main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Books Disney reported to be refusing to pay royalties to Alan Dean Foster

Discussion in 'Literature' started by fett 4, Nov 18, 2020.

1. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    Have IX involve even more Palpatine clones and have an even weirder retcon for Rey? Yaaay.

...but yeah, all in all it still sucks, they're withholding a relative pittance. I imagine this might be some mid-level legal department trying to justify themselves by saying they saved the company a few pennies.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
    Vialco and Kalio_Dynkos like this.
  2. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Here is a revelation from ADF about Rey/Finn romance he was told to cut.

Here is the full article

https://comicbook.com/movies/news/s...hor-alan-dean-foster-remove-finn-rey-romance/

That is OLD news, as in a year old I don;t know why CBR are reporting it now, unless they are looking for click bait that won't upset the mouse.
    Here is a review of it from just as TRoS Was coming out. But yes it is bad.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
  3. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    It's a crappy thing that Disney has done but trying to piss them off might not be helping the situation. He should've just continued like he was doing, trying to gain support to eventually, hopefully force Disney to pay him his well earned money. Trying to spite them isn't the best strategy here.

Vialco likes this.
  4. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Since Dis refused to even TALK with him without an NDA I don't think he see's many other options.

fett 4 and Jedi Ben like this.
  5. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    To be clear, he should get paid the royalties owed him. I just wasn't sure where to post that crap pitch but here. I had no idea it was already out in the wild.

IG: @jedisufism

6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm suspecting some rather malign motives in websites suddenly reposting it now, the timing is rather dodgy.

7. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    No worries, I didn't think you were doing anything untoward.

Perhaps, I doubt Dis is paying for anything, either they want clicks or curry favour with the mouse.

Dawud786 likes this.
  8. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    What do you mean by that? I can't see how there's anything malignant about this whole situation. The underlying principle here is a disagreement on the law. It's really something that the courts should settle. If Disney required to pay these royalties by law, then they should do it. If they're not, then whoever does hold the obligation should pay it instead.

Gharlane likes this.
  9. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    The motive is clicks. ADF is in the news, so reposting another article about him will entice people who weren’t paying attention the first time around to click in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Outsourced, AusStig and Sly442 like this.
  10. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    What should be the case is what you describe but law can be undermined by recourse to info other than facts. Thus tarnish the reputation, make it look like this is an ungrateful individual. It's dirty PR.

Plus Disney don't have to do anything themselves here, they can rely on the internet being the Internet - Humanity's worst tendencies.

11. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    His Episode IX pitch is bonkers, but I’m fairly sure it’s somewhat of a joke; his way of expressing his opinion on Episode VIII.

What I am intrigued by is what sort of insider knowledge he had while writing the Episode VII novelization. One of the article’s headlines seems deceptive, because in the actual quotations it sounds like the hints at a Finn-Rey romance were his own addition into the story, which he was asked to remove.

But still, he had to have had some more info on potentially where Abrams was planning on taking things, or what some of those vague hints may have meant in TFA. For example, it’s curious that in his Episode IX pitch, he also made Snoke a clone, and this was before TROS came out. He also had him being around during the Clone Wars, which matches up with some of the hints his novelization had.

Some of this, if not most, is possibly just his invention. But like I said, it is intriguing.

AusStig likes this.
  12. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    just read his opinion on TLJ =D=

13. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    According to a Facebook post by James Kahn from nearly a week ago, Disney just recently paid him the royalties he was owed for his Return of the Jedi novelization.

Not sure what this means for other authors, but he does mention in a comment on the post "Unfortunately some of the other authors haven't had such a sweet outcome yet - hope Dis does the right thing by everybody."

I searched his profile for the word "royalties" and the only other result was from December, when he shared the WSJ article and said "#Disney hasn't paid me any royalties for Return of the Jedi or Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom since it bought
    Lucasfilm 6 years ago. I'm trying to get what they owe me, but I feel like Luke going up against the Empire. Our best leverage is a public outcry of social media protest."

Donald F. Glut commented on that December post saying "What's weird, though, is that while Disney stopped paying me royalties for EMPIRE STRIKE BACK since taking over the franchise, they DO keep paying me for royalties on my Marvel comics, TV animation, etc. work."

14. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    With Donald F Glut's statement, it definitely makes me suspect there was some odd licensing language in the early Del Rey era.

I can't remember, was this a problem for any of the Bantam or later Del Rey authors?

15. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013

I only just now read his ideas in the above links article.

A Rey-boter? As a Droid Rights Activists I am intrigued.. but the rest sounds weird. Is there a full pitch to be read anyplace?

16. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Stackpole and Denning both mentioned on Twitter that they were still receiving royalties --- the only issue Stackpole had was with his Dark Horse comics.

Also, I sent an unsolicited message to L. Neil Smith on Facebook a few months ago but never got a response, but just now I searched his profile for the word "royalties" and found this comment from twelve weeks ago (edited for swears):

"I had pretty much thev same battle and figure they owe me at least 50 or 60n thousand dollars. They didn't pay me any royalties at all until I threatened to sue them,. Then they paid me a niggling 9 thousand, It wasn't Disney back then. It was LucasFilm and Del Rey. The whole lot are thieving b******s."

So he's saying that his issue was pre-Disney, which is odd. But the firm "screw the man" mentality of his post fits like a glove with the rest of his aggressively, aggressively libertarian Facebook page --- be careful checking it out; it's like a car wreck from which you just can't look away.

jSarek likes this.
  17. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Bummer, I have really fond memories of the Lando books.

18. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    I'll avoid looking. Lol

CooperTFN likes this.
  19. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    The Lando books are pretty much the only thing he's ever written that aren't "aggressively libertarian." Look up the plot summary to The Probability Breach.

jSarek and Sinrebirth like this.
  20. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    Yup! In his blog, scroll down to the May 1, 2018 for his treatment.

ColeFardreamer likes this.
  21. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013

Thx! I read it all now and must say, I prefer the IX we got. But having read it I do not think he meant it as a joke at all. In fact, I am surprised at how many paralells there are to Trevorow's script Duel of the Fates regarding the Coruscant bits. Also some of Fosters ideas seem to directly have inspired TROS even. Either it is a weird case of Co-incidence and authors coming up with the same basic ideas, or they took some of his pitch into consideration but not all of it. That he wrote it 2018 is interesting also, given how far along IX was at this point. Some ideas are crazy, sure but I like this alternate version for some other reasons and might discuss it in more detail in the IX topic to not derail this one.

Sauron_18 and AusStig like this.
  22. Quinnocent-Till-Sith

Quinnocent-Till-Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 21, 2004
    https://www.alandeanfoster.com/version2.0/updatesframe.htm

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
  23. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Finally. Disney were awful . If I was any other writer I'd be real careful before deciding to work for them after all this

Nom von Anor and Vialco like this.
  24. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Good to hear this. I hope details are indeed forthcoming, and that such details include an even-handed and thorough discussion of the cause of the dispute and the actual legal issues involved.

25. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    Even that little statement from Foster is as well written as his literary work! He sure has a way with words.

blackmyron and Sinrebirth like this.