main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Do you think more people will warm up to the ST 15-20 years from now?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by CrAsHcHaOs, Jun 15, 2021.

1. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    The egos of the individuals involved would never allow that to happen. A company like Nintendo can do it because they aren't promoting individual game creators the way a film company does with its creators.

More that they are bound by their investors. If they flat out admit that their previous product was bad, that would bring on a huge drop in how investors would see the franchise going forward.

2. Awushi Awere

Awushi Awere Jedi Knight star 2

May 11, 2020
    Someone like me votes against. What now? Should this be decided democratically? Then your party would (very probably) win. But is this the point of making movies and art? But yes...this leads to the ancient question: to whom belongs SW actually? George Lucas? The storygroup? The fans? Which fans actually? The majority of pro/contra Disney? We fans have no choice and only as a big (prominent on internet) group they can influence the franchise a bit (like for example with the PT hate they contributed to the ST as an OT-like trilogy) but that's sad actually (in my opinion). I mean...of course..."money rules". As always. "Don't mess with your fans", sure. But the most stupid thing Disney could do now in my opinion, is deleting their own content and listening to some of the "loudest fans". What they should do is to stand behind their creations. To stand their ground. To develope and improve their universe of stories. Little contradictions or polarizing stuff in comics or books? Can happen. But to go forward and to not stop now is going to be the key. Otherwise Disney/Lucasfilm is going to lose their fans' respect aswell plus credibility suffers majorly. In short: They need to work with what they have (content-wise and fan-wise). Everything else time will tell.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
  3. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I see alot of people talking as if Disney is struggling with Star Wars because of the ST and how they need are in an all time low... did anyone not see they have like 10 projects planned? did anyone not see they are currently filming several of time. the Mandalorian in itself did very well for Disney+. Disney are not struggling with Star Wars. and fans are not rejecting Star Wars clearly. which means there is no downfall for Disney Star Wars.

Its fair to say that would be stupid of Disney to throw out a statement like that. fans might love to hear them say it, but overall it wouldn't be a good studio move at all.

4. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Disney will do whatever the bottom line dictates. If, at some point, the balance sheet shows that the ST isn't bringing in a sufficient amount of cash, they'll scrap it, clear the board, and start again with another interpretation, declaring it to be the "new canon". They've done it before, they'll do it again. Yes, they won't be able to reunite the cast of the still-viable original movies (and wasting that opportunity was a massive blunder), but it'll still bring in a significant portion of the fandom, for a time. And they won't have to say, "We messed up; sorry." They can just say, "We made a business judgment based on the viability of our product in the current market and decided that we should attempt a new paradigm to better fit the present state of consumer confidence."
    Hey, Marvel and DC seems to do this every other year. It's not like it's an unprecedented move.

5. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    Why?

Companies make judgments/decisions all the time. They’re not huddling in a corner with no clue what to do about the ST. They’ll decide how to go forward with the ST as they decide any major decisions. They have tons of internals we have no access to as fans.

It’ll be fine. They’re big boys and girls.

2Cleva likes this.
  6. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    I don't think Disney can be that reckless. where does it end? oh that new movie we released didn't do well... not canon then. oh this tv show was well received... canon!. that would be dreadful business sense. it might seem ok from an outsider prospect, just like back when people were arguing Disney would ignore or reboot the PT. from a business prospective that would actually hurt them more than just accepting it and moving forward.

And why the hell couldn't they move forward? i never really was expecting that ater episode 9 there would be sequel after sequel for them, because there were too many time periods to expore anyway. they will likely go back to the ST time period at some point, even if there is no Rey and Co apart of it. when they figure out what exactly they are doing with the ST period moving forward. they won't have a george lucas template this time. unlike with past time periods.

7. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I'd rather they just move on, instead of spending the next decade trying to make the ST watchable. Kill the past, as they told us.

8. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Well Disney are gonna explore a dozen areas of the Star Wars Universe. its fair to say the ST will probably be expanded upon in various ways. just like the PT and OT are getting various expansions through animation and live action. which is probably far more believable then the pick and choose approach to canon based on reception. which would is very unhealthy for them.

9. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    It's not being reckless, it's just business. I seriously doubt the major league suits at Disney are so committed to the ST or "Star Wars" in general that they'd stick with it if it wasn't making a sufficient profit. And it could be done with a simple stroke of a pen, just like they erased most of the old EU. And, again, there are precedents for this. Spider-Man has had multiple reboots, as have every other superhero. "Star Trek" has had the TOS era restructured twice, so far. "Doctor Who" has stayed unusually close to long-running canon until relatively recently, and they may just clear the decks again when the current team steps down. It all comes down to ratings, focus group results, and incoming revenues.
    I'm not saying Disney will just altogether abandon the ST storyline & characters. Not yet, anyway. They'll run them for as long as it brings in the cash. Then, when it drops below expectations, that's when it all goes on hiatus until the next "new canon" is figured out.

10. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Let's be honest; the ST would have made money no matter what they put out. It's all about trends and perception.

11. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    The Saga is the foundation of the franchise as it exists now. Not that easy to “move on” from.

Most folks consider the Saga to *be* Star Wars. I’ve been amazed at how many SW fans don’t know that most adults consider cartoons to be “kids stuff” and aren’t familiar with Rebels/TCW.

12. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    I barely watch the animated stuff and I'm a huge fan. I've just never been into animation.

13. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016

This is Star Wars we are talking about here. this isn't just some random franchise that they can be like ah well it didn't work, give it another 10 years and reboot. no this is a universe of lore. you take the good and the bad. Star wars will by the numbers make them Money anyway. even the ST made a billion a movie. sure everyone goes Disney must be so disappointed by those movies because the numbers went down. Well that doesn't change the fact that hit or miss, once its there, its there. all you can do is go with it.

Thing is how can you have a new canon when you have

The acolyte, The PT, Clone Wars, the Bad Batch, Rebels, Obi Wan, Andor, Lando, The OT, The Mandalorian, Boba fett, Ahsoka.

And thats only half of it, how can you create a new canon out of so much material. it would be a complete mess to try and figure out with that perspective of deciding whats canon and what isn't. its just not gonna happen. it wouldn't make business sense to do it. and it wouldn't encourage more money. if anything people will see how lack of dignity in Disney's original plan when it comes to canon and think even less of them for their failure

14. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I don’t think it’s necessarily about making the ST watchable, people who don’t like them have already made up their mind, but that doesn’t mean some of the characters introduced in the ST won’t still have appeal if given good stories, I maintain that Finn, Rey, and even Poe all are decent characters who just deserve a good story, it wouldn’t really change how the ST is perceived though

I mean, I generally do not like the PT, I thought they were very poorly told, some people think the TCW show helped especially with Anakin, I don’t know, I didn’t really care for him in the animated show either, however still to this day I wouldn’t mind seeing Kenobi, Padme, and Anakin in good stories, I’m pretty curious about the upcoming Kenobi show

15. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    And there are many fans who are fine with new SW stuff that has nothing to do with prior SW stuff. But I’d estimate that most folks really into SW are in it for the storylines and characters, not just the setting, and aren’t guaranteed to pick up stuff like THR.

Imo the best mix is doing brand-new stuff while also doing new projects that connect directly to the familiar. Marvel’s formula works for a reason.

2Cleva and christophero30 like this.
  16. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    Again, they've done it once, they can do it again. It's not about maintaining a "universe of lore". It's about maintaining a good profit margin for the stockholders. It's not about being "keepers of the flame" or "guardians of the saga" or whatever. They bought Lucasfilm and the related franchise because it made good business sense, at that time. And when it ceases to make good business sense, they'll pull the plug, wait a while, and try again when the time and the market is right. And they won't care about what avenues for the story already exist; they'll check the survey results and make up new ones. It's quite simple, really.

17. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    the high republic content is excellent, the ones I’ve read anyways

but books and comics are never expected to do as well as live action, if John Boyega were to reprise his role in a new Finn story I think that would have massive appeal regardless of his character not getting a decent story in the ST

godisawesome likes this.
  18. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Well that would be far more damaging to them. maybe that would work with any other franchise. but not Star Wars. it wouldn't work with Star Trek, which is probably why they are making shows in the original timeline again. and basically any franchise thats had a long life and lore stands a harder time.

19. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I agree. I don't like the ST, but what's done is done... I think it would just make things worse to try to "fix" it or redo it now, and it also wouldn't be fair to the fans who do like the ST. Just move on, and focus on other things like they've already been doing with the D+ series. Even if future series or movies take place during or after the ST timeframe, that doesn't mean they're inherently tainted the way some like to say.

