main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Do you consider TESB a rare "good" part V entry?.

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by maranatusIX, Jun 26, 2021.

1. maranatusIX

maranatusIX Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 9, 2021
    It's a part 2 in terms of how it was released, but overall it's Episode V.
    Now, I always see part V's as the doomed entry in a series.
    Friday the 13th: Part V (I actually enjoy this one).
    Halloween 5.
    Police Academy 5.
    Saw V.
    Star Trek V.
    All considered one of the worst in the series.
    It got me thinking.
    Is TESB the only good "Part V" movie?.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
    whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    TESB will always be great no matter what part it is.

The reality is that it's still part 2 though (or part 3 if you go Rogue One first). The series works best if you start with RO or ANH and flashback to the PT

3. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    It's technically the first sequel, which are often the best.
    Godfather 2, Aliens, Superman 2, Spider Man 2, The Dark Knight, Wrath of Kahn.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
  4. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    X-men also

5. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Yeah, this is a silly question. Whatever its chronological placement, it's the second movie released, and should be considered on those terms - especially because one common reason a fifth installment might not be very good is because of creator fatigue or lack of new ideas.

(For what it's worth, I actually think AOTC - the fifth Star Wars movie in release order - is probably the weakest of the saga. Though not because of any fatigue on Lucas's part.)

6. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Actually, the fifth Star Wars feature film in release order is Ewoks: The Battle for Endor ;)
    ...unless you count the Holiday Special as a feature film, in which case the honor goes to Caravan of Courage. As yawn-inducing as that movie is, though, the HS is by far the worst of the bunch.

But I don't count the HS as a movie. So, I'd say the fourth film (meaning CoC) is the weakest one.

I guess TESB is a rare good part five, though, since it is part five of the Skywalker Saga.
    Not that I have done any research whatsoever in this particular field.
    It'll be interesting to see how well the next (fifth) installments of the Indiana Jones and Scream series do, though.

darkspine10 likes this.
  7. CaptainEO

CaptainEO Jedi Grand Master star 1

Mar 13, 2002
    The real part 5 is the Holiday Special. [face_laugh]

Darth__Lobot and christophero30 like this.
  8. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    My hot take would be that AOTC is also a good part V entry, arguably a better one than ESB, but I recognise that view is rather unique around here :p

9. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    Um . . . I don't view either "Superman 2" or "ST - The Wrath of Khan" as the best of their respective franchises. And if I must be frank, I didn't care for the last half hour of "The Dark Knight".

I don't think I would regard AOTC as better than TESB. Mind you, I do like it slightly better. And I don't regard TESB as better than AOTC.

darkspine10 likes this.
  10. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    It's a sequel not as good as the first one. So pretty common.

11. bb8isno1

bb8isno1 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 29, 2020
    I consider ESB as the second entry of the framchise,but yes for the most part 5 films possibly just excluding SW are pretty bad as they do seem to run out of ideas and originality by then. I would include Death Wish 5 in this, As for ESB i consider it one of the best seqeuls ever made even though ANH is my favourite.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
    christophero30 likes this.
  12. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Well, I don't consider it a Part V movie as others have stated but the answer is no it's not the only one.

Fast Five.

Open and shut case with this question now. ;)

13. AEHoward33

Aug 11, 2019
    I think that's a good choice.

14. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    How dare you, sir or madam!

"Giant... COOKIE... LADY!" is Shakespearean.

maranatusIX likes this.
  15. maranatusIX

maranatusIX Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 9, 2021
    You should ask Sheriff Meeker what he thinks of 5....

Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
  16. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I don't know of a lot of part V's that I've seen, other than Star Trek V and Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. And ESB is def better than than those!

It could be said that The Two Towers could be a "part V," when looking at all the Middle Earth films. I will say that and Harry Potter's fifth installment (Order of the Phoenix) comes close for me.

Pretty soon we will have an Indiana Jones 5, and we will have to revisit this thread! ;)

17. jaimestarr

jaimestarr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2004
    Ha! The logic in the premise of this thread is serious lacking. Empire Strikes Back is Episode 5, not "part 5." Most the time, the reason part 5 of a film franchise is "less than" is because the creative well has been tapped, and most of the story/mythology/innovations/ creative ideas have been mined, regurgitated, retconned, into banality.

Facts: Empire Strikes Back is the SECOND Star Wars film. Ergo, it was easily able to expand, enrich, and further the Star Wars series in a way that no other actual 5th film in a movie series every could.

18. Dr_Cthulhu

Dr_Cthulhu Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2015
    Some sequels that were better received than the first film in their series:
    Captain America: Winter Soldier
    Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
    Furious 7
    Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol
    Goldfinger

19. AEHoward33

Aug 11, 2019
    "Goldfinger"?:(

20. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I have a couple more:

- The Two Towers (If you count The Hobbit trilogy, which Peter Jackson says you should, this is the 5th in that franchise)
    - Captain America: The First Avenger is the 5th MCU film if going in release order; The Incredible Hulk is the 5th if going in chronological order (either way, I enjoyed both movies)
    - Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (I know this will be controversial but I dug it)

So no, I don't think ESB is the only good "Part 5." I do think it is the best though!

darkspine10 and Iron_lord like this.
  21. AEHoward33

Aug 11, 2019
    I dug it too. In fact, it's my third favorite in the series.

22. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    TESB and R1, as I've said before, are my favorite Star Wars films. They are excellent.

I'm actually watching the entire Classic Trilogy today whilst using my girlfriend's Disney+ subscription. I haven't watched them since 2018. I watch R1 every year. I've made it past Han and Leia's escape from Darth Vader on Hoth. I'm into the Imperial March! Great stuff. Can't wait for Yoda and the rest of Vader's scenes.

whostheBossk and christophero30 like this.
  23. CosmoHender

CosmoHender Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2016
    As a Fallen Kingdom fan, those are fighting words...

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  24. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    [face_laugh]

Well I'm still super stoked for Dominion if that helps!

25. CosmoHender

CosmoHender Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2016
    It does. Personally, I loved Fallen Kingdom. I loved how it moved the franchise forward, took it to where it was always intended to eventually go... the mainland. I loved how it took inspiration from the Crichton novels, particularly the themes. I loved its horror elements and J.A. Bayona's directing. Fallen Kingdom does what a sequel should in my opinion, just like how The Empire Strikes Back does what a sequel should. They both advance the story, the characters, and the direction of the series. Just like how nothing is the same after The Empire Strikes Back, nothing is the same after Fallen Kingdom.