main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Diversity in the Sequel Trilogy (see warning on page 11)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Rickleo123, Nov 29, 2016.

1. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Oh gee, I was totally unaware. I guess now I have to retroactively hate the show I previously enjoyed. Turns out Buffy actually never was a revolutionary female character and a role model for girls and women across the world. That never happened. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    Abadacus likes this.
  2. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Of course it is. Finn’s personal motives only count to you when they allow you to judge him negatively. His goal was not to hurt the Resistance in TLJ, it was to help a friend. But you only credit him with hurting the Resistance. When his primary goal was to help Rey and he helped the Resistance, he gets no credit for the thing that he did for the Resistance because he only did it for her.

Putting friends over strangers in a chaotic extreme situation such as Finn’s will never be a character flaw to me. Any movie that tries to sell it as such has a bankrupt moral at its core.

He was embarrassed. It doesn’t make him a traitor. People are flawed and imperfect. Poe would understand. Finn’s been through a lot and he did a lot for Poe. Finn isn’t harming anyone by wanting to bounce.

Finn didn’t have time to act like anything. He’s been free for two days. He has every right to be confused and all over the place. This doesn’t warrant judgment. It’s not a good excuse to condemn him.

I think it’s interesting that you think Finn being demonized as a traitor was accurate, that Rose was right to taze him as a traitor, and you think RJ treated his character with respect. These positions are irreconcilable to me.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  3. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    You can feel however you want. You’re a free person and I have no coercive power over your decisions. I personally saw a lot of “chauvinist pretending to be a feminist” in Whedon from early in his career, and I stand by that perception.

And I’d like to keep him, and his shallow understanding of feminism and diversity, as far away from the SW franchise as possible.

But you do you.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  4. GDGJ

GDGJ Jedi Master star 1

Aug 29, 2016
    I can’t comment for Rey, because I am not now nor have I ever been a white woman, but Finn is a jabroni black best friend type who exists to fall over so that the audience can laugh at him. He breaks no barriers whatsoever.

Nah. Wonder Woman movie was coming the second the Avengers movie was a success. Get Out was made because the director was had enough influence in the Hollywood system that people trusted him enough to invest in his movie and the process through which marvel movie characters are decided is so arcane that it’s basically impossible to examine.

No you are, because you’re ignoring that it comes at the end of two films where Finn is consistently portrayed as nothing more than a buffoon.

Because of author fiat, he’s not a hero of the Resistance because the movies show him doing anything heroic.

Literally anything

afrojedi and CT-867-5309 like this.
  5. The Deuteragonist

The Deuteragonist Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    I’m sorry but, was this really necessary? No one is telling you to not like anything. It is, however, important that people are always made aware of misogyny and something that could be potentially damaging to how people (specifically women and/or minorities) are represented in media as a whole. Buffy is awesome (and so is Angel) but there’s no getting around that parts of it have not aged well. If you can separate the artist from the art, that’s fine. But it’s really rude respond to someone with condescension after they are simply providing information.

Of course he’s embarrassed. He should be embarassed. Poe did a lot for Finn too. And I’m under the impression that he is potentially harming someone by doing what he’s doing. And no, Poe would not understand after he found out that Finn just left him. He would be rightfully hurt.

I don’t know about anyone else, but I would be very upset if my friend abandoned me when I’m getting my ass kicked, especially when I’m literally fighting for people that are like him. Or left me without saying goodbye after I was poor, destitute, and used some of my last remaining resources to save his life. That’s just messed up.

Lol, you know....it kind of sounds like you’re giving me the side-eye for having an opinion that’s different from yours and you really don’t have to. I mean, you already know that I like TLJ and I’m one of the few people on the internet that likes Finn’s arc in it, so this shouldn’t be surprising. We both like Finn, we just disagree on his portrayal in TLJ. It’s honestly fine.

