main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Diversity in the Sequel Trilogy (see warning on page 11)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Rickleo123, Nov 29, 2016.

1. K2771991

K2771991 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 21, 2019
    Yeah well, they don't have nearly as much power as they think they do, and their just discrediting themselves in the eyes of the world in the long run with their stupidity.

I never said anything of the sort regarding the bolded. But on the flip side when you stand your ground and take them to task you take away whatever imaginary power idiots like that feel like they have.

We'll of course, but at the same time surely you would'nt expect them to rethink their opinions or change their minds by taking your opinion into account, would you?

I don't see why they would'nt.

I'm sure other peaple could give you reasons to explain that, but I'm not going to becuase I don't agree with the premise that the film thinks that his feelings are more importent then anyone elses.

That's a matter of personal taste, so while I might feelt Johnson took the more interesting choice you may feel differently. But since you asked it's becuase I liked the chemistry between Finn and Rose/Boyaga and Tran better then that between Finn and Rey/Boyaga and Ridley, and I thought the dymanic between Kylo and Rey was more worth the films time then re-hashing things between her and Finn. Not only that, but I really enjoyed seeing Finn get a chance to step out of Rey's shadow, so to speak, as I felt he was more of a glorified sidekick in TFA.

Well, I can't say your wrong. But speaking for myself I look at a movies quality first before I look at the gender and ethnicities of it's stars, and I don't need every film to send some sort of message - sometimes I just want to have fun and escape the real world, were those problems are all too present and unavoidable; surely that's not too much to ask?

Well, the only time I've brought up pandering is in a hypothetical sense regarding non-organic tokenism, which IMO does the exact opposite of leveling the playing field, does'nt do much - if anything - to solve the problems we are discussing and does'nt respect the audience, irregardless of their race, gender or sexual orentation.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
  2. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I stand corrected don numerous parts of my post there. Still... the MCU proper under Feige had to get his superior removed before he could green light their first super heroine-specific movie, and I’d argue that Catwoman, Elektra, and Supergirl show where Hollywood seemed to succumb to their own lack of faith in those properties, and wound up either modifying them so heavily or being so lazy with them they wasted their potential... and how sometimes male creators could struggle with female heroes.
    Here’s the problem with that viewpoint; it’s a naive one to take because you’re expecting enough Hollywood executives to share your opinion that they wouldn’t flinch or try and avoid “offending” demographics that would object to it. That’s what made the satirical point about how few interracial fictional relationships have a white woman as the love interest so painful - it was noticing that Hollywood seemed to believe that there was a “safe” amount of integration it could follow, but that they still believed enough of the audience would either be aggravated by a white woman in an interracial relationship - or, perhaps more blandly, be apathetic and “unconvinced” of it - that they’d lose money.

That’s the part of systemic racism in the arts that is perhaps the most aggravating part - the cowardice and cynicism.
    I’d say it would be disingenuous to argue that a lot of us aren’t looking at the movie’s quality first.

After all, if someone finds the film dreary, contemptible stupid, or just weirdly illogical, doesn’t it make sense they might wonder why, then realize it’s because the creators might have struggled with certain set-ups (like Johnson seeming a bit apathetic and unambitious with an Action Girl, as opposed to his usual forte in femme fatales, Ingenues, and matriarchs), or believed certain dubious generalizations (like Johnson thinking Kylo being relatable or believably sympathetic to Rey fans), or massively misjudged a characters value in their perception (like Johnson ignoring that Finn is a child slave soldier in his script even as his story directly addresses child slaves)...

...because they have a sheltered and privileged view that is askew?

I mean, I’ve commented before that I find Rey’s TLJ story insulting and Finn’s horribly apathetic and condescending... but the nuance of me, a white guy, saying that is not really that I’m offended the way a woman might be - it’s that the story feels like the kind of stupid, unambitious tripe that sexism tended to engender in fiction for so long, or the kind of skipped-over dramatic potential caused by a bias and prejudice that excluded the character.

I mean, ethically, yeah, I think TLJ is kind of indefensible - too many defenses of those stories are just personal subjective opinions that can seem apathetic towards the way demographics represented by those character might feel; there’s a reason why the best defenders of Reylo tend to be young women, or how a black fan of Finn’s TLJ story is better equipped to defend that story... but also why it’s somewhat measurable that both those demographics faded away and left the ST in greater numbers and proportion than white guy fans as time went on.

