main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Do you think Lucasfilm waited too long to make the Sequel Trilogy?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by DarthVist, Sep 17, 2020.

Tags:
?

Do you think they waited too long to make the Sequel Trilogy?

1. Yes

30 vote(s)
    30.9%
  2. No

53 vote(s)
    54.6%
  3. I have mixed feelings about it

14 vote(s)
    14.4%
  1. Supreme Leader Kylo Ren

Supreme Leader Kylo Ren Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 29, 2019
    Despite what experiences you've had online, there's no statistics to support that the majority of Star Wars fans harass people involved with production. Critiquing the films isn't the same thing. Rian Johnson and Kathleen Kennedy get rightfully criticized nowadays. Kelly Marie Tran doesn't get any hate nowadays, and like I said, the way she was treated by a small minority of people isn't indicative of the entire fanbase. Lots of people disliked Rose, but they didn't harass her.

No one's arguing that "you should be allowed to insult someone" I'm saying that your "this fandom doesn't deserve SW" statement is pretty hyperbolic. The treatment that famous people get when involved with divisive products and controversial situations isn't something exclusive to Star Wars, and it's not reinforced by anywhere near a majority of Star Wars fans.

Trolls should be separated from those actually giving thoughtful critique and analysis.

The actor who plays Finn, John Boyega, has attested to the fact that the diverse cast members of the ST were treated poorly. He actually has firsthand experience of the making of the films, so I don't think it's up for debate.
    I could prove it, but I'd prefer to keep it concise like that.

Not to say that you're morally wrong, but I do believe people go overboard and overestimate the actual amount of negative human beings who harass those involved with Star Wars.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  2. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    Do you mean by treated poorly while beeing on set and filming of withhin the script? For my knowledge Boyega complained over the treatment of his character and that the producers "knew what to do with Kylo and Rey" but not with Finn. I did not read anything about a poor treatment of diverse cast and crewmembers during the production.

If its about how the characters are treated: I dont see it. Thats all I meant. If Boyega feels Finn wasnt treated right he can think so but beside that I think he a fair amount of screentime and character development.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    StartCenterEnd likes this.
  3. Supreme Leader Kylo Ren

Nov 29, 2019
    I don't see why you'd disagree with the actor who actually has extensive knowledge of the script of the films and production.

[​IMG]

But, sure, if you need evidence take the Episode 7 marketing. Besides Finn's presence on the poster being reduced to placate to racist audiences, he was presented as a lead character throughout the marketing.

Finn holding a lightsaber, being as big as Kylo Ren on the poster, constantly promoted as if he was of similar importance to Rey. Yet after the film released and Finn was used to bait diverse audiences, he was sidelined, as John Boyega says.

4. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    Well, I see we have a Lucasfilm advisor here. It’s important because so many of us waited 32 years to see the characters we loved AND who made Star Wars a hit on a screen together. TFA was sold on fans getting to see them - only to be given them separated from each other, trashed and then killed one by one for the crime of being the reason the franchise was a hit in the first place.

They can’t be separated because they’re never reunited.

wobbits, ChildOfWinds, 2Cleva and 2 others like this.
  5. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    They are never mutch together to begin with. Only in ANH then we see little here and there.

JeanNo, KyleKartan and StartCenterEnd like this.
  6. PendragonM

Mar 7, 2018
  7. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Some say failure, some say realistic.

StartCenterEnd and KyleKartan like this.
  8. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Who are these realistic middle aged losers you speak of? Not all of us become bitter and broken, and some of us go to the movies for an escape. Not to see Luke turn into my surly neighbor.

9. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    There are no happy endings, only grey.

10. KyleKartan

Feb 4, 2004
    Wow...why so bitter?

Who said Iam a LFL advisor? Can't you stand different opinions? Is the ST Subforum only there for ****ting on the movies? Nobody told me so.

Why is it bad t have them seperated? TFA wasnt sold to us with the premise of them beeing together. It was sold to us with them returing. No more no less. You can point out many things that went wrong with the TFA marketing but that point wasnt sold to the fans in a wrong way at all. And alone in TFA you have Chewie, Han, Leia and 3PO together. I don't see your point at all and IMO you make it way to big. All of them are there and featured very prominently in the movies.

Iam sorry if you didnt get what you wanted but its not up to LFL and Disney to fullfill everyones wishes. I think they catered the OT Purists were much with TFA so IMO your complains about the OT Big 3 not beeing together in eighter movie for me is only childish. Sorry...

11. PendragonM

Mar 7, 2018
    Like whatever focus groups they consulted or Iger et al's luring us in with the OT cast and then deciding to kill them, you don't get it. Really, I should be happy to see Han trashed, Han and Leia split up and their only child a dark lord who then murders Han? I should be happy Luke is turned into a loser and a failure? I should be happy to see them never reunited? I'd ask if you were serious but I've seen that response too many times. No, I'm not happy. I'm sick to death of being told I should be because as an "OT purist" I got what I wanted. I didn't.

