main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

2. The Boards Are Now Reopened For Business:

READ THIS: your ability to post here depends upon it.. See the new rules thread here. Bans can and will be handed out to anyone who doesn't abide by the forum rules.

Discussion Diversity In the New Saga [See OP Warning]

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Pro Scoundrel , Nov 20, 2016.

1. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    She's essentially a sub-continental Indian except alien (Togruta) so that's something.

2. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    But if the rumours are true she is being played by an actress with a white father and a mother from the Greater Antilles.

3. Helloothere

Helloothere Jedi Youngling

Jul 8, 2020
    Yeah but the way TLJ did was way way to clunky and soap boxy and distracted from the main Story.

It needed better execution/

4. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    ok, who’s sock are you?

this isn’t even the ST forum

5. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Feige's #1 Fan and Ryan Church Aficionado star 6

Apr 6, 2018
    She is physically a person of color, people see her that way, and she identifies as such. Therefore she is a person of color, no matter what your google research says. This is exactly the same nonsense Barack Obama had to deal with: people pushing their own interpretations of his identity onto him, and claiming he’s “not really black.” Oh really? Do you think the shop owners who got nervous when he walked into their shops treated him as not black? Rosario looks like a person of color, and self-identifies as a person of color. And so she is.

6. Lee_

Lee_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    per·son of col·or
    noun
    noun: person of colour; plural noun: persons of colour; plural noun: people of colour; noun: person of color; plural noun: persons of color; plural noun: people of color
    1. a person who is not white or of European parentage.
      "the varied experiences of people of color"

7. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Thanks for the input. Totally irrelevant to the discussion as always.

You do understand that Tano is a Togruta, an alien race don't you? She is not Indian, neither is she the offspring of a white father and a mother from the Greater Antilles. Any number of actors could have played her, I'm happy they chose Dawson, she is about the right age, has the right facial features and is a good actor. She will need to be smothered in orange make-up and wear blue contacts though.

8. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Feige's #1 Fan and Ryan Church Aficionado star 6

Apr 6, 2018
    Whatever, Old Jedi. Your playing the fool routine is tired.

9. DarthRamRod

DarthRamRod Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 1, 2018
    Virtue signalling is what racist,sexist idiots say to try and cut off equality at the knees.

10. Lee_

Lee_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    The real irony is (or is it a paradox?, I forget) that right now, the types talking virtue signaling are those with the least virtue in recent American history; the basket of deplorables.
    It's not a perceived loss of power that these folks are having, it is an actual one, so they are not as entirely out of touch as they might seem (although they certainly are in large part out of touch). Changing demographics and automation/technology are pushing this group toward irrelevance, and they know this is the last gasp (thus the populist burst).

Really fascinating that despite the current executive branch's total reliance on white males to stay afloat and win elections (and the place where their dominant lead makes the biggest difference), Biden has a 21% lead in support from white males with a college degree. That just tells the story I'm afraid. (Note: If you looks at Trumps second biggest support group, white women, Biden has a 40% lead among white women that have a college degree)

Three cheers for the well informed.

11. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    I probably have gone over this before, but more actors with accents would be nice, I think. Maybe a nice Russian or Eastern European one. We had that with Mads Mikklesen, correct me if I'm wrong. It would actually make the universe more believable for the human side of things as it only makes sense that humans have a variety of accents (not just British or American, mind you).

12. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    We sort of already have that, but George basically established that different real world accents are used by various aliens. Twileks have French accents, Neimodians speak with Japanese accents, Grievous had a sort of Eastern European accent, etc. You could say that its not the species, but the planets that have these accents, so people from Ryloth, irrelevant of their species, have French accents, people from Cato Neimodia Japanese and so on.

Also British accent is supposed to be a Coruscanti accent in universe.

InterestingLurker likes this.