main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Do you support a US led war on Iraq without UN approval?

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by The Gatherer, Feb 7, 2003.

?

Do you support a US led war on Iraq without UN approval?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. Yes

53.4%
  2. No

46.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
  2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    No, I do not. The UN was created to prevent warmongering, and try to provide peaceful solutions. However, if the UN thinks that they need to stop something/someone with millitary force, they will.

3. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    Yes I do.

If France Veto's the resolution sure to come, then it is clear evidence that the UN is unwilling or unable as a body to accomplish their stated goal.

4. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    I support the United States.

Iraq has thumbed its nose at the United Nations for 12 years. The UN has become incompetant, complacent, inneffective and obsolete.

5. Jedi_Suzuran

Jedi_Suzuran Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2002
    No, I don't. A coalition is needed, and that means rallying UN support.

6. Crimson-Larko

Crimson-Larko Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 14, 2001
    No. By going over the UN on this the US become exactly what they say they are trying to fight. A Rogue State. The UN is the only voice of moderation left in the world, and the US can't expect it to be a rubber stamp for everything they want to do.

7. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jansons_Funny_Twin Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Yes, because if the UN is not willing to back up their own rules and laws, then they don't deserve to tell us what to do.

8. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I support war under the UN. If that fails, then I'll reconsider.

E_S

9. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Jedi_Suzuran, there IS already a coalition!

As we speak, there are currently British and Australian forces side by side with the US forces in the gulf.

10. Mrs_Kitty

Mrs_Kitty Jedi Knight star 5

May 23, 2002
  11. ISD_Devastator

ISD_Devastator Jedi Master star 4

Oct 11, 2002
    NO
    What a great coalition you have: US, UK and some east-European nations. With less than convincing 'proof'...
    War sucks. I'm on the same side with herr Schröder this time.

12. JediStryker

JediStryker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 5, 2000
    Yes. The UN has become a useless group of rule-makers. They're like parents that tell their kids not to do something, and then shrug it off when the kid goes and does it anyway. It's time for the US and it's true allies like the UK and Australia (who have some of the coolest and nicest pilots in the world, by the way; I see them sometimes here at my base) and others to do the right thing and end the Hussein threat for good.

13. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    "The UN has become incompetant, complacent, inneffective and obsolete."

I totally agree with you. What good is an organisation if it takes ages to make decisions?!

14. JADES_FIRE

JADES_FIRE Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    I support the United States.

Iraq has thumbed its nose at the United Nations for 12 years. The UN has become incompetant, complacent, inneffective and obsolete.

Very well said Gatherer :D

15. AdmiralOzzal

AdmiralOzzal Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 12, 2002
    The UN is exactly like the protrayal of the Senate in the PT, a bunch of indecisive, bumbling bureacrats . . . this is exactly why Padme led the vote of no confidence against the former Chancellor . . .

come on . . . twelve plus years and this issue has NOT gotted resolved YET???!!!! WTF!!!???? Either drop the entire UN resolutions against Iraq or enforce it!! one or the other . . . sssheeeesh . . .

the fact that the Bush administration has to even deal with this problem TWELVE YEARS later just show how sad and a failure the UN has been . . .

if those who are complaining about the US doing something about Iraq had DONE something during the twelve years then this wouldn't even be an issue . . .

these are the same nations that are whining that the US haven't signed up to their precious treaties (Kyoto for example) . . . whats the use of treaties/resolutions/international mandates if you don't enforce them . . .

DECLARED US coalition: Great Britain, Australia, Italy, Japan, Turkey, Kuwaitt, Quatar, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Yemen and SIXTEEN other European nations . . .

DECLARED AGAINST: France, Germany, Russia, China, Cuba and Libya

you decide . . .

16. NiktosRule

NiktosRule Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2001
    I don't support war with Iraq without the UN. We need the support of the rest of the world if we are to start a war.

17. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I answered yes, but if/when we go in, even without the U.N. we will have a coalition of nations. If this happens then we may have a new alliance of those nations.

18. WhiteHorse

WhiteHorse Jedi Master star 4

Apr 3, 2002
    I answered NO.
    The UN is the only institute, world wide, with power to make such a decision. If USA does act alone, it should punished and called into attention for derespecting the UN decision.

19. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    No for the very selfish reason that my good friend Joe is over there right now, and I would hate to think that there's a possibility of him getting killed.

20. Kyp_side_of_TheForce

Kyp_side_of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    No, and I wouldn't even if we got UN approval... It would simply lower my oppinion of the UN.

21. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jansons_Funny_Twin Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    WhiteHorse
    I answered NO.
    The UN is the only institute, world wide, with power to make such a decision. If USA does act alone, it should punished and called into attention for derespecting the UN decision.

What decisions? It hasn't done anything except to talk endlessly and pass resolutions that it has no intention of enforcing.

Miana
    No for the very selfish reason that my good friend Joe is over there right now, and I would hate to think that there's a possibility of him getting killed.

I have about 8 friends and family over there, including my cousin and my best friend. If war breaks out, my brother, my father, and a dozen others I am close to may go.

I say let them do their friggin jobs.

22. Alabak

Alabak Jedi Padawan star 4

May 21, 2001
  23. Tod

Tod Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 1999
    I don't support war on Iraq even with UN approval.

24. ISD_Devastator

ISD_Devastator Jedi Master star 4

Oct 11, 2002
    I don't support attack/war against anyone with or wuthout approval of UN or anyone else. Never.
    Self-defence is a completely different matter.
    This "pre-empive war"-idea is strange: Bush claims that Iraq threatens the World, but as I see it, he threatens his own people and of his neighbors only Israel. Why would he attack other surrounding arab nations now, when he has some support from them?

25. Darth Mischievous

Darth Mischievous Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 12, 1999
    Yes.

If the UN doesn't enforce it's own resolutions, than what good is it?

The U.S. has the sovereign right to take action on threats to our national security with or without UN approval. The UN isn't a world government.

The same attitude was apparent in 1930's Europe as in today: appeasement. There will always be people who are afraid of conflict, and will run away from it regardless if it is the right thing to do. If the pacifists would have had their way, possibly the entire Jewish race on the European continent would have been exterminated.

Now, you also didn't see these anti-war types when the Bosnian conflict (which I served in when I was in the military) was going on. Where was the opposition? Or the peace protests? I didn't see them there. Where were our European "allies" the French and the Germans in that conflict? I didn't hear much about them, either. Dissent is one thing, being anti-American another. The "peace" movement is blatantly anti-American.

Simply stated, the US has many allies in this endeavor, not as the media would have you believe. Many of the European countries besides the cowardly French and the anti-American German government (e.g., Schroder) are solidly behind us.

It really is irrelevant though, because the train has left Grand Central Station. In one month, probably around the New Moon, we will be at war and the people of Iraq will be liberated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.