main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Diversity in the Sequel Trilogy (see warning on page 11)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Rickleo123, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Better yet, not only a diverse list, but a quality list.

2. RandomGreyJ

RandomGreyJ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    Ha yeah for all the people that like to say, "jUsT gO wItH tHe BeSt OpTiOnS" Well there you have it ^:)^

3. afrojedi

afrojedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2015
    It would be interesting to see what small groups of board members could come up with if they took on the simulated role of the LFL Story Group responsible for the setting in place the bones of the trilogy based on the ending of TFA through to IX.

As the LFSG, they would have to power to jettison saber toss, creature milking, low speed space chase, force skyping, marooned Luke, etc and create the long term arcs for both the legacy and new heroes/villains (casting as you see fit). World building; making Achto more mystical perhaps or Canto Bight less of a pit stop, include original worlds whatever.

4. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    The LFSG are fans though. Each group would come up with something different which would subsequently be unsatisfactory to other fans. The story group also don't have control over stuff like arcs, and what scenes to get rid of etc.

5. afrojedi

Oct 23, 2015
    And that was part of the problem. The circle story method, especially in the hands of someone as radical as RJ created a pretty disjointed product. Fans or not, a group of professionals charged with coming up with a consistent arc for the trilogy would be better than each director going it alone. This may have had the effect of narrowing JJ's focus in leaving so many threads for Rian, and Rian's focus in developing numerous side plots and creating what LK predicted would be 'some weird thing'. It may also have also led to eliminating the abrupt change in personalities the heroes had in the short span of time between the TFA and TLJ.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  6. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    It probably would have even good for JJ, LK or RJ to create a blueprint, but not the story group.

7. afrojedi

Oct 23, 2015
    That would make it less of a story circle and give it much higher potential for continuity, but you probably want people like Pablo who is very knowledgeable about the universe involved so that weird non-star wars like things are at least discussed before they are green lit.

8. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    That's their job at the moment, and I feel like they've done it fairly well. But they don't tell the story makers how to world build or what scenes to include, etc. Ultimately there should be a unified vision, but it should be from one individual (or a couple), and from the highest quality of storyteller. While the storygroup are storytellers in their own right, aren't in the same league as people like RJ and JJ (at least in terms of film storytelling).

9. afrojedi

Oct 23, 2015
    We definitely disagree with the quality of some some of the writing done so far, but yes, screenwriters write, however some boundaries should have been in place because this world, built over 30 years by GL isn't a blank canvas to do strange things unchecked. Apparently the story group had no influence and the screenwriters didn't collaborate anywhere near enough. Regardless of what it's called, a group of people higly knowledgeable with this universe who can speak to JJ or RJ about concerns to the saga as a whole would have been a very good thing.

10. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    That is what they do. Where have these new films broken any established boundaries?

11. afrojedi

Oct 23, 2015
    I'm not aware of any boundaries established for the ST. And as far as collaboration, there's definitely something wrong when the second director/writer is telling Oscar Isaac (who spent x months portraying Poe in TFA), he's portraying his character wrong.

I just noticed this was posted in the wrong thread. The whole convo was supposed to posted in the st critic thread.

12. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    That’s my nightmare. It’s exactly the kind of odd, slightly grotesque things, like the space cow, set on a familiar but still alien setting, that give Star Wars its flavor. Honestly, I think Ahch-to would have been a much lesser setting without those creatures, and Luke’s connection to the planet less grounded. Thank God LFL doesn’t employ the SG as a means of stripping out the world’s color and personality.

Nom_Anor01 and vncredleader like this.
  13. afrojedi

Oct 23, 2015
    You think that alien resembled a cow?

14. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I don't know if broken is the right word, but I would say that there are certain flaws in the ST as a whole and TLJ in particular that the Story Group should have been used to alleviate (and where the Story Group *did* alleviate issues in RO and tried to alleviate issue in Solo), and some flaws that aren't really the Story Group's fault but which should have been set as boundaries anyway by higher ranking individuals.

World Building and lore are both criminally underdeveloped and simply not thought out in the ST, even though that was a key element of Lucas's Star Wars; even as a major fan of TFA, I can admit that it only has a bare few advantages over TLJ here, and that the seeds for TLJ's utter botch job on lore and setting are born out of a complete disinterest in setting any concrete contexts down in TFA. The ST hasn't gained anything from this stubborn clinging to vagueries and has hurt itself with narrative inconsistencies and a banal and boring retread of the Empire vs Rebellion dynamic on a much smaller scale that is simply bad. It's the kind of thing that should have been set up and handed to the Story Group as the status quo they were supposed to enforce and softly modify for the next storyteller in the ST, not just roll over and allow him to wholesale rewrite.

