main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Do the Sequels increase or decrease the value of the saga to you?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth Weavile, May 11, 2022.

?

Did the Sequels have a positive impact on the Star Wars saga to you?

1. Yes

23 vote(s)
    26.4%
  2. No

64 vote(s)
    73.6%
  1. Watcherwithin

Watcherwithin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2017
    He didn’t have the term midi-chlorians, but had established strength in the force was related to biology, and the brains of different organisms

Darkslayer and Arawn_Fenn like this.
  2. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    If Midi-chlorians are organisms in your cells that connects to the Force, isn’t that close to Scientology theology?

Darth__Lobot and Watcherwithin like this.
  3. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    pretty much this for me too.

darkspine10 likes this.
  4. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    I'm old... 45 - so old enough to see ROTJ in the theater (and I think TESB, but I don't remember that). Honestly to me most Star Wars movies that have come out since the OT have been mediocre at best. Rogue One is the only film out of all of them I've really liked. However, I have two daughters and one of them is a huge Rey fan and I got to take her to all the ST movies. So yeah, I'm glad they made them. Did I like them that much? No, but other people apparently did so if the movies brought them joy that's good.

Life is too short to waste it hating on things that don't even matter. Now - arguing about things that don't matter is fun... but all the actual hating is nuts.

5. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    It's like poetry - it rhymes

6. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    No. The story could easily end at VI. What the sequels could have done was expand the story and give us a good reason why the story should carry on. What was left unresolved at the end of VI? The only episode that tried to do that was IX which revealed that Palpatine had worked out how to cheat death. It also gave us Exegol and the heart of the Sith. TFA and TLJ were missed opportunities to do world building and just chose to press the reset button and repeat what we'd already seen.

SW Saga Fan likes this.
  7. Darth Winzer

Darth Winzer Jedi Youngling

Jul 9, 2022
    I have lots of problems with the prequels, but I'd be willing to say they generally have a positive impact on Star Wars as a whole. The sequels on the other hand feel like a star wars fever dream. Characters move from point A to point B without developing emotionally at all. There was a lit of potential here, a lot of opportunities for them to tell a story that was a little new and fresh but still felt like a Star Wars film. But those opportunities were overshadowed by conflicts between directors and a lack of follow through. Forget about the kid force pulling the broom. Where was the follow up for our main characters? Poe was knocked down a peg in the last film and shown that his loose gun style of leadership would cost lives. Where was the follow up to show that this experience changed him? Apply those t
    Last two sentences to Rey and Fin. Chewbacca had more emotional development than Rey did.

"The shield is strong enough to deflect any bombardment."
    But the shield only covers 1/4th of the planet. So flying laterally off world is not an option, the Imperials would simply snipe their ships out of the air from space. Using the Ion Canon to break out through the blockade is the only reasonable option.

In The Force Awakens Han Solo's strategy for infiltrating Starkiller Base is to exit hyperspace in the atmosphere. (Also insert the insane hyperspace hopping garbage from the beginning of TROS)

Ships don't jump in and out of hyperspace in the gravity well of a planet. It's one of the details that makes the escape from Mos Eisley, the Battle of Hoth, and the escape from Theed all make sense.

This makes for cool visual effects, but cheapens the franchise as a whole by making a lot of key moments from the previous movies seem silly.

8. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I feel like TCW started it.

9. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015

Speaking of that, this video sums up what damage the ST has done to the legacy characters such as Luke, Han and Leia, and the main story and morality tale told in both the OT and PT, and the whole structure of the Star Wars universe as well, by "subverting expectations" as the folks at Disney/Lucasfilm would say:

10. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    That's the approach I'm taking now: everything that is Disney-Star Wars has become optional to me. I can take it or leave it, and ignore everything that Disney has tried to craft after Return of the Jedi...

Palp_Faction and Sith Lord 2015 like this.
  11. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    No.

TFA: A soulles, cynical corporate product. I only like some of the stuff with Finn, if only because Boyega brings real heart to his character.

TLJ: There is some good in this movie; unlike Abrams, Johnson at least has some talent. But the bad is so godawful terrible that, it completely wipes out any good in the movie.

TROS: A hilarious mess. I only like Lando and Threepio in this.

Frankly, I blasted the entire trilogy out of my headcanon a long time ago.

12. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    I've said this a million times, but wait 5-10 years and we'll see what the general sentiment is.

Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don’t know that anyone’s opinion on the PT has actually changed, and no, it has nothing to do with age at the time they were released—there are many users here who were PT era kids who disliked it and plenty who were adults at the time such as myself who did like it.

I don’t know why people who dislike the ST now would start liking it in 5-10 years.

And don’t bother with the crass and disgusting ageism that is ‘They will be better viewed when Gen X dies.’

wobbits and Darth Weavile like this.
  14. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    The Children who watched them will shape it like the Prequel trilogy.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2022
    clone commander bossk likes this.
  15. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    Just look at what happened with Obi-Wan, people were thrilled to see Ewan and Hayden back. Looks like opinions have changed to me.

16. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Wait for E10-12 to come out and watch the nostalgia for the ST grow, becaus the next trilogy is worse

Last edited: Jul 18, 2022
    Darth Weavile and Count Yubnub like this.
  17. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    With modern Hollywood i believe it.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Apparently you did not read what I wrote or chose to ignore it. Like or dislike of the PT is not along generational lines at all. So no, the “children” who watched them will not “shape” them. My children watched them and have not cared about Star Wars since.

Or they just like Obi-Wan and wanted a show about him, especially after TCW, which was well received. And the final episodes included Hayden. I don’t recall there ever being disdain for Ewan.

If I see any substantial number of posts here that say “I hated the PT at the time but love it now” I’ll reassess my take. I have yet to see that though.

That would be my concern.

19. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I dissgree with you there.

clone commander bossk likes this.
  20. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Well, the sequels have BB-8 and porgs and Babu Frik. You do the math.

Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  21. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    This thought process is only true if one accepts that the PT was universally hated back in the day.
    Which is simply wrong.

If you are saying that these 3 are enough for people to resonate with the ST in 10 years, oh boy we are in trouble.
    People resonate with the PT for a whole lot more than cute creatures and droids.

22. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    And Dobbu Scay!

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I like BB-8, the Porgs and Babu Frick and probably will in 10 years.

24. Sky_alma

Sky_alma Jedi Master star 3

Jun 27, 2022
    I was a prequel era kid (lol, time flies) and to this date the prequel movies remain my favourite. And while I think that growing up with them and all the fond memories are obviously going to be a positive influencing factor, I remember loving them since day one. We should also take into account that the way we use the Internet nowadays is very different to the early 2000s. Sure, fans used forums to express their opinions, but by the time Attack of the Clones came out I was nine and I didn't really have that much access to the Internet, while nowadays most kids have access to social media etc. and it's easier for them to express their opinions.

What I mean to say with this is that I don't think that as the years have gone by, fans' love for the prequels has increased or anything like that. I think that the love for the prequels was already there, the difference being that now it's easier for all of us to voice our opinions :)

25. I consider the Sequels as an dystopian Star Wars Elseworld of what could have happen after Return of the Jedi a world where the house of Palpatine are the main protagonists the Sequels for me are part of a Dark timeline while the post Legends Return of the Jedi is the Happy timeline i enjoy the Sequels more with this perspective

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2022
    Master Jedi Fixxxer likes this.