main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Diversity in the Sequel Trilogy (see warning on page 11)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Rickleo123, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    Finn is 23, he could represent the life of a young adult but Rian prefer Kylo, a 30 years old, to show "the transition from adolescence into adulthood"

2. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Hopefully they'll portray him less as the comical black friend stereotype who is always the butt of a joke and more like someone who has grown as a person and can inspire others to follow his example (me being mad at the absence of that Finn cut scene in the actual movie).

3. afrojedi

afrojedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2015
    So far the ST hasn't put the characters in a position to shape the galaxy on their own. I was hoping for an arc that would thrust Rey, Finn, and Poe into the Resistance's last hope and Kylo emerging with all the potential and anger his grandfather once had. But it seems like that was still to be the job of the original three, while the new characters are continue trying to learn their way. I'm not sure how that all changes effectively in the concluding episode, but I hope it does.

4. Ava G.

Ava G. Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2016
    To be fair, isn't that the current setup for IX?

5. afrojedi

Oct 23, 2015
    Though this is off topic and I'll end it here:
    I was hoping this would be coming to a head somewhere in the middle of VIII. Kylo who is supreme leader doesn't have the stature of Sheev or Vader, and Finn, Rey and Poe aren't where Leia, Han, or Luke were at the beginning of ESB imo.

CT-867-5309 and godisawesome like this.
  6. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    To both add my own two cents and tie this back into the topic...

TLJ only artificially managed the goals, and all in lackluster fashion. Kylo got an external change in becoming Supreme Leader, but isn't any more intimidating than he was in TFA because his internal change was pretty shallow and petty. If anything, he's *less* intimidating, since we didn't see his Force Freeze ability in this film and whatever complex motivation he had regarding Vader was tossed out when Snoke made fun of his helmet and he decided THAT WAS TOO FAR! or whatever. Rey, meanwhile, doesn't really grow into her role but is just magically elevated to it, so she's not an exciting protagonist as a *person* in TLJ, while also being an unexciting version of the Chosen One archetype compared to Luke and Anakin.

But it's the other young leads who got undercut and under-served in TLJ, which really doesn't do well considering they're largely composed of minority actors stuck doing busywork or dubiously conceived characters arcs. Finn and Poe both get "corrected" on character flaws that feel made up in comparison to TFA: Poe's suddenly an insubordinate hot head, and Finn's made a selfish coward. Neither story gets resolved that well, both only barely move the characters forward *if* you consider their flaws well conceived, and both only make the situation worse. It feels disingenuous to the characters and largely unimaginative and boring. They're not really the Resistance's last hope as much as they were liabilities in RJ's script.

And Rose arguably gets it worse. At least Poe and Finn did cool stuff in TFA, and both got a cool action scene in TLJ (Finn's fight with Phasma could have been so much better, but at least it was almost fun). Rose isn't given anything cool to do, is tasked with delivering preachy sermons that are dubiously conceived, and then has her story end with a pretty stupid moment. KMT delivered *very* well in her first scene, but just wasn't given anything worth her talents after that first scene.

7. afrojedi

Oct 23, 2015
    @godisawesome Exactly, you summed up the concerns I couldn't articulate perfectly.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  8. RandomGreyJ

RandomGreyJ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    Ha, it's funny. I recognize a few people bashing the post are from JCF. And I recognize that those people are Kylo stans/reylos. So while I Was always suspicious of their viewpoint, I now have my proof :) at least they can't call me a liar. Talk about a serious empathy gap...

Yeah, I think after IX I'm calling it quits on any new SW projects. Of course, they could never understand that viewpoint. The only thing they can understand is Ben Solo's (even though we hate skywalker protags) fictional tragic backstory and tone-deaf arguments as to why no one outside of white characters will ever be important enough. And how Finn being a hero alongside Rey takes away from her story (another nobody)...but not when it's Kylo. Then it's ok.

SW really has been a terrible experience. I guess I'm going back over to Marvel for a while.

9. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Wow there’s some explicitly racist crap in there. I didn’t bother reading the comments until you referenced them, but that is pretty awful. Also, there was a hell of a lot of “toxic” bashing of JB. Should we hold our breath for the media to criticize toxic Reylo/TLJ fans?

PendragonM and wobbits like this.
  10. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    Really? I don't see familiar JCF people on that reddit page other than yourself. I also notice there are a fair amount of Finn-supportive statements on that page.

