main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Do you like Watto?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by AnakinSkywalkerFan_, Apr 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnakinSkywalkerFan_

AnakinSkywalkerFan_ Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 1, 2005
    i like Watto he talks funny and is kinda greedy

2. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    I liked Watto.

3. Azhrei

Azhrei Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 5, 2004
    He's a character :)

4. Matt-trooper

Matt-trooper Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 19, 2005
    I thinks wattos alright. He can be a meanie though.
    I liked him better in AOTC

5. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    ^Yeah. After he sees that Anakin is a Jedi, he's all like: "Whatever it is, i didn't do it!" right after he was "What do you want!?"

6. Sith-Jedi-Master

Sith-Jedi-Master Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2004
    he was good because he think that he was smarter then Qui Gon....in the end he wasn't...but a good character none the less...:)

7. Palps

Palps Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 21, 2003
    Yeah! Watto is hilarious!

8. Deeysew

Deeysew Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    I want to marry watto.

9. gilmanh8s

gilmanh8s Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 11, 2003
    I really like him; he's one of my favorite characters from the the two prequels.

10. Cloned_Sidious

Cloned_Sidious Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 14, 2004
    I like him.

11. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    I think Watto is a very clever and involving side character, probably one of the best in the saga. He's very interesting and unique in both his design and personality. :) The fact that they did a good job creating an arc from TPM to AOTC that served additionally to reflect change in Anakin's character shows alot of how much thought was put into him.

12. JediMaster77

JediMaster77 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2002
    I think Watto is one of the best characters of the PT. He is not a main character and yet was developed so well. People view him as a villian, but he was by no means one. He was a slaveholder and a gambler, he wasn't trying to hurt anyone...just profit from things. He also seemed like a somewhat compassionate slaveholder as he allowed his slaves to go home and live a normal life and even talked to them like they were civilized people. It was nice to see him again in AOTC as we got to see his really good side. Sure, he was afraid because Anakin was a Jedi, but he still recognized him and seemed to be happy to see him as if he actually liked the kid as a friend instead of just a slave. Watto may seem bad but he's really a nice and cool character in my opinion.

13. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Watto was ome of the best things about TPM, IMO. I thought he was great. :)

14. PalpatineAntikristos

PalpatineAntikristos Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2002
    I agree with G-Fett and also add that Watto is one of the best examples of CGI in both TPM and ATOC (EWTA - Enough with the Acronyms!).

15. The_General_Grievous

The_General_Grievous Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2005
  16. CBright7831

CBright7831 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 23, 2004
    Watto is awesome. On of my favorite chaarcters from Episode I.

I really wish that rumor of them putting him in the ROTD DVD was true. I would like to know what happened to him after AOTC. He was the best CGI character of Episode I. The way he moved, looked. All of the colors were just right. His screentime was just right and Lucas didn't beat us over the head with him like he did with another certain CGI chaarcter. Andy Secombe played the voice perfectly. I'm surprised we haven't heard more from him.

Interesting fact about Watto from imdb.com:

Andrew Secombe based his vocal performance of Watto on Alec Guinness' performance as Fagin in Oliver Twist. So essentially, Anakin is passed from one Alec Guinness impersonator at the beginning of the film to another one at the end.

Does he have a fanclub on this board?

17. Mist_Devil

Mist_Devil Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 4, 2005
    eh...watto's ok, but there are better misc. characters, such as those little blue things you see running around everywhere on tatooine. though they didn't talk, they were just cool anyway! :D

18. Obladi_Oblada

Obladi_Oblada Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 18, 2005
    I actually kind of dislike that he's a likeable character. He's a slave owner who actually gambled with a child's life and would have blown him up if he tried to escape. He should have been somebody we love to hate. In my opinion, making him somewhat compassionate made things too easy for Anakin. There could have been a lot more dramatic tension between the two characters.

19. Zenek

Zenek Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 1, 2003
    Watto is 2nd only to Sebulba in the coolness factor

20. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    I actually kind of dislike that he's a likeable character. He's a slave owner who actually gambled with a child's life and would have blown him up if he tried to escape. He should have been somebody we love to hate. In my opinion, making him somewhat compassionate made things too easy for Anakin. There could have been a lot more dramatic tension between the two characters.

Personally, I'd be alot less impressed if Watto was the cruel, unyielding slaver stereotype. He's a product of the Tatooine society, which indulges morally reprehensible practices like slavery. Part of the point of the prequels is that not everyone has to be heinously evil to commit wrongdoing. Modern culture may not agree with it as much as it did before, but slavery has been around for millenia, and it still exists in plenty of places today. Are we supposed to hate every person who has practied it over the few million years?

Watto's behavior toward Shmi and Anakin makes sense. They're both hardworking, and Anakin has more worth to him healthy and able given his mechanical brilliance and piloting skills. And it's not as though anything thinks what's going on is right. Lucas even uses Padme, Qui Gon, Shmi, etc. as mouthpieces to voice his feelings on the ill nature of slavery. Most of us here who like Watto do so because he's an interesting character design, but that doesn't mean we think he's a good guy.

21. Master_Trance

Master_Trance Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 15, 2005
    Watto is awsome

22. darthdaver

darthdaver Jedi Youngling

Apr 20, 2005
    Watto is a useless character that made the movie extremely cartoon-like. Anakin and his mother should have been owned by Jabba the Hutt!

23. Wester547

Wester547 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 5, 2004
    Watto rules.

24. jedi_master1028

jedi_master1028 Jedi Youngling

Apr 20, 2005
    I loved Watto in The Phantom Menace. In my opinion, he is one of the best Star Wars aliens, period.

I love his interactions with Qui-Gon. Like the scene where Qui-Gon informs Watto that he owns a podracer.

Qui-Gon: "...the fastest ever built..."

Watto: (smug) "I hope you didn't KILL anyone I know for it"?

Watto's delivery of that line is funny :)

25. Darth_Digital

Darth_Digital Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2001
    Yeah I think Watto's okay.

I used to wonder how Vader thought of him. Alas I got no answer so I just wrote one...

Watto's fate

:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.