main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Do you expect The Mandalorian to influence your appreciation of The Rise of Skywalker?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Glitterstimm, Sep 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    I do believe there would have been some type of communication with people 'left behind' but Snoke/Palpatine would have been more interested in the Politicians that preferred living under the Empire. Seems to me that the Regional Governers or Warlords are probably on borrowed time in the Mandalorian Era and possibly long gone by the time the First Order advances into the Outer Rim.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
  2. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I think by The Mandalorian they are at the breaking point and it soon end in chaos, that the first order could use so the new repulbic don't look towars the outer rim. By this time the first order is building and growing but still a weak force. Rae Sloane is till around i bet and Snoke probaly with them but not their leader yet. I think by 10 years after endor all imperial warlords have been caught or killed. The Mandalorian probaly ends this one faction that Moff Gideon controls.

3. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    It’s a pretty interesting question.

Though in general I like what we’ve seen from the ST so far, I’m very much looking forward to the Mandalorian, more so than the final st film.

I fully expect the Mandalorian to have more of a OT vibe and connection, imperial warlords and moffs on the run, taking advantage of the outer rim worlds where the New Republic hasn’t established a presence. One of the new characters is apparently a former rebel shock trooper for example. I expect similar connections like that.

That said even though the show takes place long before the ST, I do think it’s possible to include some storytelling that may eventually have some connection to what we’re seeing in the ST. Maybe one of these ex-imperials gets involved with the beginnings of the FO, or maybe we see the beginnings of children being kid napped for the start of the FO stormtroopers?

All in all if anything it’s probably really small things that most people may not realize/notice. But I really like small details and things that add to the world building and lore, and unfortunately the ST has been terrible in that regard, so I’ll definitely be looking for stuff like the above. I’m also hoping for some appearances from characters like Admiral Sloane, Sinjir, Snap Wexley, Hera, some really cool characters that have been introduced elsewhere that I think would be fun to see in live TV.

Will any of that matter to the general audiences, probably not.

4. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Look! We’ve found the one fan in the world who didn’t like that trailer. ;)

5. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    No, because I'm not planning on subscribing to Disney+, but I'll pick up the various LAS when/if they come to DVD, plus The Mandalorian's impact/influence on TROS will be minimal.

6. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    NO SPOILERS

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2019
  7. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Just saw the first episode (for free) and ... I think it puts the ST to shame, to be honest. I actually appreciate the ST even less now. I didn't think that was possible.

Without getting into spoilers....the story and set up is more interesting to me (even with just this one initial episode)...the world building, alien, ship, set, and costume designs are far more interesting. And it's not just because it's very OT looking, which it is. It feels like a small story in a huge galaxy. Whereas the ST feels like a big story in a solar system. The GFFA feels alive. There's a lot of different styles and cultures going on. Much more so than what's presented in the ST.

In fact, I feel like I would have liked the ST more, if the ST was more aligned with this show's basic setup. That is: Empire severely down and out. Everyone trying to figure out what that means. Mandalorians or some other group wanting to take advantage of the power vacuum, return to glory. Lots of lawlessness. Lots of weirdness. And a growing New Republic presence taking charge, but missing from the outer rim.

In general, it feels more like a continuation of the OT story, and the results of the civil war, than the ST ever even does or tries to. Yeah, I've been sitting here all morning thinking...wow...I wish the ST was like this.

8. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    Nope, Mandalorian is not available in Germany until the end of March 2020, so no excitement or impact here. :rolleyes:

Jedi Ben likes this.
  9. Glitterstimm

Dec 30, 2017
    Eh, so I just noticed the no spoilers policy post, sorry about my posting above. Won't be doing it again.

10. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    No, it's not available so it's irrelevant. Even if it was? No.

11. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    @Glitterstimm - I've seen the first episode. I'll just say this - I think the show (and future Disney+ shows) will only change perception of TROS for those who have an all or nothing approach to Star Wars (good or bad).

12. Knessa84

Knessa84 Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 21, 2014
    If the Mandalorian has a cohesive story, fully-fleshed out characters and plot points that make sense (you can tell planning actually went into it), I'll probably resent the ST a bit. Or a lot. I think the "pass the potato" trilogy as far as writing, story and character development has suffered due to the alleged lack of planning which they oddly seem rather proud about. The Mandalorian may make me a bit nostalgic for what could have been if it's a great series.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  13. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Not at all. If anything the Mandalorian if good as people say (I will start watching tonight) will make me more upset at what the ST could been including the TROS then what we got.

14. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Which makes me question the timing of this all tbh. Why not just focus on TROS and let the chips fall where they might, and then release Mando for everyone in March 2020 as a new era. Instead of releasing Mando just before TROS comes out, which takes the spotlight away from TROS.

And if Mando is superior, and unites the fandom (lol), then all it does potentially make fans more upset at what ST should have been, or what TROS should have been, while having no effect on the fans who already love the ST. But if Mando is bad, disliked and causes more division, then it trips up TROS even more so.

I really liked the episodes. It makes me wish the ST was like it. I'm kind of pissed that the ST isn't.

2Cleva likes this.
  15. Glitterstimm

Dec 30, 2017
    By all or nothing, do you mean folks who already love the ST will only love it more whether they like Mandalorian or not, and haters will only hate it more?

I can see that being the case.

I'm definitely feeling some of this right now as well. I felt like the first episode had better world building, and was just more atmospheric than almost all of the ST. The only thing better was Rey's introduction in TFA imo.

But on an optimistic note, I think that if they really dive deep into the aftermath of ROTJ then that could make me appreciate the ST more overall. Probably not to a major extent, but if I could at least finally feel that they are actually occurring in the same timeline as the PT/OT then that would be a huge improvement.

2Cleva likes this.
  16. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    @Knessa84 & @Luke02 - Ya'll about to be real mad then.

I think Iger is trying to turn the page from the ST. Part of the reason for the hiatus. I see the strategy in making good Star Wars be the focus - regardless of cinematic or TV.

17. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Oh no I totally think that's the case. Just interesting that they want to turn the page, 1 month before the last page of the previous chapter done being read. lol.

2Cleva likes this.
  18. alwayslurking

alwayslurking Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 21, 2019
    I think it's all about Disney+. That is more important to the Disney bottom line than LF, and certainly more important than TROS box office. It's not ideal timing, but they don't have any other buzz-worthy shows to promote with the launch.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    2Cleva likes this.
  19. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Pretty much. The ST is what it is with fans. I think the final installment may move it a grade or so up or down for most fans but nothing can be done that will make it be embraced or rejected within TROS. With Mandalorian - people will use it to support the idea that Disney SW is good because of it or will use it as an example of why the ST is so bad.

LOL. Iger has shown with SW that when he knows he messed up (Solo for example) just moving along is the goal.

Glitterstimm likes this.
  20. Glitterstimm

Dec 30, 2017
    Yeah, they probably realized that the show is pretty good, like A LOT better than Solo even though it's going for a similar vibe, and thought they would push it out before TROS to generate some buzz for the franchise. Hard to say how big a splash it will make though, because I also feel that, at least going by the first episode, it's a bit more fan-servicy and inaccessible than the ST. It's definitely more of a Rogue One style anthology than a ST style remake. I think hardcore fans will mostly love it, but general audiences might think it's too weird to fall in love. I don't foresee Game of Thrones style enthusiasm, for example, where non-typical audiences get excited for a genre they're usually not into.

21. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Before this might have been an issue, but if you've signed up for Disney+, this is something you have access to for free. What tends to happen with the streaming platforms is people try series they wouldn't normally - if they were paying to access each one. This changes the dynamic quite a bit.

Alien Vanguard and Glitterstimm like this.
  22. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    I was comparing Solo to the ST, not Mando. They probably realize Mando has what SW fans definitely want - world building, planning, nostalgia, fresh story as opposed to what they have given in the ST.

Too early to say yeah or nay on GOT enthusiasm. GOT became GOT because of shock value, depth in story and the sex scenes (which had varying degrees of taste) early on. 1 episode in - although sex scenes aren't coming and TBD how deep it goes - they did at least provide the initial shock value.

Glitterstimm likes this.
  23. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
    The last episode is to be aired after TROS, is that right?

24. Glitterstimm

Dec 30, 2017
    Good point, and in any case, there probably wouldn't be enough time between now and TROS' release for it to break into the mainstream in a major way.

It definitely feels like a project made by and for hardcore fans, the amount of detail is just at that level imo. It won't have the sexiness of GOT, and probably not the performances either, but it does feel fresh, and the pacing is just right so that I don't think it would be overwhelming for newcomers. The action was really good too, if they can out-do themselves week in week out, then maybe that could get people into it as well.

2Cleva likes this.
  25. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Since the topic of The Mandalorian is pretty much off limits in New Films for the time being we're going to lock this thread up. Too easy for someone to drop in and spoil the whole damn thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.