main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Do you think more people will warm up to the ST 15-20 years from now?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by CrAsHcHaOs, Jun 15, 2021.

1. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Things evolve. often things become more appreciated than not.

2. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    …Unless they’ve got problematic aspects that become more seriously considered as time goes on. Birth of a Nation has been torched by its outright racism, and even something like Gone With The Wind has seen its reputation slowly degrade because of its trite uncritical portrayal of the antebellum South.

TLJ is going to suffer more than the other two films as people start to evaluate Rey and Finn’s stories more and more.

3. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Then i think thats an issue with society. If someone can't watch a movie telling a story without examining the sexist and racial prospects. then movies are in for a complicated and messy ride moving toward.

I just read an article that filmmaker Denis Villeneuva said he felt the series died after ROTJ. yes after ROTJ. he didn't like that movie and gave up on Star Wars. but that was purely from a artistic standpoint. not not a political way of making movies standpoint.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
  4. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    people can call out and criticize the problematic elements while still also supporting the positive aspects that they did like

I generally think that Rey, Finn, and Poe are still interesting characters, and that people would still be interested in better told stories featuring them, it’s their strong introductions in TFA that I feel still holds a lot of appeal, and why I think despite the problematic aspects remain popular, I know not everyone thinks that, but we’re speaking generally here

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  5. sian1965

sian1965 Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 26, 2020
    'Better at featuring non white leads'....that is a strange comment regarding TLJ.
    First of all, RJ gave an Asian actress a major role in his film.
    Secondly....Finn was reduced to comic relief in TFA apart from the last ten minutes, and his depiction was embarrassing beyond relief in TROS. His character had far more 'serious' scenes in TLJ. And his potential for leading a stormtroopers' revolt in TROS was handed over to Jannah, and although I like Naomi she was just a female Finn.

As for him being Rey's love interest......post TFA and before TLJ Daisy Ridley herself stated that her relationship with Finn was that of two good friends, not potential lovers.

As for TLJ being seen as 'trashy' and 'pretentious'....we never know how kind history will be to the movies of the present, but I DO know TLJ received a great deal of critical acclaim. So I doubt if it will be seen as a 'badly made trash'.

6. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    TLJ getting critical acclaim is one of the great mysteries of my life.

7. sian1965

Apr 26, 2020
    One man's meat is another man's poison.
    I actually thought Driver and Hamill's performances in TLJ were incredible - better than some who've won Oscars.

But then I've always thought the Oscars were biased regarding sci fi, comedy, or horror movies!

christophero30 likes this.
  8. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I liked Hamill’s performance a lot

I didn’t like Driver’s performance, but that’s mostly just because I don’t like the character

9. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    Nah. Critics who gave glowing reviews knew it would allow them continued privileged access to Disney stuff.

You see it fairly often with big movies these days.

10. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    That might explain Jungle Cruise getting decent reviews.:D

11. sian1965

Apr 26, 2020
    They weren't as 'glowing' with TROS!

dogprivilege and christophero30 like this.
  12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Good, I hope they are. There is always the option of not making movies with bad gender and racial stereotypes, and that’s not even difficult, given how many movies are able to do just that. Disney Star Wars has managed to do so with Rogue One and with TFA.

So no, it’s not an issue with society. Society has an issue when the conservative white heterosexual male perspective is considered the default.

“Good friends” and “potential lovers” are not opposites. In fact in the best romantic relationships, on screen and off, they are one and the same.

Professional critics and film school types are often pretentious themselves, so a movie receiving “critical acclaim” from them means very little.

Indeed. Example—Gone With the Wind is racist and sexist trash, Oscar or no. Clark Gable was amazing though.

13. sian1965

Apr 26, 2020
    I actually thought that Finn and Rey were very much like brother and sister, but I wonder if that's due to the real relationship between Daisy and John.

TOASTEROVEN likes this.
  14. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Rey and Finn needed to be a couple to make a statement about racial and sexual stereotyping. for no other reason but that statement.

So in years to come I'm sure people will judge this trilogy purely by the lack of that statement. for social and political correction.

And possibly the story too.

sian1965 likes this.
  15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    No. They should have been a couple because of the warm, positive, caring and friendly dynamic they had.

Interesting that you think the only reason they could have been a couple is due to Finn’s race though. That’s the type of argument along the lines of that which claims that a badass female lead or a Black superhero is a “political statement” but a badass male lead or a white male superhero is somehow “not a political statement.”

Rey and Kylo should be a couple—why exactly? And why is their dynamic treated as default and held to such abysmally low and shallow standards? Why is their dynamic considered a “lack of social or political statement” when it is actually an endorsement of antiquated and terrible sociopolitical and gender stereotypes? The stereotypes of “women are nurturing, good women fix bad men through romance, the feelings of the privileged white man are more important than anything else”?

16. sian1965

Apr 26, 2020
    But didn't we get that with Finn and Rose?

17. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    The simple truth of the matter is that in a comparison strictly limited to the films’ Reylo and a hypothetical Rey and Finn relationship… Reylo is so cancerous that Rey and Finn would win by default.

Even as an unrealized hypothetical, Rey and Finn’s platonic relationship includes more believable psychology, emotional resonance, applicable attraction, and positive gain for both characters than the Reylo relationship in the films, and that’s before getting to the “politics” of the matter.