If there was an intriguing darksider black villain struggling with the pull to the light and compassion for the hero I would be interested in that character too.

IncessantRamblings likes this.
  11. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Except SHOW ME his struggle. It really means little if he prattles on about how "conflicted" he is if he makes the wrong choice every single time, it's just hollow words. Show him actually DOING something selfless (and no saving Rey doesn't count) and then MAYBE I'll reconsider.

12. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I think we can all agree that bigotry is bad and racism is deplorable, but let's avoid making broad, sweeping statements about groups of fans that like a specific character or ship.

13. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    Fair point, sorry about that. Rough morning. But you're right @oncafar, most of the comments are agreeing or respectfully disagreeing. But bashing is always louder for some reason.

My main point was that people rush to say Finn is a bad character and that's why his story is bad. Or that no one would care about a stormtrooper. But I was trying to remind them that his character had the most potential but it's been squandered by underwhelming/lazy writing. THAT'S why his character looks bad. Not because he's just automatically bad by default. They blame the character or the actor more than they blame the writing itself.

14. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    It's all good. Everybody makes mistakes. Everybody has those days.

oncafar, RandomGreyJ and Ava G. like this.
  15. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    The character is a product of writing and acting (I personally agree that it's writing and character concept). I've complained a lot about people bashing Rey and I really dislike Rose bashing. And for me most of this centers around how they are female characters and I feel like there is often an underlying double-standard about female characters in which they are damned if they do and damned if they don't. But OTOH, some people really hate Rey as a character and as much as I think sexism accounts for some of it, it certainly doesn't account for all of it. Even if I sometimes feel Rey is being discussed in a misogynistic manner at times, the core complaint is often going back to her characterization. One thing I can agree with is that Rey is not given a lot of backstory in TFA (she is a mystery), and TLJ doesn't devote (IMO) enough time/work to developing Rey in terms of her backstory and character.

I do feel like TLJ cuts a lot of corners with both Rey and Finn and I don't really like a lot of what is done with Finn's character. Naturally, in my biased way, I think the issue goes back to the beginning, to not being able to create an original story in some ways (not all ways). Finn's original concept (before he was Finn) IIRC was as some kind of Han Solo imitation character. Can they not conceive of a new character? They want to copy Han, really? Then this rogue-ish smuggler Han-ish character evolves into a defecting storm trooper. Although I do think that the idea was that Finn never fit in as a storm trooper and has always been pretending to be one of the FO disguising his empathetic and social personality, and I get that, I still don't think that alone makes up for how the character concept was slurred from the beginning. Why would the defecting storm trooper be some kind of Han Solo-ish character? Why not conceive of a more fitting personality for this character who was raised by the FO?

The ST problems all start at the beginning with TFA. They start with not having very good character concepts IMO. TLJ actually carries on this issue with its new characters, Holdo and Rose. The amusing thing is that there's an entire book with Holdo in it, but TLJ didn't use the Holdo personality from the Leia novel (aside from her having purple hair). There's just a lot of character messes in the ST, and Finn and Rey are at the eye of the storm.

They can't even seem to assign Finn alone the Han Solo-ish character role as I felt like TLJ was still chasing this character type by trying to have Poe be more of this parallel. And it's like we even HAD Han Solo himself in TFA! Anyway, maybe there's a deeper meaning to chasing Han Solo throughout the trilogy and they made their Han origin story movie too... So clearly there's this huge Han focus. But I think Finn should have been removed from this whole Han-worship from the beginning. Finn is not Sam. As soon as defecting storm trooper was born, that meant "Sam" isn't in this movie. And if all Sam ever was, was a Han-imitation, then good riddance.

Anyway, this really (what I'm saying) is off topic and more fitting for the ST criticism thread than this one.

16. Classified8

Classified8 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 8, 2016
    I do think the writing is the main issue, but I think it started in TFA. IIRC, Finn's character was originally slated to be a smuggler until somebody, I believe Kasdan, said, "Hey, wouldn't it be interesting to make him a defected stormtrooper?" (That's not a verbatim quote, I'm paraphrasing.) The problem was that they either didn't have enough time or take enough time to fully develop that idea, and it showed. There were inconsistencies in the characterization from the start. In no way do I feel JB is at fault. He's a talented and charismatic actor.

