main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Do you put Tuckerisms/In-jokes in your fics?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by ZebulaNebula, Feb 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZebulaNebula

ZebulaNebula Jedi Master star 5

Feb 10, 2005
    Or am I the only one?

Some of mine include:

Route #'s for local highways inserted when nondescript numerics are called for

An OC from the ST side of my crossover with a last name that was regionally common where I grew up.

A CRPA reference.

A reference to the AOTC soundtrack

and

A Les Miserables reference.

2. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Oh, I do that all over the place. For example, Noela Ovorp, my OC, is based on Noelie from my Fanforce and Ovorp is Provo, backwards. My prisoner numbers always have something to do with the fate of the story. In the first version of Lest Ye Be Judged, I had a friend whose IM name was Maroldh1, so she became the basis for a witness named Marol Dhone.

3. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    *Raises hand* Oh, yeah. Whenever I do music, I invariabley yuse the Gray Siders, a pseudo-Metalicca band. Most of the song titles used are warped metallica songs.

4. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Maybe I'm the only one, but no, unless having one of my characters call his niece what my uncles call me counts.

5. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    I've put in a "blink and you'll miss it" reference to Pearl Jam (my favorite band) in one of my fics.

I tend to interconnect my stories in some way as well, if it's at all possible.

An RPG (be it d20 or WEG) reference, and some canon characters that really don't get that much attention are also included.

6. Zonoma

Zonoma Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2005
    *raises hand*

All the time!

It makes me giggle.[face_plain]

7. talkingbanana

talkingbanana Jedi Master star 3

Jun 4, 2003
    I have a couple of minor characters in Nameless by Ice based almost entirely off of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern from Hamlet/Tom Stoppard's Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead.

I love using allusions in my work. It doesn't happen everywhere, mostly because it doesn't need to, but they're a great way to get the reader thinking about what you want them to be thinking about, if that makes sense. It's also a good way to tie off loose ends without actually having to go and tie them off - with ol' Crantz and Styrn, you know they're going to die just because of who they are, so I don't have to slow down the narrative to say so.

As for actual inside jokes, I gave Nameless the nickname Bob because InyriForge started calling him when writing a review because she was too lazy to type out anything longer. ;) They're fun to include because they get the reader actively involved, but I don't use a lot because they tend to stick out so much to the readers involved that the point of the writing gets lost.

8. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I know ophelia tends to name vile alcoholic concoctions after her readers. Though I was the GFFA equivalent of a shirley temple once.

9. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    I have a bizarre combination of Relient K and Gilbert & Sullivan references that come out frequently. I also poke fun at my college a lot, though nobody really catches that. My favourite city name is Boulder Wilde, named after Wilder Bowl- the grassy knoll where everyone on campus likes to gather for joy and merriment when it's nice out. I made it the home to a lovely little zombie story. :D

Also, I have a tendency to insert strange computer science related jokes that nobody understands. In a fic yet to be posted, I definitely have an android named D-FA. But hey, if KOTOR 2 can have a droid named G0-T0, I can have one named D-FA. :p

10. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    I put them into The Scarlet Illyini quite a bit. ;) I've done Les Miserables...with a cell number 24601. ;)

11. SakuraTsukikage

SakuraTsukikage Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2005
    I do it all the time. I know I have at least two or three fics with at least one Beatles reference, and occasionally I reference anime or D&D. Sometimes I do it without even meaning to :p but it always makes me giggle to myself.

12. Vongchild

Vongchild Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2004
    The Grutchins, the inner-city high school in Daddy's Little Girl which is named after my own inner-city high school, and a reference to Jacen's "Crystal Snake" in His and Her Circumstances.

13. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Every time I do a crossover I need to do slightly sublte crossovers with other franchises.

1. In The First (and Possibly Last) Date of Jacen Solo and Tenel Ka, Jacen orders a bottle of 'Chateu Picard, vintage 2245' for his date with Tenel Ka.

