main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Do you feel that the JCF should allow 'same gender relationships' to be portrayed in the fan fiction

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by DarthBreezy, Feb 13, 2003.

?

Do you feel that the JCF should allow 'same gender relationships' to be portrayed in the fan fiction

Poll closed Mar 16, 2003.
  1. No

93 vote(s)
    36.8%
  2. Yes any/all characters

3 vote(s)
    1.2%
  3. Yes, OC only

3 vote(s)
    1.2%
  4. Yes, but limited to 'implied sexuality', no relationships.

2 vote(s)
    0.8%
  5. Yes, with restrictions on depiction (ie "Film Han and Leia", romantic diologue, some hand

5 vote(s)
    2.0%
  6. Yes, with the same limitations as listed in the FAQ for depiction of adult hetrosexual relations.

147 vote(s)
    58.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
  2. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002
    I voted yes, but I have a qualifier--I would like a little warning put into the header to warn me.

Also, as I posted in the thread over in the Comm board, this is a private board, and it should be totally up to the owner to decide what is and is not allowed on this board. I expressed my opinion, but believe it should be irrelevant. If I owned this board I would decide as I wished. Anyone who didn't like my decision could be free to post their stories elsewhere on the internet.

3. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    Yes, a disclaimer would be proper.. same as for "obidalas"... Seriously, I find them far more offensive than same sex parings...

EDIT 2

The Equality for Homosexual Expression Petition As put forward by Aanix_Durray and Lyta_Skywalker

If you voted for anything OTHER than NO please click on the link above... *Note* clicking is NOT the same as signing so at least give it a look...

EDIT

Please remember to keep your comments level headed... Irregaurdless of what you may percieve to be right or wrong, this is ultimately a PRIVET site and any thing that the results suggest is ULTIMATELY up to the owners, but they are far more likely to listen to well thought out reason than the screaming "I'm right you're wrongs"....

:p

Edit 3

Thank you for taking the time to vote, no matter what your choice.

Edit 4

Corrected petition link.

4. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    I think a writer's creative license should give him/her the freedom to write anything they want, within certain legal limits (no plagiarism, slander, etc.) I'm certainly OK with a warning being posted on top of the story, giving a rating and the content of the story, for the more easily offended. But hey--they don't have to read it if they don't like it.

same as for "obidalas"... Seriously, I find them far more offensive than same sex parings...

Good God, yes--I'd rather see Obi-Wan in a romantic relationship with Dex than with Padme.

5. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    Yes. It should be subject to the same rules as heterosexual fanfic. Anything less is discrimination.

Homosexual relationships should be allowed.
    Heterosexual relationships should be allowed.
    Homosexual sexual relationships should not be allowed.
    Heterosexual sexual relationships should not be allowed.

6. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I chose the last option.

7. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
  8. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I voted the last option. As long as it's portrayed as any other romance story, I don't see why It shouldn't be allowed.

9. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    I, too, voted for the last option. Not alowing "same-gender relationships" is discrimination, and last I checked, that was against the rules. If we're going to not allow certain types of fanfics, why not just "screen" people at the door when they register for the forum and not allow any people who practice homosexuality in real-life into the forum at all? (as radical as that sounds. That's basically what restricting the fanfics is doing).

10. Saint_of_Killers

Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 18, 2001
    "Yes, with the same limitations as listed in the FAQ for depiction of adult hetrosexual relations."

^^^

11. Kathryn

Kathryn Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2002
    I definitely do think yes. I don't have a problem with mods\owners of a site restricting explicit material as per their own judgment, but it seems biased to me, and it's bugged me actually, to see portrayal of hetreosexual relationships allowed where depictions of same-sex couples are not.

My two cents.

12. Casper_Knightshade

Casper_Knightshade Force Ghost star 6

Oct 18, 2000
    I voted for the last; discrimination must be eleminated on ALL FRONTS!

And for certain folks out there: YOU OPENED THE DOOR TO THIS DEMOCRATIC SELECTING PROCESS, BY ALLOWING FOLKS TO VOTE!

13. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    I chose the final option, although I'm not female so I'm not allowed to write slash.

;)

Or SSR(Same sex relationship), that would probably be easier if your fic included a non main character homosexual.

Wow, no edit time, so I could just like put anything here....

The monkey watches. o_O

14. Liz Skywalker

Liz Skywalker Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 13, 2000
    [whisper]farrie, guys are allowed to write slash, too. I've seen 'em do it. And their stuff is usually better, for obvious reasons.[/whisper]

I voted "yes", though I would think that the first and last "yes" answer at the same thing.

