main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Diversity in the Sequel Trilogy (see warning on page 11)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Rickleo123, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    That's a segment of the fans seeing what they want to see because then they'll have something to be socio-politically outraged over, not the company pushing that particular take as the intended one. ^

That's a bingo.

2. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Some good posts in here that have inspired me to clarify my own thoughts a bit. I suppose that I try to be a "credit where credit is due" and conversely a "criticism where criticism is due" kind of gal so I want to acknowledge the things I think the Sequel Trilogy does right in terms of diversity as well as the things I think the Sequel Trilogy could have done better or even outright bungled.

Do I give the Sequel Trilogy credit for having a female protagonist in Rey and making her the first major female character who was a Jedi in the main Star Wars movies? Yes. That is a significant milestone to me, so I personally want to recognize it. Even if it was the bare minimum, it was the bare minimum that had never before been reached in a main Star Wars movie. Do I criticize the Sequel Trilogy for making Rey's character journey revolve too much around Kylo's in TLJ, which I thought was a problem from both a feminist and a structural standpoint in terms of the story? Absolutely. That's why I see Jyn as far more successful protagonist than Rey and a character much more consistent with feminist thought.

Do I give the Sequel Trilogy credit for making Finn the first major black character in a Star Wars film? Certainly, and I do think that some effort was made to flesh out his character and give him a compelling backstory. Do I also criticize the Sequel Trilogy for doing some in my opinion tone-deaf things with Finn like having him tazed multiple times? Yeah, I do.

Do I celebrate the first interracial kiss in a Star Wars film between Rose and Finn as well as the first significant Star Wars character of what we on Earth would describe as Asian descent in Rose? Yes, I do. Do I also find it unfortunate that we don't have any openly LGBTQ+ characters in the Sequel Trilogy to date and must still rely on supplementary materials like new canon books for that type of diversity? Certainly I understand the concerns regarding that.

So, I guess to me I understand both sides to a degree. I understand the people who are dissatisfied with the diversity of the Sequel Trilogy and with how diverse characters are portrayed in the Sequel Trilogy since I share and echo many of their concerns and criticisms. Yet I also understand those who believe that the Sequel Trilogy has made important progress on the diversity front that should be acknowledged. That leaves me trying to offer credit where I can and criticism where I believe it is due. Hopefully this post can clear up my scattered perspective a bit.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    If we are not supposed to be “sociopolitically outraged” as you put it, the option is to give us characters that defy terrible traditional caricatures and stereotypes rather than conforming to them.

4. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    This could very easily devolve into yet another battleground in the “Reylo Wars.” How about we not do that, and keep the discussion in that particular thread.

5. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    I didn't raise the topic, but yeah, fair enough.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  6. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Yes.

But structurally, that is done by focusing on the POV of the protagonist first and foremost, making sure the story works for them above all else, and usually involves the most complex issues of the conflict with the antagonist. I mean, ultimately the protagonist is more important than the antagonist because they're the main viewpoint character for the audience and the one we're supposed to experience the emotional power of the story through. That's what gives the story more depth and dynamism: exploiting the protagonist's greater screen-time and focus to maximize story potential. Luke and Anakin (and Obi-Wan in TPM) showcase that in their second films, against primary and secondary antagonists: Luke's emotions and POV matter more than Vader's in ESB, and Dooku and the Sand People simply don't have any perspective power against Anakin's.

TFA follows in this pattern with Rey and Kylo; what matters more than his creepy fascination with her is her reaction to him. When he tortures her and violates her mind, its her pain and her fighting back that matters more. When he maims Finn and she rises to fight him, that's her moment, not his (in the same way Finn defiantly charging him was more about Finn than Kylo; Finn outranked Kylo as the deuteragonist). And even Han's murder, arguably Kylo's biggest moment, is equally about Han's exit (as the tritagonist above Kylo), and makes sur eot incude a major punctuation point in Rey's reaction, because again, the film needs her POV and emotions to be valued and focused on more than his overall, so even in his scene, her reaction is emphasized.

TLJ?

