main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Do you like the new canon?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Lord Sith Harloxzz, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Pacified_llama

Pacified_llama Jedi Master star 3

Sep 15, 2017
    @Point_Of_ViewWhy do you insist on making value judgements?

"Plucky scavenger" is a discernable quality - it's just that you fail to frame any of it within Rey's actual presentation in TFA.
    We're dealing with an effective reboot of the franchise - you must approach the sequel trilogy from that basis.

She is much the character that Luke is in ANH - lonely or orphaned, longing for a higher purpose, eager and curious, but restrained by the harsh realities of her environment - this is demonstrated both visually and verbally. She is the stereotype protagonist in the coming-of-age story - just like Luke was. And the fact that it is simple, open, and at times, clichéd, is sort of the point.

Your opinion of Ridley is your own.

Ahsoka is a poor example - she too is simplistic, "Plucky apprentice to Anakin" - in fact, worse than Rey because she is only definable in relation to another established character, her master Anakin Skywalker.

For the record, I do in fact agree that TFA is the weakest - but I don't write it off/dismiss it as a failure.

On other matters... How do people rate the integration of other characters into the New Canon that appeared in the old? Thrawn as an example.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    When it comes to taste in film and TV, all opinions are equal. Art is subjective.

I liked Ahsoka in seasons 1 and 2, hated her in seasons 3-5, have been OK with her in Rebels. No strong opinion on Rey at all; she has not done anything yet for me to love or hate. I'm sure she'll do one or the other in TLJ or Episode IX.

I like Jyn Erso a lot, however, so this is not a new-canon issue.

As far as integration of old characters into the new canon, it depends on how it's done. I like Thrawn better in the new canon because he has been presented so far as a unique and interesting warrior, as opposed to being the Warrior Superior to Everyone that he was in the old canon.

spicer and Pacified_llama like this.
  3. Point_Of_View

Point_Of_View Jedi Knight star 2

May 23, 2017
    That assumes that they didn't intend for TFA to make Rey compelling.

4. Pacified_llama

Sep 15, 2017
    Thrawn's "superiority", I think, was partly a necessity to establish a memorable character with some presence on the page, to give a fun and exciting launch to the wider old EU.

I think you have to inevitably "shrink down" certain characters when you integrate them, because some of these characters have been referenced ad nauseum originally.

5. LuckyGungan20001

LuckyGungan20001 Jedi Knight

May 14, 2016
    Ridley definitely comes out in top of we're comparing TFA and RO.

6. Point_Of_View

May 23, 2017
    I must?????
    I don't have to approach it on their terms. I only have to engage with reality, and the reality is there was no reason that it had to be a quasi not really reboot/wholesale facsimile.

7. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Anyone want me to talk about why I love the new canon and think TFA is the best thing to happen to Star Wars since The Thrawn Trilogy?

I also should clarify I'm ambivalent at best about Rogue One by comparison.

starfish likes this.
  8. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007

Strongly disagree on Rey vs. Jyn. I know more about Jyn as a person than I do Rey after roughly equal length movies.

Rey is - force sensitive human female who lived on a desert planet and....um... there's really no motivation or character beyond "she's here". Heck, Finn and Poe! I could say more about.

Jyn may not be the universe's most interesting character, but we know who she is, why she's important, how she fits into the scheme of the universe, and what her motivation is. We may disagree about the quality of the preceding, but it is there.

9. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    Rey was compelling.

10. Point_Of_View

May 23, 2017
    Hm, Nah.

11. kalzeth

kalzeth Jedi Master star 3

Aug 26, 2017
    I think TFA was pretty bad but actually liked Rey. I could feel her longing for a family and her scrappy way of surviving. What didn't like was her OPness even if we can ascribe it to an awakening.

By contrast I found Jyn underdeveloped and shallow even though we had a good backstory and felicity is a great actress.

What made TFA rough to me was the characterization of Han. In the OT he was ambiguous. We didn't know if he was really as good as his swagger, but in TFA he was so down on his luck. It hurt to see my favorite character like that with Bela Tik. I also didn't like the humor in a few places, it just felt a little misplaced but I recognize that's personal.

Highlights for me in the new canon are Phasma's book, some of the world/mystique building in aftermath (I want to know more about Rax and the acolytes), and thrawn. I also like the new inquisitors and want to know more about them.

I didn't like how thrawn seemed less effective though. That's a general problem with opponents in rebels though.

It will be hard for the new stuff to replace the past for me, but will do my best to enjoy what it gives us. I do wish they had been selective in the old material but understand why they didn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AusStig likes this.
  12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I was not crazy about the direction that Han's character took in TFA but I recognized it as Han, and put more blame on the fact that the writers chose to make his and Leia's only child an entitled, whiny mass murderer than on Han himself.

