main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Books Disney reported to be refusing to pay royalties to Alan Dean Foster

Discussion in 'Literature' started by fett 4, Nov 18, 2020.

1. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Yeah, and that wasn't okay. (Lots of things that go on between Disney and China are not okay, but that's well outside the scope of this thread.)

AusStig, QuinlanSolo and Riv_Shiel like this.
  2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    This reads to me like he's talking about TLJ's big Reylo focus. Maybe they didn't know exactly how it would end up but TLJ would have been far enough along at that point that they knew it was the likelier path and didn't want him to suggest otherwise.

3. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I will say... it doesn't help that their original plan had Poe as Rey's love interest in the third film, at the time Foster was writing the first novel. The mentality at that time, in retrospect, seems to be that Disney wanted anything except Finn.

4. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    That was Trevorrow's plan, but probably not the original plan.

5. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    And thankfully it was turned away from. Actually, I take that back; anything which adds to the implied polycyle among the ST cast works for me. chuckles drily

I must say I find Alan's TFA unnecessarily thesaurusy... which makes it super-dry... I am overdue a reread.

6. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    So this has ended Disney will pay Alan and other authors their royalties. Still really ****** this needed to be a problem in the first place.

VexedAtVohai and Jedi Ben like this.
  7. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    Only not really because there's still the other authors and comic writers who still haven't gotten paid

Jedi Ben likes this.
  8. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Can someone please change this clunky and now-outdated thread title? Something like "SW author royalty disagreements" perhaps? That way saintly Lucasfilm/Disney isn't being accused of any wrongdoing that hasn't been explicitly found to be true by the Supreme Court or whatever, so as not to offend them into shutting down the forum in retaliation (?), but in a more concise manner that doesn't look like the thread title was written by a committee of three lawyers and five executives?

Last edited: May 12, 2021
    Jedi Ben likes this.
  9. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I second author royalties disagreement or something along those lines

Jedi Ben likes this.
  10. VexedAtVohai

Jul 4, 2020
    I'd say the title should still make it clear that this situation is not okay. Let's not "both sides" this thing - maybe have an "allegedly" in there.

11. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    No that would be stupid to. I might be a Disney shill, but I am not that much of a shill. I think author royalty disagreements is good as the Alan Dean foster situation has been solved for now. He no longer needs to be in the title is my point. No there is definitely a bad guy here.

12. VexedAtVohai

Jul 4, 2020
    I just find it odd to refer to it as a "disagreement". It's a euphemism that downplays things in one party's favour, rather than an accurate representation of the situation, in my opinion. I agree on no longer having ADF's name in the title though.

It needs to be accurate, without being emotive, but the truth isn't always impartial.

Triad Moons likes this.
  13. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    "Dispute," perhaps? Fair bit stronger than "disagreement."

VexedAtVohai likes this.
  14. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Dispute?

Star Wars

Episode X
    THE CORPORATE MENACE

It is a diffcult time for authors everywhere. Royalties on stories written for Lucasfilm are in dispute.

15. Triad Moons

Triad Moons Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 14, 2020
    • "Disney Withholds Royalties from 'Star Wars' Novelists"
    • "'Star Wars' Book Royalties Withheld from Authors by Disney",
    • "Classic 'Star Wars' Novelist(s) Claim Disney Is Withholding Royalties"
    Are some titles I came up with on the fly.

Hamburger_Time and VexedAtVohai like this.
  16. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    It's also comics.

17. Triad Moons

Jan 14, 2020
    Ah. So, something more generalized like "Disney Withholding Royalties from 'Star Wars' Writers" would probably work better?

AusStig likes this.
  18. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Sounds good to me. Also throw the word "allegedly" in there since Disney hasn't confirmed anything as of yet, no matter how many people are taking action.

19. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Bleeding Cool News: Disney to Pay Star Wars Novelists Alan Dean Foster And More

"The #DisneyMustPay task force has announced that Alan Dean Foster, James Kahn, and Donald F. Glut, the novelization authors of the original Star Wars trilogy, have resolved their royalties' issues and will be paid by Disney.

"Now the International Association of Media Tie-In Writers (IAMTW), the International Thriller Writers, and Mystery Writers of America have joined the Task Force, with Lee Goldberg, writer and founder of IAMTW, joining Neil Gaiman, Tess Gerritsen, Mary Robinette Kowal, and Chuck Wendig. They state 'Authors continue to contact the Task Force looking for help. Writers who are missing royalties or royalty statements may fill out this form hosted by SFWA. Anonymity is guaranteed.' More on the fight, and those affected, can be read at the WritersMustBePaid.org website."

"'Since we launched the Task Force, progress has been made; we are pleased that a few writers have been paid,' said Kowal. 'However, we do notice the difference in how the lower profile writers are being treated. We should not still be having the discussion about honoring their contracts.'"

The article also links to another one from Bleeding Cool:

Boom Studios Cited in #DisneyMustPay Legal Fight, Over Buffy Comics

20. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    So good to see the comics industry continues to treat its members very, very badly.

TrandoJedi and Triad Moons like this.
  21. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    The inconsistent reporting on this situation continues to be baffling. News outlets were happy to uncritically repeat SFWA's claim that Disney is "the publisher" of ADF's Star Wars and Alien work without a moment's worth of research or examination, but then this business with Dark Horse Comics and Boom! Studios requires a thorough examination of who owns what, how licensing and royalties work, and so on. Where was this kind of deep dive when it came to figuring out the interactions between 45-year-old publishing contracts, IP licensing, and royalty payments that led us here in the first place? While I'm very happy to see ADF and others begin to get what they're owed, the reporting on this matter overall has left an awful lot to be desired.

22. Triad Moons

Jan 14, 2020
    "Disney Allegedly Withholding Royalties from 'Star Wars' and Other Media-Tie in Writers"

AusStig and JediFett10 like this.