But strictly on a taste level... I get sick of stories where Lois Lane is regressed to the nadir of the Silver Age, and becomes a ditzy would-be-50’s housewife, or where no-one in Hollywood wants to make a movie about the WWI Harlem Hellfighters or Bass Reeves (maybe the only real world lawman who was a freakishly fast and accurate draw), or where someone writes a King Arthur story where all the girls are going through a poor man’s soap opera instead fo getting into politics or warfare.

To me, TLJ is a prime example of a film that, whether it’s necessarily sexist or racist or not, most definitely shows the intellectual limits, predictability, and weaknesses of sexism and racism.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
  3. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    No harm, no foul. It was mainly me flexing needlessly. l grew up with some of these, so that's why I had thoughts on them. But Catwoman and Elektra's problems aren't in not knowing how to write women.

4. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    Why is that naive?

Believe it or not - and I know it can be easy to forget when Donald Trump is president and you just need to turn on the news to see peaple arguing in defense of Confederate statues erected during the civil rights era - most peaple are not racists and don't really give two figs about interacial marriage.

You call me naive, but I could just as easily call you paranoid;)

Well, I'm a fan of Rey and I think Kylo is believably sympathetic, and while I do think it would be interesting to have Finn have done Stormtrooper revolt thing, I don't think the fact that he did'nt is damaging to his character - I mean, it was never a thing that was set up anyway, just (like a lot of things) a fan theory that took on a life of its own and peaple decided to throw a fit when they did'nt get.

Funny, I can defend the movie just fine and I think I'm a pretty ethical person[face_thinking]

And yeah, a lot of the defenses are personal subjective opinions - that's the way opinions work; I can say the same thing about you and the other peaple who attack the film - you doing that becuase of your own personal, subjective opinions as well, are'nt you?

My cousin is both a young woman woman and half-black and she's a Star Wars fan becuase of the ST, so clearly their not all jumping ship becuase it's such a "indefensibly" racist and sexist film.

I'm reasonably sure I have seen a movie about Bass Reeves. I don't recall it being a good movie, but I do belive I saw one.

And that is a very specific take on King Arthur, and not one I can ever recall seeing.

And to me it's a film that's bold, written by a very clever and imagintive man, decided to be unpredictable when fans demanded predictability and is'nt in the least bit sexist or racist.

So which of us is right, and which is wrong? I'd argue "both of us, but also neither of us."

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    We could debate whether you’re wrong or there is too much voter suppression or a little of both, but that’s not for this thread. Personally I’m good being considered “paranoid” though.

I don’t think Johnson is racist or sexist either but he has a blind spot for Kylo and did not prioritize avoiding antiquated stereotypes.

As long as they can influence public policy, vote their kind into office as we see happening all over the world, and convince Hollywood that their money is worth trying to get, they have too much power.

Nope.

I agree about Finn and Rose, and I definitely think Finn needed to be out of Rey’s shadow, because she ended up not being worthy of his time and energy.

Quality of the film and the importance of non-stereotypical representation among its stars are not mutually exclusive goals by any means, quite the opposite in fact. And the ability to “escape“ problematic sociopolitical issues is a luxury that not everyone has, and it is not at all fun for me to see antiquated dynamics and examples of privilege represented as a positive on screen. And Star Wars has always been political, and in a good way. The Alliance and the Resistance are both anti-fascist, and far more diverse than their fascist counterparts.

That is why Rey’s overall characterization and the “you’re supposed to find him sympathetic” messaging around Kylo was so mind-boggling, especially on the heels of a movie that had a take-no-bull**** woman leading a very ethnically diverse group of men to take down the Death Star, causing a grown-ass temperamental white man to get pwned by Vader and then killed. That was a very high quality film that defied old stereotypes. Definitely possible to do both in the Star Wars universe.

I’d point to both Rebels and TCW as doing the same.

afrojedi likes this.
  6. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    Voter suppression?:confused:

Maybe Johnson just did'nt see stereotypes were you did? And as such he did'nt see anything to avoid?

After all, if I don't see stereotypes were you do, is it so unbelivable that he would'nt as well?