2. Three New Sailor Senshi has Hotaru going to school with the cast of the anime Azumanga Daioh. The US president used to work with me at Walmart, and the chairman of the Joint CHiefs was a classmate of mine.

3. Where No Jedi Has Gone Before had reference to Bablyon Five (Q masquerading as a Vorlon), Sailor Moon (Sailor Pluto makes an appearance, there's the USS Mizuno and USS Kino, two Sailor Moon characters), Magic Knight Rayearth (USS Cephiro and Ah! My Goddess (USS Belldandy).

14. correllian_ale

correllian_ale Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    I actually did this once in my WIP, Shades of Gray; with two characters' names. Two Wookiees I had yet to name, and I took a bit from very early Dave Chappelle in Robin Hoo: Men in Tights

The cnames were Oohca who was the son of Ezeensa
    (A-choo) (A sneeze)

I was sure someone would catch it...but if they did they were too embarassed for me to admit it.;)

15. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    LOL, that's a great one. I had a brainwashed Jedi murderer once named after my friend Jenn's cocker spaniel Raylen, which led about 10 people to ask if it were named after Layren. It was not!

16. Eleventh_Guard

Eleventh_Guard Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2005
    Hmm... you know, I can't think of any, except maybe with a couple of character's names. The origin of the name "Cenja" is fairly obvious and intentional. I'm kind of surprised nobody's called me out on having a major OC whose name is a mutant form of my own, but that particular character carried that name from back when she was just a brief profile on a semi-RP/discussion forum on another board.

I do most of my crossings in the RPF; I like to name my characters after Dune characters, but otherwise be completely Star Wars.

17. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    I do this a lot. One of the stories on my hardrive has a lot of references to the poem the Jabberwocky.

18. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    You don't have your slithy tovetrooperss gimbling in the wabe nebula, do you?

19. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    LOL, not quite. ;) I sort of hid them around so they weren't too obvious. Though I would enjoy a fic called Jawa Wocky. :p

20. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    All the time. They're like landmines.

21. ZebulaNebula

ZebulaNebula Jedi Master star 5

Feb 10, 2005
    Wow, these are more common than I thought.

Striker, did you forget about Unicron's cameo in "Where No Jedi ..."?

And I am tempted to make a slight Dune reference in one of my fics, but am waiting for the right moment.

22. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    D'oh! Yeah, I did.

In Where No Jedi Had Gone Before, I had Q teleport the Vong fleet right in front of Unicron's maw.

23. Meredith_Kenobi

Meredith_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    All. The. Time. My fics are packed with stuf like this, especially the names of my OC's and made up aliens and stuff. I have a habit of flipping names of movie characters or titles, and band names when I can't think of a name for something. If anybody's noticed yet they haven't said anything. :p

24. SpiritofEowyn

SpiritofEowyn Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    I've done a few. Not with character names yet, most of those are related to original characters from unwritten orginal fiction and/or babylonian/really old india or farsi.

In Learning What it Means to be Human I have Jacen going to Ut(listed as a planet in the Hapes cluster) which is a reference to my old fanforce. I even go as far as to make Utah jokes about the planet. The character saying this is of course very vaguely like a native of Utah. :p "It sounds like the sort of place that eats food made from flavored animal jelly. Or a land covered in salt."

Does BO (Body Oder) mean the same thing in GFFA? If not, it's another one.

A lot of my humor fics make reference to earth culture...

::is now plotting to add significance to her fics by making random references to Oreos, penguins, squid, muffins. As well as fit in a Guin and Kath in one of her stories::[face_thinking]

How does the number of the cell reflect the fate of the fic Ish? Did you have 0340= Dead a la 733t? 666=bad guy?

25. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    Yes, I'm guilty of doing this. Most of the time when I do it, nobody would ever notice it. I use random quotes from some of my other favorite tv shows and movies. Ocassionally I use inside jokes or random quotes from my friends, which are my tiny way of paying homage to them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.