15. Casper_Knightshade

Oct 18, 2000
    LOL! farraday rulez!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Shezan

Shezan Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2001
    Oh, my sainted aunt.

I just read the thirteen vivid pages of the thread at Administration which prompted this poll, and my first (strong) reaction is "Here be dragons. Big 'uns." :D

I voted for the last choice in the poll, because as a writer who has mostly written het fic (and one single Star Trek slash story on a dare, for a competition), some of it definitely NC-17, I am enjoying tremendously the restrictions here on the JC. Guys, implying sex, or simply the promise of sex, is much more fun than writing it explicitly. You can draw out the sexual tension absolutely from the start of your story until the very end, and stay G-rated. (Well, PG. [face_laugh] ) I think it's no contest--I get ten times more mileage out of it than from the insert plug A in socket B descriptions.

So the question is, really--can we have characters whose implied sex life/inclination is not straight? And another question that sprang to mind--would it make a difference if the storyline stayed canon, i.e. was consistent with the films, rather than the fairly outrageous EUs real slash presupposes?

Give you an example. Some time back, I was sent the URL for a Qui-Gon/Obi Wan story called "Crystallize", by Torch, in which they are sent to garrison a cold planet, and Qui-Gon realizes he feels love for Obi-Wan, but naturally doesn't act on it. Nothing much happens, and almost nothing is explicitly stated. It's very obvious by the end of the tale (which is beautifully written, with a sense of weather that absolutely defines it for me; this would easily be pro-fic anywhere) that the love will remain, possibly as a defining feeling but will not be acted upon, and possibly not even acknowledged by Obi-Wan. There is nothing in this story that's not consistent in what we see in TPM. Would this be acceptable here? (Please PM me for the URL if you would like to judge by yourself.)

Other example. What about OCs? What about a canon/EU character whose love life is not alluded upon in canon? I once read, before NC-17 stories were booted out of FF.n, a Thrawn/OC slash story that worked. I like Thrawn as a character, but the idea of slashing him squicked me quite a bit. I had a peek (the eternal completist... :D ) and lo and behold, it was very believable. Think Julius Caesar and some of his legionnaires. Now that specific Thrawn story was too explicit for here; but say a story alludes to Crix Madine's "beautiful young man", in passing. Would that be enough to prompt an edit? Would the very acknowledgement of the existence of a gay relationship be too much? I personally find I could live with that, but as has been argued elsewhere, the boards don't belong to me and I'm having fun as a guest.

17. Kyp_side_of_TheForce

Kyp_side_of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    what the sith reason is there for same-sex relationships not to be allowed? Yes, with the same limitations as listed in the FAQ for depiction of adult hetrosexual relations. all the way!

18. Bithysith

Bithysith Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 6, 2000
    I voted for the last option. I hate double standards.

19. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    I'm not sure I understand why the 11 people who voted "No" didn't stick around to justify their answer, as everyone else did.

20. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002
  21. The_Standmaiden

The_Standmaiden Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 28, 2002
    Yes, with the same limitations as listed in the FAQ for depiction of adult hetrosexual relations.

And a warning in the title would be nice . . . But I don't see why it shouldn't be allowed as long as it's not overly explicit. I don't want to read anything too graphic, be it heterosexual or same sex.

22. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    One of the most BEAUTIFUL fics I ever read was about Obi-wan and Bail Organa... there was never any discussion of the lovemaking act but tenderness permeated the story extended beyond Obi and Bail to Obi's relating to Anakin... (not in a sexual sense)... I was so impressed with the lovelyness of the tale that I asked for and got permission to referance one of the events in one of my own works...

Sex/love does NOT (always) equal trashy...

23. Casper_Knightshade

Oct 18, 2000
    Well, I think folks don't want to be identified as homophobics, which on one hand that might not be the case; they may feel that there is just no place for homosexuality in SW although they do accept (Not embrace or live it, I said accept) homosexuality and thus don't want to be tagged unfairly as such and have to argue the point over and over and over on this thread. That's actually good because what this is is a straight.....

Hehehe....straight...... ;)

Straight forward vote which, I must say again, HAD DEBATE BEFORE A VOTE!

This is NOT a witch hunt, and WE won't tolerate any person or Mod who makes it one either on either side of the argument. This is just a simple vote on a subject matter brought before by a member of the Boards, which if the Mods are indeed listening they will understand the poll, allow it to happen, and respect the outcome even with some little disapproval in opinion.

24. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    I voted no.

25. Wilhelmina

Wilhelmina Jedi Master star 3

Jul 4, 2002
    I also voted no.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.