But most regular viewers also don't consider the Saga to be one consistently even thing either... many of them refer to certain movies within the Saga as being better than the others.

20. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Agreed unless you are watching for the first time I rarely watch any franchise all the way through.

21. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    How could you fully appreciate any of the Police Academy movies without watching the full Police Academy Saga?

22. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Touche[face_laugh]

EHT likes this.
  23. FromDromundKaasWithLove

FromDromundKaasWithLove Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2020
    I definitely don't think Disney considers the Sequel Trilogy to have had the desired success that they were after; they haven't tried to hit the ground running with any post-trilogy material sans the comics (of which I believe there is only the Star Wars: Adventures series which is a blend of stories from every era) After Star Wars: Resistance concluded the month after Rise of Skywalker, that was it - there was no more television series featuring that particular era.

Contrast that with the amount of content derived from the two other eras and their characters (The Bad Batch, the Mandalorian, Ahsoka, Kenobi, Book of Boba Fett, Lando etc.)

There's also the series that was launched off the Mandalorian and set during its era (The Rangers of the New Republic)

They launched an entirely new era - High Republic - which has its own comic series, novels and an upcoming television series titled The Acolyte

(I personally believe that Disney took every lesson from the mistakes made during the making of the Sequel Trilogy and used it when planning and creating the High Republic in all its stages and aspects)

The anthology series Visions and its tie-in novel Ronin also deserves a mention.

When you look at all of this, the Sequel era feels neglected.

The Poe Dameron comic series was suppose to conclude with its 25th issue but was extended due to strong sales and reader support. It ended in 2018 and there has, to my knowledge, been no continuation.

The same with Kylo Ren whose four-part miniseries (Rise of Kylo Ren), which purportedly sold well, ended in 2019. No continuation. No equivalent to the Star Wars: Darth Vader ongoing and, as far as I can tell, no attempt to try to launch one.

Disney uses nostalgia as the springboard, a strategy you can see apparent but poorly executed with the Sequel Trilogy (due to numerous reasons) but not as its sole source: they are perfectly willing to put faith in new characters and their success.

The Doctor Aphra comic series was springboarded by the Darth Vader comic series, and ran from 2016 to 2019. It was then continued in 2020 (and met complications due to Covid) Aphra is not a character from a brand new trilogy nor is she related to anyone important yet she still has her own ongoing. Meanwhile, Rey was the protagonist of a whole trilogy - a whole (multimedia) film trilogy was used as her springboard - and has had neither solo novel nor ongoing.

Disney haven't been trying to give anything to the fans that liked the films and/or the characters and are interested in media where they and/or their era is in focus.

I don't think Disney is going to do a hard reboot of the Sequel Trilogy, but what I can see them do (and what I think they are likely going to do) is follow this absence of content with a slow rehabilitation through materials set in the preceeding area (ex. the OT and post-OT era) where aspects of the ST story and characters will be largely open to both soft and hard retcons as the stories start to venture into the era and touches upon those characters. The ST's established canoncity will be deprioritized, especially if it's something that was not well-received or considered "less functional" in the grand scheme (ex. Luke's lack of students)

We already seem to be seeing this happening as the aforementioned Kylo Ren miniseries established that Ben was Luke's first student yet in the Mandalorian, we see him seek out Grogu and take him away for training. For clarification, we don't know yet if it's a hard retcon (or if it's a soft retcon: for example, Grogu doesn't stay a padawan so he doesn't "count" as Luke's student)

24. dogprivilege

dogprivilege Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    I could absolutely see them introducing new Luke-trained Jedi characters for the era and then just leaving their fate/status in the ST unknown. They obviously did this with the OT and maybe have already done it with the ST (Grogu).

I wouldn't be able to blame them. The ST, really TFA on its own, kills/neuters so many story possibilities for the era. Both the new Jedi and the new republic end in complete failures that take us back right where we started, so any post OT stories about these things are gonna feel a bit dead end-y.

25. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    Well, most “sagas” are just a string of related stand-alone stories. The SW Saga movies - with the exception of ANH - weren’t designed to be stand-alone stories.

2Cleva likes this.