The other big one that I think someone really, really should have enforced on RJ was Finn's place as the co-protagonist with Rey in the ST, not Kylo, as well as a long term plan for everything in the franchise. That's not the kind of thing the SG should be responsible for, but it should be something they enforce.

afrojedi, Troopa212 and PendragonM like this.
  15. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    Someone needed to be a hands on executive producer and impose a vision. Nobody's doing that, apparently. The story group isn't going to tell the boss's fave directors that they're doing it wrong. That's the boss's job. You need someone like the Marvel guy or a TV style showrunner - someone whose word is law for creative things. Kennedy and Iger signing off on things because it makes sense from a business perspective or they got feels from an idea (Iger loving Han being named by the Imperials because he doesn't have any "people") isn't the same as someone saying "the trilogy needs to accomplish these things."

I'd put them all in one group but we're not supposed to be unkind to the "creators" so...

16. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    @godisawesome I've moved the discussion to the ST criticism thread.

17. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    I didn't reply to this earlier, but I wasn't trying to say their personalities are the same. I was instead zeroing in on the ways in which they have similar personalities, and I think that's intentional because the filmmakers wanted their "Han Solo" like characters, which could even be more of a gestalt of Han/smuggler/scoundrel-type (though really Finn is not scoundrel-like IMO - to borrow your adjective, he is too noble to be a scoundrel). I think I pretty much agree with your contrasting between Han and Finn, though I'd say Finn actually does have a huge potential for leadership (or has all the qualities), but he doesn't I suppose automatically assert himself as leader as frequently as Han does. Han automatically defaults to being in charge a lot, which was how the back-and-forth relationship with Leia began in the first place (a conflict between two people who think they should be in charge).

Anyway, my point about Finn was that I think the character was slurred from this original concept of the Han/smuggler/rogue character type to a defecting stormtrooper, and the end character retains many qualities of the initial concept. It's done in a way in which I try to buy the Finn background story, but I suppose the snag is that it's not dark enough in a lot of ways, and Finn in a lot of ways sometimes doesn't seem like someone who was put through the FO brainwashing ringer. I just feel there was more opportunity for depth there. But like I probably said, I also know that he is supposed to be a character who kind of never fit in with the FO and so he developed the ability to act as though he's with them. He went through the motions, but didn't ever become "one of them." And maybe there's nothing wrong with that kind of character set up as expressed even in TFA.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  18. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    This!

At the risk of some threadblending, this is where the MCU shines, and where the DC and (certain aspects of the) SW movies fall flat. There is an overarching vision of how the stories interconnect, and that vision allows them the patience necessary to build that interconnection without it being ham-fisted or scattered.

Troopa212, afrojedi, wobbits and 3 others like this.
  19. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Who they needed was George Lucas.

wobbits likes this.
  20. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I thought TLJ tried too hard to accommodate TFA, to be honest. So I can't help but feel I want less of an overarching/ restrictive vision, than more of one. That said, a much longer-term coherent vision, like that the Game of Thrones showrunners enjoyed from the beginning, could be very helpful. If it's not used to squash creativity among directors, that is.

21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don’t think TLJ accommodated TFA at all. Rey seemed like a completely different character, and Finn was sidelined. In TFA, Kylo is introduced as a villain and was not made to be more important than any other character, his parentage aside. In TLJ, the only aspect of the story or any other character’s arc that does not revolve entirely around Kylo is Canto Blight.

Maybe that was the intention all along, that the entire ST was going to be Kylo: A Star Wars Story. But I would not have guessed it from TFA.

2Cleva, Jedi Merkurian and wobbits like this.
  22. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    What I mean is that the TFA style seemed to overwhelm Rian’s very distinct style and vision as a director. I was looking forward to a very Rian Johnson film. And instead I got what I describe as a “JJ film with the rug pulled out from under it.”

afrojedi likes this.
  23. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Yeah, Bor's raised this point before, and he doesn't mean it the way some of us take it.;)

But... well, I don't mean anything against you Bor, and I don't think Rian Johnson would necessarily think of it in these terms, but I do wonder if a more "Rian Johnson-style" film would have had any significant place for Finn, or whether Rey would be the nominal lead if it weren't for TFA asserting her place there.

