main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Disney+ dependability poll

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Sarge, Nov 24, 2019.

?

How well does D+ work for you?

1. Perfect, 100% reliable with no delays ever

50.0%
  2. Very good, just an occasional delay

42.9%
  3. Good enough, it mostly works

7.1%
  4. 50/50, sometimes it works, maybe glitches

7.1%
  5. Doesn't work very often at all

5.4%
  6. Never works

1.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I had some trouble loading up the app this morning on my PS4

2. Saturn830

Saturn830 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 8, 2019
    I haven't had any full delays, but the first times I tried to watch each of the first two episodes of the Mandalorian the sound was out of sync and I had to restart the episode (which fixed the issue). Hasn't been a problem since that first week. The D+ app has frozen in a blue screen of death a couple of times and required me to restart my television, but that could be the tv.

3. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    I've experienced a bug, twice in the past week or so. When opening the app on an AppleTV, if I'm not careful how I click or swipe the touch remote, audio from the previous title I watched will play during the new title I select. Closing and reopening the app does not resolve the problem. The only course of action is to let the previous title play through to the end. Luckily, the first time I experienced it, it was a half-finished episode of The Clone Wars. The second time was a half-finished episode of Silver Surfer. Both short times to wait for the audio to play through, luckily. Perhaps when I start up the AppleTV, there's an option to continue watching what I was previously watching, and I inadverently tap it while swiping down to open the Disney+ app, thus having audio playing in a secondary hidden tab that I can't access.

Also, there's something not right about the Disney+ watchlist (queue). Not all of the titles that I have added to my queue show up in the playlist. On the AppleTV app, there are numerous duplicates of titles I have added that show up in the playlist, and I don't have duplicates when I open the playlist on a FireStick.
    I search for titles I know I previously added to my playlist, and the icon shows the check-mark icon, indicating that I have already added it to my playlist, yet it doesn't show up in my playlist.
    I have resorted to writing down titles of shows and movies in a 2"x3" paper notebook, since the app's playlist is buggy. My own little TV Guide. Kind of reminds me of writing passwords for Metroid and Kid Icarus.

4. icqfreak

icqfreak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 1999
    It seems to mostly work on our two firesticks, but it's god-awful on my PS4 (original model). Get lagging and/or freezing every few minutes no matter what I'm watching. I think part of the problem is the original PS4 can't access 5ghz wifi so it's connection speed isn't super high, but I still seem to do fine with Netflix and other streaming services.

It's unfortunate as the best TV (as well as my surround sound) uses the PS4. Maybe I'll have to pick up a 3rd firetv stick if PS4 doesn't work better sometime soon.

5. Rebecca_Daniels

Rebecca_Daniels Force Ghost star 5

Sep 3, 2006
    I can barely get the app working on my phone (Samsung s9) but works perfectly on my Roku... except that about half the time any of the hard coded text is in French and there's no way to fix it one way or another. Seems to be an ongoing issue in Canada, thankfully the audio track is in English at least.

6. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    I've never had an issue with it. I can enter, search, enter an episode w/no issue.

7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    A few days ago I wanted to watch The Last Jedi. The opening crawl said something like, "Episode VIII: La Jedi Dernier." I closed that, tried again a few minutes later, and it came back in English.

8. Demsa Aztor

Demsa Aztor Jedi Master star 4

May 29, 2016
    A little glitch or two in the beginning, but otherwise, the service has been very good.

Btw, I'm so NOT tech savvy at all, but wondering how I can get the Disney+ app thing on my Smart TV, so I can actually watch it on the TV. lol . It's been my laptop for me.

9. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    I've actually tested this on three devices.

-Ipad: works 100% of the time.
    -Xbox One X: Works 100% of the time, looks amazing in 4k.
    -PS4 Pro: The only things that work are the D+ originals. Both Simpsons and Star Wars rebels stop every 30 seconds and freeze, forcing me to close the app. The Mandalorian also looks significantly more blurry and compressed than the xbox and iPad streams.

This really sucks, because I almost exclusively use my Ps4.

10. Siphonophore

Nov 13, 2003
    Yesterday I went to see see how many chapters of old-school Duck Tales there were.
    Scrolled sideways to see 66 episodes for Season 1. Scrolled down to Season 2, then scrolled sideways to see 30 episodes for Season 2. Scrolled down to Season 3, then scrolled sideways to see 5 episodes for Season 3. Scrolled back up, and Season 1 was gone. This has happened with another multiple-season show I scrolled through, where Season 1 discappears when scrolling back up to it. I then have to exit the title and select it again.

I also just encountered my third instance of having audio from a previous program play when I open the app. I had watched part of a Freemaker Adventures episode this morning, stopped it, then later opened the app, and now I can't stop the audio until the episode plays through to the end. So bizarre and a bit frustrating.

11. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    What device are you streaming Disney Plus from? Because I have an old Roku stick with the same problem, and I found out that it’s incompatible with Disney Plus. Luckily, I have other viewing options...

12. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I haven't posted in this thread in awhile, but I will say as I rewatch through the TCW episodes on D+, every so often the screen crashes when the episode is about to boot up and I get that silly Roku screen before it goes back to my home screen.

13. Siphonophore

Nov 13, 2003
    The phantom audio bug occurs on my Apple TV 4K. I also have a FireStick, which I opted to not use for The Mandalorian. Reason for that is I had experienced video lag with Netflix after installing the NBC Sports Gold app onto the FireStick. Maybe that app is not to blame for the lag, and maybe it wouldn't cause the same problem while watching The Mandalorian, but I decided to not take the chance.
    I'll see if there's an update for the Apple TV Disney+ app, but last time there was an update, it loaded automatically.

A question about the app on your Roku stick..... can you make a title play by pushing the play button when the 'play' icon is shown?
    On Apple TV, only the 'enter' button can make a title play from its menu. The play button only acts as a pause and play function while a title has been started by the enter button.
    I've been trying to be methodical about how I stop a title and exit the app or change the TV's source. I'm going to consistently stop the title by pressing pause/play, instead of just clicking either of the remote's two menu buttons.

The most recent occurence of the phantom audio didn't stop at the end of the Freemakers episode..... it continued through the following episode that autoplayed. I'm terrified by the thought of starting Season 1 of Duck Tales, only to have the phantom audio autoplay through 66 episodes. I will refrain from executing Order 66 Episodes of Duck Tales.
    From the moment I experienced this bug, all those weeks ago, not a day has gone by that I haven't thought of it. And now that I'm thinking about the bug again, I'm in agony. The closer I get to pausing a program, the worse it gets. The thought of not being able to listen to just one audio track..... I can't breathe. I'm haunted by the code that the developers should never have written. My heart is beating, hoping that this bug will not become a feature. It's in my very device, tormenting me. What can I do?! I will do anything that Disney asks.
    Bor, if you are suffering as much as I am, please tell me. Oh, right, you have other viewing options.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    Sarge likes this.
  14. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    I watch through Chromcasting on my TV but the Resume option never works for me. If I've watched a part of something and click on the Resume button in the app, it just starts the episode/movie over from the beginning.

15. Siphonophore

Nov 13, 2003
    The resume / restart feature needs to be improved. If I select The Mandalorian, then scroll down to the episode selection, there should be the option to resume or restart. As it is, there's only the option to play, which means it will start where I last stopped it, in some cases it's the end credits. I then return to the episodes menu, then the chapter has the options for resume or restart.
    It should be set up so that as you scroll through the episode selection, the hovered chapter will pop up above the chapter bar, with it's options for resume or restart, without needing to play, then jump back to the main selection.
    Also, the app's "Resume watching" bar should take you to the chapter selection, with options for resume / restart, instead of just forcing you to watch the episode you last watched. I've had to use the search bar to get to a show I was watching, because it's not on my watchlist, even though I did add it.

16. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I wish I could answer the question. But after downloading the Disney Plus app and using it for an hour (experiencing the same glitches you did), I logged out, logged back in, and the app disappeared. And now I can’t even download it. But that Roku stick is pretty old.

17. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Certainly ain’t getting my $ worth cause I can’t get this damn thing to work on Xbox anymore. Was all good when I first signed up in early Dec. now though since the turning of 2020 or not long afterwards I’m lucky if I get it a working stream. Will be shutting account down if they don’t care enough to offer quality service.

18. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Try it on FireTV(Amazon Firestick).

19. Darrin Williams

Darrin Williams Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 7, 2020
    The stream works fine for me but I do have 1 major gripe. When binging a series, say TCW for example, after watching the first episode I get the "play next episode" option, but after that second episode it's nowhere to be found. It will just keep play through the credits and stop on a black screen. So I have to back out to the homepage and manually search the next episode. Kinda irritating. Anyone else experiencing this?

20. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    Only had a few issues but it wasn't D+ related it was my Internet spazzing out.

21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    the PS4Pro app for me works mostly okay, it seems at the start of an episode or anything maybe 2 minutes in the image will freeze, but the audio will keep going but after about 10 seconds it resets itself and doesn't do it again. It's a weird quirk but I've gotten used to it. Today actually I found Clone Wars was playing better on the PS4 app than on my Android phone.

what I want to know is when the episodes go up at 3 AM, it seems to release in staggered across platforms instead of all at once. Like I've seen Mando eps hit at 3 AM on the Android app but then it isn't on the PS4Pro app until 4 AM. I haven't watched a new episode at 3 AM since the last episode of Mando on Dec 27th, though, maybe it got fixed by now.