Doesn't follow the pattern. Doesn't value Rey's POV much at all, and definitely places it behind Luke's and Kylo's. And with Kylo, its especially egregious because of their protagonist/antagonist relationship, as her development is both crippled and twisted to serve his story instead of her own... even when his story doesn't actually develop him that much. Suddenly, her POV and reaction to the events of TFA doesn't matter and is forgotten: the film does not care about what Kylo did to her and Finn, barely cares about what Kylo did to Han, and only perfunctorily acknowledges the last and the very fact that Rey should be angry and afraid of him before quietly moving her to neutral and then compassionate and focused on Kylo at lightning speed and with not real cause for that. The film values Kylo's own POV above everyone else in the story; it's allowing his own personal narrative in his mind (which a good villain needs, but is also usually acknowledged as being wrong) to dismiss his obviously evil nature towards everyone else. The film doesn't establish a reason for Rey to confide in Kylo or have faith in "Ben" because it assumes that Kylo's perspective is understandable enough for the audience to roll with that.

The film gives Kylo a protagonist's viewpoint, but to the detriment of the story's dramatic potential. Kylo doesn't care about his victims and is self-centered, so the film doesn't care about his dead classmates and is apathetic towards Finn and Rey's initial and totally justified anger, or her basic survival instinct and even her human observational skills. This leads to Finn's story being largely meaningless and redundant busy work that doesn't impact the plot (aka, tokenism) and Rey's story becoming flatter, shallower, and less involved with her perspective. In other words, due to TLJ focusing on Kylo over Rey and Finn, the bulk of TLJ's screen time devoted to the newer heroes is wasted.

So, whether TLJ was intentionally made to be progressive or not, it wound up showing all the literary weaknesses of an accidentally sexist and somewhat racist story-arc.

7. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    How is TLJ not focused around Rey as the protagonist, though?

Her entire reason for trying to turn Ben is it's the shortest way to end the broader conflict. If Luke's not going to get off his ass and listen to her, and she sees a potential window of opportunity in getting Ben to see sense (yes, she's wrong as Luke warns, but...narrative journey and all that) then that's Rey being proactive in trying to get some peace going. She can't just march up and off Snoke on her own at the time, skills-wise, and figures they'll double their chances if she's right about Ben not being too far gone.

Ergo, the whole trying-to-turn-Ben-back thing is serving Rey's ends, if anything. It's in part for Leia's sake and in part because if she's right about him the First Order's days are numbered. Luke was plan A, that wasn't working, so she improvises.

That's all Rey as the active factor, it's her story.

8. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    @Aximili86 i think the thing you’re missing is that people voicing criticism doesn’t mean that they also don’t like the characters, or aren’t happy that Ridley, Boyega, Isaac, and Tran were cast in their respective roles.

Like, it’s great that they were all included in the new Star Wars films. They are easily the best part of the trilogy. But it doesn’t mean people can’t criticize the writing or the tone deaf marketing that consistently leaves Finn out.

For me, generally speaking I think the new films have done an ok job with representation. But there is still a lot of room for improvement, whether it’s writing, or including LGBTQ characters, or featuring a woc as a main character. It’s unfortunate that it’s taking as long as it is, especially considering the newer books and comics have done a much better job.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  9. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I think this idea is ultimately betrayed by the film itself.

If that were solidly the case, then Rey's scene waking up near an unconscious Kylo after both the Hyperspace Ram and him re-avowing his threat towards the Resistance and dedication to space-fascism, would be onscreen, focused on her perspective when faced with another short way to end the broader conflict by taking out or capturing the First Order's next highest ranking Force user, or at least show why she couldn't attempt that, or anything to give us an idea about what's going through her head during this moment of extreme physical vulnerability faced by all the bad guys in the wake of the Hyperspace Ram. But ultimately, the film is only really interested in Kylo waking up and assuming control of the First Order there. Rey's "pragmatism," as thin and pathetic as it already was, only really existed to facilitate this scene for Kylo's sake. And even the emotional weight of the scene, again as pathetic as it already is, is moved past and discarded in Rey's next appearance.

Adding to evidence that Rey has been demoted from protagonist for TLJ, in structure and function if not in screentime, is how Luke and his story-arc replace her at center stage for the film's ultimate climax, with Luke facing Kylo, his story having it's climax align with the film's own, and her only part in it being a small perfunctory scene that has no real build up towards it when she lifts some rocks, which comes off at best as an orphaned climax to a subplot that never appeared in the movie, and at worse as lazy writing that only values how Rey can help solve a conundrum Johnson accidentally wrote himself into, devoid of actual meaning for her character.

