main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Diversity In the New Saga [See OP Warning]

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Pro Scoundrel , Nov 20, 2016.

1. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Yeah, there is a lot of that sort of unrealistic combat in movies and shows. The issue with someone like Bruce Lee is a different story. Although he didn't have a large frame, he was massively strong and muscular; his upper body was incredibly strong and powerful if you ever read about the strength demos he use to put on. The fight scenes were incredibly real that he made in terms of actual technique. Something that has long been commented on by such a huge portion of those making "fighting films" was how Bruce Lee doesn't cut up the scenes like almost everyone else- he made it all real despite the dangers of it. They didn't have someone look like they could fight or kick ass, and have a lot of camera angles and cuts, he really COULD kick ass, and was a massive talent and athletic marvel/technician; he brought a different level of realism to his scenes, and was convincing. In a situation like that, a smaller-framed person still could make a realistic scene, but as you and others are saying, that isn't generally how it goes.

Bowen and Zejo the Jedi like this.
  2. Kev Snowmane

Kev Snowmane Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2013
    But it was in the movie made from the book. Once Emma Watson was case, the Hermione's ethnicity is "locked". Unless clearly marked as an AU/What If, it should not be changed.

Has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.

Again, not what I'm talking about. "Integrity" in this context signifies remaining true to the established characteristics of the character and milieu. In other words, treating the characters and setting as if they were an extant "real" world. Violating that integrity for meta-textual reasons is at best off putting and comes across more often as pandering. And it was unnecessary as it would have been very easy to promote a character such as Dean Thomas to "lead" status, given them greater visibility.

3. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Interestingly along those lines, George Takei, who played Sulu in Star Trek, was critical of making Sulu gay in the new Trek. He said it was out of step with the character that Roddenberry created, and said it was "really unfortunate." There is obviously little reason for him to be negatively biased given he is gay, and an LGBT activist. He felt that Roddenberry was supportive of LGBT, but that he was meticulous in his creation of characters, and had created Sulu as a heterosexual.

4. The Krynoid Man

The Krynoid Man Jedi Master star 3

Dec 24, 2015
    Why do some of you refer to non-white people as "people of colour"? Doesn't sound much different from calling them "coloured people" to me.

5. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Apparently white supremacists/misogynists/anti-Semites on Reddit are already whining that Rogue One promotes "anti-white hatred."

Just for that, I am doing one more theater viewing than originally planned.

7. t-trooperyc94

t-trooperyc94 Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 17, 2015
    People supposedly said they were going to boycott episode 7 too, but I only found two obvious trolls on twitter who said they would. Media gives this crap way too much attention.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  8. The Krynoid Man

The Krynoid Man Jedi Master star 3

Dec 24, 2015
    I'm sure I read somewhere that a person committed suicide because he found out that one of the two lead characters in Episode 7 was black. You couldn't make this stuff up if you tried.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  9. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Actually, half the internet is full of things people just made up.

10. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    That's why it's always good to take things read over the Internet with a pinch of salt... And speaking of diversity in the Anthology movies, I must say that it's a good thing to have such a unique range of characters on hand... Reflecting the multiculturalism that is prevalent throughout the world today!

Sent from MillenniumFalcon.exe using Tapatalk

11. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Unfortunately the internet is full of echoing chambers, places in which racists feel validated and encouraged by other racists. It's a good thing places like this exist as well in which people from all different cultures can come together to discuss something they love.

12. TurboPGT

TurboPGT Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 15, 2015
    The biggest echo chamber on the entire internet, is that of people calling other people racist, when it does not apply, at all.

13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Cool story, but when we are discussing people who will boycott a movie just because the main characters are not white, the accusation of racism does apply. Ditto any accusation of sexism applying to someone who would boycott a movie just because it has a female lead.

14. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    I'm still thinking the best solution is to ditch all the human characters and put more alien leads in the movies. Technically SW has already that but it would be great to experiment this in live-action.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  15. STARBOB

STARBOB Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 11, 2002
    Star wars still casts white guys for the villains in the main cast, so they still have roles.

16. Blackstone

Blackstone Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 14, 2015
    I don't care what race or gender you are. As long as you're a good actor, that's fine by me.

BUT...

If diversity becomes a mandate from the studio for the cast, well...I can't abide that at all.

vinsanity, Lee_, Bowen and 2 others like this.
  17. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    i'd say it's already a mandate. Studios want to appeal to the vast asian markets that are going to be bigger than North American/European markets, so it makes good business sense to diversify the casts of these movies for the sake of paying customers. It's not like pandering to audience tastes is something new and insidious that has just infiltrated Hollywood in the last 5 years. I whine all the time that Hollywood isn't pandering exlusively to my particular tastes, but that gets my precisely nowhere. I just vote with my dollars and hope for the best.

18. Strange Old Hermit

Strange Old Hermit Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 17, 2015
    Good. He should kill himself for that. Thanks for making the world a better place.

Bowen likes this.
  19. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002

Isn't that the whole point of Yoda? :D

CEB

George punching out Biff was stretching reality but still believable. What isn't realistic is Marty McFly and all 5 foot 4 inches of Michael J. Fox punching out Biff aka Thomas Wilson who stands 6 foot 3 and played football. Unless Marty hit him with a Little Mac star uppercut, Biff isn't going down.

Rylo Ken

It's just not the cast that needs to be more diverse that would need to be changed up in order to reach the Asian market but really the movies themselves. While I TFA did pretty good in China it pales into comparison to what FF7 and Transformers 4 did. Those overall stories click better with those markets which is why I would not be shocked if Rogue One clicks better in the Asian market then TFA. Not so much about the diversity of the cast but rather the storyline being more linear and simplistic. I think it will translate to that market better then TFA which had a lot of backstories and inner woven emotional relationships. I could be wrong but my sense this type of movie (big action with a very simple/linear story line) will play better to Asian markets then the more space operatic episodes.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  20. BucMan-55

BucMan-55 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 2, 2004
    Question for something that may come up further down the line: In SWTOR the Chiss species are usually voiced by people with very deep voices. Even the ladies sound deep and less "dainty". Would an African American casting as a Chiss character (and thus having to be put in a blue shade of makeup all over their skin) cause an uproar? Or would fear of an uproar prevent the casting of AA actors in a Chiss role?

21. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    And now there is an "Anti-Trump" message thanks to those pesky Rogue One reshoots.

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/news/a51399/now-trump-supporters-are-boycotting-star-wars/

22. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    Oh lord since R1 is going to open lower the TFA you know they're going to claim their boycott worked.

23. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    good. **** trump.

24. Jedi Dragon D

Jedi Dragon D Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    AGREED!!!

I also don't care that much about color, as long as you some actor that everybody want to give you an award to!

Denzel Washington, Samuel L Jackson, Will Smith, Forest Whittaker those are actors everybody want to give award to, so of course not a care by me whatever role they want they can have it.

25. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    These idiotic white supremacists who want to "boycott" Star Wars are such a joke. There is a huge all white, non-alien presence in Star Wars. It's called the Empire. And just like the white supremacists here, they are tyrannical, closed minded, bigoted, and represent the worst of what humanity has to offer. Maybe they should go see Rogue One and root for the Empire. After all, it doesn't go THAT badly for the Empire until ROTJ. Things are going along pretty well from Rogue One through ESB. Sure, sure, there's the whole Death Star setback, but overall they're doing fantastic right up until the darn Battle of Endor debacle :p

There must be a LOT of movies these people boycott. Life has to be really sad when you go through it with such a narrow view and find reasons to hate everything and everyone. Those are the real examples of the dark side of the Force.

Jedi Merkurian and TX-20 like this.