And that’s not to the credit of a Rey and Finn hypothetical relationship as much as a seeking indictment of the Reylo relationship’s canonical toxicity and cancerous weight on Rey’s character.

Like, having genuine “taste” that includes empathy for someone beyond Kylo makes TLJ trashy. That’s it’s problem.
    Well, tell me; does anyone who’s not white actually impact the plot?

No.

All the great non-white actors Abrams gave Johnson and that Johnson cast are crammed into a meaningless side-story about being dumb and making things moderately worse in an already dangerously dumb plotline.
    Well, think of it this way:

“A sad, should-be-successful white guy struggles with a myopic personal conflict strung out over an entire film that then ends with a moral victory” -

- And realize that’s pretty much precisely the kind of role most actors who want an award but don’t want to torture themselves go for.

It’s like professional critic catnip; it’s an entire sub genre of films that seem to exist just to allow critics to vent their desire for motivational films for jaded cynics in their demographic.

18. Awushi Awere

Awushi Awere Jedi Knight star 2

May 11, 2020
    For me he did a good job but I still hurting remember the unfavourable overacting on Crait. Rian should've had an eye on that.

But all in all I feel that some people are a bit biased when it comes to rank the acting in the ST. I mean, you also said it: you don't like the character.

Regarding the current topic: I don't think TLJ's reputation will change soon - in no direction.

19. sian1965

Apr 26, 2020
    Yes.
    Paige Tico, played by an Asian actress, destroys the dreadnought.
    DJ, played by a Hispanic actor, both helps the heroes.....by stealing a ship and picking them up, and unfortunately, then turns them over to the FO. Not good...but impacting the plot.
    Poe Dameron, played by a South American actor, three times impacts the plot. He leads the ill fated mission to destroy the dreadnought, leads the remaining Resistance members to attack the FO on Crait, launches a well meaning but foolish mutiny, and last but by no means least, steps up as leader at the end and makes the decision to follow the crystal foxes. This leads them to the cave exit. Although blocked Rey manages to arrive and use the Force to remove the rocks, thus freeing the last members of the Resistance.
    Also, interesting fact....of the three 'heroes', Rey, Finn and Poe, two are people of colour.
    Of the three 'villains', Kylo, Phasma and Hux....all are white.

20. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    Well, I just saw TLJ again in the Twitter culture wars so I think it’s safe to say it’s going to take awhile before any narrative other than “hating TLJ means you’re an unenlightened -ist” breaks through. Sigh.

21. sian1965

Apr 26, 2020
    As a young 'un, I used to get upset if someone disliked something I loved.
    Now, as an old 'un, I couldn't care less.

22. paradigmes

paradigmes Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 9, 2021
    The side plots in The Last Jedi felt to me like Rian begrudgingly include them, and that if he had a choice, he would not have even included these characters at all if he didn't have to, because his mains focus was his story about Luke and Kylo's squabble. Even Rey was reduce to a go-between.

I think that all Rian had in mind were the flashback scenes and the end "twist", and so he built an entire film around those two things, with the side plots as just incidental, but not important to him.

23. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Well, LFL wanted a female lead since Lucas was there still. And then Abrams advocated for a black lead.

One just needs to see what is happening with black actors across Hollywood. They just need to appear everywhere now. Superman, Batwoman, Batgirl, Mary Jane Watson... One wonders if social inclusion realtes to other races as well.

In the case of Rey and Finn, they had no chemistry at all. If they had been paired after TFA, I would have been super forced. Not that this would have mattered much. You just need to see how little chemistry was between Rey and Kylo. Or between Anakin and Padme even.

Impossible for me seeing people warming up for a set of films done with poor story telling, no innovation at all in designs of themes...

24. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    I actually appreciated that acting from Driver… but, rather significantly, that may be because I like Kylo as a petulant and homicidal madman. I often think that while Johnson was telling himself Driver was playing a deep, complex, and relatable character, Driver himself was still staying true to the psychotic man-child from TFA.
    Yeah… that’s such a minority opinion I think it’s as close as someone can get to being “wrong” on a subjective argument.

The vast, overwhelming super-majority of viewers loved the chemistry between Rey and Finn in TFA. Like, Abrams saw the chemistry the actors had, reshot part of the film to focus on it, and they both won several awards because of it, while the film set box office records.

Now, if you want to try arguing it was an exclusively platonic and couldn’t be seen as romantic, that’s a different story. Still usually a heavily biased, in-denial story, mind you, but different from simple chemistry. Finn and Rey had chemistry as good as the OT cast in ANH, and everything about their interactions implied they could have easily matched the chemistry of Han and Leia if the films decided to pursue that Avenue. The films didn’t, but that’s because the films were in love with Adam Driver.

25. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Now that is certainly an opinion. i never see any romance between the 2 of them. i didn't come out of that movie thinking ah these 2 are gonna get together. and most people will use the race card and say ah you didn't see it because he was black. well even if he was white, i wouldn't have seen it. the script never implied that. and again other will argue well they could have done it in later movies... well thats different. it certainly wasn't implied in TFA. it just wasn't there. some may see it. others don't see it. there is no right or wrong.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
    Darth_Bertie likes this.