My biggest criticism of TLJ is that I felt Finn was sidelined a bit in favor of Poe's expanded role, especially given that Poe was originally supposed to die early in TFA. Keeping Poe alive and giving him more to do ate into Finn's role IMO. Also, and I could be wrong, but I got the feeling that Rian was not as interested in Finn as he was in some of the other characters. But I wouldn't go as far as to say his character "looks bad". I don't think it's all doom and gloom and I'm hopeful for his arc in IX.

rorow1 and oncafar like this.
  17. Troopa212

Troopa212 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 19, 2016
    That's because according to Kasdan, in the TFA commentary, Poe is supposed to be the character that follows the Han Solo archetype. I think you're right that Finn is supposed to be something different. Unfortunately many fans don't know that so they just assign the Han archetype to Finn. I don't think Rian understood that either so we got what we got in TLJ.

I ask myself the same question. I wonder the same thing when Disney announces yet another live-action remake of one of their classics.

PendragonM and wobbits like this.
  18. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    I assign it to Finn because I know that a Han-like character is what Finn evolved out of, and in TFA the way Finn and Han interact is like Han is talking with younger him (that's how Han regards him almost), and also Finn has some goofy qualities that resemble Han's goofy qualities. Finn's clothes in the leaked IX photos are based on Han clothing designs too (though I don't think that counts as I think they've been referencing Han in Rey and Poe costumes as well). I am honestly not sure "they" (everyone involved - Kasdan, JJA, RJ, etc.) can make up their minds about who is their Han-reference character.

Finn has a similar extroverted, social, charismatic, capable-of-being charming, natural leadership qualities, gift of gab (able to BS, but badly) personality to Han. Like Han, he is used in comedic ways. In TFA he parallels ANH Han a bit in how he just wants to take off, not help the Resistance. His overall arc is about coming around first (in TFA) to help Rey > his sense of self-preservation (it's like how Han came back and helped Luke); and then (in TLJ) to help the Resistance > his sense of self-preservation that now includes Rey. So there's even a rogue element to the character (which is fitting with a defector). The only thing missing is the sharper and more scoundrel like aspect of Han, which I think TLJ tried to manifest in Poe and it came out all wrong.

So I don't know, I wouldn't be surprised if I could be a time traveling fly on the wall listening to all the character discussions, if people suggested Finn was like Han or made comparisons with Han several times. I've even pondered that Finn and Poe are like two sides of Han and both based on Han.

Anyway, the efforts to manifest Han in other characters comes off as way too try-hard to me. There is really only one Han: Han.

I'd be interested in the direct quote though about Poe being the Han archetype and would want to analyze it to see if people are saying that from the beginning Poe is meant to be the exclusive Han archetype (though how that can be true when Finn evolved out of a Han-like character, I don't know).

PS I think I meant Skyler instead of "Sam" in previous post.

19. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Wasn't Kasdan's comments on Poe saying "we needed someone to go forth with that Han Solo swagger."

20. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    I do not know...

21. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Anyway all of the 3 ST heroes have blended features of the OT heroes.

Rey: Han's job of flying and maintaining the Falcon; Luke's Jedi-in-training storyline; Leia's no-nonsense female personality

Poe: Luke's job of a x-wing dog fighter pilot; Leia's Resistance/Rebel storyline; Han's experienced, cooler personality

Finn: Leia's job of providing intel; Han's storyline of learning to fight for a larger cause; Luke's young boy in-over-his head personality

22. The Deuteragonist

The Deuteragonist Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    @oncafar Unpopular opinion here: I think Finn's character arc is just as good, if not better in some ways, than Han Solo's. I personally feel that Han Solo is the best character in ANH, but doesn't really get much to do after that other than be in a relationship with Leia. TFA does a great job of making Finn one of the most interesting and distinct characters in the main saga, while TLJ still continues his arc. He still gets more screentime than most of the other characters, he still gets his own moments of victory and emotion, and his relationships with Rey, Rose, Poe, and First Order are deemed as important to the narrative.

I compare Finn and Han Solo all of the time, mostly to dismiss those who say Finn is more like the "Leia" of the story (which is wrong in so many ways because Leia is awesome and should not be used as an insult) than the Han Solo. However, I never thought about their personalities being the same because they are still so different. Complementary and similar in some ways sure (which is why they make a good duo) but still pretty different. Han has a much stronger sense of identity than Finn does and is much more of a smooth talker. Finn is also much nobler and unfailingly compassionate than Han is. Han's defining trait is leadership and willpower. Finn's defining trait is his compassion and bravery.

oncafar and godisawesome like this.
  23. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I'm with you on everything but TLJ.

