main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Do you think more people will warm up to the ST 15-20 years from now?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by CrAsHcHaOs, Jun 15, 2021.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    With Finn I don’t think they didn’t know how to build him into the story, I think they just didn’t care to do so.

2. paradigmes

paradigmes Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 9, 2021
    Edit: I edit post. The discuss about Finn treatment has probably been made many times and it drag the discussion down this thread. I am sorry, I will save for Finn's own thread.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
  3. sian1965

sian1965 Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 26, 2020
    I think the ST writers and directors, for the most part, only cared about Rey. It's very obvious in TROS.

Togruta and paradigmes like this.
  4. paradigmes

Jun 9, 2021
    I do not think they even care about Rey sadly. I think that they cared about serving up something that look like a Star Wars character to audience which would be familiar to audience at a very shallow level.

5. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    They cared about Rey only in how she could service Kylo’s story. Him dying and her being on her own at the end does not change that.

6. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    Yes, new fans and older fans will have nostalgia and revisit ST era of Star Wars. Every trilogy has produced burnout for the fans, directors, and actors in the years following the release of the third film.

7. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    It's why I find it unlikely Filoni continues the story. The ST is the anti-approach to how he's handled his SW stories.

Him mining the ST of characters like he's mined the EU is what's best for his SW story then trying to fix the ST.

8. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I don't know. The idea of trying to pull off another TCW (making a TV series to try to "save" the divisive movies it's based off and make some of its characters more "likeable")... I don't think that would work. At least not for me.

9. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    I agree. TCW was launched in conjunction with the PT movies and have the same creators (GL). Of course it makes sense and adds context. There is no such project around the ST. Could have been Resistance but it failed (and I would love to know why Filoni bailed early from it and doesn't claim it).

Bottom line - the commitment to the PT story was evident among LFL when it was launched. That's why it survived and people accepted - there was no other choice. There was/is no such conviction to the ST story.

If LFL had the team around TCW focused on cleaning up the ST via Resistance or other story - that would have been different. They instead started telling their own story with folks from Marvel (Mandalorian), and building off GL's previous TCW work (S7, Bad Batch).

As of now - Rogue Squadron is the only "hope" for a non-connected story coming forward and I find that unlikely. Yeah - there is the High Resistance EU but that's mostly ignored.

10. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Well because the ST did very little with alot of the characters, it means whoever made a TCW style show actually has free range to grow various characters more gradually. i mean even TCW took liberties in using characters like Chewbacca, Tarkin, basically other legacy characters you didn't think would be seen that early. same with Rebels actually. so a ST style Clone Wars could easy explore characters like a younger Phasma for example, or the Knights of Ren in a way the movies never did. so there would be more beneficial than none.

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Phasma has a novel, but I could definitely see a Knights of Ren series.

12. paradigmes

Jun 9, 2021
    Yes I think Filoni may cherry pick part of the sequel films where he feel he can write something where the sequel films may serve HIS story, but I do not think he is interested in moulding story that specifically aims to fix the sequels as you say. My feeling is that Disney will unofficially let the sequels just quietly fade away whilst divert fan attention to their newer productions, which is probably the best way to deal with it.

2Cleva likes this.
  13. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    There’s a reason why the OT doesn’t have Han be the one speaking up for Anakin; he has no stake in Anakin’s soul, he has no information on why he would think Anakin is worth anything to the cause, and he only has numerous reasons to fear and hate Vader. Even Leia as Anakin’s daughter still lacks any real reasons to hope for Anakin’s soul, since nothing in her story dealt with that until Luke told her of their relation; while she would have more reasons than Han for the story, she has no momentum going that way as Luke does.

And the problem is that Rey is a lot more similar to Han’s position in this scenario than Leia.
    I think you *can* make a series for the ST… but the scenario is radically different enough from the PT that a TCW-like series is unlikely.

I mean, on a basic level, neither Rey nor Finn would benefit from a show about their time pre-TFA/TLJ, while Kylo’s Ben side is almost *exclusively* best served by a story before that point. And while Rey and Kylo *do* have some stuff of substance between TLJ and TROS, Finn is still short-changed. And then post-TROS, Finn’s in his bets place, as is arguably Rey, but Kylo/Ben is dead and gone.

