main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Do you think its possible for FanFiction author to be skilled enough to write a lucasfilm SW book?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Labria_uk, Apr 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlrikFassbauer

AlrikFassbauer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2003
    (Sorry, this is getting a bit offtopic ;) )

I had pondered on the "herd" thing.

I conclude by quoting myself: My erstwhile suspicions have been proven: the only kind of opinion acceptable on these forums is the one that meets the approval of the Herd.

In this case / thread there is the view that an individual opinion is not acceptable because it is not the view of any kind of "herd".

Now, we are individuals. So in our opinion, individual opinions are worth something, or even more worth than a "herd's view", so to say.

Do we put individial views a being superior to "herd" views ?

What about Ithorians ? At least in the EU they are living in "herds". so that's totally normal for them, expressing thoughts that are rather not of individual kind, but rather of common acknowledgement.

So let's try an experiment :

I conclude by quoting myself: My erstwhile suspicions have been proven: the only kind of opinion acceptable on these forums is the one that meets the approval of the Herd.

How would these words sound in the "ears" of an Ithorian ?

I believe that ALL Ithorians would agree to that statement. To call this belief "suspicious" would sound rather insulting in the "ears" of an Ithorian. Insulting, because herd-thinking is normal to them, and only outsiders must "supect" something about that way of thinking. Outsiders, like humans, for example. Remember, that Individualism doesn't seem to even exist in Ithorian culture - that's why Momaw Nadon really feels to be outcast - outcast from his herd !

So, I wanted to show with that example an example of interpretation. Everything can be interpreted, and everything needs to be seen in the proper context. The same sentence might be insulting in one culture, but isn't in another.

That's what I wanted to show. ;) Thanks for reading. ;)

(My keyboard is no longer functioning as I want it to since my last incident of grape juice flowing into it. :p I must edit much more often than months ago. :( )

2. Daughterofflame

Daughterofflame Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2003
    Can fanfic writers be as good or better than the RL SW writers?

can I get a great big "DUH!!!!!!" ?????

Ok, here's the reason.

There are two main differences between a published SW author, and us fanfic authors:

1) They have this nice piece of paper framed above their huge mahogany desk called a diploma. (I suppose a lot of us do to, but some of the best FF writers I've read are still in high school, and have YEARS to go before completing college.) This- I hate to say it- over-inflates their sense of universal knowledge (pun not quite intended). FF writers have this low self-esteem problem, often, and it causes us to want to take every necessary measure to improve our writing, and characterization. We delve into all sorts of stuff (personally, I have over 63 [ I say 'over' even though it's a specific number, because it's been a while since I've counted] Star Wars books, not counting my Zahn's original SW encyclopedia and the cross-sections books on planets and vehicles.) to try to improve out POV and perception of the SW universe. WHy? Because a) we feel we need to, and b) it's just fun to us.

2) These authors may (or as in most cases, may not) have a deep interest in Star Wars. They're simply published, possibly well-known, sci-fi writers that Del-Rey hired to write a book. They don't get into a book or a specific character like we do. They're trying to make a living, we've got all the time in the universe (figuratively speaking, and Pun most definitely intended!) (again, referrring back to reason # 1 [see a patern?] )FF writers take the time and energy to devote themselves to getting a scene and a character right. Not only that, but our major improvements come from READING other stuff and critiquing it. Other than Timothy Zahn (and Troy Denning in SBS), I don't know of another SW writer that got into the SW realm that much.

So, yes, a lot of FF writers are as good or better than the published ones. It's really too bad that Lucas can't agree and allow select FF writers to have a part in the official fun.

~*~Austyn

3. Jedi_Bant

Jedi_Bant Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 13, 2004
    I can?t remember who said it first but I agree with her that anyone who answers ?No? to this question will be in the minority in a *fan fiction* board and I don?t think this is really a *discussion* about whether fan fiction writers can really write Lucasbooks. Not that I am saying fan fiction writers cannot be good Lucasbooks writers, because they can, although I don?t think the EU stories are so bad but that is my opinion, but what I mean is that this thread should not have been started in the first place, at least not in a Fanfiction board, maybe in the Literature board, because the opinion here is bound to be one-sided and anything against will be taken very personally by most of the people that post in the Fan fiction boards. It?s not that *Roguewinter* is not making good points, it?s just that they are not welcome here! Anyway, I just wanted to say that those points about Jar Jar are so good and I never thought before how important Jar Jar was in the film until I read them and now I want to know, what do you think about Jar Jar in *AotC*? Was he as important in *AotC* as he was in *TPM*? I am sorry if that is not relevant to this discussion.

4. AlrikFassbauer

AlrikFassbauer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2003
    Hello.

I hope I won't heat up the discussion again, but I nevertheless wanted to post here a thread I had once posted in the "Literature" area and a sister thread here in the Fan Fiction area.

I incidentally dug it out again (almost forgotten), andwant to present it here before I forget it onceagain. ;) :p

How is the relationship between the Literature and the FanFiction ?

5. R2D1000

R2D1000 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    It's really too bad that Lucas can't agree and allow select FF writers to have a part in the official fun.

why don't you sign the petition below, to institute an official Lucasfilm award for fan fiction, like they have for fan films-

Star Wars fan fiction award petition

6. Vampi_Digitalwytch

Vampi_Digitalwytch Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 11, 2004
    It's really too bad that Lucas can't agree and allow select FF writers to have a part in the official fun.

The only others who have it close to how good we have it is the Trek people with Paramount. But when you figure they've been hot and cold feelings with fanfic over the years since the original show aired, they've learned a few things.

Considering the gamut fanfic can run from the G rated to the NC-17 to the slash to the squick, we're better off with a fanfic writer making thier name with some original work then migrating the Lucasfilms way.

That way it doesn't rock the boat with the blind eye Lucas turns to us since all it takes is one word from him for whatever reason (could be characterization portrayals or the burrito he had for lunch) and we're verboten from writing fanfics like what Anne Rice's done.

7. emimar

emimar Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 3, 2003
    If some one is really serious about writing, you need to make a name for yourself by writing stories in a universe with characters, creatures etc that you have created.

Only then will you be even considered for writing a SW book.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.