It also doesn’t change the fact that no matter how you look at it, Finn’s character will be remembered for what Episode IX has in store for him more so than anything he did in TLJ. So love it or hate it, Finn’s TLJ arc honestly doesn’t matter that much in the long run. And that goes for the majority of the characters not just Finn. No one’s character arcs are complete yet.

rorow1 likes this.
  6. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    I don't believe Whedon is a faux-feminist. I believe he's a jerk who cheated on his wife and had affairs with women. But this isn't the topic of the thread, is it?

afrojedi, DarthFixxxer and Abadacus like this.
  7. The Deuteragonist

Jun 25, 2018
    Wow. Yeah...I'm not even going to try to touch that one lol. It's obvious that I heavily disagree but there's nothing I can really say to that. You just seem to hate Finn, which is fine.

You're right, so we're just gonna move on.

8. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    People don't hate Finn, they hate how he's been written. There's a difference.

9. The Deuteragonist

Jun 25, 2018
    No...there are people who hate Finn.

And writing Finn off as a buffoon that contributes nothing to the plot in both films leads me to believe that the person doesn't like his character, which again, is fine. I mean, why would you like someone who's offensive and useless?

10. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    In theory, Finn is the most interesting aspect of the ST, and one of the few really original concepts in the 2 movies so far. A rebellious stromtrooper defecting from the Empire, wrestling with his conscience and finding his way to the Rebellion is a great idea for a Star Wars plot. TCW touched on the same general themes in a few of its arcs, such as Umbara or the Order 66 arc, and another exploration of that are would have been great.

That's not what we got in practice. After Finn's (solid) introduction on Jakku, and once he frees Poe, that's it as far as his background affects him as a character. Once he's cheerfully blowing up his fellow stormtroopers, who might I remind you are brainwashed child-slaves, all hope in him being a fascinating character study is lost.

After that he's reduced to a very generic 'good guy' role, and I can't think of one example where his background of indoctrination is apparent. He's perfectly fine in all social situations, he cracks jokes, he wilfully goes along with killing more of the FO's slave troopers. The only times he brings up his past is in the context of useful plot info that progresses the Rebel's missions, but doesn't actually touch on any of Finn's character.

There's the decent scene in TFA where he decides for himself to walk away from the 'mission', and wants to forge his own path. Everyone is accepting of this, though Rey is disappointed, she lets him do what he wants.

TLJ essentially does that same scenario, and this time Finn is tased for trying to leave of his own free will. He's also later punished for doing the exact same thing as Holdo, Paige, and Luke.

I think Finn is the biggest wasted opportunity of the ST, where the central idea was intriguingly compelling, and the execution was as about as dis-interested in exploring those ideas as it could be.

That's why I hate Finn. I hate the failure to do anything with him beyond bland 'heroics'.

11. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    No, he's not written off as a buffoon. He's written as a buffoon.

12. Jedi Grandmaster

Jedi Grandmaster Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 27, 2015
    Had to reply to this. First, I think it's very disingenuous to say those movies wouldn't exist without Finn and Rey when half the movies you listed were already in development when TFA released and one is an indie movie made with a 5 million budget.

Second, it's 2018, just having representation in itself doesn't mean anything if the way the characters are portrayed are regressive and stereotypical. We don't just want female and minority leads going forwards. We want female and minority leads that are well developed, complex characters and not poorly written, borderline racist caricatures that only serve to develop the plot of the other white male characters. Four of the films you mentioned are significantly better in representation and Captain Marvel hasn't even come out yet I'm willing to bet Carol will probably be a better written character than Rey. At least I don't think she won't stupidly lust after the villain a week after he tortured her

Just diverse characters appearing in blockbusters won't do anything if they're not written well. Seriously, 20 years ago, Will Smith was the lead hero in a blockbuster that was the 2nd highest grossing movie of all time so it's not like this was the first time a blockbuster was featuring a minority lead. There's literally no excuse for Lucasfilm to have botched Finn's character and arc so badly.

13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I am a white woman, and the way Rey was written was very regressive.

14. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    I'm not giving you side eye. That implies being passive aggressive. I'm stating outright that portraying Finn as a traitor that deserves to be tazed as a traitor is (imo) treating his character with disrespect. I don't think treating a character that escaped a life of slavery two days ago as deserving that kind of treatment meets the definition of respect. Granted, we disagree. To you it meets the definition of respect, which is a position I just don't understand.

This reminds me of a book I just tried to read by Andy Weir, author of The Martian. It's set on the moon with a female protagonist of non-white descent. Meets the supposed "SJW" criteria, right? Except despite the phenomenal science fiction of life on the moon, which I enjoyed as much as his depiction of the science of being on Mars, I had to stop reading it because this protagonist was so OTT shallow and childish and stupid. It's like (some) people don't understand that female characters have to seem human too. It's not enough to insert women. They need to be written as well as male characters need to be written.

15. GDGJ

GDGJ Jedi Master star 1

Aug 29, 2016
    Hmm...

I don’t like the ST. I liked TFA when it first came out but then as time went on my opinion of it dropped. I didn’t see TLJ in cinemas and instead just laughed as the spoilers leaked and I realised how insanely dumb it was. I watched it, eventually, through alternative means and my opinion was that it was a nice looking film with a really bad story. That said, despite my problems with the story, despite my problems with the characters, despite my problems with the films, none of it actually pisses me off. Except for Finn.

Finn viscerally bothers me. It annoys me that these movies get so much credit for being “progressive” when they’re essentially long apologisisms for a neo-nazi school shooter, and when the black male “lead” is little more than a cartoon who exists to fall over and get hit so that the audience can laugh at him. It bothers me that the movie spends so much time trying to get us to empathise with the aforementioned neo-nazi and spends so much time getting us to laugh at the black lead. It bothers me that this movie, the only time when we have a black lead, is the movie where all of a sudden people need to know their place; where having friendships and being willing to die to help your friends is portrayed as a bad thing; where suddenly we need to be lectured to about human attachments, when such things are basic emotional responses everyone not a psychopath immediately understands.

There’s a version of Finn out there that doesn’t bother me the way OTL does. If you want to call that hating Finn, more power to you.

16. The Deuteragonist

Jun 25, 2018
    That's interesting because Finn...brings me joy. I love his enthusiasm. I love his comedic timing. I love how smart he is. I love that people are always looking to him for information. I love that he has own story that is separate from anyone else. I love that other characters consistently mention what a great person he is. I love that he has more relationship dynamics than anyone else in the ST. I love that he's compassionate and always sticking up for people even though he doesn't want to. I love that he always tries harder more than any other character in the series. I love that he's always willing to die for a cause that he believes in. I love that he loves and protects his friends. I love that he's exceptionally brave. I love that he makes mistakes. I love that he's never the same person and is constantly growing. Finn just amazes because I have never seen a character quite like him before. I would say that Finn is the main reason I remained a Star Wars fan. I mean, I love Star Wars but it's not perfect. It's problematic in terms of representation, varying in quality with each new release, and the fanbase just...can't quite seem to get along. But if there is one character that encapsulates everything I love about Star Wars (which is heroism, friendship, and fun), it's definitely Finn. Luke and Rey are a close second, though.

But hey, different strokes for different folks.

godisawesome likes this.
  17. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Yeah, I loved that part where he developed from the last film by being made to retread a bad version of what he did in TFA, that was great.

18. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Yeah, I’m still torn over Finn.

I can, and will, very shortly, defend TFA’s story-arc for the character, and I do think that at least in regards to the core concept, it manages to hold to its minion-to-hero premise. But I can see the weaknesses in it, the red herring marketing job sending a message of false hope, and where it can play into racial stereotypes. And I can see how TLJ, a movie I regard as very weakly written, aggravates each of those issues to the extent where, if they sting your perception of Finn enough, they spread like a cancer into TFA as well.

