main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Do you like torture in stories?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by KenobisGirl, Oct 4, 2001.

?

Do you like torture in stories?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. Yes

35.7%
  2. No

19.0%
  3. So-so

45.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KenobisGirl

KenobisGirl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 10, 2001
  2. Ginger_Jedi

Ginger_Jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    I like a torture story if it's been well written as much as I love mush! :)

3. Connemara

Connemara Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 18, 2000
    I said so-so, cause basically, I am not sadistic, but if it helps the story, if it adds to it some way (and sometimes torture scenes do, like in ESB) then I think it's cool, but torture for the sake of torture is just sick.

4. Arabwel

Arabwel Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 20, 2001
    I LOVE a good mental torture scene... it can be so much worse than physical tortuere...

And there are lots of fics that use torture to firther the plot, and do so artistically. Like most of the stories that have Luke turning to the Dark Side.

Ara
    (Isard-wannabe, psychotic one to the boot...)

5. Connemara

Connemara Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 18, 2000
    I agree. But what disturbs me is this forum's seeming fascination with torture itself, as opposed to simple story furtherment (is that a word?). I mean, come on! But then there are people that will write book sall about medeivil torture methods...there's gotta be something wrong with them, I think! :p

6. Cheryl_Kenobi

Cheryl_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 6, 2001
    he he he he he he he he he he h [face_laugh]

7. AngelQueen

AngelQueen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 1, 2001
    Oh, you betcha!!! Especially if it involves Luke-torture!! You should read one of DarthIshtar's stories, such as The Other Half, she definitely knows her torture!! :D :D Plus, her stories are just totally awesome!

AQ

8. KenobisGirl

KenobisGirl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 10, 2001
    Thanks for your views, everyone! :D

9. Mr. P

Mr. P FanFic Archive Editor, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 1, 2000
    It depends on the type of torture. I like angst, if it's well-written, and isn't too heavy. I don't really like physical torture much at all.

--Mr. P

10. IronParrot

IronParrot Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 2, 1999
    Should never be used gratuitously.

11. Alderaan_

Alderaan_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    There is torture in every OT movie and in many of the books.

Torture is great as long as it dosen't involve parasites (personally I had trouble reading Onslaught :p).

12. Lonewolf89

Lonewolf89 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 26, 2001
    It all depends on how things turn out.

13. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    No. Angst is generally okay with me; the main character's inner struggle is a classical component of all literature, and if the hero's getting pounded in a fair fight, I think of it as more action/adventure.

But too many fanfics I've read throw in torture for the sake of torture. There's no motivation for the bad guy to do it, it doesn't make any logical sense for it to occur, and in fact, because the torture scene is the main point of the story, the plot itself is weak and thrown in simply to justify the torture scene and the mush that inevitably follows.

So, usually, if there's "torture" in the intro anywhere, I don't even bother. Frankly, I'd love to throw out a challenge to all the "torture" authors: write one fic WITHOUT a torture scene! If you write as well as folks claim you do, it shouldn't be hard, and well worth reading! And I'd love to be able to read more stuff on the boards.

I've worked with human rights orgs. So I make it a point to tune out if I bump into "torture." Can't tell you how many promising threads I've unsubscribed to... :( I'd love to see a little less mush, too, but I can usually put up with that.

14. Neon Star

Neon Star Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2000
    Well, I voted so-so. I do write torture fics and I must say that not all torture fics are based fully on the torture sences, such like a few of mine which actually have a strong plot to back it. Now for torture just for torture, that is something else when it has no true plot. That is something that I don't prefer, but that is my opinion. As to torture writers writing a story with out torture, that is easy, speaking from my own knowledge at least.

15. Renton Kenobi

Renton Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2000
    You know, I am one to admit that I do enjoy toture in stories. But there are alot out there that draw a line as going too far. But a light one is ok. But those that are all torture (i.e. Obi-Wan torture) stories are just sick. True yes I got some of those but there are some that just go too far.

16. Queengodess

Queengodess Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2000
    Have to say so-so...As some people have pointed out, if it's used well, and fits with the story...sure! I don't mind using torture in my own stories. But torture just for torture, well, maybe not my thing (unless we're talking about Yoda, Palpy, Xizor, Mace, Ki-Adi...okay, so maybe I like torture for the sake of torture!)

17. Darth_Fruitcake

Darth_Fruitcake Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2001
    So-so. Angst is good; the mental struggle of a person and/or people adds to the story and gives it flavor.
    But torturing people for the sake of torturing them is SICK. I have no clue why people do it, and what motivates them. I tend to stay away from those types of stories, unless it's Xizor or Palpy we're torturing.
    Just my opinion.

18. Talon Squad Leader

Talon Squad Leader Former Manager star 5

Dec 22, 1999
    What IronParrot said. I could not have said it better myself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.