main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian Disney Gallery BTS Docuseries

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Fredrik Vallestrand, Apr 15, 2020.

1. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Loved seeing Plo’s head on Like. Most surprising was that Luke’s voice was completely synthesized. Would’ve thought they just…de-age the voice.

God this makes me miss Mando. Only 12 or so weeks until Boba and we’ve got Visions in a few as well. Are we also supposed to be getting something called Droids or something this year? Haven’t heard anything so I’m guessing not.

2. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    There’s an animated film called A Droid Story but it’s not releasing this year.

3. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    [face_laugh] I wonder what kind of mental gymnastic people on the internet will do to distort his words now.
    [​IMG]

4. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018

I love Jon's inner childhood when Dave mentions R2 and he drew R2 and Grogu.

5. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    That seemed like alot of work to bring Luke to life. Hamill doing the scene. Stand in doing the scene. face scan of hamill doing the scene. and then mix them together with deep fake.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
  6. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I suppose nobody could question that KK is a great producer.
    What is different now for The Mandalorian is that she decided to have Favreau and Filoni oversee and make the directors adhere to the big picture of the story.

7. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Welp, so many more interesting narrative avenues that could have been pursued here.

- Plo Koon
    - Saving Ahsoka for the finale
    - Mando and Grogu discovering the home planet of the Yodlings (my personal preference)!

Alas, we're left with doppelgänger Skywalker. Funny enough, I actually thought those deepfake tests looked more convincing than the de-aging. And the AI software used for replicating Hamill's speech also added to the creepiness. Sure it sounds like Luke, but would Hamill have made the same monotone vocal choices? I doubt it. It's indicative to me that Reed cautioned not to allow Luke to entirely usurp the true emotional climax of the series, and yet this episode spent barely two minutes actually discussing the farewell between Din and Grogu.

Maybe instead of pursuing all the arduous work of creating doppelgänger Skywalker, they should have just kept the Channing Tatum lookalike Max as is, and insisted it was Luke all along.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  8. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    I think we'll be seeing a Book of Boba teaser/trailer soon if the music cue they chose to close the documentary with has any particular meaning to it. Because that was pretty darn weird and jarring.

9. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Considering the amount of love that the Luke scene, and now this BTS episode, has gotten I'd say they made the right call.

10. ewoksimon

Oct 26, 2009
    No doubt I'm in the minority on this. No worries, though. I've already made the Calrissian Compromise:

I don't like it.
    I don't agree with it.
    But I accept it.

19nazzy, LedReader, Riv_Shiel and 3 others like this.
  11. Reepicheep775

Reepicheep775 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2019
    This was a delight to watch. I'm so happy that Mark Hamill was able to play a version of Luke closer to his vision of the character before hanging up the robes for good. Seeing him wearing Luke's costume without the digital effects was kind of surreal, like seeing a live action version of EU Luke.

My only wish is that we got more information about Luke's fighting style. They started talking about how his fighting style is different to Ahsoka's and I was hoping they'd go deeper into that, but I guess I'm just a lightsaber nerd.:-B
    I thought the same while watching the deepfake tests. Some of those looked closer to Mark Hamill than the finished product. It reminds me of how 90s computer animation, though less detailed and sophisticated, looks more tangible, more there.

I disagree on the voice though. I still think it's perfection. It sounds like the more stoic RotJ Luke where his voice was a little more monotone compared to the first two films.

12. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I wound't be mad if this was just Mark Hamill's last hurrah and we got our Luke recast for more episodes in this new actor for Luke.

13. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    The guy who created those deepfakes was recently hired by Lucasfilm, thanks to his work on deepfake Luke, and many others on his channel.

Master_Lok, RetropME, 2Cleva and 2 others like this.
  14. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Luke, Leia, Han and Lando, will all get deepfakes in coming shows post OT.

15. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I would too, if they still used technology to make him look and sound like Mark Hamill. Yes, that's definitely weird, but for the completely selfish reason that I want Luke to always look and sound the same, that's what I want.
    If Hamill is OK with that, of course.
    If he isn't, then I'd be fine if this was the last appearance of Luke in live action.

16. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I'm probaly wrong and they continnue to deepfake, Luke, Leia, Tarkin and others. As LFL cares about them lookings the same as they did when last we saw them.

17. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    I also thought the deep fakes shown looked better but they were only static or short WIPs so no telling if the final product would’ve been better than the de-aging techniques.

I thought they might mention the guy they recently hired or the touch ups to the finale they also did but it’s fine. I would’ve also loved just some small snippets from the cast’s perspective of the finale - it was clearly Pedro’s best work so far.

Grey Matter and Riv_Shiel like this.
  18. ewoksimon

Oct 26, 2009
    Yeah, it's more than a little surprising that nothing was included from Pedro's perspective. This was easily the most emotional moment for Din in the entire series to this point, and the most insight we get is that it should feel like the ending to E.T. Ok great, but what about the story choices and the acting choices that led to this moment? More of that please.

19. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    Seen a few people talking about how silly it would be to bring Plo Koon back as if it was ever a real possibility. :rolleyes:

20. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Hey, Plo Koon can survive ANYTHING.
    Because he's secretly Batman.

21. DarthKegs

DarthKegs Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 21, 2019
    Biggest revelation for me was Luke's voice being created digitally. That now puts to bed my fear of Darth Vader being used after JEJ is no longer able to do the voice.

Lulu Mars and VexedAtVohai like this.
  22. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I was very surprised they did not include anything with Pedro either. As awesome as seeing Luke in his prime is, Pedro delivered that utterly beautiful, heartbreaking moment so perfectly. I wanted a little time with him to discuss that.

The creation of Luke was very interesting, but more saber fighting style etc. would have been fun to see. I am glad Mark had a chance to come back.

I enjoyed this.

23. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    I was already fine with the approach taken for Luke, but the insight here made me appreciate it even more. It's kind of fitting, too, that these two seasons are bookended with big reveals.

Yeah, that was an interesting moment (sounds like the ending score from The Marshal). I still think a teaser would likely come after Visions, but this makes me wonder.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2021
  24. mackmitchell94

mackmitchell94 Jedi Knight

Jan 15, 2016
    Yes!! Exactly, the deep fakes imho looked way better then the CG de-aging. While I was watching I was dumbfounded they made it so much worse trying to de-age, and then gave it the thumbs up. It could just be because they didn’t have a lot of time. The good thing is they’ll learn how to do it better in the future . As Ric says, they did recently hire a guy who IMO made a deep fake Luke much better then LF on YouTube without all that Disney money . I can’t understand why they’d do that unless they wanted to utilize deep faking in the future. Perhaps Luke will show up again in the Ahsoka series or Mando season 3!!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
  25. Grizzlor

Grizzlor Jedi Master star 1

Mar 14, 2015
    Saw the BTS episode, which was tremendously well done. I was stunned and annoyed that they literally showed their deep fake tests, which even in primitive form looked 500x better than the de-aging they did. I truly don't understand why they didn't go that route.

The vocal AI was not a surprise, though they did not say whether Hamill was allowed to read the lines and the AI was applied to that, or it's simply AI from the get go. If so, that's another downer.