I genuinely *do* believe that Finn has the strongest character arc for a single film in the Saga; other characters do cover more distance as time goes on, but no one has equal pace or depth of change in any single film. Finn goes from a nameless, faceless grunt who doesn't break the mold of what the FO expects from a Stromtrooper until the moment the horror of war and the actions of his factions slam into him, and he creates an identity that's intially just a self-preservation cover, before eventually trying to confess that he's not one he claims to be... Only to then become that identity.

I love it! Comparing him to Han I think actually does more favors for Finn than the other way around; Han has a similar "neutral character becomes hero in spite of caution and cynicism," except the scale is smaller, and Han benefits more from Harrison Ford's charisma than originality or dramatically powerful scene concepts. Finn, to me, has four major scenes all of which are charged with weight and power by the writing, not just Boyega's great skills:

- His "birth" in the horrors of the raid on Jakku. Honestly, this one scene feels more powerful than the entirety of TLJ for him. Boyega's only able to do body language acting, but does a fantastic job showing this character freaking out and suddenly having his reality thrown into stark, unforgiving light, and finding himself incapable of being the monster he's supposed to be. This scene is iconic, honestly; FN2187 being made unique by as simple a visual change of a few bloody finger streaks on his helmet beautifully encompasses the idea that there's humanity in him, and not just fascist programming. And the simple but evocative horror of the moment is emphasized arguably more than even a Star System later in the film; Finn's reaction to the massacre, and the horrified stare he gives Kylo Ren afterwards, let the moment actually get some realism.
    - His confession to Rey. The appeal of this scene is pretty obvious. Finn and Rey have their bond tested not by an outside force, but instead by Finn's convictions in the hopelessness of the situation and his inability to conceal the truth any more from Rey. The scene is even staged to make this confession have more weight, with him looking up at her and baring his soul. It's an emotionally raw moment between the two characters, and their opposing appeals to each other ("come with me," "Don't go,") are pure magic.
    - His return to the fight upon witnessing SKB destroy the Hosnian System. I know it's short, but seeing Finn look at the heavens, see SKB's handiwork, than sprint over to Han to tell him what happened, forsaking his escape route to do so, is the natural evolution of the scene in Jakku. There, Finn simply refused to be party to an atrocity. Now he feels compelled to do *something* upon seeing another one happen. People argue about whether this scene should be counted as Finn choosing to oppose the FO or not; I'd say it pretty clearly does.
    - Fighting desperately but bravely against Kylo. People love the hopeless fight in fiction, where the heroe's chutzpah is their only real asset they have in a fight. Finn gets it here, and it a nice encapsulation of his arc; Finn has no unique skills or strengths, but nevertheless is giving his all to fight the good fight and protect his friend, and manages a strategic win from a tactical thrashing, since he buys Rey time to rise. And I love the reversal of his scene with Kylo from earlier; there, Finn's horrified stare had taken a while to finally draw a bemused return from Kylo, but here, Finn is so focused on Rey that Kylo has to petulantly flourish his lightsaber to draw Finn's attention back to him.

These are scenes that have strong concepts, not just a great actor.

And if I can comment on one thing people have an issue with regarding Finn being a Stormtrooper, the part where he seems to fight back to easily... There's a reason why deserters are considered dangerous, and why the Dangerous Deserter is a trope. Finn turning on his former companions fits perfectly with the idea of him at first being a desperate man trying to escape a fascist military, then later becoming a defector against them. The FO raised a soldier, then repeatedly tried to dehumanize him and his companions behind numbers and helmets, so of course that training isn't likely to prevent him from killing his old fellows.

Now, Finn should eventually have come to a realization about his fellow child-slaves... But that was TLJ's screw up, not TFA's.

24. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Well, it's long been discussed in the diversity threads that SW needs a WOC as an actress or director, so the TV show certainly is positive in that way; they have made good on it (Chow).

25. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    Yeah it's great that Jon found a diverse list of directors for The Mandalorian, almost as if (WAIT FOR IT)......

it wasn't that difficult.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018