I doubt many racists and sexist in political office care much about Hollywood, considering that many of them overlap with a far-right crowd that overwelming considers Hollywood to be controlled by a leftist conspiracy.

Well, suffice to say we don't want him to step out of her shadow for the same reasons, as I defiantly don't share that view; Rey and Finn's freindship is one of my favorite parts of the film, and while I was super glad to see Finn get to strech his legs in TLJ, I was also happy to see them get to team up agian in TROS.

Well, I can see how it would be hard for you to escape it if you see "antiquated dynamics" and "examples of privilege" but I don't see those things. I see a fun, clever sci-fi film that lets me escape the real world for a few hours like I used to when I would watch the OT as a little kid - now maybe some peaple can't find escapism in the film, and I'm sorry for them, but I can just fine, so the film serves its purpose.

Cool?

I'm just saying I don't need films to send a message. That's not something I look for in my general moviegoing experience (I usually wait for the movies with the heavy political messages to come out, since I tend to go to the theater to have fun, not think deeply).

I think you might have reading to much into ANH, but if that's the message the film imparted on you then more power to you, I'm sure their are plenty of peaple who found TFA, TLJ and TROS equally as empowering for different reasons (though I'd hardly consider Obi-Wan to be temperamental or the Rebels in ANH to be ethnicity diverse).

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  7. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Donald Trump is a well know bigot and misogynist. Him being elected POTUS is reflective of a lot of issues in the US (which aren't unique to the US)... and those issues are reflected in the media and entertainment business i.e. it's run by predominately white, middle class men, whom are out to, if not protect their interests, have their interests reflected back at them.

8. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Lol I think @anakinfansince1983 was talking about Rogue One. That is a hilarious description of ANH.

9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yes, and it’s widespread

We need a common ground here to discuss this further and from prior conversations on this subject, we aren’t going to get one. I stand by what I said.

@Darth PJ covered it pretty well, and the racists and sexists in political office certainly care when they complain when a Hollywood star criticizes Trump in public.

I liked their friendship in TFA as well but after that he needed to move on. Rey wasn’t worth his time.

Obi-Wan wasn’t in Rogue One, nor were any of the Rebels in ANH except Mon Mothma and Leia.

afrojedi and Darth PJ like this.
  10. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    Rey and Poe would be traditional in the sense that you have a roguish guy and a feisty but prudish girl in the manner of Han and Leia (LFL really tried their damnest to make Poe the new Han so...). Which is why this ship was popular with some old-school SW fans such as Collider set, and I imagine CT is one of those guys. And given that ST wanted to evoke OT to the point of being a soft reboot, such romance wouldn't be out of place. That said, JJ and Rian, directors who ended up directing ST movies, had other plans which boiled down to "what if Obi Wan was a girl and Anakin fell in love with her (and vice versa)". Good idea with lots of execution hickups like many good ideas. But good idea nonetheless.

11. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    I first read Le Morte d’Arthur when I was in fourth/fifth grade (which was probably the single biggest leap in my reading comprehension skills), and it’s ground zero for that idea “Female characters = only soap opera players” trope in the mythos, which thankfully *has* been dying off left and right over the centuries... but still creeps up in the occasional adaptation - which also thankfully ends up 9/10 times being forgotten in the modern literary landscape.

General rule of thumb; the more Guinevere, Morgana, Morgause, and Anna are given actual characterization and politics of their own, the better the adaptation is going to be... though there’s always that risk where the only politcally active woman is an “evil” one, which can feel like a counter active example fo agency (a “See, she’s evil! Because she’s smart and powerful!”)

Le Morte d’Arthur noticeably only treats women as bystanders or “social life soldiers” who play Mean Girls for keeps... so what you tend to see is the the more bland and less interesting Arthurian adaptation almost uniformly keep Guinevere in a portrayal where her only function and characterization is cheating on Arthur, where the other “good” ladies only sit around being fought over as trophies, or being vaguely motivated evil witches. And you know you’re in for a boring time whenever Morgana/Morgause (whichever Queen of Air and Darkness the story is going with) follow suit from Le Morte d’Arthur and doesn’t apply the politcal aspect that most writers latch onto intuitively today; it’s thankfully rare, but some of those dull, easily passed-up-on books that are just Le Morte d’Arthur repackaged keep the idea of Morgause just being a woman of “loose morals” or make Morgana’s main goal in life being exposing Guinevere’s adultery for having her own adultery exposed.