Jedi Ben and kalzeth like this.
  13. Darth_Henning

Jun 1, 2007

Depends on the character. Quinlan Vos from TCW was changed so much as to be unrecognizable as the same character, and that was quite honestly terribly handled. But that's pre-reboot so debate at will.

Thrawn has been more or less well handled. I like the addition of him training against Dark Troopers to show that he keeps in physical shape in addition to keep his mind sharp. However, when he randomly grabs that imperial officer and flat-out hisses on Ryloth was badly out of character and Jarring, and should not have been done. Also I'm mildly annoyed that Filoni didn't want to include Ysalimiri (spelling?) as he "didn't like force-negating lizards". That's alost as defining a piece of the character as his art, and I think a misstep. However generally well done.

Rukh looks quite good. Pending judgment.

Dodonna's addition towards the end of Season 3 was great. Good to finally get a good idea of what he's like. Also, Thrawn's comment that he'd be the last to run actually ties into RO and ANH quite well. In RO Mon Mothma and the council are all on Yavin. A couple days later during the Death Star Attack, only Dodonna and Leia are left. Personal head cannon says he volunteered to stay behind to lead the counter attack as the higher ups evacuated.

Who else has been brought back? Most of the characters I've seen are movie originals (Wedge in Aftermath which was...kinda along his role in Wraith Squadron), or new (Aphra, etc).

14. Pacified_llama

Sep 15, 2017
    I'm in complete agreement. And I guess you can either like Rey or not. But she's effectively a modern iteration of Luke.

Charlemagne
    Regarding positives of TFA - It certainly restored faith in the swashbucking "fun" aspect of Star Wars that had gotten seriously distorted. In that way, I think you're absolutely right.

It's interesting, to compare TFA and Rogue One. I like to think of Rey and Jyn as sisters - the first is the older, more confident sibling. The second is the brooding adolescent who lives and perceives the misery around them. Hmm...I believe such a thing has been said of Star Wars before, elsewhere. Star Wars does this polar opposites thing, keeps you on your toes. o_O

15. Point_Of_View

May 23, 2017
    Luke is modern though.

16. kalzeth

kalzeth Jedi Master star 3

Aug 26, 2017
    Well said.

Others include leia and lando in rebels who were fine imo but would have been better left out. Just seems a little confusing to me that they met Phoenix squadron and Jedis.

Plus wedge in rebels which was okay.

Also asajj in the Darth maul comic. Again fine but why. Seemed unnecessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    After pages of "opinions" about TFA consisting mostly of random trolling or substance-free snark, yes, please. Bring it on. Make it long.

18. Pacified_llama

Sep 15, 2017
    Indeed. Please. Substance free - I'm always guilty as charged. ;)

19. Darth_Henning

Jun 1, 2007
    I wasn't counting movie characters but fair.

Leia makes sense to include but she shouldn't have found out that Kanan and Ezra were jedi. Otherwise its dd that this was never mentioned to Luke. Unless Rebels Season 4 shows the death of both. And as a kids show I can't see it happening sadly, even though IMHO thy definitely need to before ANH. (maybe even at Scariff?)

Wedge in Rebels was perfectly fine as it included most elements of his backstory, but I wish they'd kept the Rand Ecliptic backstory to tie him in with Biggs (better explaining why he and luke became friends). But on the whole acceptable. Though I don't like that thy are reducing his role post-ROTJ and even to a certain degree in the rebellion era. X-wing series for life!!!!

Haven't read said comic. But a lot of her appearances have been "because we can". Same with Ahsoka in Rebels. I know that they're both Filoni pets, but please just kill them both. They've run their course.

kalzeth likes this.
  20. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    I think a lot of this TFA mess can be attributed to a basic divide. People here can be divided into two consciousnesses.
    Consciousness 1 - "The OT was great and later works should follow in it's footstep"
    Consciousness 2 - "We can do better"
    TFA would be favored by the first group, while Rogue One would find fans in the latter.

21. Point_Of_View

May 23, 2017
    I love the OT and find TFA disgusting.

22. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    We know.

23. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    Point_Of_View
    But do you think Star Wars stories should follow the "tone of the OT"? It's not about hating the OT. You can love the OT but want new stories to be different.

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    And I love the OT and prefer Rogue One to TFA.

A lot of people who like the OT did not like TFA based on what TFA did with the OT characters.

There are those who think that TFA was not "artsy" enough and then there are those who prefer the TFA main characters to the OT characters, but taste is not so evenly categorized.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  25. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    Who here is just waiting for Point of View to poop in someone's butt? [face_rofl]

Outsourced likes this.