Finn’s story in TFA has three serious benchmarks in his story that use his background, psychology and Boyega’s acting to great effect, and do impart significance, agency, and power to him over the story: his first scene on Jakku, his confession to Rey, and the duel on Starkiller Base. On SKB, while he still acts goofy, he’s cementing a strategic victory for the heroes with his information, creativity, and the cumulative effect of his deeds throughout the film compile to destroy SKB and help humiliate Kylo Ren, who he does have a film-long antagonism with: he’s identified the weakness of SKB, guides Han and Chewie to destroy the two defenses of the weakness, the pilot exploiting that weakness is alive because of Finn, and he further injures and holds off Kylo even while supremely outmatched so Rey can recover and face a Kylo with multiple wounds, exhaustion, and wasted Force power.

In TFA, Finn is a significant contributing hero, arguably contributing more overall than anyone else and acting as the main storytelling character until the end.

And I can role with Finn expressing little hesitation about shooting his former compatriots: deserters are known to be dangerous, hostile to their former peers, and desperate above all else, and on top of that, First Order training deliberately dehumanizes everyone in the Stormtrooper Corps. And I could be wrong, but I think the only time he whoops and hollers while causing destruction is while shooting the gun emplacements, TIE fighters, and missles (feel free to correct me if I’m wrong) and that he doesn’t do that while shooting fellow stormtroopers. The lack of hesitation fits with FO training, his desperation, and he’s celebrating when he strikes targets not from his old corps. And while he’s sociable, he’s awkward, unaware of personal space boundaries and generally weird. So in TFA, while he’s humorous and good-hearted, I do see the rookie stormtrooper throughout the film when I watch him.

But I’m not going to pretend like his comedic usage doesn’t ever get into territory associated with “Token Black Character” stereotypes, or that he wins no personal fights in TFA, or that not having the Force is a handicap as a lead character in a Star Wars movie, since the focus tends to laser in on the Force characters. I can personally say he doesn’t succumb to them, but those elements are there.

And when TLJ takes, him, cordones him off into a sideplot full of busy work that’s underwritten and chopped down to save time and plagued by an apathy from the writer cutting off potential story-telling points, and one that seems to start with a lower opinion of him from TFA and ends up making him more of a comedic character and chastising him and using him as a bad student who needs lessons?

Yeah, the character, at best, has one good movie and one bad one, and at worst, is a comedic sidekick masquerading as a lead thanks to faux progressive thinking.

19. Blame_It_On_Lucas

Blame_It_On_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 29, 2004
    I don't know. I really liked Finn's growth in TLJ and the slow build to him committing to the Resistance. He felt important but I guess I'm the only one thinks that.

rorow1 and The Deuteragonist like this.
  20. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    You are not the only one who thinks that. As you can see, your point of view is far from isolated.

It's just that some other Finn fans from TFA, myself included, regard TLJ's main goal for Finn as redundant, or too small in scale, or badly executed, or all three. When TFA used the slow build, it was a slow build over quite a huge range of character development, generally executed strongly enough to be defended at most points, and, of course, as the first appearance of a character, everything in it was an original, first-time experience for the character. But TLJ's central premise, that Finn has not yet joined the Resistance quite enough yet (since I'd say Rian Johnson clearly felt he was pretty close already), is one that was implicitly covered during TFA, or at least that the bulk and meat of it was, making an already small goal even smaller. Finn running back to Han after the Hosnian System blows up and before he knows Rey is in trouble reads pretty clearly as him going from "I need to escape the First Order, even if it's a shame that everyone will suffer from them," to "Okay, that's too much; I need to help frustrate their goals to at least some extent." And when Rey gets captured and Finn volunteers to lead the raid on SKB to rescue her, it feels like a radicalizing catalyst that would firmly put him on the Resistance's side; it's easy for me to discount Finn's "I'm just here for Rey" from being a total truth because of the aforementioned scene where he returned to Han before she was in danger, so my mind immediately slips to sayign he's only volunteered for this particular insane mission because of Rey, and has already thrown his hat in with the Resistance the moment he abandoned the Crimson Corsair's escape ship.

