star Trek great again like it was in old days of the Kirk series and movies (DS9 was awesome, the rest can rot) and Transformers was not Orci and Kurtzman's fault.:)

7. Crazy AT-AT

Crazy AT-AT Jedi Youngling

Nov 1, 2012
    Re signed into this lovely forums I have left a LOOOOOOOONG time ago and to come back after the news hit the air waves. Big Jaw dropper and topic at work since yesterday. some co workers are still finding out today. possibility's, possibility's possibility's. I know I will be camping out on preview night with some of you.

already sank in so now the wait. and I am glad it ended this way and not wait till GL passed away or made something horrible. I rather see him see how this story and rest of the production license is fast tracked and is not just an idea waiting to be made. I love the EU and just glad this whole thing is moving again. now Gotta get my 40 aged rear end off the couch and get fit to live through this and get back in the game.

8. DarthHutt

DarthHutt Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 2, 2000
    Common sense.

9. DarthHutt

DarthHutt Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 2, 2000
    About the 'original story' concept:

Just because it'll be something new doesn't mean that L, L & H won't be involved somehow...or even the main characters of the film.
    It just means that LFL/Disney won't use any previously published source material as the main plot.

10. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    Common sense tells you they were only after ILM this whole money making machine and yet left it as the most independent arm???

11. DM99

DM99 Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 26, 2012
    It will be a remake, so Disney can learn and understand star wars. Do you realy believe global disney empire risks a total flop of a complete new movie and letting mark hamil walk around as a grandpa with Lightsaber? That would be naiv to believe. Hamil is a B actor in Hollywood. Disney only works with big names. The creme dela creme in hollywood. and they try to use non risk storylines. already accepted stories like ANH which they only polish to 21st century.

i think the remake will be a cold, soulless and profit orientated movie. true star wars fans will wonder about the people sitting next to them, which are just there to see their hollywood darlings on the screen.

Lucas said "Giving Star Wars to younger Movie makers.." that means retelling the same story. Lucas does not want to be blamed any longer for this movies. Now they can say, "Disney, you raped my midlifecrisis..."

LOL
    Thats a BITTER LOL! [face_not_talking]

12. FORCEFED

FORCEFED Jedi Master star 5

Nov 27, 2002
    it's not going to be a remake, handsome. it's called "episode VII" not "episode IV take 2". what kind of inane thinking is that?

Andy Wylde likes this.
  13. DM99

DM99 Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 26, 2012
    Do you realy think this marketing gag "Episode 7" has anything to do with Lucas and his Story? This has nothing to do with Lucas and his 6 Epiodes. It wont be a new Story connected to LucasĀ“s Saga. He is out now. Once and for all. Lucas does not have any Story after ROTJ. For him Star Wars ended their with the defeat of the Sith Order. The only thing he wanted to make was LAS between ROTS and ANH.

Lucas will help Disney to remake ANH. To remake/copy Star Wars

14. BoromirsFan

May 16, 2010
    no I think you need to get your head out of the mud. No remakes

Andy Wylde likes this.
  15. DM99

DM99 Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 26, 2012
    We will see, Mr. :cool:

16. SithLord_1270

Nov 5, 2008
    No. A remake would b financial suicide. More than likely it will b a new story with the shiny new faces u were talking about.
    Re-casting would b the same. No, more than likely new story taking place after RotJ. IF they are calling back the original 3, then expect a generational/passing the torch story.

If that's the case then expect to see Jacen, Jaina, Anakin, or Ben. But that in no way means they will adapt an EU story. Just that the characters will be there but new story.

17. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    I don't know if anyone has brought this up but John Williams is getting up there in age too. Can you imagine future Star Wars movies without his music?!

SithLord_1270 likes this.
  18. SithLord_1270

Nov 5, 2008
    Jedi-Rising, U r right. I hope they can get him to do the music. I can't imagine anyone else doing the music for Star Wars. He knows the franchise so well. Matches the mood & action perfectly. No, I can't imagine anyone else trying to score Star Wars films. I shudder at the thought. Especially if they try to change the theme! I hate the way they changed it for TCW.

19. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    Just did a little math with what 2 billion dollars worth in shares of Disney stocks means to Uncle George. Well out of "individual" shareholders it would put him at an estimated 40 million shares. The nearest share holder to him with 1.1 million shares is Disney CEO Bob Iger himself. However out of "Institutional" shareholders, he's 8th on the list, but those are financial institutions like T-Rowe Price and State Farm. He owns about 2% of Disney, doesn't sound like much, but that's about 40x more than the CEO has and is on par with just about all the institutions that are invested with them.

What does this mean? Not much, but in theory at that level he could be a board member and I would think that would give him "some" influence to the overall "vision" for Disney. Again we don't know his plan yet. He might just ride off into the sunset with his stock, but I don't see him just sitting around knowing that someone else is producing another Star Wars film. I think he will still be involved creatively, and if he alone owns 2% of the entire company (more than any one single person) he might just get people to listen..

Disclaimer, I'm no corporate finance guy!!!! Just an occasional stock trader. If I'm wrong with anything I've said, please correct me. As of now, we still don't have anymore insight then what was released earlier this week.

20. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    It will be very unusual but if we have a new composer and they work off of Williams' themes it will make it an easier transition. A new score entirely would be very jarring.

21. SithLord_1270

Nov 5, 2008
    Hmmmm....I wonder if this will have any effect on what they have planned for Ahsoka's fate.

22. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012
    The ST will take place several decades after ROTJ. And it's a complete new story, and not using any EU source as a main story. Main point is: it'll probably take place after the Yuuhzan Vong war and not be based on it. *Phew*
    I really hope they keep that same "feel" to star wars: that roughness and ruggedness and not this sleek-everything's-perfect-utopian kind of feel. And don't screw up the EU

23. AdmiralSteven

AdmiralSteven Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 23, 2010

According to an article I read, (full article can be found here) Dale Pollock, who interviewed George Lucas some 80 times for a book, was allowed to read the outlines for all 12 movies (I knew of only 9, so this was news to me), and he said that the next series was to take place when Luke was in his 30's and 40's. Now how that will play out with Mark Hamill being so much older I can't say, but it gives us an idea of the time frame...unless, because of Hamill's age, they've changed the story a bit.

24. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    All we know is that it's an original story. We do not know exactly when it is set yet. It could also be set in 45 ABY, and not reference the EU at all, being as Luke's story is there currently.

I really want the EU to survive :(

25. SithLord_1270

Nov 5, 2008
    I was talking with someone at work about this. This person happens to b a member of the 501st. One question is how does this affect them? Or will it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.