It’s rare... but I’ve still had several library trips end with me going “Oh, seriously? We’re going to have 2 straight chapters focusing on Isolde/Guinevere pining for Tristram/Lancelot and only that again?”

(I mean... I don’t even like Camelot the musical all that much, because “Jenny’s” all by her lonesome as an actual female person, and her story is literally just crushing on Lancelot. In comparison, some Late Middle Ages Irish romance that gives Arthur a badass action girl daughter named Melora kept my interest far more.)

Good idea... provided you realize after TFA that it’s not supporting character Obi-Wan crushing on PT Anakin, but a main character who more closely resembles Luke crushing on a more bratty and less respectable OT Vader, but without any family ties.

It’s a mistake to think that Rey should be the Obi-Wan counterpart here, if for no other reason than ObI-Wan was a supporting character in those movies, and Rey’s not a supporting character.

12. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    Rey is not a supporting character and being a female Obi Wan is simply to say that they used a Prequel reference here. Which is true that they referenced Prequels in Kylo case and Rey's relationship with him. I'd say that Force bond is really Padme's Ruminations on steroids. So maybe I should have said that Rey is if Padme was a Jedi and main POV character.

They seem to sense each other across the city, almost as if they can see each other. In TLJ and TROS, Rey and Kylo can sense, see and touch each other across the galaxy and even pass objects between each other. This first Force Bond is very much staged like Padme's Ruminations:

13. NHB0M

NHB0M Jedi Master star 4

Dec 13, 2016
    They are in the government and law enforcement. People gets killed by bigots with minimal to no justice, they gets no access to jobs, housing and higher education because of systemic racism established and maintained by bigots for generations. The rest of the world is immune.

14. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    Any which way the characters were arranged there would still be people finding something to complain or be offended by. That's just the age we live in, unfortunately.

K2771991 likes this.
  15. NHB0M

NHB0M Jedi Master star 4

Dec 13, 2016
    I meant *isn't* immune.

16. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    I did'nt vote for him, I don't care what he thinks, he's an idiot who only "won" by a technicality (and arrogance/stupidity on the part of both the democrats and some of their voters:rolleyes:), the majority of the country hates him and he's as embattled as the western front.

Cheeto Benito does'nt repersent the majority of the opinions of the peaple in my country, believe you me.

And their slowly getting weeded away by pushback from the 99 percent of the world who don't put up with their stupity, all the while making their failings blatently obvious to the general public and discrediting themselves while doing so.

I don't care about the opinions of the bigots holding on to the last scraps of their "power." I care about the good peaple in goverment and law enforcement, and I don't for a second think they repersent the minority of those two groups.

I thought you were talking about ANH, since you mentioned destroying the Death Star and someone specific getting killed by Vader.

Still, the point stands. If that's the message you took away from R1, more power to you. That's not the message I took away from it, though.

I don't see what that has to do with my point that most peaple don't have any issue with interacial marriage.

That's fine, and you could be right regarding Johnson. I don't know the man, however, so I'm not comfortable making assumptions regarding his views - intentional or otherwise - regarding race and gender politics. That's not my place.

They "care" in the sense that they complain. Hollywood does'nt care what they think, hence why they keep making movies with a progressive agenda that conflicts directly with their narrow one.

I don't agree. I think their friendship is one of the best and most relatable in the francise.

Le Morte d'Arthur was published in the freaking 15th Century, lol. I don't really think it should be suprising that it does'nt cast woman in an overall positive light.

Err...Obi-Wan's not a supporting character in the PT.

17. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    That’s disingenuous.

Offense is mostly the product of execution. There are a lot of ways to make “Rey teams up with Kylo and starts to care about him” not sexist. There are a lot of ways to make “Finn encounters cold slaves on a mainstream Galactic planet” not be meaningless tokenism (in fact, this one is honestly a lot easier than the Rey and Kylo one.)

The fact is TFA did a much better job with a black male lead and a female main hero, and that RO could succeed in a similar fashion with a Latino male lead and another female main hero, than TLJ did. Very little about TLJ’s concepts “required” it to be so apathetic, unambitious, and accidentally racist or sexist.

Perfection may be impossible, but a good job is still markedly better than a poor job. The Last Jedi did a poor job.
    And Le Morte d’Arthur is still the most commonly accepted “canon” of Arthurian fiction.