Now, of course, TCW made a large change to the initial premise by creating Ahsoka as Anakin’s apprentice, while Rebels basically soared once it embraced its own ambitious mythos and stopped acting just as a prequel to the OT. Resistance arguably flopped because it wasn’t ambitious enough.

Arguably…
    - The best thing for Kylo fans is a pre-ST story focused on Ben but meaningless to Rey and Finn.
    - The best thing for Rey and Finn fans is a post-ST story focusing on realizing the forgotten TFA potential, but meaningless for Kylo/Ben.
    - The most flexible thing overall would be to make a Rebels-like story with no ties to any of them, but it would need massive ambition directly contrary to being a “support show” like TCW.

14. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Well you can't really speak for Filoni when you say He isn't interested. you don't really know what he would be interested in doing. its fair to say when the bad batch ends if they asked him to do a series like Lukes Academy or whatever, there is no reason to think he would say no. he has worked within a boundary several times with Clone Wars and Rebels/Bad Batch, so he has always known the result of where the era needed to go. so i don't see why he wouldn't be open to creating an expansion like he did Clone wars. which allowed him a fair amount of freedom also.

Clone wars expanded on alot of lore. introduced stuff that wasn't even a thing originally, and introduced new characters and expanded on old. So while some people won't want to see Disney try and add to their created lore... it probably would be more beneficial to them than not. from their perspective.

15. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    @godisawesome

Ah but Vader tortured Han, so by ST logic he absolutely should have been trying to save Vader’s soul [face_clown]

16. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I will have nostalgia for TFA and the excitement watching the trailers numerous times. I barely even watched the TROS trailer. I had to force myself to.

JoJoPenelli likes this.
  17. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    They could always pull a Darth Maul and bring back Kylo for a post-ST series.

And the scary thing is, that's probably not so ridiculous to actually happen, when you think about the kind of weird magical crap that's been done in TCW, Rebels, and the ST.

18. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    He could come back as a force ghost. but it would probably go abit far to bring him back any other way since he vanished into the force at the end of TROS.

19. sian1965

sian1965 Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 26, 2020

You make some good points here, but personally, as a fan of his, I do not want to see a 'prequel' story about Ben - because I know how the story ends. It ends with him dying.
    Every single Kylo fan I know, have spoken to, and interacted with on SM feels exactly the same way. We all loved the character and DLF broke our hearts. We already have the 'Rise of Kylo Ren' backstory. I don't want another 'prequel'....it will either:
    Make him unsympathetic which will annoy me
    Make him even more tragic which will upset me

In any case, DLF are madly in love with Rey, and if anyone is to get a series - comic book, animated, live action - it will be her. Finn ...I don't know. It depends on if JB is willing to do it, but the fact that his character is now FS means, he'll 'need a teacher', and Rey is the only one who can teach him, so there is always a chance he'll come back.

20. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    The only people who want that are people DLF are really not eager to encourage.

Jedi_Fenrir767 and dogprivilege like this.
  21. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
    There are several options available for Ben's return. For example, and following the Blade Runner 2049 model, a person (a kid or an adult) plus an object (the horse, in BR2049) plus memories (from a past life).

As for the object...in TESB, 2nd film, that saber was lost. It had been Anakin's. Father. Then it was found by Rey and there was a forceback. Past lives.

In TLJ, 2nd film, those dice disappeared much like Ben in TROS. And they meant Han: again, father.

So, maybe they'll be found again by the right person, whoever that is.

22. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Luke should be more likely to be resurrected than Ben… and Han… and Palpatine…. And hell, Kenobi too.

All five *should* stay dead, but if anyone wants to try some comic book resurrection, all those characters are still assets that don’t automatically become liabilities to Rey or any of the other heroes.

23. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Id say Luke certainly would because its Luke Skywalker. There can only be 1 luke skywalker. they want Rey to be the new Luke.

24. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    And all of those characters are more beloved and less controversial.

And dead character from any franchise can be resurrected. The question is how many fans would be willing to wait on the edge of their seats for the fave to be brought back despite nothing signaling that happening. My guess is not many.

25. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    In that case, there are fans of almost every character. including Kylo.