main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Diversity In the New Saga [See OP Warning]

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Pro Scoundrel , Nov 20, 2016.

1. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    Don't...waitresses (and *waiters* for that matter) usually have less than two minutes of screentime in a movie if they're not one of the leads? And generally don't really serve much significant plot purpose? And do they have to, if they're not one of the story's protagonists?

As far as Blunt's character, she pretty clearly corrects her mistakes in the alt-timeline by the movie's conclusion. And yeah, she's "saved" in a direct sense, but she also basically does equal part "saving" of her own, in fixing the prior mistakes and ensuring the kid doesn't go all omnipotent mafia don in the new timeline.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  2. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    It still leaves much to be desired. I just don't understand what people mean when they say that Rian Johnson is a "progressive" force in Hollywood. He's not. Joker was more anti-capitalist than Rian Johnson's "anti-capitalist" message, which smacked more of nihilism and "both sides" fallacy than being truly progressive or leftist or what have you. Other than that, Rian Johnson didn't give Finn or Rose anything to really do (aside from their subplot being downright boring) and so it's hard to take those characters seriously, in my honest opinion.

But regardless, I think we should stop talking about the guy before we risk derailing the thread.

While it isn't exactly the diversity we're talking about, I wouldn't mind more characters with accents, like Mads Mikkelsens'. Besides, it only makes sense in a huge galaxy. People would, quite simply, have different accents, including humans. I like the idea of more actors that aren't from the Anglosphere (Britain, America, Canada, Australia, etc.) playing characters in future works.

3. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    Where's any "anti-capitalist" message in any of Johnson's movies?

Knives Out isn't portraying those people negatively because they're rich/have profited through the market, rather because their priorities are all out of whack and they're basically contemptible people. TLJ's stuff with DJ and Rose alike isn't attacking capitalism per se, rather corruption and ruthless/selfish people doing the wrong thing. Ostensibly the New Republic was still operating on capitalist principles too during the good years.

Accents, I guess could be seen as a way of branching out, sure. Kinda seems there's more range in that in the ST/anthologies so far than the older stuff anyway. Schmi's about the only human character not sounding British or American in the Fox era stuff, we've at least got a few more options lately.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  4. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
  5. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    Methinks "rational" and "subjective" might be mixed up in the ol' vocabulary there.

6. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I agree with the critique of his past films regarding treatment of female characters. But Ana de Armas is the strongest character in Knive’s Out, and excellently written. I don’t ascribe to this “cancel culture” idea that someone’s past automatically invalidates their present and future. People can learn and change. And we need to be open to that. RJ has improved.

That said, I think Lucasfilm should focus on excellent female and POC directors like Chow and Famuyiwa who’ve delivered excellent material straight away. No reason to keep giving white male directors second chances when there’s so much other talent out there.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
  7. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Quite frankly, I find this whole idea rather stupid to begin with. There is exactly one thing they should base their decisions for a role in a production in, and that is whether they think the person has shown the necessary talent to get the job done. Chow and Famuyiwa have indicated what they are capable of, which is why giving them a chance with something bigger is only logical. But that doesn't somehow mean that if a talented white male director came up with a great idea for a story, that Lucasfilm should ignore him based on being a white male.

Every person has to be judged based on his or her own merits, not on what the gender or skin colour is. Not choosing someone due to the person being a white male, and not because he isn't good enough or because someone else is clearly better, isn't any better than denying the chance to a woman, person of colour, or both. Somehow I doubt that Chow or Famuyiwa would be all that thrilled if them getting chosen for a job would be based on their gender or skin colour and not on them being excellent directors. Generally, people prefer to be chosen based on their skills and accomplishments, and not on whether some detail about them that is completely out of their hands fits right in to fulfill some sort of quota.

Jedi Knight Fett and StarYogi like this.
  8. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018

Whoa man, that's crazy talk. This shall not stand! :p

9. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Apparently neither of you read closely enough. The point Bor was making was about the industry ignoring talent that has proven itself, and continuously giving jobs to directors who've done poor jobs, because they are the default white male choice.

See, it's right here.
    But, I know. Reading comprehension? "Whoa man, that's crazy talk. This shall not stand!"

10. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Thanks Pro. Though I’ve long since abandoned the expectation that people actually read what I say. :)

11. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    We usually figure it's along the lines of "Something, something, I don't like Marvel, something, something". :)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  12. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I don’t think that’s entirely fair. However, I do believe that something, something, I don’t like Marvel, something, something, and most people would agree.

13. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018

This is nonsense. There are plenty of successful female/person-of-color directors out there getting steady work.

You provide a product people eat up & love, nobody cares what you look like or what's in your pants. That goes for movies, music, comedy, whatever it may be. For every minority director getting knocked back/rejected for gigs, there are the same amount of white straight dudes in the same position.

You deliver the goods? You're working and getting praised for it. Any woman churns out some Kathryn Bigelow-quality piece, she's not going unnoticed. You're a black guy putting out stuff on Ryan Coogler's level, recognition's incoming.

14. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    We already know that you don't think an issue exists, and that everything works exactly as it should, and that this thread shouldn't exist. Others disagree, and are here to discuss what they feel the problems are and how it could be improved. If you want to join in the discussion, do so by adding something besides your usual smart-ass snark. The staff is beyond tired of it. Actually refute points with evidence that supports your counterpoint. Have an actual discussion.
    Comments like
    do nothing but antagonize, and don't add a thing to the discussion.

15. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I mean, it’s no secret that the film industry has not been giving equal opportunities to woman and poc, especially when it comes to directing big blockbuster films. The vast majority of blockbusters, both in the past and present have been directed by white guys.

Just because you can name a couple examples of successful woman and poc directors doesn’t change that.

16. StarYogi

StarYogi Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2005
    Equality of opportunity should be absolutely guaranteed among all races, backgrounds. But the idea that there needs to be a pre-determined top-down requirement for hiring artists based on their race or ethnicity seems utterly bizarre and more like a subtle insult toward their actual talent. It sounds like a subtle form of racism.

17. StarYogi

Nov 18, 2005
    I think there is indeed good evidence that there's a lack of equal opportunity in Hollywood. Hollywood is run by a "billionaire's boys club" of insiders and most of the time it's "who you know" that determines whether you get the job. The most successful are the ones with the best connections. Yeah, I'm sure a lot of those insiders happen to be white, but this idea that "white guy" artists as a whole now need to be consciously and deliberately rejected in favor of other races is bizarre. Why do we need to insist on categorizing artists according to race at all?

18. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Well, that's not what people are asking for. They're saying don't ignore the talented people that might not fall into your usual hiring practices. But it's amazing how often that gets twisted into "Get rid of all the white guys" by people who either won't understand the point or are willfully trying to mis-characterize it because they don't want anything to change.

Also, don't double post. Especially to make the same incorrect point.

19. StarYogi

Nov 18, 2005
    The thing that's been the most noticeable recently is that some of the people in charge of running this website are clearly singling out and categorizing whites as being, acting, and thinking in certain predictable ways and patterns, and it's really starting to piss some of us off. But then again I'm just an ignorant white guy who doesn't deserve to have an opinion on these matters, as has been made clear on a number of threads. Thank you to all for that important reminder, and by all means, keep putting labels, categories, and sub-categories on people so that we can maintain as much division as possible here among fans.

20. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Okay, a fellow white guy here, and one who’s demographic identification in terms of marketing is probably about as WASP as you could get, let me point this out-

The argument is not “We need to put a moratorium on all white guys on everything to get non-white non-guys their fair share.”

The argument is “People who select who gets to do (the things we’re talking about) are on average white males more used to picking white males, without racist intent, and are therefore accidentally blocking off the statistically probable number of non-white non-guys who are capable of producing high quality material, as well as accidentally and ‘benignly’ repeating and limiting the roles that POCs and women can get, which reinforces the stereotypes and limitations, all without meaning to.”

The entire point is not a coordinated conspiracy that needs a coordinated conspiracy to stop it or something like that, with everyone fitting into categories that are martial led against each other... the point is that the system has unfortunate and accidental weaknesses that are going to require more “risk-taking” on “unknowns” because the statistics right now, without conscience effort, show people limiting themselves because of what their instinctual decision making is... which may require consciously seeking non-white candidates, but still doesn’t guarantee success.

To use American football as an example, the NFL’s Rooney rule was meant to increase the chances of hiring quality non-white head coaches. It’s impact has been debatable, because even with the requirements to interview non-white coaches, it’s notable that NFL owners still seem more likely to hire white guys... and sometimes in dubious ways.

I mean, Eric Bienemy and Robert Saleh both seem like they should have an NFL coaching job before multiple new coaching hires this year. No one’s consciously choosing to exclude them... but there’s a good chance that a simple and unintentional bias is making them seem less ideal.

21. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Nope, you're still completely missing the point. And I too am "just an ignorant white guy". But nice try playing the victim card in lieu of a counterpoint.
    This I absolutely agree with. The disagreement is whether or not this is actually happening. Some people think it already is, and some think it isn't but should be. That's all anyone is saying.

22. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    edit, like the other’s above said, you don’t speak for all white guys. I’m also a white guy and I have no idea wtf you are talking about? Where has anyone here suggested that white guys need to be ‘consciously and deliberately rejected’?

That’s not what equal opportunity means.

23. StarYogi

Nov 18, 2005
    Nice try pretending I'm playing the victim card when I'm actually making a completely verifiable observation. Search recent threads and you will see for yourself opinions being rudely dismissed because they are coming from a white person.

24. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm here everyday, I don't have to search. Opinions are being argued against when they're badly supported and/or uninformed. That's how all debates happen. And you are playing the victim card with "just an ignorant white guy" type comments. I'm white. I don't know what color anybody else is behind the avatars in here, and I don't care. If someone makes a bad point, or is mis-characterizing someone else's point, they're going to get called on it. This debate isn't that difficult. You either think Hollywood has fair and equal hiring practices or you don't. Many don't and are pointing out why. Then we have a few who come in and try to make it about an attack on white people, which is about as ridiculous as it gets. Nobody wants white filmmakers to go away. Most of my favorite filmmakers are white guys. They want Hollywood to ALSO give non-white filmmakers a chance. Again, that's all.

25. StarYogi

Nov 18, 2005
    I'm not a troll and I generally try to stick to positive topics and avoid controversial ones. I made a mistake by clicking on a couple of those threads that I would normally tend to avoid and predictably came across tripe like this:

It's my own fault for even paying attention to toxic conversations and letting myself get pulled in. I'm not going to drag this on anymore. Sorry if I offended anyone.