main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Do you love or hate or don't care that the new films are being released in December instead of May?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by DarthVist, Aug 5, 2019.

?

Do you love or hate that the new films are being released in December instead of May?

1. I Love that they are being released in December now instead of May

15 vote(s)
    38.5%
  2. I Hate that they are being released in December now instead of May

6 vote(s)
    15.4%
  3. I don't care that they are being released in December now instead of May

18 vote(s)
    46.2%
  1. DarthVist

DarthVist Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 20, 2019
    Before Disney bought the rights to Star Wars, all the Star Wars movies (before the Disney era) were released in May.

I personally love the fact that the Star Wars movies are being released in December now. There's just something more fun about seeing a Star Wars movie in December instead of May for me.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  2. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    I love it. December just feels like it belongs to Star Wars now a days. The summer just has to many movies for it to breathe, where as December it has all to itself.

3. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I hate the December date. X-mas time is already stressful enough.

Sarge and devilinthedetails like this.
  4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Hmm?

Nope, damn not given.

5. darthvader88

darthvader88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 2005
    I never had a problem with it being in May, since people would have a reason to go see a Star Wars movie...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Sarge likes this.
  6. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    What decadent leisure allows this question to arise from the depths of struggle?

TX-20 and Jedi Ben like this.
  7. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Since I will probably watch it at least three times in the theaters, December might be more practical, but I don't really care that much.

devilinthedetails likes this.
  8. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    I mean love probably overstates my feelings but I like having a new Star Wars movie come out during the holiday season. Tickets make good presents for some of my Star Wars fan family members. :)

9. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Star Wars has a somewhat more traditionally “family film” aura to it thanks to being born of a PG franchise, and I honestly feel like it *should* give the merchandise a bit of a boost.

It probably doesn’t matter much in the long run either way, but it was 3 years in a row of $Billion+ films at Christmas, and that’s a streak that I think should have maybe moved Solo to December as well.

10. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Other than forcing me to leave my house during the freezing winters I like having a Star Wars film during the holiday season. It just feels like it belongs in December and should have always been there. I think Disney was smart to move it there.

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Since I work in a school, the December movies are always released right around my winter break, and I like it. I feel like May is too crowded as far as films go.

12. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I love the December release date. It keeps Star Wars away from the rest of the summer movie season, so I don't have my excitement divided between it and whatever else looks good between May-July, and it's like getting a nice Christmas present from Lucasfilm. The past few years, it also meant I was back home for the holidays so I could see it with my family, which was an added bonus.

13. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    When first announced, I disliked the December release date, but changed my mind when my family turned it into an annual Star Wars Christmas tradition. Me, my sisters and their families would meet up early in the afternoon on Christmas day and see the latest Star Wars film. For 3 years we had a great time. Then, they released Solo in May and everything got screwed up. My sisters are all busy at that time, and couldn't make it out to see it. They expressed their unhappiness at the change of the release date, as Christmas is a prime movie going time for them. We're planning to catch TROS this year.

14. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I care way more about the quality of the film than the release date. Just don't put it a couple weeks after an Avengers movie and you should generally be OK (*cough* Solo *cough*).

TX-20, Emperor Ferus and darthvader88 like this.
  15. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I mostly associate Star Wars with summer. Unlikely that will change even if Disney releases a film I can fully embrace.

whostheBossk likes this.
  16. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    With TFA it seemed weird but now I'm used to it and enjoy it. It's the main movie being released in that holiday time while a May release (due to multiple factors) just got lost in the summer mix.

The Deuteragonist likes this.
  17. The Deuteragonist

The Deuteragonist Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    Yeah, I think Solo is the best example of why Star Wars in December just fits so much better for this current time period. Too much competition. Superhero films have had a hold over the summer box office for years now.

Associating Star Wars with the Holiday season was a genius move marketing move. One that George Lucas came up with first, of course, but genius nonetheless.

18. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I much prefer the December releases. I'm not much of a Christmas person - in fact, I've grown to quite dislike Christmas in the past decade or so - so having a Star Wars movie to look forward to has been has been great. My family can enjoy all the preparations and stuff for the holidays while I hide away in a theater, enjoying lightsabers. :p

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  19. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Bah, humbug! :p

20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I would have really liked to have gone to the theater last December to see Solo. :(

21. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Winter movies suck. Snow and ice on the roads, dealing with coats and hats and gloves in a crowded theater seat, trying to find time in between Christmas shopping and parties and blizzards and families... Nope, go back to May, when life is simpler and everything is easier.

Deliveranze and Darth Smurf like this.
  22. MY Millennium Falcon

MY Millennium Falcon Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2019
    Thankfully we in Malaysia and Singapore don’t have to worry about snow in December, more like heavy rain and thunderstorms as that’s our monsoon season, lol... ⛈

But back to topic, I’m always looking forward to December release of SW movies as that’s the year-end school holiday season for us, along with Christmas and the New Year... And also the best time to take the whole family for a nice experience at the movies, before emerging from of the theater to look for SW stuff in Toys R Us (believe it or not, they’re still doing fine in Asia!)...

Anyway, Solo flopped as a May release, so its likely we won’t see future SW movies being shown at that time anymore...

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
  23. Eike Starseeker

Eike Starseeker Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 1, 2019
    December, Winter, Christmas, its a magical season, perfect for Star Wars.
    But I dont care, since I dont watch them in cinema and have to wait some month until I can buy them on Blu-Ray.
    Hm, maybe May would be better, so the Blu-Ray gets released in December then. [face_tee_hee]

IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
  24. Jediking97

Jediking97 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 24, 2018
    I don't care if they release the movies in December. But I think releasing them around Christmas is a good idea. Plus every Christmas I get Star Wars stuff for Christmas.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  25. Jediking97

Jediking97 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 24, 2018
    Same here. I didn't see any of the movies in the theaters but waited until the home video release. Good thing for me because my birthday is in April and those movies are a perfect birthday gift. I first saw TFA, RO and TLJ on my birthday each year