And Rey's place as an active factor in the story is sabotaged by a lack of real motivation or believable characterization, as seen in the way the film handles her interactions with Kylo earlier on. Again, a protagonist has a perspective that matters. And in TLJ, Rey's perspective did not matter to the writing process; if it did, than stuff that Kylo did days before would still matter to her interaction with him, instead of being whittled down to just Han's death and then quickly handwaved away with the idea that the patently evil sounding excuse Kylo makes before changing the subject is adeqaute. And even if Kylo hadn't done the things he did to Rey specifically, a Rey written as a real protagonist would still have compelling reasons given for why she'd think that confiding in this evil space Nazi and evil space wizard is a good idea, let alone why she would have faith in his totally unseen light side personality to save the day on her empty-handed appeal, not just a meta-narrative arguing that she can just copy Luke's tactics in ROTJ (if one incorrectly summarizes Luke's tactics there, as TLJ does.)

In TLJ, the actions she takes are not happening because of a believable character-based reason, but because the plot needs things to happen and needs to ignore things that are inconvenient to that as well... which is similar treatment Padme got in AOTC's scene where Anakin confesses he slaughtered women and children; he and his pain was the center of that sequence, because he was the protagonist, and she as a supporting character to his story was written to ignore some of the implications. It's just far more egregious in TLJ because Kylo's crimes aren't even being given a passing review aside from Han's death (especially not his murdered classmates), Rey is supposed to be the protagonist, and unlike Padme, Rey has no reason at all to start out with even a neutral opinion of the male in her scenes, having only received negative feedback and even more red flags throughout the film after getting plenty of reasons to justifiably hate and fear him in TFA.

TLJ, probably accidentally, prioritizes Kylo above Rey in all things dealing with storytelling and characterization. And again, whether you think its genuinely sexist or not, it definitely shows the writing weaknesses of sexism, and probably plays a part in some of the apathy and disinterest mainstream audience members feel towards Rey, who at least was at the center of plenty of discussion after TFA even among the mainstream guys.

(Incidentally, this isn't even starting on how clearly TLJ's story values both Luke and Kylo above Finn, who TFA's story had no problem valuing more than Kylo and Han, which again maybe shows that even if the film isn't really mean tot be racist, it certainly seems to want to make the character demoted to the third most screentime and happens to be black a skippable part of the movie that doesn't impact the main plots all that much... the way a film suffering accidental and benign racism would.)

10. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    I blame LF more than Disney on this one. In this super modern era, the ST is behind basically all the other Disney properties of the moment. The MCU finally, after 20 films, reached the inclusion bare minimum, but they did it and are continuing to do it with a bang. Their female/poc leads are not having their stories hijacked by whiny white dudes. They actually have stories about them. Meanwhile, in the Disney princess realm, we are getting stories about adventure and culture. They're not just about pretty princesses finding a man anymore.

LF, otoh, is just painfully clueless to behold. They don't even acknowledge the criticisms in this regard while they cynically and dishonestly support the premise that critics of the ST are racist and sexist. To me, Iger forcing Kevin Feige in there is almost acknowledgement of this. It's just like, holy crap KK and the people at LF are horrible at this. Let's have some real inclusion that isn't shallow, condescending pandering with lectures about how people should be grateful for table scraps.

11. starfish

Oct 9, 2003
    After 20 films the MCU has yet to include any LGBTQ characters or woc as the main characters. Though Black Panther included a number of kick ass women. Black Panther and Captain Marvel I think are both fantastic examples of where I would like both franchises to move towards.

In general I agree that marvel films have done a better job with regards to writing and including women and poc behind the scenes, like directors. But I think both franchises have work to do though.

12. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    Well with Ms. Marvel, there will be a woc lead. And I believe, but don't quote me, there will be an LGBTQ lead in an upcoming film, maybe The Eternals?

So yeah I just think their trajectory is better.

13. starfish

Oct 9, 2003
    Yeah I’m super excited about the Ms Marvel/kamala khan movie, is it a movie or tv show, I forget?

Those comics are fantastic and I’m looking forward to seeing them brought into the MCU

14. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    TV show to start, but I'm pumped too. Ms. Marvel is a favorite in my household. Hers is the only superhero book my daughter and I agree on.