And on top of all that, it's easy to argue that even the core principle of making TLJ about Finn getting fully on board with the Reisistance is just never going to be a weighty concept at all after TFA: I mean, Han got through that arc off screen between ANH and ESB, that's how inconsequential of a change that was.

And even if that reading feels like it's too far along, it's impossible to deny Finn's not 95% of the way to the goal TLJ has for him, and that Rian Johnson writes him that way: when the character is talked out of his desertion attempt by a few sentences with Rose after she tases him, and never brings up the desertion possibility ever again, well, then the writer is telling me it's not a weighty amount of character growth I'm going through. And it's not like the character grows much past that at all; he receives some perfunctory and dubiously structured education from Rose on some realities of the Galaxy, but, hey, he grew up in the First Order, and the film seems to want to portray him as innocently ignorant, a bit like its take on Rey as naive, and steadfastly refuses to exploit the rest of his runtime for anything major. I mean, even the relationship with Rose is not exactly developing as a major attraction, and that's in spite of Tran being a good actress and the character almost certainly existing to create a romantic bond with Finn, because Rian Johnson cut out *everything* that would have spiced up the character, from his original introduction plan for Finn that incorporated a reason for Rose and him to have a personal conflict to draw them to a greater understanding of each other, to several outright expliclty romantic or "Mean Girl" lines hinting at an attraction.

To a critic like me, the story in TLJ feels like its not worth praising or examining because its just not worth anything significant, particularity when compared to TFA and other character arcs throughout the Saga. About the only arc it might be better than is... Rey's in TLJ. And that's not a compliment to Finn's story, that's just a further indictment of Rey in TLJ.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  21. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    I don’t really consider whatever Rey did to be an arc. It’s way too incoherent. I don’t really know how she grew. Running off by choice on a suicide mission to save the soul of her abuser just to get abused and gaslit some more doesn’t seem like growth. Then she was doing normal Rey stuff five minutes later “woohooing,” but otherwise disappeared from the film. Kylo had an arc. Luke had an arc. Finn... I guess, although I think it’s 90% redundant and also borderline incoherent, because it comes off to me like he “grew” by joining the Resistance because he was shamed and belittled into it.

lookameatbag, 11-4D, afrojedi and 7 others like this.
  22. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Rey, Finn and Kylo's TLJ arc was to become annoying and unlikeable and make us not care.

23. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    If you replace the word "Finn" with "Luke" and "ST" with "OT", this post expresses probably hundreds of millions of people worldwide, who saw the OT some time in the last 42 years, and felt EXACTLY like that for Luke. You don't really have to change any other word for it to be accurate. So then you might realize why there is a vast amount of people that have a serious objection to how Mark Hamill's character was written in TLJ. Imagine seeing Finn bitter, sad, angry and a coward in IX.

Out of pure curiosity, and with 0% condescension on my part, how many movies do you think you have watched in general? I am sincerely curious, because Finn does not really strike me as a character for whom I would ever say that I haven't seen any character like before.

I wholeheartedly agree with you about the positives of Finn though. And I am glad he is adding diversity in the ST. I really hope he is portrayed much much MUCH better in IX. We need that. Star Wars needs that.

PS. I disagree with you about how Star Wars is problematic in representation. If anything, it's one of the healthiest franchises in representation. Not perfect, but not quite problematic.

24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Definitely true of Rey and Kylo. Finn is the character in whom I am most invested for IX.

That said, there still needs to be some course correction. Finn needs leadership in something other than getting parking tickets; like an entire movie along the lines of the “rebel scum” scene. Rey needs leadership and a functioning spine, as well as a functioning logic-brain; the impulse-emotional part of her brain was the only part that worked in TLJ.

25. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I probably should have not included Finn in that.

AhsokaSolo likes this.