Camelot the musical is just an adaptation of T. H. White’s updating of Le Morte d’Arthur... but with most of the political commentary removed, and maintaining LMDA’s rather prosaic version of Guinevere still stuck just being in a soap opera for the entire time.

There are some truly fantastic adaptations of LMDA’s story that actually have intelligent writing for their women characters - Marion Zimmer Bradley’s Mists of Avalon and Gerald Morris’s Squire’s Tales are two that deserve more attention.

But there’s an awful lot of adaptations of LMDA that don’t really do a whole lot, faithfully maintain its status quo, and bury hidden treasures like the Arthurian Mysteries by Tony Hays under hundred different versions of the 15th century story. That’s the problem.
    Err... Yes he is.

Anakin is clearly the main and over-arching protagonist. Obi-Wan supports Anakin’s story.

afrojedi, Darth PJ, Jedi Ben and 3 others like this.
  18. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    I don't think his point was disingenuous at all.

For instance, you say offense is mostly the product of execution and say their are ways to make Rey "not sexist" but the fact that she is dipicted in a sexist way is itself an opinion, so it defiantly seems like offense in this case is the product of personal taste, rather then execution.

And there are plenty of stories that take different spins on the narrative that make the woman less "prosaic" (though I don't really understand the critism and I think it's a highly subjective issue in this case); BBC's Merlin, for instance, were Morgana is dipicted in a largly sympathtic light and Guinevere is both A) black and B) ends up being sole ruler of Camelot at the end. Also the 2004 King Arthur film, were Guinevere is dipicted as a warrior-woman who fights alongside the men (and I think there's even an anime were King Arthur himself is a girl, but I'm not super into Anime outside of a few specific shows so I can't say if I'm dreaming things up or not or even if it's a good dipiction of the character).

No, Anakin is the central protagonist, but he is just one of four main characters (the others being Obi-Wan, Padme and, in TPM, Qui-Gon).

Just like how the main characters in the OT are Luke, Han, Leia, Vader (and Lando in ROTJ) and those in the ST are Rey, Finn, Poe, Kylo (and Rose in TLJ). Star Wars has always been built around the ensamble.

Iron_lord likes this.
  19. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Clearly Anakin, Luke and Rey are the respective lead, or central, protagonists of their respective trilogies. All other characters are, to various degrees, supporting characters, even if Leia, Finn, Padme etc. are significant (or central) characters in their own right. It's semantics really.;)

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  20. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    It's possible to have more then one main character, even if their is still a central main character. So while yes, Anakin, Luke and Rey are the central protagonists, their not the leads - or rather, their not the sole leads; agian, these are ensamble films.

The only Star Wars film that can really be argued to have a single main character is Solo, but even then that's iffy.

21. Alliyah Skywalker

Alliyah Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2017
    Before she is given a reason to feel vengeful to Merlin but the writers instead turn her into a muhaha-villain who now feels nothing anymore to people she previously deeply loved and who did nothing to her starting with Season 3? I have a lot of fondness for that show but they really, really ultimately bungled Morgana`s turn. The miniseries "Mists of Avalon" is one with a truly sympathetic portrayal of Morgana and a more well-rounded depiction of female characters in Arthurian lore.

22. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    I mean, I kinda saw it coming that she'd eventually slip so far she'd just become regular old evil, so I was'nt really suprised by that, but I can at least agree that it all happened a bit to fast.

I was more just to trying to point out that their are in fact versions of Arthurian myth that show the female characters in a more complex/positive/well-rounded light then how their showing in the classical texts. I've never heard of Mist of Avalon so I could'nt comment on that.

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Mists of Avalon is awesome. It shows how women were powerful before men decided that they were going to use (false) religious reasons to demonize female empowerment.

afrojedi and Alliyah Skywalker like this.
  24. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    No, offense is largely in the eye of the beholder.

You found much of the st offensive. That's fair. That is also your own personal opinion.

K2771991 likes this.
  25. FromDromundKaasWithLove

FromDromundKaasWithLove Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2020
    I've never seen the Mist of Avalon series but I'm not so... fond of the book since I can't divorce the text from its creator Marion Zimmer Bradley due to how it feels like her pedophilia is on display throughout it.