15. starfish

Oct 9, 2003
    Yeah in my experience, as limited as it is, the character is universally praised

16. dragonchic

dragonchic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 9, 2015
    Having a diverse cast is great and all, but when you leave the writing and directing of the ST entirely up to white men, it's not that surprising that the white male villain just happens to increase in importance with every film while characters like Finn fall to the wayside. Which isn't to say it was done on purpose but, well, it's pretty telling that Rian Johnson said he expected everyone to naturally sympathize with Kylo just like he did. Other blockbusters aren't necessarily hitting it out of the park when it comes to diversity but I do think you see a noticeable difference when it's added behind the camera (e.g. Black Panther, Wonder Woman, etc).

17. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    @dragonchic That's a good point. When there is diversity added to people working on projects, that diversity often gets reflected and more respected in the final project as well.

18. Joystick Chevron

Joystick Chevron Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2017
    A fact that is *checks notes* not in the actual movie, the subject of the thread. Avoiding the subject in the films themselves is the issue.

Ah, this old argument. No, going into a film with 'let's make it about a gay character' isn't a bad thing. No one's saying you make a movie with a gay lead and not bother making it about anything else. I'm not even sure how one would happen to have a gay lead without actually planning it.

19. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    They wouldn't. Every character worth a lick is "planned". It just so happens that hetero relationships are what people expect, so it doesn't feel "forced" to them. The whole "forced" argument is from people not checking their privilege. "If it's not what I'm used to then it's forced, or unnatural, or SJW, or being rammed down my throat", or some other butthurt complaint of the privileged majority. They always fail to realize that doing something that they're not used to will ALWAYS feel strange, and that the only way to overcome that is to do it anyway until it doesn't feel strange anymore. But, that requires people to be open minded and willing to change their perspective, which most people aren't willing to do.

20. j-jawa3

j-jawa3 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2004
    When I first saw Star Wars in "77, I did not look for diversity or take it apart looking for specific inclusions and such, I immedietly took to Jawas and Stormtroopers, who knew what genders they were under the cloaks and armor! me and millions of others did not care. the rest of the OT was smooth and very involving and entertaining-as only GL could do. diversity was addressed early, but people were not hung up on it. I see the ST, I see characters, some I don't like(Kylo) I try to see the story(very hard to do so) I do take the movies apart(Rey is Luke's daughter) I love Porgs, I'm disturbed over the thinning out of the use of the Force, it may totally vanish from the ST in the future! I do see the variety of different races of people, it's good.but the story is the main focus, you have alien biological races, humans, droids etc. they all form the story as they are written in it. Can we look beyond current human-earth social values and pretend we are part of a "larger universe"? Let us try to go beyond diversity and inclusion and just enjoy the movies as best we can without tearing them to pieces for social values sake. pretend you are a child again.

21. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018

You plan it in the sense that it's what you want to do, it's relevant to the things you're showing on-screen. That's a whole different thing to approaching it like a recipe with a "we need a _____ and a _____ by decree".

Like, the Lando/L3 stuff felt pretty natural, less-explicit/obvious as it may have admittedly been. That felt like sure, Lando being Lando, the guy's probably basically "pansexual" in some Star Wars version of the term. It wasn't there because "people online are demanding different types of relationships, right now right away, guess we better throw something into this film" - at least if that was the cynical reality, it didn't come off that way.

Hell, I think having Poe being gay would be an awesome movie. Doesn't seem it's going to be the case now that Zorii's around, but if Poe were gay in TFA it would have come off pretty natural. Yes, a certain segment of the "no wimminz or non-whites"! Twitter jackasses would be up-in-arms anyway, but nobody needs to listen to them. There's also a reasonable middle position here, where you can start having a higher degree of diverse people in Star Wars (I'd argue they've already done that) without operating on some knee-jerk PR zeitgeist level. They haven't done that so far, and they shouldn't start. A more openly-gay character's bound to show up in the series, I'd put money on it. But it shouldn't be some reactionary better-cover-our-asses move.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  22. Joystick Chevron

Joystick Chevron Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2017
    They didn't say anything about him being pansexual in some made up Star Wars version of the term (an idea that would be even worse), they said he was pansexual in the real world definition of the term. Not to mention that 'straight guy wants to get with feminine-coded robot' is a long standing sci fi trope that isn't based on pansexuality. Coming out in an interview and going "oh, well, he's pan" is just part of an increasingly common trend of creators coming out and saying characters are queer without actually putting it in the text. They want the credit for being progressive on this front without doing anything progressive.

