main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian Disney Gallery BTS Docuseries

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Fredrik Vallestrand, Apr 15, 2020.

1. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    The latest episode, Practical, was quite interesting, especially with the different iterations of Baby Yoda.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    So much great stuff happening on this show. Wonderful episode. And Baby Yoda is an absolute masterpiece. Werner was completely floored. Cowards! Lol.

3. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    I didn't realize it was a group of people moving the puppet in concert, so kudos to those folks! And as with last week's episode, I was fascinated with the discussion about what Lucas and co. did, and how the crews have pulled from that for these recent titles. For instance, I never thought about moving the star field before. Cool stuff!

Bor Mullet likes this.
  4. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I know it likely won’t happen because it’s too early but a trailer for season 2 would be a brilliant way to close this series out. Or even a BTS video like we got for the films.

Anyway, this was another great episode. Baby Yoda is the hero we need. :D

5. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    More Star wars content. keeping Fans on Disney+. stops fans from watching in one day and then canceling.

Grey Matter likes this.
  6. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    While think a trailer at the end would be a perfect tease I think they’re going to hold all their cards until Celebration. Would LOVE to be wrong though!

Speaking of Celebration, has that been cancelled yet? Last I heard they were weighing their options but nothing since. Maybe they think they’ve weathered the storm so to speak and it will go ahead with social distancing etc. I don’t know how that’d work since x amount of people have got tickets and the venue could logistically only host y amount of guests.

7. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I think it would be pretty much impossible (not to mention totally irresponsible) to hold a traditional Celebration. Having thousands of people from over the world inside a single venue during a pandemic is probably the worst idea in the history of bad ideas. If it isn’t outright cancelled I think a virtual Celebration is the best we can hope for.

DarthRosie and Bor Mullet like this.
  8. rumblewagon

Sep 24, 2004
    Such good stuff the latest BTS episode: Process. Amazing how much animation they use to create the episodes. Right in Filoni's wheelhouse.

Lord-Skywalker and Bor Mullet like this.
  9. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    There is not going to be an in-person SW Celebration, nor should there be.

DarthRosie and rumblewagon like this.
  10. Lord-Skywalker

Lord-Skywalker Hangman Host/ 17X Wacky Wed Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Jul 8, 2002
    In an age where the public needs to know every little thing, Favreau/Filoni do not disappoint with the BTS content.

DarthRosie and rumblewagon like this.
  11. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    The 4th and 5th episodes have been my favourites so far. I was blown away by the Volume. Technology sure has come a long way. I always thought Nick Nolte was in the proesthetic too for Kuiil and found a visual way to make him shorter but he's only the voice :eek:

Lord-Skywalker likes this.
  12. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    I can’t wait for next week. I’m itching for some insight into the amazing music. I dream of a David W. Collins podcast on the subject.

13. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    The episode about the volume and how they previz an entire episode before shooting was really cool. Interesting notion that Favs wanted to shoot the show like superhero movie reshoots, where people just bang it out ASAP. Tika Watiti explaining how they do stuff much faster in the reshoot period was really funny. also hey 19 minutes running time I appreciated.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
  14. smudger9

May 29, 2007
    This workflow should mean that the delays to Cassian and Kenobi because of coronavirus are minimal. The actual shooting period is really short, with most done digitally, which can continue during lockdown.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  15. rumblewagon

Sep 24, 2004
    I'm surprised at how emotional I got watching the latest BTS episode: Score. The composer, Ludwig Göransson, is amazingly talented and watching him experiment with different musical instruments was fascinating. It's incredible how much the score of a show can transfer feeling and emotion into what you are watching.

16. smudger9

May 29, 2007
    Best episode so far.

17. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Best score of the Disney Star Wars era. By far. No contest.

Ludwig is a genius. The perfect person to break the suffocating tradition of orchestral-only scores. This is the kind of creativity Lucas was all about.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  18. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I find myself humming the main theme even when I’m not watching the show. That’s the sign of a great SW score for me.

19. Lord-Skywalker

Lord-Skywalker Hangman Host/ 17X Wacky Wed Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Jul 8, 2002
    Another amazing episode, Ludwig is indeed a genius. Love the John Williams footage as well.
    Final installment next week, I really believe Favreau and Filoni are going to send us out with a teaser for season 2. Wishful thinking.

Grey Matter and Bor Mullet like this.
  20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yah the main Mandalorian theme is fantastic and this episode reinforced that

rumblewagon likes this.
  21. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    Was glad to see a nod to Ennio Morricone is this episode. I mean it's obvious to anyone familiar with his work in film that he was an influence but when I watched the part about Goransson playing what he had composed on the set thru his phone ... that was a tiny joy. Sergio Leone would have Morricone compose the score first and have it played on set during shooting to give the actors a sense of what they were a part of.

I'm really happy with what Goransson has done with the score for this show. It didn't take long for it to soak into my bones and take it's place among the Star Wars themes than randomly pop into my head unannounced.

BigAl6ft6 and Grey Matter like this.
  22. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    I love how this one started, with just Göransson playing those different instruments for what pieced together into the main theme. And just like music itself, one can understand and appreciate that without an explanation. It's akin to what Williams did at a time when orchestral scores were uncommon, and I think there's a bit of Ben Burtt in the experimentation, especially in the highlighted piece for The Prisoner (that was quite the hardware setup). Having all those pieces noted (no pun intended) as they were here was a nice touch, and I gained much more appreciation for the score. Also, I'm fascinated to see how musicians work -- the space and equipment they use, what kind of sound they want to achieve and how, etc. -- so this episode could've gone for an hour. :)

I disagree somewhat with what Favreau said about this musically being an "offshoot" of Star Wars, unless I misunderstood him. I think there's plenty of stylistic, as well as literal, space in that world, and Göransson's work fits just fine. It is its own thing, it is different. But then, so is a good amount of what Kevin Kiner did.

GregMcP likes this.
  23. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    I think Kiner did the best extension/expansion of the Williams stuff, and had lots of space to play that out. The R1 and Solo scores were okay, but just kinda "there", and it seems like R1 in particular would have been a great place to dive into another vibe like Mando eventually would. Who would have thought that completely jettisoning the old themes would get us the most iconic new SW music in forever? Well, obvious in hindsight, and they found the right guy. The Favreau/Filoni instincts just seem so perfectly dialed in.

24. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    8's out!

25. smudger9

May 29, 2007
    And it was the best one! So much love and thought went into this series. Dave and John make a great team.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DarthRosie likes this.