I can understand how RJ might look at Rey from TFA and feel that she was defined by mysteries and not by characterization; I might vehemently object to that idea, but I've seen other fans make the same judgement based off of how big that mystery box about her parentage was. But I do think that the bulk of Rey's problems as a character in TLJ might fit a pattern from RJ's other films rather than just be a symptom of him putting too much emphasis on what he regarded as a boring mystery box; pretty much all his previous lead protagonists were white dudes in various states states of being internally troubled, and while TLJ is maybe the first time I'd say I've seen his story get sexist, I can't recall him evernwriting things from a female's perspective as a lead. As villains? Yep. As love interests and mother figures? Yep.

I think Rian Johnson genuinely didn't realize that he was supplanting Rey with Kylo while making the film, and not just because he was following up on TFA from Abrams, but because he just immediately gravitated towards Kylo as being the kind of major character he was most comfortable with. And I don't even think he was being that introspective about Kylo as he usually was about his own leads; I don't think there's anyway that RJ would have intentionally kept so much of Kylo's space fascist characterization or allowed him to still seem "naturally evil" in TLJ if he'd recognized the vastness of Kylo's crimes and how inadequate (and at times counterproductive) his attempts to have the character "understood" were. The story RJ was writing still needed Kylo to be the villain at the end of it, so I'm not saying his sympathies are towards fascism or anything like that. But I don't think he grasped how dark of a corner the character had been painted into, or how unfathomable his motivations were, because clearly, the hut scene was supposed to make him someone we could relate to in his darkness... but the lack of attention towards the slaughtered students and towards his crimes from TFA imply to me that RJ got tunnel vision, and was probably just overworked.

And I don't think Finn's core characteristics are his cup of tea. Finn belongs in a somewhat optimistic and more fantastical story than I think Johnson's comfortable with; the kind of altruism and innate goodness required for Finn to break his conditioning and transform into a hero isn't at home in the more cynical and flawed headspace that Johnson gravitates towards for his characters. It's not foreign to it... but I think it's more likely to belong to some innocent ingenue or good buddy who dies in act 1 than in a main hero in a Rian Johnson movie.

And I do think some low-key and innocent bias did play a part in the apathy towards Finn. The same traits that drew RJ towards Kylo, and to reinterpret Kylo in a way that arguably didn't work, probably drew RJ away from Finn. I don't think RJ consciously or subconsciously is racist... but he might be biased towards someone more like him, i.e., the introverted and angsty white guy.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  24. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Ha. I like your first line. The truth is that unlike most fans (and critics here) I mostly judge films by their cinematic qualities, so I place much greater emphasis on visual film-making style (is it verite vs. pulpy, subtle vs. bombastic, etc), and narrative tone (emphasis on realism or not), and a little less on characterization (though that's obviously quite important to me as well). And having enjoyed the style of RJ's Brick and Looper, I hoped to see something that felt like that, but in the GFFA. That could've been ground-breakingly cool, and on the cinematic level of Villeneuve's Blade Runner sequel. Instead, the film looked and felt like an Abrams joint, but with decidedly more angst, less tonal consistency and an awkward structure. It was like taking a very simple Abrams film and making it...less fun, more confusing and somehow, less subtle, in its signposting of themes and messages by characters. To me, that was the greatest issue with TLJ. So much potential in a director like RJ, but he was too tied to the JJ interpretation of Star Wars. And so when trying to be himself, it felt awkward and out of place, rather than coherent. So IMO, a more fully Johnson-esque TLJ would have been a much better film.

Doesn't mean an overarching plan wouldn't improve things. It certainly could. But I'd want it to be a broad plan that doesn't interfere with a director's creativity.

afrojedi and godisawesome like this.
  25. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    I love Brick, but in general I'm far more of a story and characterization guy than I am a tone and style guy; my love of Brick has as much to do with it's sharp writing as it has to do with the style Johnson brought, and part of my reason for ranking TLJ lower than ROTS (and on some day, below TPM) in my personal ranking is because, even if I think TLJ clearly has far and away greater directing, the writing feels significantly poorer than even the sometimes clunky dialogue of the PT. Style *is* important...but I can forgive an awful lot of style issues if I think the story's good enough. I'm even a guy who knows that Grant Morrison is a stupendous comic writer... but I sometimes find his characterizations lacking, so I'll glady go for something more conventional like a Paul Dini story even if I know it'll have nowhere near as much massive creativity in every single pore.

And I do think that, if you're telling one continuous story, like in a trilogy, your plot has to be good; that's the saving grace of the PT and the ulcer at the heart of TLJ in the ST.

Bor Mullet likes this.