You're the only one claiming some knee-jerk, 'cover our asses' move here. Wanting gay characters in Star Wars movies isn't asking for anything more than what it says it is, wanting to be see better representation for a minority group on film.

23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I agree with you that Star Wars was very diverse from the outset, and I would say progressive as well with its portrayal of Leia (I can see Lando as a progressive portrayal as a successful man of color as well, but I’ll leave it to posters of color here to indicate whether I am right or wrong).

What many of us are asking for is that Star Wars not go backwards from that.

24. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    I'm just wondering how it's "gone backwards" though, or why that's even a concern. They've kind of proven their ethos by now, no? It's way more diverse than it was during the George/Fox years already, by quite a bit.

And that's obviously not a criticism, it's welcome. But thing is, there's no point when complaining's going to stop, the nature of this is that it's never enough and they're going to be socially-trailing cavemen to some.

25. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    Maybe you didn't notice the lack of women or people of color in the OT when you were a child, but as a child I did. I noticed that there weren't that many female characters in the OT and even though I loved and admired Leia, she didn't entirely make up for that lack of other significant female characters. My brother and I commented that Lando was the only non-white human character in the OT when we were children. We noticed these things not because we were picking the films apart but because the galaxy far, far away with exotic alien creatures in some ways didn't even manage to accurately depict the diversity we saw in the world around us.

Perhaps we didn't know the genders of the Jawas and the Stormtroopers, but for a majority of the characters whom we knew the gender of, those characters were clearly male, and that's the point. The OT was heavily male-dominated. For some people, that does make the story less believable and enjoyable. Maybe you aren't among those people, but those people still exist and matter.

Yes, the OT movies were excellent. That's why they've remained popular so long. The way they handled diversity might have been appropriate and even progressive for 1977, but not for 2019. Maybe people in 1977 didn't talk about diversity in entertainment but people in 2019 do. People in 2019 do want media and entertainment that reflects the diversity of our modern world. Times change. So do entertainment and media. What worked in 1977 isn't going to work in 2019.

People are quite capable of seeing the plot and characters of the ST while also being allowed to discuss the diversity of the characters who appear in the ST. Discussing the diversity of the characters in the ST doesn't mean no discussion of the plot and characters of the ST takes place. There are plenty of threads around here that discuss those things. This is the diversity thread, though, so, in it the topic of diversity does take center stage. If you don't find that topic interesting and important, that's fine, but plenty of people do. That's why this thread exists, because some people find the topic of diversity in the ST worthy of discussion.

To be honest, telling people on a thread dedicated to discussing diversity that they shouldn't bother being concerned about how diverse people are represented does to me come across as a bit marginalizing in its own right. It comes across to me as saying that groups of people who have been historically marginalized (a marginalization that continues into the present era) in both society and media shouldn't care about how they are represented in entertainment. The marginalization certain groups of people experience in the real world is often reflected in the marginalization of those same groups of people in media and entertainment. That's why many people care. They're tired of being marginalized in entertainment as well as society as a whole or they're tired of seeing other groups of people marginalized.

Sure, we can pretend that we are part of a larger Star Wars universe. A universe that presumably includes people of all genders, races, and sexual orientations who can be depicted on screen. After all, if we can show Porgs, we can certainly include LGBTQ+ characters as well.

Personally, I don't want to move beyond diversity and inclusion. I want to see diversity and inclusion in Star Wars and other forms of entertainment.

The OT was progressive for its era. Many people like myself would like the ST to be progressive for its era in terms of the inclusion of diverse characters. Yes, the ST is more diverse than the OT and the PT in terms of having a female protagonist, a major non-white character, the first significant character of what we on Earth would call Asian descent, and an interracial kiss. Now people are naturally going to have conversations about how adequate the representation of diverse characters was. That's the thing with representation in entertainment and media. Once it occurs, many people will want to have important discussions about how effective and accurate the representation was. Personally, I don't consider those important conversations to be whining.