main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Census Do you fake it...

Discussion in 'Community' started by Pensivia, Jul 14, 2022.

?

When a friend shows me a "hilarious" tweet/vid etc. that I think is stupid or boring, I ...

1. Fake at least a small smile/laugh to avoid making my friend feel awkward

34.8%
  2. Ask some minor question about the content to try and deflect or avoid the awkwardness

8.7%
  3. Give some type of bland response (ex: nodding) and immediately change the subject

26.1%
  4. Refuse to fake-smile or laugh and instead say what I really think ("that's just really stupid")

17.4%
  5. Laugh heartily--but at my friend's awful sense of humor

4.3%
  6. End the friendship

8.7%
  1. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    So, do you "fake it"...when a friend shows you a "hilarious" tweet/vid/etc. that you don't find even remotely amusing?

I'm talking about when it happens in person (like when a friend shows you something on their phone), though I would also be interested in hearing responses relating to when a friend texts or otherwise individually messages you a vid/tweet, etc.

Also to clarify: I'm not talking about something you would find offensive in some way (like a racist joke, etc.). I just mean something that is clearly meant to be amusing that you don't find funny.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2022
  2. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I'm not a fake person so I tell the person that I didn't enjoy it. Maybe I'll make a joke or give a bland response, but normally I'm honest.

3. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Depends on the person. If it's a close friend who I'm comfortable with, I'd be honest and say, "That was dumb." If it was somebodyI had a superficial friendship with, I'd be polite and muster a giggle.

Sarge likes this.
  4. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    They’re dead to me.

My great grandmother pulled this six years ago. The meme was not funny. It also took three minutes for her to find the meme on her phone.

Obviously thats the last contact we had. Just writing this reopens the wound afresh. It makes me wish I could return the kidney she gave me.

mnjedi, CT-867-5309, Sarge and 6 others like this.
  5. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    lol, I put the last two poll options in just for the JCC.

I think I'm growing:p

6. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    You say that, yet nowhere on the poll can I find the “Tearfully pull out my gun and put them out of their misery” option.

7. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    c'mon, baby steps...

8. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I never participate in their enthusiasm. I can at most make a little smile and half a nodding, that's the best I can give.

But also, if they show me a tweet in person it means they were staying at their phone while being in my company, which is already like starting with the wrong foot.

9. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I think it depends on who the friend is. I have some really intelligent friends, so if they post a joke on their FB page and I simply don't get the joke, I might be too embarrassed to ask them to explain it to me so I just go along with it and move on.

10. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    well I agree that would definitely be rude, though the example of I was thinking of was where my friend and I were talking, and something that was said reminded her of the video, so then she went to get her phone to show me...

This situation actually happens on a fairly regular basis with a particular friend though more often, she's messaging me these types of things, which is easier to respond to as one can just respond with a "lol" or an emoji...

11. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Take off and nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Lordban, Pensivia, Ramza and 2 others like this.
  12. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    If it's dumb It'd recommend the emoji with the single droplet and the hopeless face, whereas if it's dumb yet still funny the single droplet over the laughing face, and the double droplet and the exhilarating face only if it's a legit solid hilarious tweet.

Pensivia likes this.
  13. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    That's totally wrong. You're supposed to go get your katana. Are you new around here or what?

Darth Guy, mnjedi and Ramza like this.
  14. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000

I sincerely thought "where's he gonna get a gun in Prague".

Pensivia and Sarge like this.
  15. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    The Vltava, obviously.

Sarge and solojones like this.
  16. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    “Listen buddy, I have a really great meme to show you too. It’s back here behind the shed.” *fighting back tears* “yeah it’s really funny. Really funny.”

17. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I try to fake some enthusiasm. Apparently I'm the polite JCCer.

Rethink all the likes I've given you people.

Sarge, harpua, Pensivia and 3 others like this.
  18. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I'm usually the one on the opposite end of this dilemma, cackling at something my friends think is not funny at all. To share from that perspective, I don't really mind if others don't find it amusing, as long as they'll tolerate my pleasure.

Pensivia likes this.
  19. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    same as Wocky

20. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    well, by that standard, I'm a "fake person." I totally get where you're coming from, though, and I admire your ability to be honest in these types of situations. But I'm always worried about hurting the other person's feelings or making them feel embarrassed, so I usually try to muster at least a small chuckle or smile, but then my worry shifts to concern that the person will see through me and realize I'm just faking it. And I take sort of the opposite of @harpua 's approach in that I am almost more inclined to fake it (or to fake it more strongly) when it's a closer friend, because I'm even more worried about making them feel uncomfortable as compared to superficial acquaintances.

(yeah, I know, I worry too much...kinda my m.o. in a lot of ways, unfortunately!)

But then I purge my worries by telling hubby the anecdote and showing him the content so that I can revel in our shared disdain of it [face_laugh]

Sarge likes this.
  21. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    there's a difference between being fake and validating someone's feelings (not that you have to). sometimes it's good to see how the other person might find it funny.

... I also hate a phone being shoved in my face, ever, tho, so...

Sarge and Pensivia like this.
  22. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    Yeah, I show people fishing pics all the time knowing full well nobody cares. I appreciate that they pretend to though.

Pensivia and CT-867-5309 like this.
  23. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I'll do this every now & then with a good friend who sends an endless of Instagram reels of random food, and animal things; for everyone that's okay, the rest are forgettable. Needs to end at some point! :p

Pensivia likes this.
  24. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    I’m a refuser more often that not. I will fake it for my kids.

I’m a lot more diplomatic in these situations as I get older. I’ve got form for glazing over and walking off while someone is in mid (boring) conversation

EDIT:for missed out word

Pensivia likes this.