Calling me childish and apologizing, yeah, no disconnect there. Tell me how they catered to the "OT Purists" again? Putting a few old ships onscreen? Putting the characters we loved onscreen only to degrade and kill them? That's a new definition of catering.

And I find it funny that someone calling other people "OT Purists" has an avatar of Lucas with Hamill from ANH.

Frankly, I was on the fence about seeing the movies at all and the only reason I came back was for the old cast coming back. Now, am I happy I found SW fandom online because of it? Absolutely. However, watching characters I love being destroyed and the responses like yours? Not happy.

12. KyleKartan

Feb 4, 2004
    I said "Iam sorry if you didnt get what you wanted" so again: If you didnt get what you wanted Iam sorry for you. But that is no ones fault at all. You had expectations and wishes and they were not fullfilled but who's to blame? The writers for having a different Idea? The producers and directors for doing something different then what you wanted? Its like with anything were a story is told: if you expect something and get something different its ok to be sad or disappointed but the sheer bitterness and hatred potrayed here is childish.

I didnt expect Snape to be a good guy in the end. I didnt want Dumbledore to die. Do I hate or blame JK Rowling for making story decicions she thought were right? No.

Its your point of view if they are degraded. You pretend like killing of the OT Big 3 is blasphemia. It isnt. Yes, those characters are movie legends and heros but that doesnt make them holy godlike beeings. I really find it baffling that its a issue that they have been killed in a triolgy where they were always supposed to be more supporting cast.

So? I dont get your point? Am I not allowed to use one of my favorite BTS pics of SW because I love everything STAR WARS? Do I need to ask you to allow me to use it? I dont get what you're trying to do here.

Sorry if my response doesnt make you happy but your rants and bashings all around the ST Forum dont make me happy eighter. So we are on equal terms here.

13. PendragonM

Mar 7, 2018
    Not wanting them turned into losers and then killed for nothing does not mean that we want them to be "holy godlike beings." Being the heroes they were would have been fine. Dying for something other than Darth Emo's "redemption" would have also been fine.

Why? This is of a piece with "why are you complaining about a movie from two years ago" while posting about how awesome said movie is. You get to like things, I get to hate them. That's not childish. Also, I'm tired of that criticism as well. "You didn't like it, get over it and love it or go away." Not how it works. Just because I'm passionate about how something disappointed me, that's not childish.

As Mr Spock would say, sauce for the goose.

14. fugacity

fugacity Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 7, 2018
    Was never, ever going to be a big three redux. Some of you were waiting for a thing that could never have happened, and I'd argue, shouldn't have happened. There's tragedy in it. There's weight to Luke's decision.

It should never have been a love fest for our favorite characters. That would never have been good for the story.

15. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    One scene between the OT 3 is too much to ask for? Oh this thread.

16. Supreme Leader Kylo Ren

Nov 29, 2019
    Why are people being treated as crazy for wanting the main cast of the Original Trilogy to be reunited? It's called the Sequel Trilogy for a reason, when you make Sequels you have to deal with the expectations that come with that.

17. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    no it is not, but is it a good story. I mean when Obi Wan and Anakin reuntie at the death star only one makes it out alive,

fugacity likes this.
  18. Supreme Leader Kylo Ren

Nov 29, 2019
    ...Because Darth Vader was a genocidal maniac with a personal grudge against Obi-Wan. The main trio of the Original Trilogy were best friends.

And as for it being "a good story" I disagree. Honestly, I really doubt time will work in favor of the Sequels when it comes to the fanbase's reception to it. At least the Prequels had worldbuilding, a cohesive vision, and worked to somewhat enhance the Original Trilogy. The Sequels actively tear down what came before.

wobbits, 2Cleva, ChildOfWinds and 3 others like this.
  19. fugacity

Jun 7, 2018
    I'd love it. I just struggle to see a way to do it without it feeling like a sitcom reunion show.

KyleKartan likes this.
  20. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    what am saying is, even if they be reunited you probaly still end with one of them dead. Star Wars and mentor figures has never gotten well.

KyleKartan and StartCenterEnd like this.
  21. Supreme Leader Kylo Ren

Nov 29, 2019
    Well, if you need examples, Star Wars Legends has plenty.

22. fugacity

Jun 7, 2018
    No thanks.

Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  23. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    And alot of those legends book are just not that good now then they were in the 80's or 90's.

24. Supreme Leader Kylo Ren

Nov 29, 2019
    So... You're willfully ignoring evidence in order to support your preconceived viewpoint?

25. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    So the obvious solution is to not reunite them and kill them all. :p